Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A bumpy landing

Started by stelmarisa, December 04, 2011, 03:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelmarisa

The stuffy, overloaded wagon shuddered, wheezed, and stopped with a jolt, creaking slightly on its hinges. It bounced a little as the merchant climbed off with a grumble, and the weight was redistributed. In the back, Linna held her breath and shrank further into the shadows. The merchants voice came through the air indistinctly: "Hova, my friend! I'm back!"

Wriggling closer to the fabric covering the wagon, Linna pricked up her sharp ears to hear the rest of the merchant's conversation. "...this lot? Yeah, I've got abou' fifty boxes for Falliel ... unload it and get on. Now? ... maybe  a rest... I'm parched!" The voice came closer, hesitated. "The bar? Of course! Me pockets are burnin' with the haul from me las' job." As the merchant wandered away, his rambling voice and that of his friend grew fainter, indistinct, and Linna let out her breath. It was now or never.

Pushing the fabric away from the wagon's side, she doubled up and slithered off. Her feet touched grass, she stood up and straightened, blinking in the sudden sunlight. Based on the overhead conversation, she could only assume she was in Falliel - although which town was anyone's guess. She hurried away from the wagon and peered around her for a secluded spot, painfully aware that her sudden entrance had attracted notice. She folded her wings as close as she could, her cheeks burning up, and flattened herself against the nearest wall, wishing fervently that she could become invisible.

Anonymous

[ Oh gosh, sorry this reply took an eternity! I swear I am not normally this slow! ]

With a load of freshly baked bread in her hand, Moriander sat atop the bakery's roof, her eyes cast towards the heavens. The louds slinked lazily across the afternoon sky, a rush of whites, blues and lazy greys all tumbling onto one canvas. She took a generous bite of her bread, held with both of her eager hands, watching onwards as the people of Fallial rushed past the bakery. They were so busy here, in the city — as if they were afraid time would slip from their fingers when they weren't looking. Their city, filled with color and noise, moved with a strange elegance that only the bourgeois could pull off. Moriander, spirit mage, did not fit in with them, but she was content to watch.

Down below, everyone almost looked the same. It was easy to brush off all these people, to forget the individual behind the mask they wore out in public. Artisans, merchants, the humble working-class — they all blended together, impasto brushstrokes on a weary canvas. She peered a little harder, attempting to give these people stories and backgrounds, and that's when her yellow eyes came across someone — a stranger, someone who didn't belong, like her — tumbling out of a wagon. Not tumbling, really, but rushing; another busy person, another one with no place to go. She flattened herself against the wall of the bakery, and Mori grinned, mischievous.

She hung her head upside-down from her spot on the roof, her long white hair tumbling downwards as she did so, so that she was eye to eye with the stranger, grinning. "Heya!" she greeted — a stranger's welcome, from out of the blue. With her hawkish yellow eyes, pale visage and snow-white hair, it may have been easy to mistake Mori for a specter, especially when she naturally brought a chilly breeze along with her, wherever she went.

"Are you alright, miss? You look flushed, fatigued even! As if you've been running from ghosts!"

stelmarisa

((Don't worry! I hope you're less overwhelmed with work now?))

"Agh!" Linna jumped in fright as a face appeared in front of her, surrounded by a rush of white hair. She jumped backwards, knocking into the stone wall and stumbled, her feet tripping over themselves. Before she had time to register the stranger's greeting she was falling, wings flapping furiously and unconsciously as she tried to save herself.

Predictably: no luck. Tumbled in a heap, Linna stared up in amazement at the face and stuttered. "Er... erm... I'm, alright. A ghost?" she choked slightly, only now feeling the breeze that drifted down from that shocking stranger. "I haven't seen a ghost." She recoiled into a tighter ball, gazing up with huge, scared eyes.

"Are you a ghost?"

Anonymous

[ Aha, yes, definitely! I'm on winter break now, so I'm totally free! ]

Oh man, she had scared her! Well, Mori was used to that reaction — this wasn't La'marri, where everyone knew her. Sadly, the Wynter name didn't care all the way into Serendipity, which was a crying shame! But oh well, that was why she liked travelling out into the city sometimes — the more people knew of her and her House, the better it would be for House Wynter.

The spirit mage laughed, pulling up from the bakery, and jumping down neatly from the rooftop. "A ghost? Me?" Mori asked, all in good spirits. She poked her arm a few times, pinching her skin. "No, I don't think so — not yet, at least!" She shook her head. "Sorry for scaring you, I couldn't help it! You were ripe for the picking, a perfect target! But really, I'm nothing to be afraid of." Despite those hawkish yellow eyes, the cold air, her ghostly visage...

Those yellow eyes turned to the wings the stranger was sporting, widening a little in surprise. "Oh, wow! Are  you a fae? Not many fae show off their wings in the cities," Mori noted curiously. For whatever reason, she had learned Serenians had a sort of bias against them, but why, well, that was lost to her. She, a proud La'marrian, couldn't understand such a custom. "Oh! You must be new around here," Mori deduced, but it was more of a question, really. She seemed alone — maybe even lost.

stelmarisa

Mouth hanging open slightly, Linna scrambled to her feet, dust clinging to her skirt and over-exposed legs. She flushed, making an attempt at swatting away the dirt, and properly looked at this unusual figure for the first time. At least it seemed that she wasn't anything too dangerous - she spoke kindly enough, at any rate. What she was, though, was a mystery totally beyond Linna's comprehension. She had never seen anyone so interesting, or mesmerising.

She flushed more deeply and cringed as the pale stranger drew attention to her wings. "Oh... um. I didn't mean to. I... kind of." She shifted from foot to foot, hurriedly folding her wings away - as best she could, without damaging them. They might be a great source of shame to her family, but she couldn't help feeling quite attached to them - they were a part of her, after all!

"I'm... half-Fae, I guess? But... I'm not allowed to talk about it, or I-" She paused, confused. She wasn't at home anymore - could she admit her Fae blood? Not that she could do anything with it...

"I'm new, I suppose. I've - I've left home. I just sort of ended up here."

Anonymous

Half-fae, huh... She couldn't help but wonder why this one wasn't allowed to talk about it. Ah, it was probably because the Serenians had some kind of incomprehensible prejudice against the fae, so it would be best not to talk about it on the busy streets of Fallial. Mori, who had lived all of her life in La'marri, still found it a little difficult to dig into the psyches of foreigners sometimes — prejudice of any kind was still an upsetting subject for her to breach, especially considering that she wasn't the least bit human herself.

At the girl's confession, Mori giggled, placing a hand on her hip. "So you are new around here then, huh? I thought so! You have that look — the look of a fresh traveler, striking out to see the world!" The smile the spirit mage gave to the girl was genuine — there was always something endearing about seeing someone leaving home and travelling. From the look about her, Mori would bet her lunch that this was the first time she had been out by herself.

"Hey!" the spirit mage exclaimed suddenly, leaning a little closer to the girl, wearing an excited grin on her face. "Do you want to grab lunch together? You look like you could use a warm meal — and a friend." She tapped her waist, and the coin purse she wore at her side jingled, filled with coin. "Don't worry, it's all on me!"

stelmarisa

Linna blushed and looked down, shifting her feet nervously as the mage laughed and spoke. Feeling herself under scrutiny, she flushed deeper, glad for the curtain of blonde that - partially - hid her face from view. This woman was totally fascinating to her, if not a little bit intimidating. Well - a lot intimidating. Nice as she seemed, Linna just didn't have any experience of people who giggled, and played tricks, and spoke so freely to strangers. If only she could act so carefree!

At the mage's last words, she raised her head, shaking back her hair. "Erm... well... I don't really have any money," she blushed again and crossed her arms over her torso, protectively. "But I'd like that. I guess you're right... I could use those things."

Anonymous

Mori laughed — aww, this was one so shy, it was adorable, really! Mori threw an arm around her shoulder, pulling her a little closer. "See, that's the spirit! You'll be a lot warmer and a lot happier with a belly full of food," she assured, grinning. "And don't worry about the coin — I'll cover the bill," she assured, and took an extra big step, so the coin purse strapped at her side jingled as she moved.

If Mori was anything, Mori had too much money on her hands. She had been taking on a lot of jobs lately, clearing out malevolent spirits from small country towns, and the people who she had helped showed their doled out gratitude in gold.

"So, is there any particular food you've been dying to eat?" Mori asked, looking over at her new friend. She removed her arm from her shoulder, not wanting to overstep her boundaries, since she did seem pretty shy. "I know a good place where we can get meat pies, another that sells warm stew... And the tavern over there sells a mean spinach tart," Mori went on, rambling food ideas. It was rare that she was able to spend a day in the city with someone else, after all, so she wanted to make the most of it!

stelmarisa

Linna's eyes widened as she found an arm around her shoulders, her mouth dropping open slightly. She was definitely not used to such sudden physical contact, but she couldn't bring herself to mind. It was nice, actually. This woman was odd, but she seemed kind enough, and slowly, Linna started to relax in her company. Her listing of food was making her mouth water, anyway, and she couldn't pass up the offer.

"They both sound nice," she nodded along, then paused. "Spinach.. tart? What's that?" she stumbled over the unfamiliar words. "What's tart?" Her limited experience of food didn't include this dish, whatever it was, although she had at least heard of spinach.

Anonymous

Mori laughed a little — there had been a time, once, when she had no idea what tart was either. She lifted a finger in the air, feigning a scholarly appearance. "Tart is perhaps the most scrumptious dish on the planet!" she explained with a laugh. The spirit mage shook her head, becoming a little more serious. "Tart is like, ah, a kind of pastry! It's flaky, but really tasty, especially with spinach. I think you'll like it~!"

She led her new comrade to her favorite tavern, which was just around the corner. It was packed — people filled up the seats, chatting affably to their friends, drinking down spiced wine with a cohort or two. Mori beamed at the sight — no matter where you were, there was always good company to find in a tavern, especially in Fallial.

The spirit mage took a seat at the bar of the tavern, eyeing the barkeep, who seemed busy with other people at the moment. "So! Up for trying that spinach tart? They also have mutton here too, I think, and — oh! If we're lucky, maybe they have freshly baked bread!" She grinned — despite not being able to come here often, she knew the menu quite well. "They also have mead, spiced wine ..." She counted them out on her fingers. "And cider, too!"

And, just in time, there was the barkeep — a scruffy old man, short in stature, but with a kind smile. "What'll it be?"

stelmarisa

Curiosity winning out over her shyness, Linna followed the mage, gazing around as they entered the tavern. She had never been anywhere so busy or so loud. The buzz of chatter filled her ears and intrigued her as they wandered past conversations, arguments, confidential whispers... she couldn't stop herself from staring, eyes wide as she slipped into the seat next to her new friend.

"Oh! Um..." she started as the barkeep spoke to her, realising that she had been distracted from the conversation. "Yes... maybe the spinach tart?" she suggested nervously, entirely unused to ordering food. "And uh...mead?" She didn't exactly know what mead was, but she was all too aware of what wine and cider were. The smell of ale soaked into the wood made her wrinkle her nose, reminded of home.

When the barkeep had left she watched Mori cautiously, trying to pluck up the courage to talk. This woman seemed so kind... she was probably safe. "I - I saw someone that looked a lot like you once," she half-whispered. "When I was a little girl."