Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ah what a day.... [Dreamwolf]

Started by Zane, November 17, 2012, 12:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zane

It was a lazy day, one of those days where you had decided to do something that was a bit important, such as reaching the next town, then made very, very little effort to get it done. Today was really just one of those days. Zane had set out to get to the next Provence today, but now it was apparent that that was not going to happen.

Zane was currently sitting atop an rock outcropping in the middle of one of the larger forests that are found in Northwatch. He had planned on getting to Featherfall but that didn't seem to likely anymore. Zane sat back on the rock, enjoying himself. He had pulled off his cloak so he could move his tail freely. He was going through his bag, taking stock of what he had. He had several dozen different dried herbs and three containers of cut paste, which was one if Zane's new concoctions, it was basically a paste made from herbs and minerals. It was used in cuts which got rid of pain and helped to heal the cut.

Contients of his bag accounted for he switched over to his quiver and counted out twenty-five arrows. Which was fairly good considering how much he actually went hunting. Realizing that he had plenty of arrows he set the quiver beside him and leaned back. Closing his eyes he started to drift off, basking in the high sun.

((Ooc: hope this is alright this was all I could come up with))

Dreamwolf

She was forever curious, but today was different, today she was on the lookout for something important. She'd found the blood trail at the edge of the forest, and had already met with the one responsible for wounding the animal that was bleeding. The Hunter had shot at the mountain cat with no intention to eat it or to even use it's fur, just to eliminate the competition. The hunter was now a small rabbit running for home in terror.

Although her magic could not heal the cat (she was a Forest Spirit, but her skills were limited to animals like herself) She wanted to help it anyway. She found the creature, and lifted it easily, taking it to the nearest clearing she could find, where she found another being, one that felt similer to her mother, only slightly different.

"Luna does not know who you are, but Luna asks you help with this one, she is hurt and has kit-pups. to care for."

Zane

Zane heard a rustling off to his left and opened his eyes as a young woman entered the clearing carrying... A lynx? When the woman set the cat down and asked for help Zane sat up to take a look. The creature was most definitely a lynx. A lynx mother too, evident by the small mound running across her belly. Zane ran a hand across her side and she purred slightly as if his touch affirmed who he was. Zane noticed the problem immediately, the lynx had been bitten on he back leg. There was a fair amount of blood but the wound was not life threatening.

"There is no reason to worry she shall be fine." Zane got out one of containers of cut paste and dabbed a bit onto his finger. The lynx eyed him cautiously as he lightly grabbed her hind leg. She growled as his fingers approached the bite. "Relax my dear. This on my hand will help you" he spoke to the lynx. She seemed to relax but she understood him because she allowed him to fill the bite marks with the paste. It wasn't long before he was finished. She looked up at him and he nodded. The lynx got up and lightly laid her paw on the ground, testing her leg. Soon she put her full weight on in and started purring loudly. She nuzzled his cheek the nuzzled into the newcomer's side before running off, probably to her kits.

"So I take it your name is Luna, hi I'm Zane."

Dreamwolf

Luna watched the stranger care for the lynx, the paste he put on smelled of herbs and maybe some kind of oil, which she guessed would be used like other such pastes she'd learned about, to hold everything together.

"Yes, Luna is Luna. Luna is glad to meet Zane, he seems very nice and feels like Mother. Is Zane a Forest Spirit too? Luna is a Forest Spirit but Mother said Luna must learn of the world before she finds a forest. Then Mother became the Forest. But Zane does not look like he is the forest, will Zane become the Forest too? Will Luna? Or does Luna get to choose?" Coming across another forest spirit was something the young wolf girl had not expected, as she thought all forest spirits became like her Mother, a part of the forest they were attached to. She had many questions, but for once in her life felt slightly nervous in another person's presence. This Forest Spirit was older than her by centuries maybe and much more powerful.

Zane

So she was a forest spirit too. That would explain how she was able to get close to the lynx. But what was this about becoming the forest? "Well I can purify liquids to water, talk to pretty much all animals, only real exception is the banshee, bloody monster that is. Also I'm over two hundred years old. Now I don't know much about myself, I was alone in my earliest memory. What about you? What do know about spirits?" 

Zane sat cross legged and looked appreciatively at Luna. In two hundred years he had never met another forest spirit, he had met fire spirits, water spirits, a rare white stag, and killed a banshee. It had been bound to happen sooner or later.

((Posts will be slow today. I'm not near a computer. ))

Dreamwolf

Luna furrowed her brow at the question. "Mother said Forest Spirits protect the Forest and the Land forever, unless the dies or they go on journeys. Luna was told to go on a journey before she found a forest. Mother said Mother needed to become the Forest to keep the Forest safe, then she disappeared. Mother was almost eleven thousand years old. She was old, even for a Forest Spirit. Luna is only Fifteen though. Mother said Luna grew fast because she is Special."

The wolf girl let her tail and ears grow out, no longer feeling the need to keep them hidden. Once free of her restrictions she also let her powers flow more naturally, not having to worry about humans getting influenced. To a human should appear to glow with an unnatural light and that her overall magical power had tripled, to another Forest Spirit she would likely appear to just not know how to control her power properly.

"Luna can also make water clean and heal hurts. Luna can also turn bad hunters into prey. Sometimes Luna get angry and makes the storms come. Dogs don't like Luna either, they always get scared."

Zane

Zane contemplated what she was saying for a little while. It seemed to make sense to him, he knew that when a spirit died that became a banshee, it was a sick sense of irony that would inspire the creator, whoever they were, to turn a positive force into a most negative one. He had been about to speak up when the pressure of the surrounding air shift and his stomach plumitted. He looked to Luna, who now had ears and a tail. "Ah so you are of lupine descent. Do you mind if I bring your attention to the trees at the edge of the clearing? A few minutes ago these tree's branches were drooping, not unhealthily, but look now" the tree's branches had picked up significantly.

"You see your aura gives new life to a forest. Once you leave here the forest shall slowly decline until it goes back to it's original state. But say you were to live here for a little while before leaving. The absence of your aura after a long period of time. The forest would be unable to sustain itself." He hadn't known that when he left forest Kerim. It was now dead.

Dreamwolf

Luna listened and looked. The one called Zane was right, the forest was healthier, the trees looking better than when she entered.

"Luna did not know this. Is this why Mother became the Forest? So it would not die?" She looked at a flower that had bloomed by her feet. She plucked the flower sniffing it and sneezing. "Luna misses Mother. Mother is still in the forest, but she is not Mother anymore."

((not my best but I'm cleaning house so im a bit distracted, ow, just got a pillow thrown at me for slacking))

Zane

"I'm not entirely certain but that would make sense." Zane thought hard about what Luna last said, her mother was no longer her mother after she joined with the forest. Was she unable to take on a human form? Or did she become more powerful? Or did she become ultimately defenseless as man would continue to expand. He had already come across where entire forests had been cleared out to build home and cities. It was disheartening as what Luna had described seemed like a death sentence. "Tell me about your mother Luna."

Dreamwolf

Luna perked up after being asked about her mother. "Mother was once a she-wolf who led her pack with honor and courage. When humans came and tried to kill the forest and the pack Mother was struck down by a human stick-thing, Luna thinks mother Meant a spear, and was granted power by the Forest. Mother lived for many years after and fifteen years ago Mother met Father, a Wolf who lead his pack like she lead hers. Mother had Luna and raised Luna. Mother was a GIIIAAANT White Wolf who looked like snow fresh from the sky. and her eyes were like the sky after a rainstorm, all blue and sparkly."

Luna looked at Zane her eyes wide with admiration for her Mother. "Mother could make trees grow a hundred years worth in just a day, and make animals who were killed become earth with just a touch. Her Song-Voice was loud and clear and would make even mountain cats want to sing with her. Without Mother the forest animals would have died wouldn't they. So that must be why mother became part of the Forest, so that the Forest would live, so that Luna would always have a home to go to."

Zane

"Your mother sounds like a force to be reckoned with. I would have loved to meet her." Zane was awestruck. That was one powerful spirit. Could he, given time, become as powerful as her?  Zane didn't  know his lineage. Or if he had one for that matter. This was the first time to his knowledge that he had met a nature spirit. Then something crossed his mind. "Where is your home Luna?"

Dreamwolf

Luna looked at Zane as he asked and realized she could only vaguely remember the way to her home and how to get there. "It was to the north, maybe one month if Luna walks quickly in human form. It was winter most of the time, and Luna remembers the summer was very short, only days not months. Mother's Forest was gilded in silver frost most of the time and the snow was deeper than Luna is tall in some places."

Zane

"That sounds like Hyoite to me. But I don't know of many forests in Hyoite. And the few I do know of are isolated." Which was good. It meant that the forest would not know the touch of man for a long time. But then he felt a familiar presence near. He turned to see the lynx enter the clearing once again, this time with two kits in tow.

The lynx mother laid one of the kits in Zane's lap and the other in front of Luna. Zane gingerly stroked the kit, who playfully nibbled his finger. Zane looked to the lynx mother, the two of them exchanged glances and nods for a few minutes.

"The one in front of you. Her name is Roh.  Roh in the animal language means harbringer, the human equivalent is apex hunter. Roh was the first to get fresh kill between her and her brother. The lynx mother says that you are like Roh because you killed the mountain cat. This little guy" he motioned to the kit in his lap, "is Tair. It means lifegiver. The lynx says that I am like Tair for helping her. Their fathers name is Rohtare and he is the spirit of this forest."

Dreamwolf

Luna looked at the little ones. To know that she was not alone, a child of a Spirit and a normal animal, was relieving, though she did not know why. Luna looked at the mother Lynx and smiled.

"Luna thanks you for show her your kit-pups. Though she did not kill the mountain cat, Luna only turned the mountain cat into a rabbit. Luna will leave a fresh kill offering for Rohtare, just as many others left them for Mother." Luna then recalled her chosen mate. "Luna should leave a prayer with Rohtare, so that if Fen comes this way Rohtare will not harm him. Fen is a hood human, he does not kill for pleasure and eats everything he takes. Fen will be Luna's mate, no matter how long she has to wait before she wins."

Luna realized she had thought aloud and smiled, a blush forming on the usually oblivious wolf girl's face. "Fen is a Human who help Luna once. Sometimes she travels with him. He is strong and kind and knows what it is like to run as Pack."

Zane

"That sounds like a novel idea Luna," Zane then turned to the lynx mother, "Could you take us to Rohtare?" the lynx nodded before turning and slowly walking towards the edge of the clearing. Zane stood, picking up the kit, and followed. His mind flashed to Owlet when Luna mentioned Fen, he wondered how she was doing after he had left, maybe he should go back. HE brought his attention back to the present as they neared a white oak tree that was surrounded with cat tails. The aura coming off the tree was very uplifting.

Dreamwolf

Luna carried the kit that had been placed in front of her, gently as to not wake the creature which had fallen asleep. She followed Zane and the lynx ad when they came to the oak tree she felt it deep within her.

"Mother used to feel like this, only a little different. Luna remembers, mother lived in a big Hemlock tree. It was always warm around the tree and snow never fell at it's base."

Zane

Zane knelt next to the tree, at the edge of the cat tails. "Rohtare, my name is Zane. I helped your mate today, but I'm sure you already know this," several of the cat tails leaned over to him. Touching his head and his shoulders. The wind picked up ever so slightly.

Thank you, Zane.

It was barely a whisper. At fisrt Zane wasn't sure he heard it. He looked over to Luna for a moment then pulled several herbs from his bag and laid them at the base of the tree.

Dreamwolf

Luna had snatched a rabbit, the same one who had attacked the other Spirit's mate, she knew from the smell, and laid it's dead body at the base of the tree, she too was thanked and greeted, making the of girl smiled.

"Rohtare, it pleases Luna to have helped your mate. In the forest those of the mountain do not belong, they should not hunt where they are not welcome."

Zane

Zane looked down to the kit that had curled up in the crook in his arm, then back up at the tree. "I would have loved to have met you when you were in our form." He then slowly stood from here he knelt and turned back to the lynx mother. She looked at him for a long moment then at the tree, something compelled Zane to look back. A figure stood in the cat tails, a lynx fur draped across his back.

"Why can't we? I don't have long though, I have to go back to my other form before too long."

Dreamwolf

Luna looked at the fur clad man before her and gasped. Her own mother had used a similar form when talking to a human that had entered their forest looking for wood to use. The memory of her mother, dressed a green tunic with her own pelt as a cloak made the girl shed a few tears of happiness, a thing she herself did not understand.

"This wolf is happy, but tears are flowing. Luna remembers Mother so clearly now she cannot hold her joy."