Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

None can excel [Zane]

Started by Heartfrost, August 13, 2012, 10:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heartfrost

Altas Verde. One of Serendipity's eleven provinces. Known for its rare jewels and stones.
The Barony of Videns. Known for its paved roads and for being a great trading hub for merchants and travellers alike. Its citizens knowing of its Baroness feast this evening.
But this was to be later. Right now it was a late morning and the market square was bustling with activity. Merchants were selling everything from cheese to lumberaxes, dogs and children running around, playing. The wealthy Walking in their fine clothes and the beggars begging for scraps. The sun shone brightly down from its perch atop the blue sky, accompanied by a few fuzzy clouds.
  In the middle of the market square a fountain bubbled with life, the blue water circling around the stone markings, bringing life to the stone vines and elves. Somewhere not far from the center of said market, music could be heard above the ruckus. A ring of appreciating citiziens stood around, some clapping, others passing by but not without giving an approving nod.
"That boy surely knows how to play"
"Sure he does! Hey boy! Play "A fool in Kia's Court" for a copper, will you?"

Yes, the spirit of this market day was high but not for everyone. The ruling Baroness of this land was not a happy baroness. And she just entered the market on her way to her estate. The Jade Baroness was not dressed in skirts or dresses this day. No, what adorned her body was the outfit of a warrior. She was clothed in brown leather, with soft boots and enforced metal parts. Over her shoulders hung a bow and on either of her sides walked two guards making the party a total of five people. Nessa's black hair was in disarray, her green eyes dark. Her face was dotted with spots of red, more blood showing on her guards.
  The crowd parted itself before its Baroness. Some greeted her with caution, other held their heads low. They knew that Nessa had spent the night outside, hunting for a criminal. Now she was back, not at all in mood for holding a party.
"Ehum, lady Feyal", a pagé ran to meet his mistress.
"What?" Nessa snapped at him without looking.
"The ministrel you hired ... he ... he couldn't come ..."
Nessa stopped abruptly and turned towards the nervous servant.
"Could not come?" she repeated, her voice brimming with anger.
The poor man couldn't even manage a decent reply only nodded. Nessa felt as if she could strike somebody. She was so mad, the night had been awful, she was tired and sore, and her Illusion needed bettering. Before she ansered, she heard something. A low tune. The Baroness closed her eyes and listened. Was she tasting magic? Didn't matter, she concluded she liked what she Heard. Without answering she walked through the crowd until she found the source of the sound.
"Ministrel! Would you do me a favour and play at my feast tonight? You shall be rewarded handsomely!"

Zane

Desmond was having a grand time playing in the market. Though his voice was sore from the previous night's entertaining, the magic in the music well compensated for the lack of a strong voice. Several people were entranced by the vast array of notes he could powerfully play while maintaining a delightful melody.

But then suddenly, the mood of all the surrounding people changed at once, and Desmond knew why, The Baroness. The last time he had seen the Baroness, it was during his last performance with his fellow apprentices at the grand music hall. Desmond had even gone so far as to compose a piece for the occasion, it was called "The Grand Baroness". He doubted that she would recognize him, that was years ago.

"It would be an honor m'lady. Give me a time and a place and I shall make my way there immediately." Desmond dare not refuse the Baroness.

Heartfrost

The blue-haired boy looked familiar but the tired Baroness couldn't care less right now. She waved the pagé to her side.
"How long until the feast?" she asked, still not giving the nervous servant a glance.
"It ... it will begin ..." the pagé took a deep breath before continuing, more steadily, "it will begin seven o'clock m'lady."
 Nessa stood silent for a moment. That would be about nine or eight hours from now. Not a lot of time to prepare. Luckily most things had been taken care of in advance even though the musician apparently 'couldn't come' for some unknown reason. Nessa hoped - for his sake - that he had been ambushed by bandits, which wasn't very likely. Had he done something else, then he'd be sorry. But that was later. Nessa turned her eyes to the blue-haired ministrel. She didn't look him straight in the eye, but rather at a point at his shoulder.
"Would it be possible for you to arrive at six in the evening? This will give you time to prepare before the guests arrive. Or you could accompany me now. The choice is entirely yours, ministrel. I give you thanks for accepting my offer on such a short notice. May I have your name, so that the announcer will know what to call you? Do you have any preferences when it comes to lodging?"
Courteous as always. Nessa did not feel like standing around all morning, babbling, but this had to be done. She wouldn't want him to say no, not now. Not that he really could. Or well, yeah, he could but who said no to nobility? Nessa had met some and most of them lay dead now.

Zane

"Nay, m'lady, you needn't bother yourself on my accord, I can handle my own lodging. But I am very grateful for the offer. My name is Desmond, Desmond Jacque, and I would like to go now, to get a feel for any additional instruments that might be provided." Desmond was careful with his words, He had no idea what had already been set of for the evening feast. With that he picked his viola off it's resting point on his leg and gathered an change that had fallen loose from the bag he set out, Which was half full.

Heartfrost

"You most certainly shall not. You shall both rest and dine at my estate. Anything lesser would be an insult", Nessa answered. She didn't specify to who it would be insulting and the pagé was doing a chopping motion with his hand over his neck at Desmond when Nessa couldn't see. The servant was punished though, when one of Nessa's guards gave him a whack on the back of his head.
   Nessa was pleased that the Troubadour decided to go with her now. It would make this a lot easier and she wouldn't have to worry about ministrels who didn't show up. Her content was evidently shown on her face and she smiled.
"Excellent. I can see that you are a clever young man, with a feel for your craft. My estate is not far from here", Nessa waved with her hand and her guards once again took their positions (Which they never really had left).
"Pagé! Help mister Jacque with his belongings if he so desire. He should not have to carry all of his burdens if he himself does not wish to do so".
Poor servant boy. But he happily walked next to Desmond. The servant boy was thinking that somebody with ill-matching shoes must be a better comrade than blood-sprayed soldiers and nobility. Not that he was complaining but still ...
  The young pagé tried to share a knowing look with the Ministel as if to say "Yeah, nobility. They suck don't they? But the pay is good".
Nessa didn't care. She was happy that she had found a good replacement for tonight. Now she was a much more happy girl and had she just moments before not felt for idle chatter, this wasn't the case now. The little procession begun walking, the crowd parting once more before them.
"Tell me, mister Jacque, what made take up your craft?"

Zane

Desmond gave the boy his violin, choosing to hold his viola himself. He was unaccustomed to people referring to him by his last name, But it was not something that could be helped, less he wish to risk angering the baroness. "To put it simply m'lady, It was a desire to travel coupled by a love for music and bringing joy. I've been a troubadour for a little under a year now and I've had more fun than I have had in several years."

Heartfrost

The pagé gently took the violin, looking very solemnly as he did so. In his mind this was a quest for glory! He would carry the enchanted instrument - with pride! - until he reached his goal. Of course it was merely silly thoughts, but he had to do something to amuse himself if the Baroness wanted to talk with the Troubadour. He wouldn't get the opportunity. Maybe later when they arrived at the estate.

Nessa listened to Desmond's words. So he took to his trade because of the merriment it gave to him? Very well. As long as it suited him. Nessa thought for herself. She wouldn't want a life like that. Walking from town to town, never knowing if she could make enough for a meal and a bed. Most innkeepers would give a travelling musician food and shelter if they played. Music tended to draw a crowd, improving the inn's chances to earn money. In short, it was profitable for an innkeeper to keep their ministrels happy and content and a meal and a room was a cheap price to pay for the added other customers.
"I see. Is it not difficult? To never be sure if you shall escape the rain and knowing you have no own roof to return to? What do you plan to do when you grow old and your hands are no longer as nimble as before?" she asked, genuinely intrigued.
  The brick and stones houses were slowly replaced by trees. The paved road was wide and well-kept. Nessa walked without effort, her pace determined. She didn't wish to dally because there was things to do! But why not spend the time walking getting to know the ministrel?

Zane

"Well" Desmond began, "usually when it begins to rain, I find refuge under a tall, thick tree. Then I usually begin to play my viola, the constant rainfall and percussions of thunder make for an interesting melody to play too."

Desmond looked back at the pagé, he seemed to be making a game of carrying the violin. Smart boy, he thought. turning back to face the Baroness, though she was not facing him, "as for when I become older, well I suppose I would become a trade master for music, and teach others as I was taught. But that is a long way from now."

Heartfrost

In his mind he was fighting monsters, all kinds of them! Vampires, werewolves and ugly witches. He was succeding because now he could see the sacred temple where he would place the enchanted violin, save the realm and marry the beautiful lady Calyse.
The 'sacred temple' the lad was thinking of wasn't a temple at all. It was Nessa's mansion. The stone wall was coming into view. It was adorned with iron spikes to keep intruders from climbing the walls. On the wall several small stone structures could be seen, where patrolling soldiers could sit and gather more equipment, like arrows or boiling tar to heave over the walls on attackers. But the wall was not only for defense it was also to show wealth. All over the wall stone carvings was seen, showing mystical creatures. Every now and then a stone of jade would slip into the tapestry, depicting an eye or jewelry on an elf-maiden. The Videns were after all famous for its great amount of jade. They had few other precious stones and most of the jade was shipped off to other parts of the Province to serve better uses. Not many jewelers wanted to work with a single stone their whole life, preferring to work with a wide selection of stones, jewels and precious metals like gold and silver.

With another wave of her hand, the guards inside the walls begun opening the thick wooden gate. Finally inside it was evident this place was not a fortress made to stand in a war (Nessa had other places for that).  Raked paths windled through pots of rose bushes, between ivory statues and labyrinthian mazes of green bushes. Gardeners were dressed in sun-hats and servants were polishing the fountains, taking away the green moss. Nessa was pleased with the activity. Things would hopefully be ready by nightfall. She turned her head and looked towards the blue-haired musician.
"I say welcome to my estate. If you play well tonight you shall know that you will always be welcomed here no matter your age", Nessa said and spread her arms wide in a welcoming gesture.
"Guards, at ease. Go attend your other duties", she dismissed the guards and they walked away to well ... attend other duties I guess? Most likely to wash themselves and get out of that blood-dotted armour.
"Pagé! You shall help mister Jacque find his chambers. Treat him like you would a nobleman. He is a guest here tonight and I will not hear that you have been slacking off and neglecting your duties. Before I leave, do you carry any questions mister Jacque?"

Zane

"None whatsoever, m'lady. With your pardon, I shall go get ready." When she waved him off, Desmond went to follow the pagé. When they were within the confines of his room, he closed the door and spoke to the young man in a hushed voice. "Is she always like that or is it all for show? Also here" Desmond tossed the half full bag of coins to the boy, "if you have to put up with that all the time I think you deserve that much more than I do. Just don't get caught with it."

Desmond went on to examine his room, it was obvious that no expense was spared. Turning back to the boy, "Do tell me your name."

Heartfrost

The pagé - who I by the way thinks deserves a little more description. We'll get to that soon - looking a bit puzzled but amused, looked at Desmond.

"How do you mean? Like an up-stuck noblewoman who doesn't even look at her servants? Or like a bitch who gives you a choice but really means you should pick whatever suits her the most?"

When the ministrel tossed a bag of coins, the young servant caught the bag happily. He peeked inside and felt like jumping up and down. He had seen this much money before, whenever Nessa felt like buying something and sent him, but he had actually never ever before been given so much money for himself. In his mind, he was already the owner of a big house, with a goat, a servant of his own (Whom he'd treat like a friend!) and fancy clothes. Of course the money wouldn't suffice for all that, but a young boy is allowed his dreams. He sobered up when Desmond asked for his name
"My name sir? I am Geoffry son of George. But you can call me Jeff. It's much easier to remember", the pagé answered him. Now I feel it would be apropiate for a description. Jeff, was fourteen year old boy. He had brown hair, cut close to his head. Dark green eyes and a small scar that went from the edge of his mouth to his ear, crossing his cheek. He was dressed in green and brown clothes, embroided with Nessa's seal, a lizard and a gemstone. His lips had a pink hue and many could have called the boy pretty. He'd probably be handsome when he grew up.

[center:3f3563k8]~*~[/center:3f3563k8]

At the other end of the mansion Nessa was walking, alone. She was walking in the part where only she dwelled and few servants were allowed. There were no lights here and dark curtains obscured the windows. Statues littered the halls, spiderwebs glittering whenever a sunray managed to reach them. Many things here were broken or deformed in some way. If a mirror was to be seen, it was always beautiful and with an intricate design but the glass always broken showing a shrewd image. While Nessa walked, she let her Illusion fall. The smooth skin became wrinkled, full of dark spots and uneven colour-changes. The eyes sunken, the hair losing its luster, the blackness turning grey. The Jadebaroness's shoulders hung low and she slowly dressed out her hunting attire. A servant had filled a hot bath for her earlier and with an content sight the baroness lowered herself into the water. She preferred things this way. In this gloom not even she could gaze at herself.

Zane

"Well Valiant Sir Jeff" Desmond began, well aware of the game that the boy had been playing, "I greatly appreciate all that you went through to bring my enchanted Violin back to me. Fighting off hordes of... Demons was it? Anyway, I pray that the fair maiden you took on this mighty quest for accepts your hand." Desmond bowed deeply. He enjoyed giving new life to imagination. "Would you enjoy some music?" Desmond said rising from the bow, Viola in hand.

Heartfrost

Jeff saluted Desmond and handed him the 'enchanted violin'.
"It was mighty hard work mister, but I prevailed! Over both demons, witches and ... and dragons even!" Now when Desmond was playing along, Jeff just couldn't hold back his own enthusiasm. When Desmond offered to play for him, Jeff actually made a little jump of joy.
"Yes please! You played so prettily at the market before! It was a shame you had to stop", Jeff said. Without an invitation the boy sat down on Desmond's bed, crossing his legs and looking eagerly at the musicant. There had been something very special about the other blue-haired's boy music earlier today. Jeff didn't know what it had been, just that it had felt special.

[center:3rwp244z]~*~[/center:3rwp244z]

The young pagé Jeff probably could never guess what had made Desmond's music so special, but another person in this house could. Nessa smiled for herself, the warm water covering her all the way up over her mouth. She sighted, making bubbles float to the surface. The water smelled of basil and other herbs. The fragrances embraced the Baroness, colouring the water white like milk. As Nessa relaxed the water slowly turned greener and greener, the nice-smelling herbs beginning to smell like spoiled meat. While the water grew sourer, Nessa however became more and more beautiful. Her skin became smooth and the colouring even, her body once again reclaiming youth. The greyish hair turned black as coal and soft like silk. This was the perfect illusion, going so far as to changing reality. In this moment, Nessa was truly a stunning creature. Well, beauty is subjective so, maybe not to some but most people would like her. At least if I - the storyteller - get to have my personal say in this. Nessa rose gracefully out of the water, like a phoenix reborn from ashes. She spread her arms wide, making a wind blow through the room, opening the curtains and letting the sun in. She wasn't afraid anyone would see her (and if they did, well she'd let them) since this part of the house faced the forest. The Jade Baroness smiled and stepped out of the tub, grabbing a green robe to cover herself with. The colours of her House were red, blue and black but Nessa's favourite colour was green. Her family just had to respect that. She was a Jade Baroness, of course her colour had to be green!

Zane

Desmond set about playing a soft melody that he had written a long time ago. It be low and sweet concerto then quickly grew in strength, there was a small amount of magic in it just enough for the boy. The song lasted several minutes then it came to a slow and beautiful halt. "Well how was that?" Desmond was eager for the young man to enjoy his music, he was eager for anyone to enjoy his music.

Heartfrost

The young pagé sat cross-legged and wide-eyed. Soon he closed his eyes and let the music take hold of his senses. He drifted away into his imagination, guided by the tunes Desmond played. He was running down a meadow, no not running. Walking.

He was dancing with fairies, coming closer and closer to a building in the distance. He could smell someone baking. The fairies guided him (were they the music?) towards the house and a door opened. His mother stood there, waiting for him, arms wide to embrace him. This was a dream Jeff had had many times before. The dream always ended here, his mother's arms just out of reach. He always woke up sobbing, remembering he'd never see her again, because she laid still and cold in a grave and would never bake pie or bread again. Jeff braced himself for the moment he would wake up, never feeling his mother's embrace. But today something was different. Something, held the dream for him. Something said "Not this time". And in this dream Jeff ran the last stretch of the road. He felt his mother's hands on his back, her arms around him. This was the crescendo, the height of the song. Slowly it ebbed away, the landscape fading around Jeff, but not without him seeing his mother's smile one last time. When the blue-haired musicant asked how it was, Jeff opened his eyes, tears running down his cheeks. But these was not the tears of sorrow, oh no. These were tears of joy and the young boy's eyes were sparkling.
Normally Jeff was a very talkative boy. In this moment he could only utter one word:

"Amazing".

Desmond hadn't put in much magic in the song. But it had been just enough, that little extra push that Jeff himself had needed to go that extra stretch of road in his dream, to give him the strenght to help him hold the dream. Jeff wiped his tears away with the back of his hand.
"You ... I saw my mother again. She's ... gone now, but you made me see her. Thank you Desmond, thank you! You ... you truly have a gift, do you know that?" Jeff said looking at the other boy. "You shouldn't play for these nobles. They wouldn't appreciate what you can do. No I'm sorry. I shouldn't say such things", Jeff bit his lower lip.  If the Baroness had heard him say that ... He shuddered.

---

He didn't have to worry though. The Baroness was busy with other things. But not for much long for now it was time.
"Tell the musician to come to the Grand Hall. It is time to begin soon".

((Sorry for the long wait and thank you for your patience! I thought in the next post I'd the describe the hall, but right now I just don't feel like it xD I hope you can manage to answer anyway xD Just give me a poke if you want me to change anything :) ))

Zane

A wide smile spread across his lips as Jeff expressed his gratitude for the music. It made his heart sing to see his appreciation. "Thank you kindly for your concern, but what's important now is for you to dry your eyes, the baroness will see this as a sign of weakness and your life will get worse, but remember the song, lets it sooth your dreams in the future." Desmond knew it wouldn't work like that, but maybe, just maybe, if the boy believed it would, then it would.

There came a knock at the door and another servant entered, "We are ready for you now Master Jacque, if you will follow me." the servant proceeded to lead him from the room. Hopefully it wouldn't be the last time Desmond saw Jeff that evening.

((OOC: Feel free to mod Desmond a bit to put him where you want him))

Heartfrost

Nessa let the maid tie the corset. Green velvet fell in cascades around the pale woman with black hair. Jadestones glittered in her hair, a golden net keeping the black strands in place. Golden emerald rings and bracelets littered her arms and fingers. Nessa wanted to be seen, to be known. No one would leave her party, saying that the Baroness couldn't dress up. Still, the dress was modest for nobility. The skirt followed Nessa's 'natural' shape, rather than using steel cages to expand hips and the like. No, Nessa preferred to show the real merchandise rather than a fake. That's what she would have everyone believe. Most people knew that something wasn't right about the Jadebaroness. Those living in her Barony knew she should at least be as old as some of them. Not looking like a young flower in springtime. But they knew better than to ask and so they kept their mouths shut. "Don't talk about the elephant in the room!", some people would say. Nessa looked into the mirror and turned around slowly, inspecting herself from all angles. Satiesfied with what she saw, Nessa gave a final nod.
"I am pleased. Announce my presence to the guests".
No Nessa hadn't been there to greet her own guests. She preferred to make an entrance too. Some would consider her rude. Most considered her to be excentric. It all depended if you wanted to be her friend or enemy.

Was the choice mine then I'd choose not to come. Seriously, who'd spend time with a Baroness who'd throw a fit if someone happend to ask her age? Nope, I'd like to keep my head, thank you very much. But let us not bother ourselves with my thoughts. Let us instead speak of our other main characther for this evening;
Desmond Jacque. The blue-haired musician who played the violin and gave hope to little boys.

The servant waited until he was sure Desmond followed him before walking away. He led him through the mansion's many corridors and doors, through birght-lit areas and a dim kitchen. He motioned for Desmond to come closer and opened a small unseemly door. When one peeked out it was clear this door was a trapdoor. It lead into the ballroom, concealed behind a drapery. Next to it was the stage. The servant looked at Desmond.
"When her ladyship, the Baroness enters and has descended the stairs and welcomed the guests you shall begin playing. Sneak out when everyone's attention is on the Baroness and claim the stage", the servant sighed, looking out "I do not envy you, boy. Being thrown out there with those vultures", he looked back at Desmond, placing a hand reassuringly on the boy's shoulder.
"I think you'll do fine. Play three, four songs. Then get yourself something to eat. The nobles will be wanting to mingle and talk to you. If you ever feel intimdated by them, excuse yourself and go back to the stage to play. If you can't go to the baroness. She won't let any harm come to you. Her honor can't allow that. Good luck lad, and see you later", the servant said before slipping away, leaving Desmond alone in the darkness, by the trap-door.

Almost immediately the colorful ballroom had its lights die down, focusing on the top of the stairs. There stood Nessa from the great House Feyal, Baroness of Videns, ruler and protector of her domain and all those who resides there. Silence enveloped the crowd as she made her descent. Chin held high, glare stony. Not a smile, only determination. Nessa let her eyes wander over the crowd, never looking directly into somebody's eyes. This might be seen as a weakness for some, to not be able to meet someones glare. Those who knew their Noble Houses knew why the Baroness averted her eyes. Many of the Feyal bloodline had some power connected to the eyes. They could make the persons they looked directly at feel things. Anything from love or fear, or maybe even other things. But one thing was certain. In this room of vipers, Nessa was by far the greatest predator. Her own grounds, her barony. But when she reached the bottom of the stair, she smiled and threw her arms wide in welcome. Tonight she would not bite, because tonight all the nobles, with their daughters, nieces and chevaliers were her guests. Tonight they shall rejoice and dance!

Her choice of words when greeting them, told them so. Tonight, friends. Tomorrow, maybe bitter enemies. But let tomorrow be tomorrow and tonight be tonight.
"Friends! I, Nessa from the Great House Feyal, Baroness of Videns, welcome you all. Dance happily with me tonight, and feel welcomed. Tonight we shall forget the burdens of tomorrow. Let us live all through this night and may good fortunes rain upon us all! I say once again, be welcome!"
Nessa shot a glare from the corner of her eye to the stage. Was Desmond there or not?

Zane

Desmond Quickly turned his shirt and pants inside out after the servant left. Now he appeared to be wearing a Black suit with white stitching forming diamond patterns across his clothes, it made him look very regal. Grabbing up his Viola, he stepped out onto the stage as the lights darkened. He began the opening bars of "The Grand Baroness" A part which was a complex series of notes that, if done properly, sounded like one long, slow, descending bravado. It is so complex, that at the time of it's creation, nearly two and a half years ago, only he was able to play it, none for his performing brethren could duplicate it.

There was no magic in the music, for that would come later. He softened his playing to near silence as the Baroness spoke up. Friends? Desmond mused, I have no doubt that she would cut down many of the people here if given the opportunity. As she looked over to the stage Desmond picked his playing back up, though, not the song he started. Now he was playing to the mood of the crowd, as such his playing was con anima, which was near opposite of the mood of the people, it wouldn't last long though, because now he started weaving magic.

Heartfrost

A small smile spread across Nessa's lips. Young master Jacque had changed his clothing. She didn't know how on Earth he'd managed to carry the extra set with him (It never occurred to her that he could have turned his clothes inside-out) but no matter. The Baroness was pleased to see that the boy apparently knew how to act around nobility.

While she had descended the flight of stairs she had also listened. Something about the tune Desmond played sounded awfully familiar. Nessa searched through her memories.  She had heard this once before ... Nessa snapped her eyes open, the memory reclaimed.
"I heard this two and a half years ago. This very same man performed it!"

She had heard it afterwards too, but from other ministrels. No one had ever managed though to play it so well as Desmond had. It had really showed that they didn't know all the complexity woven into the music. Nessa's smile grew wider. She could only consider this as flattery and flattery was something Nessa loved. Call her many sweet things and she was bound to listen to it.
As the second song begun, Nessa took the hand of a nobleman and twirled out on the ballfloor. Her green grown flew around her legs and she danced effortlessly. She did have many years of practice afterall. Nessa enjoyed herself and judging by the smiling faces of her peers, they were too.

But no party without scandals. When Desmond started to weave magic into his music more than one pair of eyes turned his way. Some of the young noblewomen giggled behind their fans, whispering between each other. They were daring each other to go to Desmond and flirt with him the very moment he took a break. Nessa eyed them with caution. She wouldn't let any of her workers be sexually harassed, no matter if they worked for her always or just one night.

Zane

As Desmond brought his fourth song to a close, he descended the stairs next to the stage, slipping his viola onto a hook on his belt as so his hands could be free. He shook hands with a few people, an introduction here and there, his main goal was to not get caught up in a conversation. His luck ran out as he snagged a drink from one of the roaming serving staff.

A taller man in a very light grey suit approached him. When he reached out Desmond took his hand for a firm shake. "Greetings Minstrel, My name is..."

"Baron Humbert von Gikkingen, but you normally go by Baron." Desmond finished for him.

"Have we met before?" The Baron looked confused

"Nay Sir, But I'm sure most of Serendipity would know who you are." That, of course, was an untruth. Desmond had met Baron before, he had played for his birthday celebration three years prior. But never mind that, a young woman, around Desmond's age by her appearance, came up behind Baron and wrapped her arms around his arm.

"Ah Mister... Uh..."

"Just call me Desmond."

"Well, Desmond, This is my Daughter Elisha. She wanted me to introduce her to you."

Desmond held out his hand to her which she gingerly accepted and shook lightly. Desmond smiled at her then she blushed and looked away.

"If you two will excuse me. I need to get back on stage." Desmond bowed to the two of them and made his way back to the stage, grabbing another drink on his way there. Elisha was very pretty, tonight just might be a long night.