Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Forged in steel

Started by Ycharley, November 11, 2012, 01:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

Lumina had heard of this Ragnr for a long time, a traveling black smith. It had taken her a while to track him down, which is what to be expected for someone who never stays in one place for too long. She road her large steed Midnight, though she wore a plan color cloak, the material was obviously expensive. Her horse walked elegantly, clearly well trained. The horses black coat had a sheen to it, showing how well groomed the horse was. Finally she saw the traveling cart, she gently nudged Midnight into a full gallop.

She came to a quick halt beside the cart, gracefully dismounting and leading her horse closer to the cart. "Hello is anyone there? Is Ragnr there, I have a job," she yelled. 

Dreamwolf

He heard a horse galloping in the distant, but being parked near a major route made that common enough. Rangr was in the back of his cart applying the fresh coat of clay to the inside of his ceramic lined forge. When he heard someone call for him he jumped and smacked his head into the top of the iron door. Muttering under his breath he hopped out of the enclosed cart to see who had come to him.

"I'm Ragnr, most call me Fen though, so I stick with that, shorter and easier to remember. You've got a job huh? You'll find what you want or I'll make it." He wasn't in a bad mood, he was just sore in the head while he healed the lump, which visibly shrank as he talked.

Ycharley

Lumina seemed slightly distracted as she watched to bump, "I need something made," She said still looking at the bump. She reached to her neck, and jerked a pendent off, breaking the delicate chain that it was on. She reached her hand out, handing it to him. The pendent was unnaturally warm, clearly magic. "This needs to be in it, I want a small sword or dagger, I don't care what style as long as its stylish, I expect the superior craftsman ship that I have heard you possess."

Lumina then pulled out a bottle from her horse's saddle bag, uncorking it and turning it bottoms up. The smell of alcohol leaking into the air as she finally re-corked the bottle, and replaced it in the saddle bag. "Do you know how long it will take you?"

Dreamwolf

Ragnr raised an eyebrow. This one was short and to the point, which he liked. Coyness was not a trait he found endearing.

"I can make you something. I've a short sword I've been working on lately, using a steel folding method. I just need a hilt and pommel to place this in then. I can fashion one of silver or steel wire, which do you prefer, I can also add Gems to the hilt or cross-guards. If it's just something stylish you want I have some pre-made that I could fit this into with a few hours work, or you could wait for a day for the sword, but it will be the fanciest killing tool you have ever seen if you can give me two days." He pulled an iron flask from his tool-belt, tipping it back he took a swig of his own homemade mead. Not s strong as some liquors, but sweet as you could find anywhere.

Ycharley

"I have two days to spare, I'll let you decide, I want it to be a surprise," Lumina said with a sigh. "I am Lumina by the way," Lumina turned to her horse for a second, patting the large animal. "How much will this cost me?" she finally asked, not turning to face Fen. Midnight neighed softly, as if growing restless. Lumina looked up from her horse, her eyes scanning the the area around them.

Dreamwolf

"Two days is plenty to finish the blade and make a hilt and pommel. It'll be a surprise alright." Fen slid his hand along his cart, releasing a secret switch that revealed a longsword of almost divine fashion, with a blade that shone like moonlight. The cross-guard was fashioned from thin steel rods shaped and etched to look like briar tendrils woven around twin cat's eye Chrysoberyls. The pommel was fashioned from silver into a wolf's head with emerald eyes. In the wolf's mouth was a third cat's eye.

"As surprising perhaps as what has your horse spooked." He didin't know for sure so he kept his voice low, so it wouldn't be heard by any others. He presented the bade as though he were demonstrating his goods. "This blade is one of my finest, however, I won't sell it, it's the one I use for my other work."

Ycharley

Lumina looked up at him, a smirk on her face, her eyes began to glow. "We have company," she spoke softly. Lumina then reached out her arm to the right, a glowing ball of light formed. "Lets have some fun," She said before she threw the ball, exploding as several would be robbers ran out. Three of them brave enough to run towards them, while another ran the other way in what appeared to be fear. Lumina ran weaponless at them, chuckling as she did so.

Dreamwolf

Ragnr whipped around as she threw the ball of light, slicing one man in half at the waist and severing the arm of another in a quick fluid switch of position. Grabbing one man he turned caused the man to grow fur all across his body. Dragging the man behind him with strength born from his own manipulations of his body he hacked through five more before the change was complete and Rangr held a limp, terrified rat in his hand. Tucking the rat onto the ground he chuckled as his fox, Tunis, snatched it up, breaking its neck.

"If you have any will to live you will flee, my friends, I've a sore head and a hungry fox to contend with!" He sliced another man's arm off, scarring the wound over to keep the man from dieing "Let that be a lesson to ye!"

Ycharley

Lumina formed blades of light, slicing through one after another in a horrific display of her agility and speed. Cutting the men into several pieces in quick fluid motions. She flipped and dodged, when one finally scratched her with his blade her eyes pulsed with light. Her hand turning see through, she reached into the mans chest, ripping out a handful of his internal organs. At that most men turned and ran away screaming. Lumina sighed, straightening herself up before turning back to Ragnr. "Well that was fun," she said, her voice revealing how much that display of power took out of her.

Dreamwolf

Fen watched the last display with a slight grin. He wasn't fond of excessive use of power, but these men had probably deserved it. Had she prolonged the torture more than just disemboweling the man he might have said something about it.

"Your sword will take a day and a half, I'll take off half the cost for helping me fend off these fools." He gestured to man he was holding by the neck, the man had a deep gash in his stomach, and the wound was healing. When the wound closed Fen tossed the man aside like a ragdoll and spoke again.

"Find a better occupation, my friend, or the next time we meet I will take your head." He shook his own head as the man fled into the woods screaming for his companions. "Usually I don't heal them, but a gut wound is a harsh way to die, especially one caused by a sword as sharp as mine. The last one suffered for three days before I killed him out of mercy. Keeping him alive would have been worse I think."

Ycharley

Lumina shrugged, "I think if they are trying to rob and steal, they deserve what they get. If a man is big enough to raise his hand or his sword he should be big enough to except the consequences," she said stretching. She looked at her shoulder, her cloak and dress cut, revealing a crimson line on her creamy white flesh. She sighed softly before looking away, going back for the bottle that was in the saddle bag. "I hope you don't mind me drinking, if you want I have a few more bottles, I can share," She offered, before taking a drink of the strong liquor.

Dreamwolf

"I see your point, but I've suffered a gut wound before, it's not something I'd wish on another, not unless they had committed a truly heinous crime, like rape or torture. Common thievery...it just doesn't seem necessary." He wiped the blood off his blade using a dead mans tunic as a rag.

"I'd love some of that actually, I'll need it to take the edge off my bloodlust, otherwise I  might have to fight a bear." He rummaged through the bodies taking old jewelry, simple rings, and swords, as well as several Silver coins he would identify later. "I hate wasting and these lads had some half decent swords, definitely made by a Journeyman Smith, or a skilled Apprentice."

Ycharley

"I see one sin the same as another, one day I'll be killed by a younger version of me for killing someone," Lumina said with a shrug. She tossed a bottle to Ragnr, "If you do a good job I might want to hire you to make swords for my guard, though they rarely ever get to draw there swords."

Dreamwolf

"It's a vicious cycle for sure, I've killed many men in my time, but I try to make death painless. I know for a fact a boy of eleven is training just to kill me because I killed his father in battle. Funny thing is, I can't remember which noble hired me, or which noble I was supposed to be fighting. It was one of those stupid territorial disputes that are always popping up. The gold was worth it, and the boy's father would have killed me if I hadn't killed him first." Fen emptied half the bottle with his first drink. Setting it down took the forge out of the cart and set it down on the ground, something he could do only by enhancing his muscles to super human levels.

Starting the forge with a bit of the liquor he quickly got it to the temperature he wanted and retrieves a mostly finished blade from a compartment under the false bottom of his cart. The blade was already in the right shape and length, the only thing he needed to do now was use a special forging method his adoptive father had taught him to make an edge on the blade that would most certainly never dull unless used on a stronger steel, which would be one of Ragnr's own or one of his fathers. The special folding technique made the steel stronger than any normal sword, even without charms added.

"Last chance to tell me if you want something special, little lamb."

Ycharley

"Little lamb, really?" Lumina asked as she stepped closer, then stepped back, the heat too much. "Any charms I wish to add I can do later in the comfort of my own home, but if you could add some sort of script down the blade, that would be nice," Lumina thought out loud, emptying the bottle that was in her hand. She put the empty bottle in the saddle back and pulled out another full bottle.

"So why don't you set up a forge somewhere, instead of traveling around, it would make you much easier to track down, I've been looking for you for a couple of months now, and as long as your not in Connloath, your magic shouldn't matter. By the way, I find your magic, interesting, it must come in handy."

Dreamwolf

Ragnr chuckled. "I once knew a sheep herder who had a lamb that was so small you could lift it in one hand. That lamb went right up to a wolf stalking the herd and bit its nose in defiance. Lambs are surprisingly brave."

He emptied the rest of the bottle as she asked about why he didn't set up a forge in one place. "I'd say the biggest reason is that I like travel, and a lot of my business is selling things I get in trade for work done. Most farmers can't afford a new plow in coin, so they often pay me with meat or grain, which I sell to merchants for coins. Only three of the swords in my cart are actually forged by me, the rest were traded for better swords I'd made. The silver inlaid broad sword was given to me by a knight along with four silvers for a newer sharper long sword. I re-forged the blade and now I'm selling it for the cost of the work."

He took a tapered rod out of his cart setting it beside the anvil. "Scroll work is extra by the way, you prefer vines or would you rather I place the strengthening charms in the scroll work and make it runes?"

Ycharley

Lumina chuckled, "Runes, the harder the better, or at least that's what I've heard," Lumina leaned back stretching. "Price is not a problem for me, I have coin and jewels, you can have either, what ever your price ends up being," Lumina stood back up straight. She then started popping her knuckles, "How do you like this weather, I find it rather chilly, but some one like you probably finds it nice," She replied, part question, part statement.

"So why do you wear that patch, hiding something?" She started, joking slightly.

Dreamwolf

He chuckled at the mention of the air. "Actually, I'm from the northern part of Connloath originally, and grew up with my adoptive father traveling in the colder northern climates so I do enjoy the cold weather. However I also enjoy swimming, which is difficult to do if the lakes are frozen." He stopped moving totally when she mentioned his patch.

"Aye, I hide something under it." He pulled it off and turned to face her, the vibrant green eye glittered from its nest of scars. "I was called a demon one day and tried to cut it out, to stop the taunts. It's the one part of my body I can't change with my power, and I keep the scars to remind me that I am my own person and I won't be changed by another's wants and taunts."

Ycharley

The scars didn't seem to both lumina in the least. She shrugged, watching him work. "Then why hide them?" She asked softly, her voice gentle. His story reminding her of her own past, and her own scars. Her scars were naturally covered my her clothing, which she was thankful for, she would probably get tired of explaining. Her thoughts finally leading to her mother, and her curse. She nearly emptied the full bottle of alcohol, forcing the thoughts away.

Dreamwolf

Sighing Fen got up an pulled a small barrel from his cart and set it down beside his work area. The potato liquor within was some of the most potent stuff he had, which he'd gotten in trade from a brewery in exchange for a large caldron to boil hops in.

"I just get tired of explaining it to people. That and they stare at my eye, which is annoying. Imagine going to town and having everyone stare at you like some kind of freak. Bad enough I was old to remember my parents and how they were hunted down like animals, but people have to gawk at me while their at it!?" He began etching the runes into the hot metal. Despite his drunkenness his work was still skillful and beautiful, the runes blending seamlessly with vines that also shaped animals and flowers. The Runes could clearly be seen, but looked as if they were part of the vines, which they were.

Fen turned to his customer. "All that's left is the pommel and hilt. Do you have a preference for stones? Something that works better with your gift, or has a special connection with you or your family?"