Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lighting of the Lake

Started by visualspice, November 28, 2012, 11:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Valia was beyond tears and was down right sobbing as make up  and diamond glitter streamed  down her face.
"Gods, I'm going to die! I'm going t o die!" she cried, clinging on around Drin's neck in a death grip and refused to let go.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

ooc: I assume people were not waiting for me to post. (Good lord, I hope not! ) It's been about a month since anyone has posted though so I'm going to tackle this now even if I don't think Laighean is particularly interested in water fights with bees!

ic:

He found the bee train to be a great source of amusement as he sold candles. The people of this world were so strange! Part of him felt bad for them and especially for the poor priestess who was now floundering about in the lake while the other three people were- well, he wasn't quite sure what to make out of that scenario! There was a girl in pink whom was perched on the shoulders of a large man and then there was a boy who was swimming towards them and there was a lot of splashing around and ....bees.

If he didn't know any better, he would have used his water magic to deter the angry insects  , but Connlaoth , like Aella had told him , seemed to be terrified of magic and so he refrained. Those poor people would have to fend for themselves. He needed to finish selling candles! He didn't know why! He just needed too! Besides! This candle business was introducing him to a lot of gorgeous opportunities, you know! He winked at the young lass he sold the last candle to, " How'd ye like to 'ave a candle lit dinner with me this evenin'?" Well, that was incredibly forward but Laighean was hardly ever subtle about what he wanted anyways! He waggled his eyebrows at her and put on his most charming (in his mind) smile . The lady blushed and shook her head. Then a man appeared behind her with a nasty look on his face and Laighean took the hint, laughing in good humor. There were always plenty more fish in the sea!

Candle business concluded, he made his way to the lake to find the priestess whom had just pulled herself to shore and was lying there on her back, gasping for air. Laighean knelt down beside her and placed her coin box on her stomach, "Ah sold all of yer candles. " He grinned broadly, "So ah was thinkin' ye might -"

"GET LOST, CREEP!"

Laighean pouted. Well, that wasn't very nice! 

visualspice

The day was getting later, the sky now turning violet with the first dusting, soft sparkle of stars. The festival was to begin shortly as people began to gather at the edge of the lake shore...
and on the side Valia and company were located on, they were beginning to get a lot of peculiar looks since the storm cloud of bees had long vanished.

But on the other side, a very pretty and lonely girl was looking around, and despite the sun's light waning fast, she happened to catch sight of a particular man against the crowd- a very peculiarly familiar one indeed.
Gasping, she stepped a bit closer his way and muttered, "Laighean?'" Though who's to say the boy could actually hear her, considering he was on the other side of the lake where clouds began to form.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

With a few more hours left til dark, Laighean started contemplating whether or not he should find his siblings and rejoin them. He hadn't really lucked out with many of the ladies he'd flirted profusely with. Oh sure, he'd probably had a dozen kisses , but nothing beyond that. And poor Laighean was just a little disappointed, but the disappointment was quickly lost in the festivities.

He wasn't sure what was going on either , but he stood among the crowd gathering before the lake and watched them curiously. Honestly, these people were so weird. He considered leaving the lake to return to the drinking ,the feasting and the dancing when he looked up and spied a lass across the lake. From where he stood he couldn't quite tell that it was Aella , but he waved nevertheless and called, "HEY!"

And some people raised their heads to look at him as though he'd lost his mind.

Fortunately for Laighean, he was oblivious to that. 

visualspice

Aella's purple eyes went wide as he waved at her. Her body went rigid, flush heating to her ears before she realized...
Oh no! Wasn't he a wanted criminal now? She looked around nervously to see if any of the other servants noticed (or remembered) but they seemed too engaged within their own conversations to care. She just hoped he wouldn't draw any unnecessary attention her way as she tried to gesture towards him, with a weak wave, to cut that out!

Paradox

The lass was looking his way , but he wasn't sure if she could see him or if she might have been ignoring him. Part of him was disappointed when she seemed to be giving no indication of noticing him. But then, he grinned. It looked like she was waving back (which she really wasn't , but it wasn't as though he could see the subtle "knock it off, you dummy" gestures that she was trying to make). "She's wavin' back . Hallo lady across the lake!" He waved some more.

"Is that Aella?" And the more he thought about it....well, the castle looked familiar too.  By the Guardian's fangs! Wouldn't that have been hilarious? "Ah think it is. Tha' dress is way too big..." He pouted. Laighean hated those silly poofy dresses Connlaothian nobility seemed to favor. It wasn't as easy to put his hands on...oh..."

He looked down. "Eh?"

A girl of perhaps eight or nine touched his hand with ....

"Oh. Is this fer me?"

The child nodded, "For the ...celbreyshin."

Laighean accepted the 'floating candle' and grinned, giving the child a pat on the head, "Why thank ye, lass. Ah'm afraid ah danne 'ave any coin though."

The child beamed up at him , "It's kay . I have one too. It was my bruthoor's but he said it was dumb so you can have it since you don't have one."

"Well, then! I'll be 'appy to accept. Thank ye."

He then looked across the lake and held up the candle for Aella to see. Then, with his free hand he gave her the thumb's up and winked . Though she probably couldn't see the latter.

visualspice

Aella paled. It seemed Laighean just wasn't getting it, but then he was distracted and for a moment, she breathed a sigh of relief-
but another moment later, he was happily holding up an unlit candle, that of which she could barely make out across the river.
So she blinked, not just once, but twice, before her mother returned behind her.

"The ceremony will be starting soon.." Duchess Melora said, cold hands upon Aella's shoulder.

Aella could have jumped clean out of her skin when her mother returned. Thankfully, for now, Melora's eyes were avoiding Laighean's direction.

Paradox

ooc: I don't have much to go off of here so I hope you don't time progressing a bit.

ic:

Laighean grinned like an idiot because Aella was still looking his way. He wasn't waving anymore. He knew he had her attention and he was quite pleased!

She totally digs me. Lasses always do. Way to go, Laighean, ye're sooch a braw stallion.

It was only a pity that he couldn't cross the lake and say hello up close! For one thing, he didn't think the people here would have an appreciation for his water-walking spell and for another thing...he was a wanted criminal...oh. Right. He'd sort have forgotten about that.

"There he is! That's the mage that tried to kidnap Lady Aella! Arrest him!" One of the Hellvion Castle Guards had spotted him .

"Oh ,shite!" Laighean had no other choice but to run with two guards tailing him. He weaved his way through the crowd, rarely pushing anyone and being slowed down a LOT because of it. Fortunately for him, the guards were also having quite a hard time maneuvering because of how many people there were and how absorbed in the festivities they had become. People simply didn't move!

He finally broke away from the larger crowd that was gathered before the lake and made it back into the city proper with the guards not far behind. At least here he could run faster, but so could the guards. They , however fit they were, were hindered by their heavy , decorative heavy armor (ooc: not sure if you imagine Hellvion Guard wearing plate or chairman or perhaps a little of both. I will leave that up to you. Either way, they're both heavy.)

Laighean paused in one of the alleyways and looked up. The moon was already beginning to rise. "Oh dear...ah better 'ide before..."

"Gotcha!"

"Shite!"

He looked forward and behind. Both exits were blocked. "Nae, boys. Let's not be hasty here..."

"Careful! He's casting a spell!"

"Put your hands down! That's an order!"

Laighean rolled his eyes and started waving them around in an overly animated fashion, "Ah'm a castin' th' meanest, scariest spell in all of Connlaoth!  "

The guard before him dropped his sword and torch , his expression looking horrified.

Laighean chuckled, "Oh, c'mon! Ye cannae be serious, lad. Et was joost a wee joke. "

The man's eyes were wide, his complexon pale and  he was shaking .

"What's wrong with ye? Ye look like ye've seen a ...."

"G-g-ghoooooossssst!" The other man behind him cried and charged forward with his sword in hand. He passed through Laighean and smacked bodily into the other guard, the impact knocking the pair of them unconscious.

"Ooookay then. Guess tha' takes care o' that!" Laighean shook his head at the pair and stepped over them even though that action was entirely unnecessary.

As Laighean passed the torch, he felt something in his foot. Sensation from the light. He bent to pick it up and gasped. "Well, this interesting...." Part of him that was exposed to the flame's light became whole again. "Wonder if me brother has this part figured. "

ooc: I'll leave it up to you to describe the ceremony since you know more about it than I do. >>   

TheHighwayman

((OOC: Whoops. I may or may not have dropped the ball on this one...))

Well, on the one hand he hadn't drowned, and on the other the stupid demon-girl wasn't responding to his demands. That was no good, he'd never get his soul back like that. Ignoring the girl clinging to his neck (the large man could breath well enough now that he was upright), Drin trudged onto dry land.

The big man looked at Valia with almost literal fire in his eyes and growled, "Not if you shut up and give me back my soul, demon! Quit crying and hand it over, now!" Giving her a good shake for emphasis, he looked around to make sure there wasn't any trouble approaching. He didn't want to have to fry anyone before he could finish his task. A few soldiers were running after another man, but nothing coming his way yet...

"You heard me! Hand it over. You know full well what I can do if you don't!" As if to demonstrate, Drin looked up and opened his mouth, and a thirty foot spire of flames shot out.  Shutting off the blast and glaring at Valia once more, Drin's vengeance addled mind slowly pieced things together... "Oh. Connlaoth. Right. Bad idea."

visualspice

Valia stared at Drin..
and stared and stared and stared before suddenly her eyes rolled away, her grip on his neck slackened; and she fainted dead away onto the ground.

And as if on cue, the very moment Drin's mouth flames went out; the entire lake shore fluttered into tiny speckles of flames, for what wasn't heard during all of the ruckus was Duchess Melora announcing the start of the festival, which included all of the rules the group would not have heard;
Though it was evident something was going on, as each floating candle took to light, and the crowds were all gathering up to the shores and pushing their candle toward the island in the center, hoping their glowing flames would head towards the most beautiful woman of their choice.

Rhindeer

Valia wasn't the only one that went pale with fright at the sight of the flames.

Though in Faolán's case, at least he didn't faint!

He had just pulled himself from the water when it happened and, gasping in horror, he drew his blade--which may have looked more impressive, if he didn't look like a drowned rat, his clothes clinging to him and making him look even thinner, and if water didn't pour from his sheath as he drew his sword. All in all, the effect was more comedic than intimidating.

"Get away from her, mage!" he said, and hoped his quavering voice was interpreted as being caused by the cold. Behind him, the lake lit up, and with a sinking feeling Faolán realized that the man's flames probably went unnoticed because of the distraction. It couldn't have had worse timing.

Still, he used the distraction to his advantage (he hoped!) and lunged for Valia, grabbing her under one arm and dragging her away from the man as quickly as he could--what with her weighing more than he did with that ridiculous sopping dress weighing her down, and with him trying to balance a sword in his free hand and look somewhat menacing!

God, he was going to be in so much trouble! This was not how this escort job was supposed to go!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

While Valia remained unconscious in the boy's arms, a lot of things were going out without notice. Like the start of the ceremony, a reckless fire mage being on the scene- and most importantly- Valia herself missing the show! With the candles all being lit up, dancing like the stars that now glittered int he skies above, Aella stood beside her mother and watched in breathless wonder at such a sight.

"Oh, mother... it's so beautiful," Aella gushed, eyes sparkling as they reflected the sight. And as the announcements were being made for every man, woman and child with a candle to push their floating candle towards the most lovely of women, Aella seemed not to notice. She was in too much awe at such a sight of beauty before her- for the entire lake lit up like the night sky.

Rhindeer

The lake was lighting up beautifully, and Faolán was stuck here, dragging the horrible Lady Valia away from a crazed mage! Fortunately, it didn't seem like they were being followed, and once he had dragged her a safe distance away, he propped her up against the side of a building. Panting from exertion (Ansgar was she heavy!), he looked her over and gave her a shake, trying to wake her.

"Lady Valia? Wake up, please!"

And, when that didn't work, he slapped her lightly on the face. "Valia? Valia! Get up!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

At the slap, Valia lurched into awakenedness, and the second she realized she had no idea who this man was that held her, she freaked out and clobbered him- but a moment later, she soon realized she did know this jerk and proceeded to clobber him again.
"What is this meaning of this!? Unhand me!"

Rhindeer

"Ow! Ow! Valia!" Faolán yelped, and threw his hands up and ducked his head in preparation for a third strike.

"Hold on, let me explain, please! You fainted, m'lady. I just rescued you! There was a man and he was making flames and I pulled you away from him and--" He took a deep breath, having run out of air somewhere in all that gushing. "And you're okay now! We got away! So don't hit me!"

visualspice

"What!?" Her words came out barked and angered. But as she remembered it, her cheeks flushed.
"But I..."
But oh.. what was this? Something glittering caught her attention as she sat up at attention, eyes going wider than the tower of Uthlyn.
"By Ansgar's name!" she exclaimed, a hand over her lips. "They've started the ceremony without me!"

Rhindeer

"M-m'lady, they have, but there was a mage. A man with fire. Making fire himself. Out of thin air!" Faolán said, trying to stress the importance of what he had witnessed. A mage had come! And used magic! By her!

"We have to report that, m'lady! He could hurt someone and that's like--that's against the law!" But he also knew he couldn't leave Valia; it was his job to guard her, to escort her, and if he were to leave to report the mage and something were to happen to her, it would be his neck. "The ceremony can wait! This is way more important!"

visualspice

Valia didn't care, as terrible as that was to say, as she shook her head and turned from him.
"The man will hang once it's reported! Go away and do that why don't you? I have a ceremony to get to!"A nd with that, she grabbed onto her skirts and began to run off, not caring if the boy was following her or not. She'd just die if she were to miss this! But even as she ran, she knew in her heart...
It was too late.

Rhindeer

"But--Valia!"

With a frustrated sound, Faolán had no choice but to go after her. Or rather, he did have a choice, but it might end with him in serious trouble! Though...not immediately reporting the magic use might, too.

It was a no-win situation, but in the end he picked the job he had been assigned. A soldier never abandoned their post, right?

"Valia, wait up!" he called, catching up to her finally, and grimacing. Was the ceremony really almost over?

It couldn't be over...

visualspice

Tripping over her own pink high heels, it wasn't until she was hitting mud did the weight of her failure truly hit her-
and she sat there a moment, hot pink eyes pooling with tears.