Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Somewhere in the Mountain Forest

Started by CastlesInTheSky, May 05, 2012, 06:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CastlesInTheSky

"What are you doing around here, miss? You know, you could get lost."
           "I think I'm fine, thanks..."

A man in his mid-twenties leant against a tree trunk, giving Sasha a look that chilled her, even though it was a smile. Considering that she didn't know him at all, she had met him in the middle of the wilderness, and that he seemed a bit...off, somehow, she couldn't help but mistrust him. A suspicious man indeed, and she wasn't about to hop onto his horse and ride away into the sunset with him. Not that she could even see the sunset from within this dense forest at the mountain's base. And...was that...a dagger on his belt? His hand seemed to be sliding closer to it every moment.

The moment he looked away she stole into the trees, hearing him at first calling after her, then eventually moving out of the range she would be able to hear. After continuing a fair amount of time, farther and farther into the foliage, she began to tire and slowed her pace. So he was gone now. Good. In a moment of satisfaction she looked around herself, and that satisfaction soon turned to dread. Oh. Now she really was lost. Nonetheless, it was still better than being with that creepy man. But how would she find her way back? She knew no spells about direction.

With an idea, she began to climb up a tree nearby, pulling herself not too far before she made a wrong move and tumbled back to the forest floor, crying out and standing up slowly, brushing herself off. That was out. Well...what was she to do? It was getting darker, she could tell that. With a sigh she slid to the ground.

Suddenly, she heard a noise. What could that be? Cautiously, she said, "Hello? Who's there?" It could be anything, but it wouldn't hurt to see if it was someone first.

Xphy

A sense of nostalgia filled Avali as she made her way through the forest canopy. It had been a while, perhaps a bit too long, since she had last traversed these woods. And yet everything about it seemed as peaceful as she remembered it, almost as though it had been left untouched by time. It was enough to bring a smile to her lips, one that hadn't left since the day she had arrived.

Since returning the taleve had spent the majority of her time had been spent wandering the lands, re-familiarizing herself with the area and occasionally visiting the various sites that were important to her. She had also spent a considerable amount of her time meditating, and communing with the local plants and animals. The progress she had made in the recent months had actually surprised her. In fact she felt like she was actually beginning to truly understand what it meant to become one with nature. There was still a lot of room to improve of course, but she was quite content with her recent successes.

They at least affirmed that she was doing the right thing.

She had been on her way back to the spot where she had set up camp when she heard someone call out, and when she looked down from the tree branch she spotted what looked like a teenage girl. That was odd. Why would a girl that young be out here by herself? And at this time of day as well. Didn't she know it was dangerous?

"Are you alright down there?" she called, crouching to get a closer look at the girl. From where she stood she seemed innocent enough, though you never really could tell these days. Still Avali saw no reason to suspect her of any wrongdoing. If anything she was probably just lost.

CastlesInTheSky

"Woah!"

She hadn't expected anyone to be, of all places, above her. In a tree. Well, it did seem like a good place to be if one didn't want to be seen...though thinking about it more, she wasn't sure she wanted to know what one would not want to be seen by, exactly.

"Hi there," she said nervously, "I've...lost my way. Do you think you could help me?" She hoped so.

Xphy

"Is that so?"

Avali had watched the girl below her carefully as she spoke, trying to get a good read of her. It was fairly obvious that she was lost, but she had to have been wandering for quite a while to end up in a place like this. That was always risky since you could end up traveling even further away from your destination and only make your situation worst.

"Where were you headed?" the elf asked curiously. If she knew where she was going it would have made it much easier to figure out what to do.

CastlesInTheSky

"Ah...yes?"

She eyed the canopy with a hand shielding her eyes from the glow of the setting sun, squinting. Huh? It was almost like the canopy was speaking, as she could hardly make out the figure up there. Female, by the voice.

"Well...just for a place to rest for the night, actually. I meant to meet up with someone here, but I can't seem to find them...anywhere." With a slight frown she became a slight bit suspicious that the 'friend' may have ditched her. Well how great.

Xphy

Avali continued to look down at the girl from her branch, still unsure what to make of her. She had said something about meeting someone which was suspicious. The elf couldn't recall coming across anyone else out here. But she had say that she was lost before so it was entirely possible that she might have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

After taking a second to contemplate what to do Avali leapt down from her post not too far from the girl, the large leaves attached to her bow fluttering as she landed. Once she was on the ground she turned to face the girl.

"Unfortunately there aren't villages within walking distance from here. At least none that you can reach before nightfall," she said quietly, getting a better look at her. "If you want you can spend the night at my campsite, which isn't too far from here though." She didn't completely trust the girl or her intentions for being so far out in the forest alone, but she also couldn't really leave her alone if she needed help.

"My name is Avali by the way."