Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Masks

Started by visualspice, December 22, 2012, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Dekka's eyes never left her form. Not once. He watched every twirl in her dance, every loose flutter of her hair, the glittering sequins on her mask.

Yes, he had to have her.  Even well after this 'Duke Calent' would win her hand from the repulsive Lord Phillipe, he would be sure to pay her a visit later-
after all, perhaps it was time to reward himself with a Queen?

A few raspberry tarts later, he was moving throughout the room, scouting for prize-
ah, and there it was, the great jewel of the evening glittering on the duchess's finger.
He made his way towards her, bowing as the song came to an end and extended a hand towards her.
"Duchess, if I might request another, I'd like to have this dance."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

The dance seemed to take an eternity to come to an end.  Kathryn was grateful for it to be over -- and her poor feet, trampled practically to bits, now, were as well.  Wine in hand and Philippe hovering beside her, she settled down at a table to take a bit of a break.  Philippe, of course, sat down uninvited beside her, chattering away...

...But Kathryn was scarcely listening.  It didn't really seem to matter to the vain creature; he simply liked to hear the sound of his own voice.  She made a few sounds of agreement here and there, but her eyes easily found her mother and the Duke of Allar on the dance floor.

Like her eldest daughter, the Duchess possessed a singular grace.  In spite of her age, she easily kept up with her dance partner as she inquired about his health, about his trip, and asked if there was anything else they could do to make his stay in Highheart comfortable.  But it wasn't her mother she watched -- it was the easy, confident grace of the Duke.

She only wished she could think of why she found him so familiar.  Perhaps she had met the Duke long ago -- he was, after all, quite a bit older than she.  If she had perhaps met him at a social event as a little girl...but, somehow, that didn't seem quite right.

But she did, she thought, like him...and she was attracted to him as well, or so the pounding of her heart told her.  It was all very silly, of course, and she tried to steel herself for the inevitable disappointment...and, yet...she did wish fervently that he might sweep her off her feet...

By the time the song ended, Philippe had refilled her glass twice, a gesture he was happy to make, as it seemed to be keeping her happy...and,of course, a drunken woman put up less resistance than one stone sober...

visualspice

It was too easy..
yet nerve racking at the same time.
He had never accomplished such a feat before and here he was, doing it for the first time.
He had to be quick..
no one would notice, their eyes would never stray- he had to do it without looking, without her noticing, the slight shift of weight, when the fake ring replaces the other..
it was a foolish thought, but he had to time it.

Everything came to the timing.

A step, a fluttering a twirl, and the extention of their parting hands finished the job-
He had already secured the swap, a device to trigger and grip the false ring to her and in the same motion, his own fingers would claim around the ring in a smooth motion, slipping it off and curling his hands around it, moving away with the dance, hands behind his back, exactly the position for the song.

ANd away it would go, deep within his pockets.
His eyes, yes, they never left her, and her's, never to his.

She would never suspect.
No one did.
No one saw the slight of hand.

It was perfect and beautiful, and everything that he lived for.

Dance, dance, dance, he and the duchess moved easily across the dance floor, bodies in tune to the trained steps of the music and...

Yes, all of those classes paid off.
No one would ever know...
The king of thieves was quite the exceptional dancer.

Then it ended, he bowed gracefully, then noticed the husband approach, the duke, and his heart jumped to his throat.
Sweat heated beneath his skin, his face, paling only slightly in color as he turned his attentions to the man.

"Ah, how marvelous. You two dance wonderfully!" he said with an applause.  Dekka nodded, then bowed.

"I am humbled by your kind words," Dekka informed, remaining ever graceful and stoic as the the false duke of Allar.  As he raised his head, his eyes met to the duke's.  "But I have an inquiry, something to request of you if I may do so in the privacy of the balcony. The view of the garden is lovely and we can talk."

"Oh!" the duke's eyes went to his wife's, who only nodded then extended her hand to dekka, which he took and kissed, admiring the fake jeweled ring now on her finger before slipping away and moving with her husband as the two slipped outside.....
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn had been hoping for somewhat of a reprieve from Philippe -- but that was not to come so soon.  She gave him a sideways look as he stopped speaking, suddenly, and she could all-but feel the bitterness and envy rolling off of him in waves as he watched the pair of men walk towards the balcony.

It was, then, too, that she noticed how many glasses were sitting empty at her elbow.  She flushed, more annoyed with her lack of self-control than with Philippe for thoughtfully supplying so many drinks.

Well, if she could still feel shame, she thought, she wasn't drunk yet.  Her mother would kill her if she spoiled her birthday like that!  Speaking of which, her mother was parting the crowd as she made her way over to her eldest daughter, looking positively triumphant.  "Lord Philippe, if you would be so good as to give me a moment with my daughter?" she said, her tone leaving no room for argument.  Philippe frowned, offended, but he bowed and left the women to the table.  The Duchess watched him go with a sharp eye before turning a smile on Kathryn.  "You are performing marvelously tonight, my dear," she said -- high compliments from her mother.  "The Duke of Allar speaks highly of you."

Kathryn blushed lightly and smiled.  "He's an excellent guest.  If I had neglected him, I'm sure he would have said the same."

Her mother waved her words off with a hand.  "He's just requested a private word with your father.  I wonder what they could be discussing..."

Kathryn's heart suddenly felt as though it were in her throat.  "I'm sure it's business of one kind or another."

The older woman smiled, a slow, predatory smile, then looked down at her new ring.  She examined it in the light, looking at it this way and that, and then she rose.  "I think you've had enough wine this evening, Kathryn.  I'll have the servants bring over something to eat and some water."

"Yes, Mother," Kathryn murmured, in truth, grateful for the intervention.  And the food.  Now, if only she could keep Philippe at bay, she could eat without feeling ill...

visualspice

The talk was anything but brief. Several dances later, the Duke of Higheart had only returned,a nd when he did, it was impossible for him to hide his smile and blush across his features as he hurried to his wife' side.  The two went off to a corner somewhere, whispering something through excited smiles. It seemed the whole world was focused on them-
but what had become of 'Calent'?

Valia, younger sister of Kathryn (OOC: Whom I will make a profile for soon >>; ), made her way over to her sister at the table ad began to pluck up some food.
"So there's a lot of gossip going around," she spoke in nonchalance, though it was obvious where Valia wanted to go with this.  "Especially concerning your manners, hogging the Duke of Allar all to yourself," she added a bit of a huff, but couldn't help but smile broadly towards her sister, like a fox.
"Kathryn, what did you to do him to get him to admire you,s o?" she giggled and looked around, trying to seek out Calent amongst the crowd, but quickly turned her pink eye back to her sister.  "You know he's the most handsome and eligible bachelor here! And to think a man like that is unmarried and without an heir!" her eyes sparkled, but then she promptly pouted.  "You're making me jealous. I wish the men I wasted my time flirting with were nearly as rich as him." She adjusted her dress, which had her ample bossoms nearly bursting from her pink dress. 

"I heard he has close ties to the Grand Duke, and his duchy is doing well." Valia picked at a tart, pickin gout the seed before licking the jelly from her fingers.  "But seriously, you have to tell me your secret. After all," her eyes went over to Phillipe as she grinned, devilishly. "You've also seemed to have upset Phillipe." She wrinkled her nose.

"Thank goodness for that! I hope Duke of Allar does propose to you but..." here she paused and stared down at the tart, whose jelly was gone, but the try crust remained as she sighed. "WHat will I do if you leave me to get married?" she spoke earnestly. Honestly, she had never considered a life without her older sister. What was she to do without her?  Sure, Phillipe had proposed and their father, naturally, had not answered, stating he would wait until Kathryn was 18 ( knowing full well his daughter didn't entirely approve of the match), and frankly, her father was beaming now since he had waited...
after all, i twas no secret anymore what the Duke asked- considering the smile their father now wore.

"What do you think Duke Calent asked father?" Valia said, grinning, her eyes again searching the crowd. "And I wonder where he had gone off to? He seemed to have disappeared since he spoke with father."

OOC: I hope this makes sense XD *rush post*

Ivory

Kathryn smiled at her sister -- until she chastised Kathryn's manners in hogging Duke Calent's attention.  She made a good-natured face, then -- a light wrinkle of her nose accompanied by a blush and an embarrassed giggle.

"I'm not sure I've done anything to warrant his attention," she offered, smiling broadly down at the table.  "I think he really doesn't care for Lord Philippe, and he's enjoying the chance to show him up.  Didn't you hear what he said to him earlier tonight?"  She had been appalled at the time -- and also quite glad.  Still, it had been rather unwarranted...  "And you should have heard what he told me after I promised Philippe a second dance!"

Her eyes sparkled as she glanced up at her sister, her blush deepening a shade.  "That isn't to say I wouldn't be interested..."  He is very good-looking...  And sweet.  She touched the rose that still adorned her hair lightly, her smile growing.  "But I don't know if I would truly be so fortunate..."

She was truly trying not to get her hopes up -- it could have been anything the Dukes discussed out on the balcony, after all!  And if she got her hopes up and he didn't propose...

"And, if I leave," and here she covered one of her sister's hands gently.  "You'll come to Allar to be my maid of honor.  And imagine all of the proposals you'll have!  Not just the local lords, but everyone in Connlaoth!  Your husband will inherit Father's title, and be connected to Duke Calent.  And be married to the prettiest girl in the whole country."  With the fieriest temper, but that was all quite besides the point!  Yes, a match with the Duke of Allar...  It would benefit both of them, wouldn't it?

Turning back round to the party, she realized her sister was correct -- there was no sign of Calent anywhere.  Well, she hadn't really been expecting a proposal...  Trying to keep the disappointment from showing on her face, she said, "Perhaps Duke Calent had to leave?  He did say he was quite busy..."

visualspice

Valia frowned at the thought.
"Ugh, wouldn't that be rude," she said out loud and began fussing over her drink. Her cheeks were a rosey red, nicely blushed from the over abundance of alcohol. Since her parents hadn't been keeping tabs, she had helped herself to a few more than usual and was enjoying the light bubbly sensation inside her head.
Plucking out the cherry that laid within the remnants of her drink, she popped it into her mouth and chewed on it with a sigh.

"Well, if Calent hadn't asked for your hand, you might be stuck with Phillipe." Valia made a wretched face at that. "What a horrible fate. And to think, I'd have to oppose visiting you just because I can'st stand being in the presence of that man. Just seeing that mole on his face makes me ill. Oh, speaking of which," her eyes went wide before narrowing, her face almost seeming to turn green. "It looks like that wretched man is heading this way now." Valia made a face of disgust. "Maybe I should go see if daddy needs me..." Valia began, turning away from her sister with every thought to just abandon her to that ugly monkey looking man.

Ivory

Kathryn knew how her sister felt -- Lord Philippe was a disgusting, ugly creature...and he didn't even have a winning personality to make up for it...  She suppressed a shudder at the thought, then turned when her sister pointed him out.

Great...

"I might crawl into bed with you tonight, Valia," she murmured.  "And we can cry about my misfortune together."  With a wan smile, she added, "At least if I marry him, you won't have to.  That's something, right?"  Not anything good for her, to be sure...  But at least Valia wouldn't be stuck with him!

Rising to her feet, daintily in spite of the sudden lurch the room gave as the alcohol went straight to her head, she said, as prettily as the rose in her hair, "Good evening, Lord Philippe.  Are you enjoying the ball?"

visualspice

The 'Duke of Allar' was busy indeed, and it didn't take much effort for Dekka to find Lady Kathryn's room. He didn't know why, but he just *had* to find a better memento than just the simple jewel from her dress.  He began to pry around, as quietly as he could to find anything, anything at all.
Ah, but he couldn't resist a chance to smell some of her clothing, taking a simple pair of undergarments and held it before his nose. THe scent sent a thrill up his spine.

"Oh noble women in their desirable smells," he whispered, then placed the item back into the drawer when he noticed something shining.
"What's this?" he picked up a ring and felt his heart go to his throat.  It was the ring he had stolen earlier...

The ring he had given to Amy.
And that wasn't everything...
he saw the hankerchief and was quick to yank it out, and two buttons fell to the floor. He furrowed his brow.
"What the fucking hell..." he felt his temperature rising. What was going on? Did that woman have connections here? Connections to Lady kathryn? was she her servant or something? Would she have...

He looked down at the buttons, bending over to pick them up as he examined them in the light.
He still had no idea what to make of all this.

A noise in the hall caught his attention.  Pressed for time, he pocketed the items, folding them into the kerchief 'Amy' had stolen and looked around. The door was already opening....

"My Lady, you must have too much to drink!"

That voice, it was Lord Phillipe.

Dekka pressed himself into the shadows, holding his breath. He hoped they would't notice him-
thankfully he was a clever man and used his environment to his advantage....

"Here, take a rest on the bed!" Phillipe sounded more than thrilled with himself as he gently guided the lovely lady to her bed. "My, won't your father be a bit sour in the way you walk? But don't frown over it, I'll be here to help you."  The man attempted to be charming, though i twas hard to make a rat sound sweet.

Ivory

Kathryn had politely resisted Philippe's advances -- but even she knew she did not seem well.  She certainly didn't feel well -- or, perhaps, that was just Philippe's presence...  "I'll be fine," she murmured, alarmed at how quickly the alcohol had affected her...

...And by the time she realized what was happening, he was sweeping her away from the ballroom with gentlemanly smiles and murmured excuses that everyone around her seemed to accept.  And so she could not insist they return to the table without appearing to be throwing some sort of a tantrum...

Soon, they were in her bedchambers.  She tried to push him away, gently, but he insisted on guiding her to the bed, where she soon plopped down on the soft mattress with a sigh.  "Thank you, my Lord," she murmured, momentarily truly grateful.  Her head was spinning from the short walk, a fact she found decidedly irritating.  "When you return to the ballroom, would you ask a servant to send up my maid?"

visualspice

"Yes," his voice was almost a gentle hiss as she passed over her, his hands sealing to hers as he remained at her side. "But are you sure you are fairing well?" he inquired, moving closer as if to touch her face. "You seem pale, but also flushed.  Should I really leave you alone when you are in such a state? Would it not be wise of me to remain here, at your side, watching over you as you recover?"
He moved to sit at her side, his pants pinning down her skirts so she couldn't move (though it was hard to tell if it was deliberate, or if he was just that stupid not to notice the dressy material of her costume).

"Won't you humor your charming hero for just a few minutes to see you are well?" Phillipe leaned in, his shadows casting over her. 
"After all, your father asked to speak with me this evening. And you must know what it is about. If we are to wed, it would appear a sham for me to leave you in such a delicate condition."

It took every ounce of energy for Dekka to hold his tongue.
'What a fucking loser,' he thought, eyes narrowing from the shadows.  He studied them, keeping quiet, though it was hard to bite his tongue. Pretending to be a shadow was proving more difficult than he anticipated. It didn't sit with him that this snake of a man was about to try a most fiendish plan.

No woman deserved to have that happen to her and he felt his own temperature rising, the magic in him slipping.  But he had to remain cool, lest the fires be exposed.
He swallowed it down, released a breath, but couldn't tear his eyes off of them.

Phillipe better not try anything funny or his plans will have to be drastically altered, and soon

Ivory

"I am quite alright," Kathryn answered with that cool, polite smile that flickered -- momentarily -- at his words.  So she was to marry Philippe after all...  Suppressing a shudder, she turned that false smile back on.

"My Lord, you know as well as I that until we are man and wife, we still have our honor and our duties to our family.  If you are truly concerned for me, you may come back with my maid.  It isn't right that we -- even betrothed -- should be alone for more than a few moments."  She was beginning to get a sinking feeling in her gut...and, even though she couldn't fully see his eyes in the dim room, she recognized that grin...

...All too well.

"Please fetch my maid, Lord Philippe.  I feel some cold water would help my head."

visualspice

OOC: WARNING      Mature themes ahead!

IC:

"Ah, but you must realize what a man craves,a nd what he needs," he said, kissing her hand. "Oh, Lady Kathryn, you are so lovely. Too lovely to compare!" He continued to kiss up her arm. "You must realize how I feel, how I've felt, so many years watching you grow up and blossom."
Here he leaned in.
"Cold ice is not needed here. Please, let me at least enjoy just a simple.." and he leaned in as if to kiss, body moving over hers.  "Please realize this is only natural." he said, hissing into her ear and sealing his lips coldly over hers, the other hand working at her clothes.

Dekka couldn't help but feel the flames flickering up his arms. He gripped onto it, trying to suppress the rage but he couldn't help himself-
What a filthy beast this man was.
His mind raced as what he ought to do-
but even thieves have honor.
He held his breath- but not his heat, as he hoped the woman would find the strength to fight this man off.

No, he couldn't ruin his plans for just a woman......

Ivory

Mature content/trigger warning~

Kathryn felt her skin crawl.  Yes, he was going to...

Fighting back the wave of nausea with closed eyes, she bore his nearness for a moment.  The touch of his lips was so entirely revolting, and, because of the alcohol, she felt sluggish.

But, this, she knew, could not stand.  And it wasn't the first time it had happened...  And what had she done to deserve it?

Coyly -- as coyly as she could, anyway -- she said, "My Lord, if that is what you desire, help me to my feet..."  It made her sick to even suggest it, even if she didn't outright have to say it.  If she was truly destined to marry this lout, she wasn't sure how she would ever survive the wedding night...  "Lest you rip my costume and alert my parents."

She practically held her breath.  If he would just let her stand, she had a...well, it wasn't the best weapon, but it would do, given the circumstances.

visualspice

OOC: Still Mature!

IC:

"Ah, but standing will simply not do!" he said, forcing his mouth roughly over hers as he pressed her against the bed.  "Let me show you that sample of our wedding night- and many nights before then!" His tongue lapped hungrily across her throat-
and yes,s he'd hear the tearing of fabric as he moved frantic to undo her clothes.
"Gods, these damn layers," he squealed angrily, and Dekka thought it sounded much like a pig.

It was growing harder and harder for him to suppress his anger, and the longer this went on, it was giving him more reasons to just storm over there and tear that man to pieces.
He knew the Lady was clever and could see her detest earlier that night-
To think she'd be taken advantage of so easily...

A noise was made-
was that the door?

Too much was going on.
He heard a gasp.
"My lady!" the maid.
Phillipe turned around with a hiss.
"Be gone!" he informed her, backhanding the maid. "Can't you see we're in the middle of a private affair!?"

Ok, that did it.
He wasn't sure how he'd explain himself, but he couldn't take it any longer. He had struck a woman, and most likely was about to do the same to Kathryn....

Phillipe pressed her hands against the beds.
"Just stand still so we can consummate the arrangement!" he told her, not noticing the looming shadow from behind, or the crackle of fire roaring up Dekka's arm.

He tapped the man upon the shoulder.
Phillipe let out an angered huff.
"I thought I said to be gone-" the lord roared angrily as he turned around to back hand the maid-

At least he thought it was a maid, but as his hand got caught, he let out a cry as Dekka's burning fist held his, singing his flesh as he let out a scream. Dekka bent the man's arm aside then threw a fist into his face, aiming to knock out a few teeth and burn his signature ring mark into his face.

"Eat fucking fist you god damn cunt sucker," Dekka spat.

Phillipe went to the floor, in hysterics, his eyes wide with madness.

"G-Gods, you're a mage!" he shrieked, cupping his burning face as he whimpered.
Stepping forward, Dekka's arms still remained in flames, his eyes narrowing wildly like the tiger's costume he wore.

"I think I'm fucking more than that," he spat, then gestured to the maid. "Get the hell out of here," then he turned to Kathryn. "You do the same." Though, it only took that momentary distraction for Dekka to turn away for Phillipe to do a cowardly thing-

he went after him- with a knife.

Dekka saw the blur of movement just in time, parrying the arm , but it managed to cut him lightly acrosst eh face, scraping the porcelain mask and splaying the twine that bond it around his head...
and the mask came off, hanging loosely over his face.

The knife was caught, flames went wild as more burns seered into Phillipe's arm by Dekka's flaming grip.
"Perhaps you didn't leanr the first time," Dekka said, and rammed another two punches into the man's god damn fucking head.  Phillipe spilled to the floor, just the same moment the guards rushed into the room.

The flames vanished up his arms as Dekka stood there, looking over at the guards.
The guards looked from Phillipe, to the man in the tiger mask, and armed themselves with swords, not knowing what had transpired.

"D-duke of Allar?" one stammered. "Explain yourself!"

Dekka only stared at them, ask hanging off his face. HIs back was to the lady as he reached up and began removing his mask.
"Lady Kathryn, I hope you're alright." His voices went back to how it sounded before, cool, suave, even a little dangerous, though polite.
Before, when he had suddenly attacked Lord Phillipe..
he held no mask to his tongue, nor to his rage or who he was...
She might have even recalled the powers from before...

Even now, as he plucked off his ears, back still to her so she couldn't see his face, she might have caught fragments of familiarity...
an expression, a look.. a trace....

Now, holding his mask and ears, he stared over at the guards, a smile twitching over his lips but said nothing more.

"Duke Calent?" they said, hesitating wit their weapons.
"No Duke," he said, simply staring. "Try a King."

Ivory

Mature Things!

Kathryn's heart leapt into her throat as she watched the brawl taking place before her.  Her maid, lip bloodied from Philippe's swing, rushed to her lady's side in an attempt to rouse her -- but Kathryn's eyes were on the scene taking place before her...

Dekka Blade.  He was the Duke of Allar?

Her mind was, momentarily, confused by what was happening -- but the appearance of the guards brought her out of it.  "Bring me my sword," she told her maid.  "Quickly."  The woman stared at her lady, then, white as a sheet, nodded and darted past the thief and guards alike.

Meanwhile, Kathryn stood slowly.  Her outfit was torn beyond repair and hung at a strange angle, but it was nothing indecent, thank God.  The King of Thieves had just saved her.  Kathryn would be damned if she let him be blamed for what Philippe was about to do.  "Guards, arrest that man," she said, pointing at the crumpled lord.  "He attempted to rape me!"

The guards exchanged a look, their confusion apparent, until Kathryn snapped, "Now!"  She sniffed indignantly and strode (rather, sort of wobbled as her heel caught part of her torn skirts) in front of Dekka, standing in front of him defensively.  "Duke Calent has just saved my life."  And as she spoke, she removed the mask -- just enough to wink out of the corner her eye at 'Calent.'

Her maid appeared then from the adjoining chamber, bearing a sword obviously designed for a woman's hand.  As the pair of guards bent over the whimpering Lord Philippe -- what else were they supposed to do after such an accusation -- Kathryn stepped up silently behind them.  With a flick of her wrist, she drove the blade into the first guard's back -- and, as he toppled forward with an alarmed sound, she withdrew the blade and drove it into the second guard.

That left only one.

"You picked the wrong girl to rape, you disgusting slug," she snarled -- and, this time, the blade sank into Philippe's throat.  She hovered over him a minute, watching the light fade from his eyes...and she felt bad about the guards -- but they should have either come in moments sooner or not at all.

With all three of the men before her dispatched, she turned to the only other man in the room.  Well, there was no point in trying to hide who she was any longer...and no point in trying to keep her costume neat.  "Close the door, Molly," she said to her maid, who was still hovering there, unsure.  As the door closed, Kathryn lifted the mask up off of her face entirely and discarded it carelessly to the side.

She wiped her blade on Philippe's tunic, then held it out to her maid.  "Put this away again, please."  The maid took it and vanished, leaving the pair alone.

"I'm not sure if I still owe you, or if we call this even, Dekka."  She gestured towards the bodies coldly, without even a flicker of remorse in her expression.  "This should give you time to escape."

visualspice

Dekka set his jaw the moment his mind returned to him. Kathryn wasn't the only one surprised to find the hidden identity of the other.  He was surprised, a pleasant surprise to say the least as he stared down at the bleeding bodies than back to her.

"Well, now, if it isn't 'Amy'," he said, pacing before her as he examined the woman before him. "I should have known there was something different about you- but the daughter of a duke?" His eyes seemed to sparkly darkly as he smiled.  "I suppose I'm not the only one good at wearing a mask."
He smirked, his lips twitching as he stared down at her.
"And who says I came here to make a silent escape?" he stared down at the dead bodies, kicking Phillipe's lightly to be sure he was dead. He wrinkled his nose, then turned back to her.

"No, I think I've worn my mask long enough," he dipped his head to her.  "Though it was nice seeing you, Lady Kathryn, but now it's time to cover up these murders and expose the truth.."
and he turned from her to leave.....

OOC: Edited- shortened it up a bit <3

Ivory

"What?" she began, completely taken aback by his abrupt departure.  At least, his attempt to depart.  Kathryn reached out swiftly to grab his arm, her expression showing how greatly he had offended her.  "That's it?" she demanded.  "Just hello and goodbye?"  Like nothing had happened.  As an after-thought, she added, "And that doesn't even make sense, anyway!"  You couldn't cover up a murder and expose the truth, could you?

"You have to at least explain why you're here..."  Because he obviously wasn't Duke Calent!

(OOC: So short!  Stupid work.)

visualspice

Dekka halted and turned to her, studying her a moment before giving a brief, snorted laugh through his nose.
"I don't think you understand the delicacy of our..." his eyes still traced her. "Situation. A lord is dead." he told her, bluntly. "Two guards are down and there's a convict in the room." he tilted his head to one side, studying her briefly for a moment.
"Hello and goodbye would only be appropriate? The sham has already been revealed." He looked back towards the floor, eyes going over the blood.  "And who do you think would be more capable of avoiding the noose?" He gave her a clever smile. "Though, I must say I am impressed you fooled me. A royal woman running at large in the woods.." He clicked his tongue a few times over it. "Yes, I dare say you've even impressed the King of Thieves." and he bowed gracefully to her. "And that is what I am. The man you met in the woods was the truth, this one here." he stood more erect. "Is the mask. And the longer I stay here, the more time I lose to expose myself, which, pardon me for sounding so rude, but, that's sort of why I'm really here." Though his eyes danced as he continued to stare at her. "Though again, I will stress, this is an... interesting surprise. But I suppose you'll do well as to keep your fucking mouth shut from all of this, lest you want a rare head ache in the morning." he said, a threat, though his lips twitched as he smiled cooly at her.

Ivory

Kathryn's eyebrows rose slightly at his threat.  He wasn't as terrifying as he thought himself...but, perhaps, that was his fault for showing her mercy the first time...

"Well, I was going to blame you anyway," she said pointedly, as though it were obvious.  What, did he think she was going to take the blame for this mess?  And admit that Philippe had been about to rape her?  No, thank you.

"So, you're here to steal?"  Of course he was...  He wasn't just waiting around to rescue her from trouble...or to steal her heart, for that matter.  That was, actually, a bit of a disappointment...  Because, if he had proposed -- as Calent, that is -- she would have been...delighted.  She laughed softly and said, "At least let me say thanks, Dekka.  And give you back your handkerchief.  And Mother's ring."  She haltingly added, "I never returned it."