Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Chance Encounter

Started by Ivory, December 18, 2012, 03:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

"Maybe!" she agreed brightly, pulling herself back together.  Barely.  Of course, he couldn't see the humor in the situation.  Of all the people she should have never met, this man was, perhaps, at the top of the list.  She should have run from him in terror to the nearest church, where she should have dropped down on her knees to ask for forgiveness for everything she had ever done.  He was a warning -- as if God had dropped the shack and its owner down on the path before her to warn her to turn back.

Instead, she said, "Will you tell me what it's like?  What you do and what you've done?"  Realizing she had just spent the better part of five minutes laughing at him, she hastily added an apology.  "And I'm sorry!  I wasn't laughing at you.  Truly!"

visualspice

"Tch," he made a sneer. As if he'd believe anything that came from this woman's tongue.  Rubbing at the back of his neck, he frowned and closed his eyes as she began to ask him excitedly about.. well, about what he was.

"A true king never divulges his secrets," he replied with a smirk and eyed her up once she seemed to have... calmed down. But he knew better and folded his arms across his chest again.

"Have you been living inside a cave all of your life?" he wandered out loud, tilting his head as he observed her.  "Do you honestly want to know what it's like to be... what, a thief?" he laughed, and then laughed again, his laughter echoing around them as he appeared quite amused by her interest.

"I think it's time you ought to go," he told her, gesturing towards her horse.  "Or i'll make it a case to remind you why you should't travel into unfamiliar grounds."

He didn't have time to play baby sitter with this child. For that's what she was. Maybe an attractive, GROWING child, who was blossoming into a woman, but a child none the less.
She was harmless, and he? Well, he was too particular to entertain a mere child.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Well!  There was no reason to be rude about it!  Kathryn eyed him a moment, looking wholly unimpressed.  Finally, she moved past him, boldly trusting him not to throw a dagger into her back, and pausing to scoop up a handful of acorns that had fallen from the tree towering overhead.  Returning her dagger to its sheathe finally, she cupped the acorns in her left hand, then, using her right, tossed one at his chest.  She wasn't a half-bad shot; the acorn hit its target, if a bit off-center.

"That's too bad," she began lightly, meeting his gaze without flinching.  "I thought the King of Thieves--"  She threw another acorn at him.  "--would relish the company of an impressionable young girl."  A third acorn bounced off his chest.  "Corrupting her."  Her eyebrows lifted, and she tossed a fourth acorn his way.  "Seducing her..."  Not that she would ever, ever let that happen, but men were easy to play with...

Kathryn's horse whinnied suddenly.  She half-turned towards the sound, the game turning, suddenly, serious.  The bay was still near the stream, but it stood alert now.  And that was the first rule of horsemanship: always trust your animal.  "I thought you said no one came out this far."

visualspice

Dekka only eyed her, his looking growing sharper as she continued to throw acorns at his chest.
Was this girl for real?  Did she honestly think...?
Well ok.. he DID have a reputation with women but...

He caught the last acorn and gave a hot sigh through his nose.
"Is that why you came out here?" he replied, moodily. He tossed the acorn aside. "Looking for trouble? Well, I've got news for you, I like my women easy, not child like or brats." he spoke, approaching her with every word, his dark eyes never leaving hers until he was finally upon her, about to place a hand over her on the nearby tree when....

SHHHHHHHHNTK

An arrow graized past his head, and sunk into the bark between his fingers.

He froze, eyes widened as he turned to the arrow between them.
"Fuck."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn wasted no time -- if he wanted to stand there like an idiot, it would be his funeral!

Wishing she hadn't left her bow behind, she dove for cover on the other side of the tree trunk.  It was a huge tree -- almost big enough for two.  The attack itself was bad enough, but she recognized the colored fletching on the arrows -- and that meant she had been discovered.

And that meant she was probably never going to be able to leave her room ever again...  Maybe it was all just a terrible coincidence, and they didn't know who they were shooting at?

"Surrender!" a deep, masculine voice bellowed out, needlessly loud in the quiet wood.  "My men have been tracking you all day.  We've come to take you back!"

Well, so much for that hope...

visualspice

"Shit." Dekka breathed the words out and immediately joined Kathryn on the opposing side of the tree-
though they couldn't stay their long.

"God damn city guards," Dekka snarled, eyes darting around as he thought of a plan.  He was already working at fetching something from his boot, then his sleeve, then from his hair-
and before she'd know it, Dekka was twisting together a short cross bow.

He put an arrow in his teeth, quickly fastening the cross bow around his arm as he tugged it, ensuring it was securing before peering behidn the tree and examining where the enemies might be coming from.
He caught sight of two of them before another arrow came at them, biting intot he tree.
Dekka ducked away in time and pushed the young lady back.

"Stay behind me, we gotta move!" he commanded, pushing away from the tree, the cross bow now secured to his wrist, fully loaded and aimed ahead.
He kept his other arm open and to his side, protective of the girl as he moved to hide behind another tree.

"Halt, thief!" one of the men declared, and Dekka snarled at him as he watched the archer take aim. He was quicker, aimed his bow and fired.
The arrow bit quickly into the man's shoulder as he let out a yell.
"Keep moving!" Dekka shouted, as he turned tail and began to run, hastily loading another arrow as he peered over his shoulder at the other advancing men.

"We've got to find a way to get out of here.."
and that's when he noticed her horse pawing uneasily at the stream.
He smirked and placed a hand upon kathryn's shoulder and spoke closely to her ear.
"Call your horse. I saw what you can do with it. Call it over here so we can get the hell outta here."

Ivory

Kathryn watched him assemble the crossbow in surprise.  Well, that was certainly, er, different.  And handy!  She thought about stopping him -- but when a man was risking his life for you, it was only fair you let him...at least for a bit.  Besides, it was positively thrilling to be shot at!

But, of course, the guard would never hurt her.  Even in this situation, if she came home wounded -- or not at all -- there would be hell for them to pay!  But it would do no good for them to outrun the guards -- not for her, anyway.

"You should run," she murmured, looking up at him pointedly.  "They aren't after you.  They're here for me."  She paused.  "And I am sorry I brought them to your shack.  I'll distract them.  And you can go."

"You're only making this worse, and your list of offenses is growing!" the first guard shouted out again.  "Come out now, and the Duke may see your desire for atonement and exercise his mercy!"  Hearing no response, he added, matter-of-factly, "You have nowhere else to go!"

Kathryn didn't believe them for a second -- but she couldn't argue with the logic.  "You should go..."

visualspice

Dekka only smiled at her suggestion.

"I think you forgot who you'e dealing with," he said, turning to 'Amy' as he gave a smirk. "How would you like to fly? No body has ever captured me, and I'm not about to let a  few pomp guards try to make that mark." As he was talking,a nd they were running, he was assembling another devise against his wrist, then, pausing at a tall tree he pointed his wrist up at it, then looked to Kathryn as he secured an arm around her.

"Hold on tight."

And an explosion shot from his hands, catapulted a 4 pronged hook into the air, and the taunt rope connected to it went hissing behind, following like a snake.
Then it bit into the tree, securing itself against a branch..
Dekka pulled, felt it secure and smirked over at Kathryn.

"Now's that time to hold on real tight," he said, and off the ground they went, flying intot he air and snapping to the end of the line-
WIthin seconds they were within the tree, secure on a branch and far, far from their enemy who was calling angrily down below.

Dekka only grinned and looked towards the trees all around them and noted the small look out he had built a few trees over.
"We need to get over there," he said, testing the branch they were standing upon with his boot before moving forward. "Keep close, we gotta move fast."

Ivory

Kathryn didn't even have time to feel outraged at his lack of manners.  One moment she was on the ground -- and the next...  Propriety forgotten, she gasped in surprise and did as she was told.  As they shot upwards, she clung to his side, and, once her initial terror had faded, she peered downwards at the gathering soldiers with a growing smile.

Well, if this was to be her last day out, she was going to make sure it was something to remember!

She alighted softly on the branch beside him, reaching out to press a hand against the trunk of the tree for balance.  "So this is why you haven't been caught yet," she observed with a grin.  It was, certainly, unexpected!

visualspice

"You could say that," the thief said with a smirk, giving the young woman a quick once over at how vibrant she became standing beside him in the tree.
"But we need to move, and fast."
He unhooked his hook shot and began scouting the area nearest to him. It seemed the branch he tested would only take so much weight, and now there was two.

Spotting an even larger branch across the way, he was quick to fasten up the hook-shot, took aim-

and fired.
He only gave her a smirk before capturing her within his arms as the two went sailing from tree to tree, and soon were inside the make shift watch tower as Dekka moved towards a locked chest.
The lock easily opened, and he threw up the lid and began searching for a few things inside.
A heavier cross bow was in order as he pulled it out and began to load it with weapons.

"We've got to find a way to either run these bastards off or," he peered over his shoulder at the girl, again, looking her over from head to toe until finally saying. "Or I'll have to kill them." He click noted the arrow was ready as he raised off the floor. "And I can't exactly have guardsmen know where I'm hiding away at now can I?" and he moved to the edge, scouting over it as he examined where the guards were below.   

It wasn't tricky to follow the only 'flying' people in trees as the guards began to near the fat tree that housed his watch tower.

"Surrounder now, or suffer the consequences!" a man shouted.

Dekka raised a brow at him, smirked, then took aim-

and fired.

Ivory

Kathryn smirked right back at the thief, turning to watch the guards scurry below them.  She was lucky, she thought, that she wasn't afraid of heights.  That was a fear she had conquered years ago...

The small tower was an equally pleasant surprise!  She examined the inside a moment, then watched as he began to paw through a chest.  For the life of her, she couldn't understand why the self-proclaimed King of Thieves -- and a mage at that -- was risking his life for her...  A smart criminal would have taken her advice to run!

She watched, amused, as he pulled out the heavier crossbow.  She didn't know any of the guards well -- in fact, she could probably count the number whose names she knew on one hand.  It felt, momentarily, strange to think they may kill someone she knew...  A queasy feeling was nestled in her stomach, but, coolly, she pushed it away and scooped up the bow and arrows from the box.

"So, what you're saying, is they die either way."  She could always claim the guards had rescued her from the clutches of some wild man in the forest...

The bow had been made for a man, but, after a few experimental tugs, she felt confident enough to step up alongside him.  There were two men down there -- no, wait.  Three, she revised, spotting the first man Dekka had shot.  He was propped up against the first tree they had sheltered behind, the arrow in his shoulder and bloodstain apparent even from this height.

Dekka's string snapped, and Kathryn watched as the arrow struck its target below.  The first guard dropped, the quarrel in his chest.  Her arrow struck a second guard a moment later, parting the man's unprotected throat.

visualspice

Perhaps it was because Kathryn never knew the unspoken rule amongst thieves-
you get their back, well, then I've got yours.

They were both on the same wave length as far as he was concerned-
two outlaws just running from the guards.
But he couldn't help but be a bit upset his place was found-
but no matter.
Two guards down, one more to go.

He aimed his cross bow at the last suffering man, sighed- because he never truly liked killing anyone, then released the final bow-

All three men were downed.

Rising off his knees, he began to disassemble the heavier cross bow and toss it into his trunk.
"Three guards down." he said, the cross bow now away as he rested a hand against the lid of the trunk and studied the young woman for a moment.
"And now I have to think of what to do with you." He smirked, eyeing the bow in her hand and gave a more appreciative, toothy smile to that. "It seems you're rather good at that. not many can boast to be able to shoot men with such.." he rubbed at his throat. "Accuracy from such a height."

He eyed her up, then gave a sniff and turned away, hands to his hips.
"You can call me, Dekka, by the way. Dekka Blade."

Some associated his name with his title, others just used his kingly name when they realized who he was. It didn't matter to him either way, but it seemed now he and she were floating int he same boat.

"So, do I want to ask what you stole from them?" he said. "A clever girl might not keep it on her person." He studied her curiously.

Ivory

"I like to hunt, Dekka," Kathryn answered with a light shrug, pleased with his praise -- and the obvious fact he still had no idea who she really was.  If he knew, she thought, that would certainly change things, wouldn't it?

Once the bow was returned to the trunk as well, she turned to face him.  She leaned back against the tree trunk, enjoying the rare chance to relax her otherwise perfect posture.  Watching her now -- the slouch more-so than the murder she had just committed -- likely would have sent her mother into hysterics.

She had not, in fact, been intending to lie to the King of Thieves (well, tell him any more lies), but his assumptions -- justified, though they were -- made it easy.  With a brilliant smile, she answered, "Something sparkly, I'm sure."

visualspice

"Well, you're either a thief or a murderer..." his lips twitched at the thought.
"Something sparkly indeed." he rubbed his chin, then glanced down at the carnage one last time before dropping to the ground and pulling out a bottle of fine wine from behind the chest.
Brushing off the dirt, he popped the cork and downed it. With a satisfying sigh, he passed over the drink to her.

"To a new friendship," he said, leering. He was quite fond of adventures, women, and drink.
Now was no exception.

Ivory

Kathryn watched him for a moment, surprised by his change in attitude.  Why, just a few minutes ago, he was trying to shoo her away.  And a few minutes before that, he was trying to kill her.  She assumed his definition of friendship differed from hers -- or, in the very least, the definition held by most of society -- so it was the seeming acceptance that surprised her.

After a moment, she accepted the proffered bottle and settled down on the floor beside him with an expression of amusement.  She didn't intend to do more than politely sip -- and this was far from civilized -- but this, she thought, was much different than how she expected any of her so-called adventures to turn out.

She sipped the wine gently, surprised to find that it was, indeed, a good wine.  Mr. Dekka Blade was a thief of some taste, it seemed.

"Does this mean you won't try to kill me when I come back for those stories?"

visualspice

Dekka raised his brow at the question and took another swig of wine.
"Nothing personal, but I don't exactly invite 'friends' to my home." he gave her a small smile, took another swig of wine then stared at the expanse of trees around them.
The area here was much different than being on the forest floor.
he always enjoyed it- being calm, peaceful...

And just over the horizon, a parting of trees..
some castles could be noted..
you could almost see over all of Connloath but...
it seemed to stretch on forever, from this birds eye view.

"I still have yet to figure out what to do with you." he eyed her up a moment, taking another drink before passing her the bottle.  "I can't exactly have you leave here and expect you to oblige my requests on good faith. Though I suppose it's about time I leave this valley, these mountains..."
He looked back out into the expansive world again. towards the horizon, to as far as the eye could see.
The sun would be setting soon, the shadows stretching towards the beyond.

"Yes, what to do with you.." He eyed her up again, and.. took some more wine.

Ivory

"I did give you the chance to leave," she answered pointedly and truthfully.  After all, he didn't have to stay to protect her from the guardsmen.  "And, anyway, who am I going to tell?  The guards?  I think that would go over well, don't you?"

Rising to her feet restlessly, she peered out over the world below.  It was, indeed, beautiful here.  She could even see her father's home, the banners flapping in the breeze.  Honestly, she didn't think she would be coming back.  Not if her parents had sent guards out to retrieve her.  And her maid -- the girl who had been sent to Mass in her place -- would probably be killed for her role...  Still, she could pretend...

"At least tell me one story, Dekka."  She sounded resigned and sad, as though Dekka had already decided her fate, and she, in turn, had decided to give up rather than fight.  She glanced over her shoulder at him, then, her sadness replaced by an easy smirk.  "Tell me your favorite thing you've ever stolen."

visualspice

He didn't think she was being serious, wanting to hear a story and all.
"Heh." he gave a shrug, smiling at the bottle as he looked at it, then to her.

"Favorite thing I ever stole?" he reclined back, looking at the remnants of the tree line over head, his eyes drifting as far away as the passing clouds.  He raised a had up, eyes tracing over the rings upon his fingers before he closed his hands into a fist.
Turning to her, he smirked.

"I've stolen all sorts of fancy things," he informed.  "Fancy rings, relics, money.." he shrugged, thinking about all of the glorious tales he could spin, but somehow, none came to mind- they all seemed suddenly grey, rather than vibrant and full of colors.  He looked at his rings again, smirking, then showed her his pinky finger.

"My favorite and least favorite," he said. The ring was bland, just a simple band of gold. It appeared a size too small fo rhis finger, but there it was.  "Wedged on my hand now really," he said with a sigh, smirking at it before setting his hand down and looking over towards the sky.
"One of my more, well, famous tales the locals embellish. A ring for a woman from another man, I intercepted, there might have been a little fling along the way and then.." he stared over at the horizon, his eyes fixating upon a distant castle.
"Then she was gone."

He snickered, took some wine and layed on his back, the tail of his braid settling beside him as he looked up at the clouds again.
"Now the damn thing is stuck on my finger. I can't get the fucking thing off." he tried again, made a noise, but  it remained, and he sighed, put his hand down and settled to cloud watching once more.

"Then there was the other rings but.." he observed them, smirking. "Some from kings, others from petty thieves, liars, cheats... " he smirked again. "Women."  His eyes slid to her.
"What about you? You got any interesting stories?" he wasn't sure how much he really wanted to tell her. Most people made up their own stories about him-
maybe half were true.

The other half- embellished.

Sometimes, even just plain made up. Not that he didn't fancy all of the attention it gave him. He did like his fanfare when on duty- despite stealth being the most viable option for a thief...

"I couldn't telly ou how many times, when captured, I had gotten out of jail." he rubbed a hand across his mouth in thought.  "Or how many more times there are to come." he added, with asmile.

Ivory

"You cared for her," Kathryn interpreted, her smile softening.  She was, after all, still a woman -- and she dreamed of a good, kind husband who would love her.  And she expected reality to be different and cruel when it came to that...

"No," she offered sadly.  "At least, I doubt you would find any interesting.  What seems like a grand adventure to me must be so dull for you."  She paused.  "Though, I met this man once.  I wouldn't say he was a good man, but he protected me when he should have run."  She grinned at him, teasing.  "There may or may not have been a fling."  She winked impishly.  "I can't say where he is now, but it was fun.  And, even if he won't admit it, I think he thinks so too."

visualspice

Dekka turned to her with a smirk.
"I think I've heard that one too many times before," he said, lifting his bottle to her with a nod fof his head.
"But who would believe a fuckin' thing about.." he paused a moment, realized he was letting his language slip and gave her a smirk before he sat up.
"Perhaps now's not the time for fucking stories, eh? It's going to get dark soon." he eyed her, doing a once over. "I suppose you have a shack to be getting to? And I'd also hate to be fuckin' caught here in the dark if more of those guards decide to show up."

He closed up the bottle and put it away.
"I suppose it's time we head back down to solid ground?"