Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Opposites Attract!

Started by Ivory, December 24, 2012, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Akala smiled bravely and nodded at Ha'aheo's request.  "Bye, Ha'aheo.  We'll see each other soon."  She truly believed they would -- and, if they didn't, then it simply was not meant to be.

Her smile vanished instantly when Kai spoke up, and she turned to him with a very un-Akala-like glare.  "He left because I asked him to, Kai.  This is our problem, not his.  Besides..." Her gaze softened as she watched him go.  "You haven't seen him fight.  I have.  It's...terrifying.  And I'm not sure he understands what it means to fight only if you must.  He would have fought them, even if there was no need."

She hoped there was no need.  Sincerely, so.

Paradox

A couple hours had gone by and the ship had drawn much closer. Manka stood with sat with the hunters, watching the strange vessel draw ever closer with each passing moment. 

The sun was gradually sinking on the horizon and was just a breath from giving off the illusion of vanishing beneath the ocean's surface when Kai pointed out the obvious, " Here they come."

Rowboats filled with pirates were lowered into the water.

"Just act natural. Show no fear nor aggression. "Manaka warned them.

The rowboats drew towards the shore and the pirates got out.There must have been at least a score of men and they were armed with blades, and some possessed guns. At the head of the group walked a tall, elderly fellow who was dressed more elegantly and extravagantly than the rest with a handsome red coat and a wide-brimmed hat topped with a long golden feather. He had a long white beard and perfect teeth as they saw him smiling in a false manner as he drew nearer to the hunters.

"Greetings, friends.  " Manaka smiled at the pirates as though she were welcoming a long lost brother or sister, "What brings you to our humble village?"

The finely dressed leader removed his hat from his bald head and bowed. To the surprise of many villagers, he spoke their language although it did roll a bit roughly off his tongue, " Captain Peter Tavish, miss. I hate to disturb ye , but I'm looking for someone. Mayhaps you'd be able to help me find him?"

Manaka nodded, "Of course. Who is this person? One of yours?"

Captain Tavish shook his head, "Nay. This man I'm looking for is not exactly a man. My men tell me he's a creature. Half man, half fish. "

"Shark." One of the pirates spoke up timidly.

Tavish shook his head, "Whatever. This man-fish or shark attacked my men."

"Wait a minute," Kai blurted out, "You're talking about Ha'aheo?"

Tavish's attention went to the young hunter, "It has a name?"

Kai shrugged, "Yeah, I guess. But if that's true then you're the same people who tried to take away some of the villagers!"

Tavish drew out a pistol from his coat and pointed it at Manaka. "Now, you seem to know this creature. He killed my son and I want you to get him to come here. If you don't, I'll kill the old woman."

Kai looked at Manaka expectantly.

((dun dun dun! All npcs are free so yea...use them however you like. )) 

Ivory

Akala put a hand on Kai's arm as a gesture of restraint as things went from bad to worse.  Whether these men had tried to attack villagers or not was irrelevant; if they had come in peace, then, with any luck, they would leave in peace as well.

"There is more than one such creature in the sea.  Ha'aheo is the name they have given themselves."

That was what she gathered from Ha'aheo, anyway, whether it was true of the general mershark population or just what his word for mershark was another question.

"They are unpredictable hunters, vicious and elusive.  They have hurt and killed many of our own people as well.  I'm so sorry for your loss..."  And she did, indeed, sound as sorry for the pirate as she would have been for her own dear friends.  "...But we have no way of finding them, much less bringing them to you once found.  The best way to honor your son is to celebrate his life and his accomplishments.  Let us prepare a feast and a party for him."  It was a heartfelt offer -- and why not?

(OOC: lololol  Obviously, I choose not to!  Maybe next time!  <3 )

Paradox

Akala's explanation gave the Captain Tavish pause. He looked at her, his cold hazel gaze seeming to bore straight through her as though he expected to find answers there where her words only brought more questions. Having no knowledge of mersharks, he nodded as if accepting this answer but turned to a short, stout looking corsair with dark skin and many tattoos.

In a tongue foreign to the Yoreiqi peoples , Tavish conversed with the tattooed pirate. While the exchange took place , Kai whispered , "Why are you protecting him? " Akala had no time to answer however as Tavish had turned his attentions back on them.

"My friend tells me that these creatures do not normally associate with humans.  But this one Ha'aheo , this mershark, follows a girl around like a dog. I know you're hiding him, but I'd rather refrain for resorting to violence on anyone other than the murderer himself. Although,  I'm not very well-known for being a reasonable or compassionate man so you better pray to whatever gods, ancestors or spirits you believe in that he shows up. Because someone is going to have to pay for taking my son from me. "

And that said, Tavish and his crew turned away and walked back down the beach towards their waiting boats.

"I have a feeling that Ha'aheo is not the only thing they're after," Manaka said softly with a frown.

"I say we catch the shark and let them have him. Akala, you know how to find him." Kai encouraged his friend, honestly convinced that turning Ha'aheo into the pirates would make them go away.   

(( Why you do this to me?! D; Hah! I doubt that!  ))

Ivory

Akala watched them go with a slight frown.  This was quickly growing more complicated...

She said nothing as Manaka's words washed over her.  What could they be after from her people?  They had nothing they wouldn't give freely to the pirates -- unless they truly were here to take her people away...but if that were the case, why play such games?

She looked at Kai with something of a hurt pout, then, in response to his thoughts.  "Ha'aheo is a friend, Kai.  They mean to kill him.  Even if I knew how to find him, I would never turn him over to those people.  You can't honestly expect me to choose one friend over the other."

It seemed they were posting guards on the edge of the shore.  Not many -- perhaps just one or two to provide a look-out.

"Besides, I think his son probably died trying to take me onto their boat...  It was Ha'aheo who rescued me, remember?  If it's anyone's fault, it's mine.  And if it comes down to it, that's what I'll tell him."

But, in the meantime, she would have to find a way to warn Ha'aheo to say away, to go to the other side of the island away from these pirates...

Paradox

"Friend? You can't be serious! He's a mershark, Akala! His kind doesn't care about us and he might like he's...gentler , but he's still a predator. Eventually, his true nature will show itself and not even you will be immune to his feral instincts! He's just..." Kai actually had no intelligent argument to counter her. He didn't know why Ha'aheo acted so peculiarly for his kind. He already knew that Ha'aheo  was strong and if he wanted to hurt Akala, he could but he didn't. In spite of this, Kai didn't want to accept that Ha'aeho could be different.
"I doubt he was rescuing you so much as looking for an excuse to fight." Kai snorted. "They're just lucky he wasn't hungry."

"That's enough, Kai. " Manaka scolded the hunter with a frown of disproval on her weathered old features. "Ha'aheo has given you no reason to be so judgmental. He's a little...um. Different. " Well, that was one way of putting it, "But he means no harm. He's curious about us and you shouldn't discourage that with your negativity or else he really will become exactly what you seem to want to believe in."

Kai deflated, "Fine, but even if that's true...you can't tell them it's your fault! Ha'aheo can probably take care of himself!"

Manaka shook her head, "Against a handful of men , perhaps but if they've got more than one gun...even Ha'aheo is no match for that."
-
Returning to the ocean certainly refreshed Ha'aheo , but the bored and curious side of his nature got the better of him and he could not help himself. Every few moments he would pause and break the water's surface to look back over his shoulder at the island and towards the humans who kept getting smaller and smaller as he swam further away. However, as he noted the pirates lowering their boats and moving near to the Yor-icky (as he called them) , he paused and frowned .  Ha'aheo did not know what pirates were, but he knew what they did and knew what they usually looked like . He considered what Akala told him about not needing to fight and his frown deepened. He thought she was strange in her thinking and wrong. And she seemed not to be the only one. It was all of these Yor-icky.

He shook his head and watched, from a distance, the pirates and villagers talking. He couldn't hear them from where he sat in the water so he had no idea it was he that they were after. As soon as the pirates moved away, Ha'aheo disappeared beneath the waves.
-
Later that evening , as the villagers sat around the community fire together, a figure approached. In the dark, it was difficult to make out little more than the man's silhouette . He was tall, powerfully built and he moved towards the fire on unsteady feet. Kai was up on his feet immediately with his spear in hand, " You're not taking anyone!"

"Kai! Wait!"

"Hrrrn. " The stranger grabbed the spear and ripped it from Kai's hands, snapping it in two . "NO! Bad! Bad, Kai! BAD!" Ha'aheo threw the broken weapon down on the sand. "Ha'aheo comes see Akala. "

The villagers all turned their eyes to Ha'aheo and then Akala.

Kai's expression dakened with anger and he pointed an accusing finger at the mershark, "Stupid shark! You scared the children!" Really, that was a lie!
Ha'aheo wrinkled his nose, " Hrrrn. Ha'aheo scary." He agreed with a nod of his head. Yes, he knew what this word meant! And he was quite pleased both by knowing and by what Kai called him. The shark considered this a handsome compliment.

"Anyway , she doesn't want to see you so get lost."

Ha'aheo nearly looked crestfallen, "Akala no see Ha'aheo?  Ha'aheo come back." As if this should have been a reason enough. He tilted his head, " Kai say. Kai no Akala. Ha'ahao come see Akala ."

"Why don't you go see your pirate friends, huh? You know, the ones you ATE!" He poked the shark's chest and Ha'aheo pushed him away  , snarling menacingly .

"NO TOUCH Ha'aheo!"

Kai tripped backwards and fell onto his rear in the sand. " You're the reason they're here! If you care about her then go over there and make them leave us alone!"

Ha'aheo seemed to understand this . Sort of. "Care? Not know word. " He wrinkled his nose. "Bad men come. No go. " It must have meant that they wanted something. "Ha'aheo think...no good. Take Akala-friend. Make Ha'aaheo alone. No want.  " He decided. "Okay. Ha'aheo go."

"No! Don't go!" Hokuao jumped up from where he was sitting and ran over to the mershark. The boy being much smarter than Kai, knew better than to hug him , "I heard what they said! They mean to kill you!"

Ha'aheo tilted his head and wrinkled his expression curiously, "Kill? Kill make dead. Gwahahaha! No. Bad men weak. Ha'aheo strong. No die. " Ha'aheo's arrogance never faultered. The bad men did not scare him.

"You should be careful," Manka warned him , "those men have many firesticks. "

"Firesticks?" Ha'aheo flinched. Now, this he was afraid of. One firestick alone had almost defeated him. A flicker of doubt passed over his usually overconfident expression but he shook it away quickly, "No scared of firesticks."

He replied with stubborn haughtiness.

Ivory

"I think that's enough," Akala stated as she rose to her feet.  "Kai, I told you to leave him alone earlier, and I meant it."  She shot a dark look towards the hunter, then lightly patted the boy on his head.  "I'll take it from here, Hokuao.  Thank you.  Ha'aheo?  Let's go for a walk."

Obviously, if even Ha'aheo could slip past the sentries, they weren't paying that much attention...

As the shadows lengthened and the sun set beneath the waves, Akala had been thinking about the pirates and their demands and the role she had played in it.  She wasn't normally one to dwell on, well, anything, but these circumstances were anything but normal.  And the more she thought about it, somehow, it seemed she should be the one to take the blame.  After all, Ha'aheo couldn't be blamed for following his nature...

Once they had left the ring of firelight, Akala said softly, "Ha'aheo, you will never be alone, even if I am gone.  There are others here who wish to be your friend, like Manaka and Hokuao.  They'll always welcome you to the village."

Paradox

Once they had left the ring of firelight, Akala said softly, "Ha'aheo, you will never be alone, even if I am gone.  There are others here who wish to be your friend, like Manaka and Hokuao.  They'll always welcome you to the village."

Ha'aeho did not object to Akala following him. He wasn't sure what her intentions were , but when they'd reached the outskirts of the village he did pause and look at her curiously. He frowned, not looking all that convinced by her reassurances, "Hrrrn. Manaka think Ha'aheo her child. Forget Ha'aheo shark. Make Ha'aheo... worry? Is good word?  "  He then shook his head,  "Hokuao think Ha'aheo no smart. Ha'aeho think no...good.  " He didn't know how to say that he didn't appreciate his intelligence being questioned. " Ha'aheo know many things. Teach small Yor-icky much. Be strong hunter. Ha'aheo strong. "

But now he tilted his head like a confused dog and his frown deepened, "  Why say? Akala go away?" Many creatures were nomadic and did not remain in one place for long. Perhaps she needed to go away to give birth? Or to mate? Or to hunt? No. Where was she going to go to? He was curious, "Where go? Ha'aheo go? " He looked at her hopefully. He was curious to see these other places that Akala knew about that he might not have. "Ha'aheo be good. " He promised. Well, he would try as hard as his mischievous nature would allow, that is. 

Ivory

In spite of the seriousness of the discussion, his childlike demeanor made her smile.  "No, I don't think you can come along this time, Ha'aheo.  Those pirates want to hurt you, so you need to stay as far away from them as possible.  Maybe go to the other side of the Island for a few weeks..."

Yes, as far from the pirate ship as he could get...

"Do you understand?  You need to go away for a little while.  And once the pirates are gone, you can come back."

Paradox

"Ha'aheo no weak." He growled stubbornly at her and he felt insulted that she thought he needed to run away from them. "Ha'aheo fight. " And he probably could kill a man or two before he fell to their superior numbers and firepower. Of course, this did not either occur to him or he did not care. It also did not occur to him that this might have been the best thing for everyone. Or , perhaps he didn't care for what was best for the villagers either.

"Pirates no go. Kill Yor-icky. Take food , take things.  Ha'aheo sees. Ha'aheo knows. Think Yor-icky not smart. No fight? Think Yor-icky die. " It sounded so harsh, but Ha'aheo was being honest. He shrugged,  "Akala want Ha'aheo go. Ha'aeho go. " 

Ivory

Akala had no doubts about that!  She bore his boasting and arguments patiently, wearing a sad expression.  Instead of arguing with him -- thinking, naturally, that such thoughts would get her nowhere or wound his pride further, she said simply, "I don't want to see you hurt, Ha'aheo.  I don't want to see anyone hurt."

Paradox

"Hrrrn! Akala no listen!" Ha'aheo lost his temper, snarling and stamping his foot which was a completely human gesture that he had picked up from watching a certain, constantly frustrated hunter. "Ha'aheo say bad things come. Why want Ha'aeheo go? Why say Ha'aheo hurt?  Not know!"  He really didn't understand why she was concerned. He tried to , he really did , but he just couldn't.

"Hrrn! Akala make no...no- make Ha'aheo not know! " He meant to say that she made no sense to him , but his lack of vocabulary got in the way. His expression was angry and frustrated. He turned away from her , moving down the beach until he was wading waist deep in the water. He turned around , finally, to look at her, "Bye."

((Shark drama!))

Ivory

"Ha'aheo..." she began with a sigh, not sure how to explain herself to him...but certainly not wanting him to leave mad.  Akala wasn't even sure if he was leaving or if he was just going to harass the pirates himself.

She looked at him helplessly, remaining where he had left her upon the sand.  When he turned around, she said softly, "Sometimes, it is better to be smart than strong.  Remember?"  Please, she thought, be smart and just go...  And stay away long enough for this ugly business to end...

Paradox

Ha'aheo blinked, "Smart? Hrrrn." He adopted a thoughtful expression, pondering the meaning of her words. He could understand appreciate how intelligence and wisdom factored into survival. "Ha'aheo smart. Ha'aheo thinks...Yor-icky not so smart. " Caring made creatures act foolishly. Caring often interfered with survival, but he didn't think for once that it also aided with it because he was so used to being alone and it had always worked for him. "Ha'aheo go. No help , but Ha'aheo thinks Yor-icky need help."

It didn't occur to him that the pirates being there were his fault because it would have seemed so silly to him to threaten humans rather than go shark hunting. Oh well.

"Bye-bye." He waved and then dove into the ocean.

Unfortunately, the splash was too loud and it attracted attention.

"What in the name o' barnacles was that?" A couple of pirates came storming Akala's way and one of the men saw Ha'aheo swimming away, saw the fin and raised his gun, taking aim . "It's him! It's the shark-man!" He fired a shot.

Ha'aheo snarled and the water around him ran red.

"Got him! " The gun-toting pirate crowed victoriously.

"Hit him again! He ain't dead!" One of his companions urged.

"The capn's gonna pay me a king's ransom for this!"

Ha'aheo vanished beneath the waves.

The gunman swore and fired again, but the bullet hit the water and he had no way of knowing whether or not his aim had been true. "Damn!"

Ivory

Akala couldn't help but smile.  Oh, poor Ha'aheo...  For such a simple creature with such a limited command of the language, some of his remarks could, certainly, be poignant.

"Thank you," she murmured, her relief quite apparent.  She had just lifted her hand to wave when the sound of a rough, male voice reached her ear.  Turning, she cried out in alarm...

...And that red in the water was unmistakable.

"No..."  She shook her head, as if a simple word could change the outcome...  "Stop it!" she demanded, stepping forward to stand in front of the rifleman with her arms held out to either side of her.  "What are you doing?  You're going to kill him!"

Obviously, that was the idea, but there was a bit of a language barrier here -- as well as a cultural one.  Akala had no idea how guns worked, if they were technology or magic, or how many shots he could make...

(OOC: Noooooo idea where you're going here!  <3 )

Paradox

"Get out of the way, stupid girl!" The rifleman snarled and , not understanding her words but knowing her intentions as she had stepped out in front of him and blocked his view of the retreating mershark. "Last warning! Move!" He fired into the sand , just far enough away from the woman not to hurt her.

"He's getting away!" His companion hollered and unsheathed a cutlass from the scabbard hanging from his belt. "I told the capn' these stupid natives wasn't gonna be helpful!" He spat and stalked in towards Akala, "I say we spill their blood, kill the shark and take whatever plunder they gots. Startin' with this one!"

~
They heard the gunshots from where they sat by the fire. "What was that?" One of the villagers inquired.

Manka and Kai exchanged glances. Manka grabbed the hunter's arm and shook her head,  "I know what you're thinking , Kai, and I'd advise against it. "

"Akala is out there!"

"Ha'aheo is probably out there as well. He won't let anything bad happen to her. "

Kai ripped his arm free and snatched up his spear from the ground, "I think you place way too much confidence in that shark."

~

Ha'aheo reversed directions and sped back towards land. The pirates didn't notice him coming back until...they heard a splash and saw a man charging towards them. Ha'aheo slammed bodily into the rifleman and knocked him down to the sand. He whirled around on the man with the cutlass and snarled , "Bad! No hurt Akala! "

The pirate wielding the cutlass raised his weapon but his arm didn't even make it a quarter of the way above his head before both Ha'aheo heard a loud cracking sound. The pirate dropped the blade and collapsed face first into the sand with Kai standing over him with spear in hand . "Why can't you two stay out of trouble? "

"Hrrrn. Ha'aheo no need help!"

Kai ignored him and pointed the tip of his weapon at the prone rifleman whom had been quietly attempting to regain his footing. With a sigh, the pirate gave up and dare not move. "Ha'aheo, you need to leave before this gets worse."

Ivory

The last thing Akala expected was for Ha'aheo to come charging to her rescue!

She opened her mouth to protest, to tell him to be careful, but then...

No, actually, this was the last thing she had expected to see!  She winced as the man slumped down onto the sand, then, driven by her instincts, stepped forward to see if he was okay.  Even from here, however, she could tell he was alive...

The smile she gave Kai was warm and gracious.  It was a stupid thing to intervene -- and, yet, here he was, doing just that.  "It's alright, Ha'aheo."  She had no doubts in her mind that he understood the risk he had just taken upon himself.  "Turn around.  I want to see where you were hurt."

Ha'aheo could protest all he liked; she meant to examine the wound he had received on her behalf!  Studying it, however, brought about a surprising revelation...  She looked startled as she peered at the spattered shapes in the blood.  A drop shaped like a boat seemed to rest upon a drop of water.  The water carried the blood along with it, down the curves of Ha'aheo's back before vanishing into a clump of sand that was stuck to the mershark's back.  A second, bigger droplet of blood coasted on tiny stream; unlike the first, it sank into the water droplet, growing lighter in color until it all-but vanished well before reaching the miniature sandbar.

There was only one thing it could mean...

"He's right," she murmured, looking away from Ha'aheo's back.  With more determination, she repeated, "You're right, Kai.  And I have to go too.  If we go, they'll follow, but they won't catch us."

Paradox

Ha'aeho reluctantly turned his back to her, but he kept looking over his shoulder like a paranoid child, "Hrrrn. No touch!" He reminded her with a soft growl and he was only satisfied when she had honored his request and was talking to Kai about leaving.

"That's right," Kai agreed with a nod, "so y- " he stopped, realizing the whole of what Akala had said, "-wait. What?" His eyes widened , "Akala! You can't- with him? You're going with him? They're not after you!They-" But, the words died in his throat when he noted the look of resolve in her eyes. Kai frowned his disapproval and shook his head, knowing full well that when Akala made up her mind, there was no sense in trying to talk her out of whatever crazy decision she made. Sighing with resignation, he nodded, "Be careful. I'll stall them a bit, but I probably won't be able to give you much time without getting killed. " He pointed at Ha'aheo, "You better protect her , stupid shark! If Akala winds up getting hurt because of you, I'll hunt you to the ends of the ocean if I have to! Understand?"

Ha'aheo blinked, not comprehending all of the exchange but somewhat knowing what Kai was asking of him. Sort of. Ha'aheo nodded, " Yes."

Ivory

"No," Akala disagreed with a sad smile as she stepped around the mershark.  "You need to protect the village.  Tell them I left for Ainu, Kai.  The spirits will protect us.  And the sailors will leave you and the village alone."

It was clear to her -- but, of course, she was used to looking for signs from the often-elusive spirits!  Her confidence was brilliant, and she shot him a grin before stepping up to nuzzle his nose in an affectionate goodbye.

"Say goodbye to everyone for me."  If she was sad about the prospect of leaving, she certainly didn't seem to show it; to her, this was just another adventure, and if the spirits willed her to return, she someday would.

Paradox

Kai shook his head and scowled, not feeling anywhere near the same amount of confidence as his friend clearly did,  "And if they don't? " He sighed, " I'll tell everyone, but be sure to come back to us when you can." He waved the pair of them off, "You'd better get going. The other pirates will probably be along to see what all the commotion was about. "

Ha'aheo watched the bizarre nose-rubbing exchange with a quizzical look on his face, "Hrngh. Not know this word. Commoshin, but Kai say smart thing. We go." Ha'aheo turned away and moved away.