Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Attempt to steal.

Started by Anonymous, July 11, 2005, 11:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Nyutahi waited, with a slight impatience, but waited quietly nonetheless. She couldn't help the intensity but she had a certain crave for the truth and often found ways of getting it. But she knew she wasn't being entirely honest with him - but he had never asked, so she decided she wouldn't tell him. It wasn't her fault that she had some-sort of a head on her shoulders to know better than to just openly ramble about private details of her life, especially if she was ashamed of that minor detail. And plus, what if it altared his perception of her? She didn't want that, oh no, she didn't want to be thought of some sort of horrible, wicked person who should be kept away. Of course she often that of herself as thought, but she did not have sticky hands and considered herself a 'high class thief' if there was such a thing.

"Oh? Sounds very useful," she said, assuring him she found it no problem.

She smiled kindly, accepting his abilities and looking even happy at the truthful response. That was one of the things in life that made her happy - to be trusted with knowing the truth. Simple, but not as easy as one might first assume. Every person was an enigma, and sometimes certain individuals rattled your brain. Of course, Jedrek seemed quite mysterious - at least his past. He seemed somewhat alert, kind, and generous and perhaps skimming over the most recent of his past? None of her buisness really.

"It's okay I 'spose. I doubt there is something I would hide if you asked me. I only lie out of... protective needs," she laughed, appreciating how the rain was still quite soft.

"If it's not to personal, what, exactly, are you?" She blinked at him curiously, studying him more closely.

Mostly what dawned on her was 'human' with his appearance. But anything else was totally at loss. Of course she was smart, but she was brilliant. She didn't study species, even if they did intrigue her. Nyutahi had come across a fair amount of different races and found them similiar and distant in shared traits. They all had skills that were useful and she respected and admired each as a person should.

The girl wondered when they were going to get out of the streets, the sun seemed to have fully disappeared, like someone flipped a switch. Only sporadic splinters along the pitch canvas appeared, for a few seconds lighting the sky in full glory before returning it to it's previous still and dark state. She paused to examine the buildings, the pub behind him, the other structures, some weary and haggard while others appearing sturdy and young. The streets were rather dark but weak light filtered from some homes. She pondered faintly who was still up and why, wondering if they were worrying over exspenses of the next day's meal, or just a midnight snack. So many reasons.. all possible. But which one was correct? Well, she'd never know.

Anonymous

Jedrek sighed quietly, musing over the fact that they had seemed to change places. Now she was asking the personal questions, but he didn't mind. He was pretty open about most of the things in his life. He felt that truth and honesty were one of the most valuable traits a person could use and possess.

"Well, I suppose it can be good. I've unfortunately not entirely gotten the hang of it. I don't exactly have anyone to help me out with it. I mean.. I only recently even realized it was there which makes me wonder if there are any other bizarre gifts conceled within me."

Jedrek galnced up, noticing the last rays of the sun disappearing behind the shoddy structure before him and barely heard her question.

"Erm.. what am I?" he repeated, his had absentmindedly traveling up to play with his pointed ear again. "Well, I'm technically a mix of human and wood elf." he said flatly, not really knowing the answer was adequate or if she was asking a question beyond race.. perhaps what he even did with his life. He let his hand fall, and he laid it upon his fathers sword once more, the promise he made to his parents still ripe in his mind.

He stared back at the now absent sun and stood up from against the wall.

"Do you want to go somewhere? Anywhere that's not this alley?"

Anonymous

She nodded as he spoke how he had not thoroughly mastered his abilities, knowing how that was as she recalled the many, many weeks and years of training. She remembered the perfectly straight rows and columns they had to stand in. Of course that was only for the exercising and stretching. To better perfect their attacks they usually paired into small groups with higher up top-class children who taught them, and then an Instructor would preview it and fix any mishaps. But it worked particularly well that way. And, she realized, something happened that had stopped him from finding out his capabilities. Usually parents or other tribe members helped with things like that... But he had mentioned nothing about either and she decided it a closed file, not for her eyes.

The girl took little notice of him glancing at the building, she herself consumed by the patterns in the cobblestone, her eyes running between the stones and zigzagging past his feet but slowly returning. Her plum gaze traveled up his legs and his side to his face. Oh, woof elf and human! That would explain the slight point to his ears and the overall unusualness. Not that it was a BAD unusual, not that she'd admit to herself or to anyone else if it was good.

"Sure! Anywhere where we can sit," she said, rubbing the front of right thigh as to hint that her legs were sore.

Which, her legs were sore. From walking, stretching, climbing trees and excessive exercise. Those had strained her muscles, and she didn't know why. She should be used to it but she caused that she wasn't sitting around alot. Most of the time she was up and about and that she wasn't used to. She usually read or played a game while she sat, something stimulating to the mind or her mother would never forgive her. Always spurring her to do something. Ah well, she'd thank her later.

Anonymous

Jedrek felt a bit self conscious as he noticed her eyes studying him more closely. He turned slightly, as though avoiding a look at her would somehow shield him from being watched.

He smirked at her sudden outburst. She was probably tired, he wagered. He spun and looked down the street carefully, trying to figure out a place where they could sit. After all, he had lived in Adela for 10 years whereas she was a newcomer.

"Well, we could always go back into the place I just came out of," he said, gesturing toward the pub.

((We have to do something like move or be attacked. Because just talking isn't going much of anywhere.))

Anonymous

Nyutahi's constantly shifting attention soon alighted on a very short woman--petite by petite standards.  But her attention was not caught by her size--no, it was the cut of her gown--or robe, was it?  A unique cut, and not common cloth by any standard.  No, this was a well-to-do woman, possibly a merchant or lesser noble.  A tempting mark.

The woman walked near to the two of them, glancing up only briefly to flash a quick smile and a "How do you do?" as she strode towards the pub Jedrek had just left.  Nyutahi thought she might have heard the jangle of coins coming from her direction.  Just then, the woman turned and looked at the both of them.

"You know, standing out in the streets at this time of night is not only silly--after ally, you can hardly see each other--but dangerous.  There are all kinds about when the sun's down.  Come, have a drink with me!"  Another quickly-flashed smile and the woman giggled and entered the pub, not waiting to see if they'd follow.

Both of them saw what appeared to be murky shapes moving slowly and almost imperceptibly in the alley.

Anonymous

[Salrantol - careful with that borderline powerplaying :3 I get very annoyed very easily with even the slightest amounts, sorry.]

Nyutahi nodded slightly at Jedrek's question, the pub was close and perhaps she could find a snack. She was contemplating though, debating and was just about to answer when she heard the "How do you do?" From the very petite woman, feeling at least a bit better with Jedrek's height. But the Yuisheo only nodded at the woman, her fingers tightening on her sack, hugging it beneath her arm. Just because the other woman appeared frail didn't mean a damn thing.

Yes, all kinds. Like me, thieves.. Or you? Is that what you mean, woman? Like you? What are you? Are a thief too? You could very well be.. There is something not right about you. I don't like you, her mind was in overdrive, eyes narrowed to slits.

But she was making assumptions already - but the kindness she showed was different. It wasn't like Jedrek's kindness, maybe because she seemed more hyper? Not as laid back? She didn't know, but the thought of sitting did make the woman's invite even more appealing, but the thought of drinking.. As she said, all sorts out. She glanced at Jedrek and shrugged.

"I guess the pub it is," she said, unsure and insecure with her answer.

While she saw the shapes she thought she'd rather deal with those 'evils' then the drinking evil. While she tentatively entered, her sack clutched firmly to her hip, her pants billowed around her legs lightly, the silver band at her ankles glinting along with the silver cuffs on her shirt which disappeared into the sash around her waist.

Her hard-soled, sock-like sandal tapped dully on the floor. The smell of liquor was instrusive, the air stifled her and the only thing that was even sort-of appealing was one of the chairs. Her legs ached even more so, or maybe it was all in her mind.

Anonymous

[I'm very sorry, I didn't realize putting things into your field of vision/attention would constitute such powergaming.  In the future, you'll know if I'm trying to powergame  :twisted: ]

The woman stood upon Nyutahi's entrance, though she actually grew shorter coming down from her chair.  "Ah, good, you've accepted my invitation.  You never know what can happen to you in the streets."  A glint in her eyes made it appear as though she meant something personal by that, but it quickly went away.  "Come, come, sit!  There's plenty of room here."

The gnome hopped back up on her chair and looked expectantly up at Nyutahi.  She appeared more knowing than she could have been.  Of course, Nyutahi had no way of knowing it, but she always looked that way.  Her life's work depended on it.  If she could not convince you she knew what you needed--just what would solve your problems--she wouldn't be in much good shape fiscally.

But she didn't know what Nyutahi needed, or the tall fellow outside--although she had a couple ideas for him--so she needed some time before she could start her pitch.  Some time to find out what she needed--so that she could provide it.

Or at least a close approximation :twisted:

Anonymous

Jedrek stood helplessly in the streets next to the two women, the more recent of the two was practically half his height which made him a bit self conscious. There was something about this woman that he wasn't particularly fond of, and he wasn't sure going into have a drink with her was the best of ideas, but Nyutahi needed to sit, he could tell. He wouldn't deny the poor girl the simple pleasure of resting.  While inside, he whispered into her ear,

"I can pay for it." he said, reassuringly, not wanting the other woman to hear, but letting Nyutahi know that despite her lack of money, he'd do whatever he could to protect her in any way. It was true, too. He felt this completely inexplicable pull towards her. He felt like he was there not necessarily to "protect" her as she seemed to be able to take care of herself, but more of an auxiliary force to aid in anything she needed.

He sat calmly, weighing the thoughts over in his mind. He looked around the pub, noticing many of the patrons were still there. He glanced at each of them, remembering the thoughts he had plucked from their minds not too long before and decided he wouldn't try any of that again tonight. Besides, they had company, and she apparently wanted to talk to them, so he'd at least try to muster attention to the conversation at the table.

He looked toward the barkeep, whistling slightly, signaling him to come over. Jedrek gave him a small order, just a bit of ale and maybe some bread. Jedrek looked toward Nyutahi with a look that said "don't worry about it"

"So, what'll it be for you two ladies?" the barkeep asked politely.

Anonymous

Fenia wasn't sure she was happy to see Jedrek follow them in.  She could read him plenty well, he made enough sense--but him around her fouled everything up.  He changed his behaviour dramatically from his norm, and she became even harder to discern.  No outward sign bore this out though; another sign of her well-trained emotions.

A surprisingly bright grin flashed onto her face at the barkeep's approach.  In response to his question, Fenia quickly responded, "I'll have a flaming tomorrow, and I believe she would like one too."  Fenia looked at Nyutahi expectantly, studiously.  A good way of figuring out someone's thought process was to see how they ordered a drink, and when someone tried to order for them.

After the orders were taken, Fenia turned to her guests and inquired, "Now, I'm sure you both know that I'm new to Adela.  I haven't been here long, so you'll forgive me if I don't know either of you from the get-go.  I would like to know your names, and maybe whether you be natives or imports before the conversation gets away from us."  The look on her face clearly conveyed that she sincerely expected the conversation to get away from them.

Anonymous

Nyutahi blinked her surprise - he'd order for her? She didn't feel comfortable with it though - if it was her parents or siblings she'd happily indulge herself. But with him.. no. She had no right to waste his money, even if he seemed willing to do so. And that woman.. She was short, and with her petite size Nyutahi suspected she was quick. Which made her all the more wary. Her wrists and ankles burned, driving her to be uncomfortable, but the ache in her legs subsided when she sat down. She couldn't help but to lean farther away from the gnome.

Ass so many times before, she felt her voice sink deep inside her. The thought of speaking seemed like a chore rather than a gift. But she didn't say anything, just sat calmly. Nyutahi was simply suspicious of this very short person. But the cheerfulness managed to sorely grate against her, annoying her.

".....No thank you. Only one Flaming Tomorrow. Nothing for me, thanks," she had paused at first, startled and trying to politely muster up some words.

It suddenly appeared to the Yuisheo that the girl was studying them, observing them and trying to gauge at them. Like they were there for entertainment. Of course, this only made her dislike the other girl more but she said nothing. That was the thing - when she disliked someone she started going quiet. But, the difference with her was that she wasn't afraid to tell someone she didn't like them.

She "believed" wrong. That damn person should just fuckin' shove it. I should have got the other drink and just shoved it down her throat.. I swear if she does it again.. Wait, who the fuck am I kidding? Like I'm going to do a damn thing about that bossy little bitch, was Nyutahi's thoughts, but hinted to nothing of it, because she was "nice" and friendly, but sometimes her thoughts ran away with her for a moment.

Imports..? Sheesh. Oh well, I should just calm down, yes. She probably isn't that bad once I relax, she thought, sincerely trying to gather up patience.

Nyutahi opened her drawstring sack, fishing out the flask of water and wiggled the cork, coaxing it from the neck she took a swig, swishing the warm water around her mouth before she popped it back in and stuffed it into her sick, pulled the strings and tucked it beneath an arm. She reclined back in her chair, relaxing with a yawn.

"What's your name? Mine's Nyutahi and I'm not from here," she said, not answering for Jedrek, just herself.

The girl was ready to say "It's really none of your buisness, now is it?" At any moment, but she held her tongue - like stated before, the thought of actually speaking seemed like such a strain.

Anonymous

Jedrek eyed the tiny woman cautiously, the deep brown pools possessing a surprising clarity and insight into the innerworkings of the mind. She seemed a bit too nosy for him, and also a bit too cheerful. Nyutahi, on the other hand, was a much more natural balance of the two. He broke his glare toward the small woman to throw his eyes for mere seconds of Nyutahi, appreciating her calm and independent nature more than he realized when pushed into an awkward situation like this.

He smilled toward the barkeep, "Well, you heard them. I'll of course have my usual," he continued, the barkeep knowing Jedrek's order within moments of him even sitting on the stool.

The tiny woman's studying eyes began to bore holes in the side of Jedrek's head. To relieve the focus her could feel permeating from her, he throw his hand up to his ear, once again absentmindedly playing with it's pointed tip but now blocking her face from his periphery.

He spoke without looking at her, "I'm Jedrek. Not really a native, but I've been here a long time." He spoke in clipped, brusque sentences, turning his gaze to the wooden table before them. He stroked it slightly, feeling an odd natural connection to the tree. He winced slightly, as though he could feel the pain of the dismembered giant, and continued to stroke it gently with a finger, wondering if his ancestors once lived in trees like this and how they maintained their respect toward nature while occupying it's protection.

Anonymous

"Ah, well it's nice to meet you both--Nyutahi and Jedrek.  My name is Fenia and I've been here in Adela less than a week."  Sometimes it was too easy.  Her over-the-top cheeriness was grating on both of them.  When people are uncomfortable, their facades are torn away and their true natures shine through.  She could see that Nyutahi was a very private individual--she didn't like to let others look inside.  Jedrek was very shy, didn't seem to want any attention.

Tough sells, to be sure, but she loved a challenge.  Suddenly, something did catch her eye.  Jedrek's hand was stroking the table--a common enough act by those who are uncomfortable and nervous--but this was different.  Something...connected them.  Nothing really supernatural, it appeared; just a very intense sense of plant empathy.  Fascinating.  She'd have to remember that.

"Oh!" Fenia exclaimed suddenly, as though a stray thought had just leapt into the forefront of her mind.  "I'd nearly forgotten!"  She turned around to her bag--had that been there before?--and withdrew three rolls of bread.  They looked as though they had come out of the oven only moments before Fenia had come to the pub.  Still very fresh, steam continued to stream from them.  They did appear slightly crushed by their time in the bag, but otherwise, they looked ideal.  Fenia withdrew three such rolls and set one in front of each of them.  "There!  I made them this afternoon.  I hope you like them.

"By the way," she continued, "I am rather curious--since you're not from here--where it is you're each from.  I'm actually from a village not far from Thanatos, but that area hardly suited me, so I've been moving from place to place ever since.  I really like Adela though, and am hoping to spend a great deal of time here."

There.  Tell them about yourself.  Make it clear you're not just interrogating them, but actually trying to be friendly.  Flash the big smile.  Good.  This should open them up a bit.

Anonymous

Nyutahi was possessed by sudden and easy mood changes, never the same each day. Sometimes similiar, but usually never quite the same depth. But Nyutahi had been there... perhaps.. a few hours? She didn't know anyone, and while she was shy from strangers this girl made her sore. Her personality made her teeth and fists clench. She was a person she'd have bullied back home until they shut up. A person she would have avoided like the plague. Then again - maybe if it was yesterday or tomorrow this wouldn't have bothered her at all.

As soon as the bread was placed in front of them her face went blank and her lids fell at half mast and she had the distinct gaze as if she wasn't looking at the bread. But past it, through it, as if she could see something through the table and on the floor. She simply stared, her body relaxed as her gaze did not waver. A sudden 'click' happened inside her head and she gave a false smile that she knew was very fake. Why? Because it was rare for her to smile and mean it and not be amused. She pushed the bread away and shook her head, right back to the girl. She was still wondering where that bag had come from.

"No thank you, I'm not hungry," she said in a strained and chipper voice.

Then when the girl asked them where they had lived she wondered of this 'Thanatos'. She had never heard of it, and she 'hmmed' to herself. But she had quickly caught that big smile that made her eyes narrow to slits in her face for just a second. Her eyebrow rose and the tattoos hidden beneath the silver anklets and braclets burned harshly and the piercing in her face seemed almost translucent.

"What do you WANT?!" She said with surprising force and volume, eyes set ablaze as power surged in her chest, slamming her sandal against the floor, collecting some glances but only returned them with a glare.

Her attitude had turned quite sour with her suspicioun. The spheres materialized in a dark corner of the room, blending in because of their dark purple, even deeper than Nyutahi's eyes.

Anonymous

Ah, suspicion.  Glorious emotion, but not helpful to her at this time.  So the girl didn't want any bread--didn't trust Fenia.  Something about Fenia unsettled her.  All the better.  No one trusts a merchant anyway, and with Fenia's wares, even less so.  Should she find Fenia to be selling something she wanted, her suspicions would be irrelevant.

Ah, rage.  A new emotion.  Unstable, this girl.  No matter.  She still has needs, wishes, desires.  Perhaps the rage is her desire?  Perhaps escaping it?  Either one would suit Fenia just fine.  The question, though--ah, the question.

"What do I want?"  Fenia giggled like a schoolgirl, and burst into uproarious laughter, drawing stares from those who had just looked away from Nyutahi's outburst.  "What I want is not the question, though it is a good one."  The demeanor was stripped from Fenia's composure as she stood on her chair to look into Nyutahi's eyes face to face.  Veritably a different person, Fenia looked at the girl with piercing eyes and a very businesslike, emotionless expression.

"The real question," and she looked up at Jedrek as well with this, "is what do you want?

"Now, do not think this mere irony, to turn your question back at you.  It truly is the question at hand.  Had you wanted bread, bread you would now have.  Had you wanted a flaming tomorrow, a flaming tomorrow you would now have.  You wondered about coming inside--I provided a reason.  The goal of my presence, my wish, is to fulfill your wants, your wishes, your desires.  So, as I stated--the question is: 'What do you want?'"

At this, Fenia sat down again, and her all-too-chipper demeanor instantly returned.

"Oh, well, more bread for me," she grinned, taking a large bite out of Nyutahi's rejected roll.  "Mmm...delicious."

Anonymous

Jedrek had continued to stare away from the table, deep in thought about the blood that flowed through his veins. Blood he knew but wished he could better understand. Maybe at some point in his life, he could try and find the village that his biological father had lived in, or he could simply go to the wood and try and further explore his connection with it. And what of his life? Would he be immortal as the elves, or simply age slower. He continued to wander through the crowded and complicated recessess of his mind when he heard Nyutahi scream.

He turned his head with a start, his mouth hanging open for a millisecond until he quickly closed it. He sat silently, staring at the two powerful women when he thought he saw a small circular object out of the corner of his eye. He dismissed it as quickly as he thought he saw it and listened to Fenia speak of making their desires come true.

Except there had to be a catch. There was always a catch, and he knew that. Jedrek closed his mind off to all other thoughts and focused in on Fenia. He turned to look at her for the first time in several minutes and concentrated on her mind, each of its nooks, placing his hand firmly onto the table, as though he could somehow tap into it's energy and looked for an answer.

Anonymous

"Oh no, you're wrong there. I had another reason to come in here. My legs ache, and with your appearance my ankles burn," she hissed through clenched teeth.

While Nyutahi probably appeared unstable, there were certain triggers, like little switches in her head that went off quite quickly at certain things. She wasn't going to take a chance with this Fenia person. She wasn't going to trust her, no no. While Nyutahi could find many flaws in herself and in the world there was nothing she wanted that she couldn't get herself. If she wanted it bad enough she could get it.

"I want nothing that you can offer," she responded, knowing that now she'd have to be surprisingly careful with her words.

What was her angle? Selling things? What was it with her bread and that stupid flaming tomorrow? Her anger was only rising steadily and her face was already flushed, burning as much as her wrists and ankles, the piercing on her face causing her left cheek and eye to ache. Her eye felt liek it was going to pop out of her school any minute. But she didn't sit back down until a moment later, her legs needing the rest.

Anonymous

Jedrek stared directly at Fenia, though she hardly noticed.  She was busy studying Nyutahi's reaction.  This allowed Jedrek the focus he needed to pry into her mind.  In an instant, like a flood, images poured into Jedrek's mind--a vase with flowers, two chairs at a table, Fenia standing next to a giant of a man, a red sea under a yellow sky, a legion of elves dancing in perfect unison, four hundred oranges in a pile--how'd he know how many--seven men riding fourteen horses with twenty heads, a blue ball in purple grass, a knife dripping sap--a meaningless muddle.  Some included Fenia, some included others that appeared to be real people, but others were random inclusions, forced visions, a safety net.

A voice pierced his senses.  "I can't keep you out, I understand that.  But anything you want to know, you can find out a lot easier by just asking me.  Even were you virtually immortal, you'd be old and grey before you can piece together the real images and thoughts."

Fenia returned to Nyutahi.  "Yes--your legs ached.  Therefore, you wished to sit.  Therefore, you accepted my offer of joining me.  Your desire fulfilled.  All very simple."  Fenia's grin at this was truly sincere.  It always amused her when people didn't realize how simple it was to have a desire fulfilled.  There are more complicated desires, but many are just as simple as that--a place to sit, food for the belly, drink to wash it down, company to warm a bed, a fire to warm a house, shelter from rain.  These are no less valuable, and often more so.

At Nyutahi's remark that she needed nothing from Fenia, the gnome's reverie was broken and she burst once again into laughter, causing her to mutter under her breath, "Insyutahe vermothak torosen ex herotheon" and quickly the others looked away.  "You want nothing that I can offer?  You have no understanding then of what I can offer.  What is it you want?  Is it this?"  Quickly, Fenia's visage shifted to that of Jedrek, but only for a moment before shifting again to another--then another--and within a moment, every man Nyutahi had ever spent any time with had appeared before her.  Fenia looked as though nothing had happened.  "Is it this?"  Fenia lifted her right hand, palm up, and every trinket that Nyutahi had ever sought as a child flashed before her eyes, followed by a glimpse of each different type of coin she had ever seen, then every piece of jewelry she had seen clearly, beginning and ending with her own bracelets.  "Is it this?"  An image pierced Nyutahi's mind, driving everything else away--it was herself, on a placid mountaintop, sitting serenely, looking perfectly calm and content.  Then it was gone, replaced by an image of her in a gladiatorial arena, filled with and consumed by rage.  Then it was gone, and Fenia sat where she had before.

Anonymous

[don't say my character's head spun, because you don't know if it did]

Nyutahi focused on the only thing that was truly real - herself. A hand reached up to the burning piercing of four circleson her face, her fingers pressing into them and her eyes closed. She began humming a tune she remembered as a child, ignoring it all. It was lilting and lifted upwards until it was a high pitched shrill and then cut off abruptly when the images stopped. A caustic brow lifted at Fenia as she eyed the gnome almost wearily.

"Stop making stupid assumptions. I was going to come in here with or without your offer. It was the nearest place to sit," she said, quite annoyed with the girl and not attempting to hide it.

"No. I want none of it," she said tiredly, and it was sincere.

She wasn't going to say what she wanted - mostly because she didn't know. The ideas and thoughts inside her were a muddled mess. Some days she wanted to die - other days she wanted to live her life to the fullest. Other days she simply didn't care what she did.

"I already have what I want," she stated.

A whisper in her gave the vague thought that she wanted.. love, possibly. But another pushed it out with a viciousness like no other. Love? She didn't deserve it. She didn't want it. What would it bring her? It'd make her life more complicated and she convinced herself - of course there was that voice that said she was wrong. But she knew she'd probably find it someday in her life. She was barely out of adolescence.. she should give herself a break, right? Yes.

Anonymous

[I went back and edited out the line about her head spinning.  I was just trying to convey the disorienting effect of the illusions, I'm sorry.]

Fenia's smile quickly faded.

She looked disdainfully at Nyutahi, like a schoolmarm who had just caught a student cheating.

"You already have what you want?"  An oddly malicious grin for the usually upbeat and joyous Fenia.  "That's simply another way of saying you don't know what you want.  If you're going to ask me not to make stupid assumptions, I'll have to ask you to not make stupid assertions.  Now then," she added, returning to her normal self, "what do I have that can help you figure it out?"

Fenia turned again to her bag and fished around in it briefly.  "Aha!" she exclaimed, withdrawing a pair of spectacles, with a soothing aqua tint to the lenses.  She placed them on her head and looked around.  "Splendid!" she cried.  "This should work marvelously!"  A glance at Jedrek flooded her mind with words--paranoid, suspicious, telepathic, tall, I'll consider him soon, What does he really want?, Where'd he get that sword?,What does he want with Nyutahi?, is he as naive as he appers?, wow, he's tall--and she looked away, but that brought her glance to Nyutahi, which flooded her mind with even more words--defensive, suspicious, deceitful, she's hiding something, Why won't she tell me what she wants?, I'd kill for breasts like hers, Why is she so angry at me for trying to do something nice to her?, What is she so afraid of?, cute hair, What's that under her left eye, I want to help her--and she hastily removed the glasses.

With a relaxed sigh, she held the spectacles out to Nyutahi.  "The Lenses of Understanding," she said.  "With but a glance, it will put into your mind in words what you think and wonder about someone.  If you will but tell me what it says when you look at me, I will be content to leave you be if it reveals nothing of your desires.  Be honest, please."  The expression on her face showed her closing plea to be sincere.

Anonymous

[it's okay ^^' i'm sorry i get so.. snappish when that happens, i don't know why i do :3]

Now it was Nyutahi's time to burst out laughing. She put a hand and barred the way between herself and the glasses, eyeing Fenia with her eyes glinting coolly. There were somethings Nyutahi couldn't explain about herself and decided not too. There were somethings she didn't want to explain - things she just didn't care about. But she didn't want to know. She didn't want to know what she thought about any of these people.

"I don't want to know what I think about all of you. And you want to know what I think of when I look at you? A very short woman," she spoke in caustic tones.

"And you know what? I know I don't know what I want. Because it changes from day to day - and frankly I don't care. I don't want to know," she said in tired, impatient voice.

The gnome had caught her off guard with her offer, and then the cheeriness and interrogation. It had grated against her and made her angry at herself for not expecting the unexpected. Nyutahi was resentful towards the woman for those simple reasons - it was probably so that she'd never meet the woman ever again and she was fine with that. She didn't care if the gnome died - she didn't care if she tripped and broke her ankle or grew ill from bad food. Nyutahi made it a point to convince herself not to care about anyone unless she had too. But still be as polite as possible.

[ah, gah, sorry klmnumbers! i totally forgot to allow you time to post and before i knew it i was already more than half way through the post :(]