Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

None can excel [Zane]

Started by Heartfrost, August 13, 2012, 10:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heartfrost

"Ah, friends. How we would do anything to twist a dagger deep between each others ribs", Nessa mused while she continued to twirl around the floor, going between several partners, never meeting their eyes. Some people stood by the windows, admiring the full moon other stood in small groups, chatting among themselves. Nessa found it very easy to dance to Desmond's tunes. First she didn't know why, so she dismissed it as great skill. But someone so tuned to Illusions as Nessa was, was also trained in finding magic even if it wasn't hidden. It didn't take her long to figure out why her steps synced so smoothly with every tune young Master Jacque played. It was because he wove magic into the music. Magic which spoke to Nessa's elven side and probably spoke to the many nobles in here. To be full elf was seen as something bad. To be partly elven was something good. The more the better! But not fully, nope that was just ... distasteful. Nessa knew much about this particular topic. It was the very reason why she had not been chosen as High Lady for House Feyal. Her younger sister - Sephira, may all good Fortune smile on her and her blood - had instead been granted that honour, because of her thicker elven blood. Nessa had been furious at first but today she was content with her lot. If somehow she would get the offer to be High Lady she'd probably turn it down, if there wasn't anyone else who could take the title. Then she'd whisk it away to Sephira's children. That was the way it should be. Family was more important to Nessa than all riches in the world and she'd never betray them.

Other nobility was not so lucky. They she didn't give a squat about. But tonight she would not scheme, just enjoy herself.

Desmond stopped playing and went down from the stage and so the dancing stopped also. Nessa curtsied her partner and strode away, keeping an eye on Desmond from the corner of her eye. She became more and more impressed by the boy. He didn't just know how to dress around nobility, he knew how to act too!

Nessa's eyes narrowed when she saw one of the Nobles approach him with his daughter in tow. Nessa recognized the man too. Why on Earth would Humbert approach the ministrel? By the girl's reddening cheeks Nessa understood.

"Oh. Young attraction", she thought, her inner voice seeping with distain. What would a young noblewoman need with a ministrel? Yes, the boy was pretty and skilled. But Humbert would know better than to introduce his daughter ... Another realization washed over Nessa. Humbert didn't know. He probably thought his daughter was intrested in the music, not the boy himself!

Nessa slowly made her way over to the pair when Desmond left to continue playing. She smiled lovingly, keeping her eyes at a spot on Humbert's shoulder.
"Ah, dearest Baron von Gikkingen, how pleased I am to see you here tonight", she said, emphatizing his name. She didn't like that he preferred to just be called 'Baron' and so she insulted him by the thing she did not say. He, unlike her, didn't have the status to put a 'High' before his title. Nessa was usually just called the Baroness of Videns, but if she wanted she had the right to be called 'High Baroness' because of her belonging to one of the Great Houses. She would always be higher up on the social ladder than he would ever be.
"And I see you brought your daughter, young lady Elisha. You have really bloomed since the last time I saw you. Not dallying with boys too much I hope?" the last part she said jokingly but her voice also held a stern warning and she shot a glance towards Desmond, making sure the girl understood. Well, if she wasn't completely daft that is.

((I'm feeling like the interaction between Nessa and Desmond is going a little slow xD Should we have something happen so they get more opportunity to interact? Any ideas? And excuse my long posts xD There's just so many things I want to put in so they like grow all by themselves!))

Zane

The Baron smiled at Nessa, even his eyes seemed to shine. "Ah dear High Baroness Feyal. The pleasure is all mine." Everything about him seemed so sincere, but it was a lie. This is what made Baron a dangerous man, he could hide his emotions like no other, and he was manipulative. He could lead you on that you are his best friend while he manipulated forces in the background to get you a shiv between your ribs. "If you will excuse me and my daughter, I would like to dance with her through the next few songs." With that Baron led his Elisha away to the center of the ball room, an area that was filling up since Desmond had returned to the stage.

Desmond took one last sip from his drink, it was sweet and smooth, his preference. He readied his bow and started to play "The Grand Baroness" but he left off the the opening bars, which would be fine, the song itself was rather lengthy, it takes several minutes playing to get to the bridge of the song, then even longer to finish it out. The people dancing were just eating up the music, reacting to the magic. Desmond himself was having a novel time. He half considered taking up playing for parties more often, but it was more rewarding to play for free and have people give you money just because they were moved by the music. As his first song close he quickly brought up another.

Elsewhere in the ballroom there was a plot brewing, headed by Baron. "Now remember dear," he whispered to his daughter as they danced, "We need to convince Desmond to come with us. I was surprised that he remembered me, that was one night over three years ago, this may help us."

"Do you really think he can get mother to smile again?" Elisha squeaked to her father.

"If he can't no one can." It was at this time that Desmond brought his fifth song to a close and stepped down from the stage, "Now is your chance, try to avoid making eye contact with Nessa."

Desmond walked through the crowd, rarely stopping to talk, making his way to where the food was being served, he hadn't eaten since before he went out to play that morning and now night was fast approaching, he was a bit peckish. He grabbed up a few pieces of cheese and meat and another glass of the smooth wine. 'Eating cheese and drinking wine at the manor of a High Baroness, if only Strata could see you now Desmond', he thought. Desmond turn to find that the Daughter of the Baron was approaching, he leaned back on the table and took a sip of the wine "This should be fun."

"Hello Desmond" Elisha Smiled and curtsied.

"Ah sorry miss but I don't dance, also it seems that the music performer has gone and run off somewhere." Desmond mocked looking around the room which made Elisha laugh

"No silly I just wanted to talk."

"Alright then whatever shall we talk about?"

"I'm not sure but I think Nessa wants me to stay far away from you, at least she made it evident when she approached us after you left."

"Then what are you doing here?" Desmond was interested as to why she would outright disobey the Baroness.

Elisha hadn't expected to be challenged like that, "Well, er... I um"

"Tell me Elisha, what does a daughter of a powerful Baron want with a lowly performer."

"It's not like that, well it is, but," Elisha sighed, "My father has a proposition for you?"

"A proposition?" That was when Desmond happened to glance behind Elisha, only to see Nessa fast approaching, "Something wicked this way comes." Desmond took another sip from his wine. Elisha nodded and curtsied again and walked away, as the Baroness got closer, Desmond bowed deeply. "Ah Baroness! You throw such alluring parties, I'm impressed."

Heartfrost

Nessa smiled sweetly against the lesser nobleman. Of all the vipers in this room Nessa might be the biggest but she always tried to be wary of the smaller ones. The smaller snake the more potent the poison.
"Yes of course. Please do not let me interrupt. This is after all a night of enjoyment".
Once again a lie. No balls were only nights of enjoyment. Yes, there was dancing, singing and laughing but what better time to check up with your allies and throw venom-dripping compliments at your enemies? These events were perfect opportunities to brew plots. Even though Nessa never could imagine in her wildest fantasies that someone would hatch one in her own home meant to undermine her influence. Or at least reputation.

Luckily Nessa was still unaware of the fact and let the father and daughter go to the ballfloor. Nessa quickly stole a young noblemen whose face she liked to dance the first dance with. As hostess she could dance with whoever she liked. As an unmarried woman it was quite rude of her to pick married men. So for the sake of peace she danced with the unmarried youngsters. Inwards Nessa sighed. She wanted to keep a serious conversation every once in a while. The younglings were pretty to look at but way to stiff. Too polite for her tastes. She wanted someone who could talk back not just agree with her. But then again who could blame them? I certainly wouldn't dare to say anything striding against the High Baroness's opinions if I myself was ranking below her.

All those thoughts were swept away though as the music begun. A smile tugged at the corners of Nessa's lips. "I truly could not have picked a better musicant this evening". Nessa reached for her dance-partner's hand and soon there was nothing but a flurry of skirts and tunes.
Nessa changed partner between each song, listening to conversations and getting a feel of the mood. All in all the party was a success so far. Not little of it thanks to Desmond. Nessa made a mental note to herself to hire him in the future. Maybe with an orchestra to accent his performance (And to let the boy take a break a little more often. She was truly impressed by his constitution so far).

The last song ended and Nessa thanked her partner for the dance before she made her way over to one of the serving tables. She hadn't come far before she was interrupted by a servant who walked in front of her. The servant cleared his throat as he walked and gave a nod in a direction behind the Baroness. Nessa turned as the servant continued on his way and her eyes fell on a pair. One young daughter and one blue-haired musician. Nessa narrowed her eyes. Either the girl was stupid for not getting the hint earlier or she was stupid for ignoring it so blatantly. Nessa hoped for her sake it wasn't the former. Without further due she took off, walking gracefully over the floor as if she always intended to go this direction and hadn't changed her mind mid-step. If you looked the part, people often believed it.

Nessa didn't caught the conversation but the girl quickly hurried away before she was even close. Desmond greeted her and normally Nessa would have smiled at the compliment had not other things occupied her mind.
"What does young lady von Gikkingen want with you mister Jacque? Is she bothering you? I surely hope not but if she is I will make her stop. I just cannot fathom why she seems so interested ... You are skilled, yes, but one of her social standing should know better. Is she planning something?"

Zane

Desmond smiled and nodded, what little wine he had consumed was offering a calming effect, "I wouldn't worry about it Your Baroness, Elisha von Gikkingen is merely smitten, but I'm not to privy to the advances of a woman that I've met less than an hour ago. What I am more concerned about is where that damned mistral keeps getting off to, every time I get to a place where I can watch him play he vanishes." Desmond was feeling himself rather than stressed and straightbacked like he had expected the night to be, but then it helped to have liquid encouragement in his glass. He had had sips thus far, no real effect, but the night was still young.

"By now you have probably guessed that I am not merely Desmond Jacque, troubadour. At one time, I was Desmond Jacque, The Prince Of Strings, prodigal student of Strata Veair, and all of Serendipity knows who Strata is." Strata Veair was probably one of the most well known names is the music business of Serendipity, Strata himself was a muse for the late king and his children.

Heartfrost

Nessa did not smile at his jests. She looked over her shoulder and smiled sweetly against a couple walking past them before turning her attention back to the minstrel.
"Indeed I wonder. The next you play at my halls there shall be a band accompanying you. Do not worry though. During the small hours of the night people will start gathering together and not many will continue dancing. Those darkest hours of the night are for quiet talks. It gladdens me however that young lady von Gikkingen is not troubling you. I do wonder why she has taken such interest?" Nessa voiced her thoughts and gave Desmond a curious look.

"Exactly how much of minstrel are you? Are the skills of music and instruments the only skills at your disposal or do ... even perform other kinds of 'entertainment'?"
Nessa said, a wry smile on her lips. Sometimes minstrels didn't only play songs or wrote poems. Some of them lived double life as spies and would hire themselves out to nobles while pretending to be nothing more than mere musicians. It was these kind of 'skills' that Nessa was referring to. If Desmond knew what she talked about she wouldn't need to give further hints probably. If he didn't understand it was probably because he didn't dabble in such arts.

Desmond told her a little of his origin. Nessa didn't need many seconds to search her memory for the name 'Strata'. Of course she knew. All who claimed to know anything about music knew the name Strata and it was said that he had only trained the very best, those who already excelled in one way or another. Nessa eyed the blue-haired boy.
"It seems the Old Gods have been smiling upon me this evening. None can excel sir Strata and few are those who ever grow as skilled as his apprentices. Tell me, the songs you have been playing this night. One in particular strikes my fancy. You have played it two times this night, once during the opening of the party and just now earlier. What do you call it? I enjoy listening to it".

Zane

"Music is my life, because where there is no music, there is no life." Desmond said in retort to her inquiry. He knew of the spies that acted like a musician. They were a stain upon the musically gifted, something that he had been questioned about at many a time when he traveled to another nation, it was obvious that he was from Serendipity. His face visibly softened when Stata's skill was mentioned.

"Aye, none can excel the old codger, but I will be damned if I don't match him." There was a half smile across his lips, it wasn't often that he talked about his life with Strata, people never asked and he wasn't usually privy about personal information. "I would have hoped you would have liked that song, it was written for the performance here in Atlas Verde two years ago, so inadvertently it was written for you. It is call 'The Grand Baroness'."