Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Chance Encounter

Started by Ivory, December 18, 2012, 03:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Kathryn stared after him, her expression flat and unamused.  "I..."  She what?  She couldn't tell him the truth.  And, she imagined, if he were as good a thief as he claimed to be, he already knew she was far too upset for it to be the fancy of a homeless girl in the woods.

She had to get a hold of herself!

The teenager took a deep breath, falling back on an old trick her nanny had once taught her as a very little girl.  She pictured her anger -- a piece of red paper -- and pictured herself crumpling it up with hard, near-punches.  It helped -- at least, it gave her a moment to collect herself, as it always did.

By the time she exhaled, she was calmer, and most of the angry tension had left her slim frame.  "I used to work in the palace.  They don't just leave their jewelry laying around.  It's guarded."

visualspice

It was Dekka's turn to laugh.  And he continued to do so as he shook his head.

"Did you forget who you're talking to?" He laughed again.  "Guards, hidden treasure, locked boxes..." he waved the ideas off, still smiling.  "It's just another interesting step in the process of thieving. I wouldn't be called the King of Thieves for nothing, if a simple, royal treasure was unobtainable."

He was still smiling, but perhaps she was not as he turned to her, studying her.
"It seems you had connections at the palace." Used to work there? He wondered more about that. It seemed odd. If that was the case, what was she doing here now?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"I liked it there," she answered, trying to look nonchalant.  In reality, Kathryn looked like an animal that had just been cornered.  Her hand had, unconsciously, fallen back on the hilt of her dagger.  "People were nice.  I had a bed.  And three meals a day."

Maybe this hadn't been a good story to go with...

"But I messed it up.  So whatever you're thinking, I can't help you."  Why else would he be curious about her connections?

visualspice

Dekka saw the fear in her eyes and had to wonder...
perhaps that's why she seemed like a prude. Maybe this little girl was a virgin.
Most nobles tended to take advantage of those who were as pretty as 'Amy', so she didn't have to explain. He could come to his own conclusions.

"The son got a bit frisky with you, did he?"  Of course he was insensitive enough to say out loud what he thought.
"Don't worry about it, I don't need your sort of connections. I got what I wanted for now." He smirked, eyeing her up then turned back to his clothing, prodding them to see how well they were drying. It seemed like they'd take an eternity, but the ends dangling closest to the fire seemed to be drying up rather quickly, so he readjusted, and hung the clothing the other way, so the other side could dry up faster.

Perhaps it was... rather rude of him to be standing there in his undergarments if her history was.. as he thought.

"So I suppose this was a more recent affair?" he questioned, still working at rehanging his clothes, back to her.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn made no reply to his inquiry.  After all, the Duke didn't have a son...but she could see no point in correcting him!  And, once upon a time, someone had tried to have his way with her -- and her mind went back there, unbidden.

"What about it?" she asked defensively.  He obviously wanted something...

visualspice

Dekka tensed at her sudden reaction. So he hit the nail on the head. He gave a dry laugh and turned away from his clothes.

"I suppose it explains a lot," he said, his smile lightly worn on his lips.  "But don't worry about it, I don't plan on taking advantage of a poor girl stuck in the woods with me."
His lips cracked to a smile at the idea, but he decided to leave his next comment out.

The rains were unending, but the once deafening down pour from outside began to lighten up, as Dekka's eyes strayed from her over towards the broken window.  "Looks like the rain wants to let up."

Ivory

It didn't really matter if Dekka had bought the story or not -- he was still, after all, a dangerous man...and her parents would still be waiting for her to return.

"I should go," she began, still watching him closely.  She didn't want to field any other questions from him...  She couldn't even begin to answer questions about how a lady's maid lived!  "While I have the chance.  Thanks for cooking up the rabbit."

Because there was no reason to be impolite!

visualspice

At her words, he turned to her and nodded, bare arms crossing over his bare chest.
"I'm a man of many skills," he quipped at her comment about the cooking.  Though he still wore a smile, he hesitated as she stood there between her and looked back to his clothes.
"I suppose I should be doing the same."
His clothes, though still damp, were then plucked from where they hung as Dekka slipped them back over his body.  As he was fastening his belt, he turned to her, a foot slipping into his boots as he added, "It wouldn't be right for a gentleman to stay in a woman's home all by himself." He offered her a rare grin for his rare gentlemanly gesture and bent over, beginning to lace up his boots.
Once secured, he rose, staring at her for a moment before releasing a sigh.

"Well, I suppose it's been a pleasure," he said with a nod, even a slight bow before he fetched something form his pocket, then tossed her the emerald ring. "Here, use this to buy yourself a decent shack." he commented, then slipped out of the shack and into the rain.

Ivory

Kathryn caught the ring with numb fingers, not daring to even look down at it until well after Dekka had gone.  He'd given her the ring.  But, why?  Her fingers moved over the green stone in the center, eyes studying the peculiar way the light bent around it, and then she looked towards the door.

He was a strange man.  A gentleman, in some ways, she thought.  Straining her ears, she could hear nothing from outside; she assumed it meant that the King of Thieves was well and truly gone.

But, he had taken pity on her.  And that was something, she already knew, was rare.

With a slight smile and shake of her head, she crossed over to the hearth.  The ancient stone fireplace had a loose stone that, from long practice, she easily found and pulled away to reveal a fine set of clothes.  It was time to go home -- but Dekka Blade had given her something to think over once again...

THREAD COMPLETE