Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A vampire and scholar walk into a bar...

Started by Ycharley, January 07, 2013, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

This tavern, well, it was a rather rough one. It had a very distinct odor to it. Like old liquor and unbathed men. It took a certain type of person to be able to take that smell, Scarlett just happened to be one of the kind of people.

She walked into the tavern covered in a cloak, her hood pulled up high so only the bottom of her face was visible. This is where she was supposed to find the man who had supposedly been where she needed to go. He was the one that was supposed to have the knowledge to help her find her maker.

The tavern had grown rather dark, but she had no problem seeing every detail. Several of the burly men sitting at the bar had began to eye her, she ignored them, though she noted that they would make a tasty snack for later.

Looshi

Even centuries ago, he wasn't a frequenter of taverns and the like. The reason had escaped him long enough to find himself wandering into one such establishment. It was nestled in between two rock faces, and shielded from the wind. Meant to be a place of rest for those who chose to travel on the road, no doubt. From afar, Jonas nearly missed the sight of it, if it wasn't for the stables and number of whinnying horses, he would have.

The day was growing dark when he headed inside. And regret filled him like an old chamber pot. He should have stayed outside, he thought at first, but when the warmth of hot coals on a fire started to seep into his bones to revive them he couldn't find the strength inside himself to meander back out. Not tonight. And not the next night. Or the next. While not an INN, it had a couple rooms to spare for travellers, and that's where he stayed. He grew used to the kind of patrons that would visit from neighbouring towns and came to like their company - or at least their stories.

This night he sat at a table with two large men that smelt distinctly like their horses, and listened to the rumours they were able to gather on the road. Such things were useful. Such things had some truth in them, that he had learned. He would trade his own knowledge, whatever that might have been worth. The tavern simmered down to quiet whispers as the door opened and the rush of wind blew in, along with a woman.

Jonas moved slightly, peering around his company to get a look at her, much like many of the others were doing. The old walls did not see many woman, from what people had told him, and he frowned at the lecherous expressions drawn on one or two of the patrons.

Ycharley

Scarlett brushed the cloak over both shoulders to reveal her curve insinuating tight outfit. A tight corset that ended several inches above her belly button and tight leather pants that rode low on her hips. She loved showing off her flawless skin, it made it easier for her to get snacks.

She flashed the men a bright smile, her fangs were sheathed so they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. She carried herself with every bit of confidence in the world. She quickly saw the man she was looking for. Couldn't miss his snow white hair. Now she had to draw him in, get him interested in her. Get him wanting to help her so she didn't have to ask him.

She sat at the bar and tossed a few gold pieces at the tavern keeper and told him to keep the drinks coming. She turned her back to the bar with ale and hand and began to speak. "Come closer and hear my tale," She beconed with a smile. She started to speak, to paint the picture of the place. Her words the paint and brush stroke, making the men almost feel the sun rays on her flesh. They could almost hear the crickets churp as she began to desribe a tomb.

Looshi

She was a show off, he'd wager. The way she dragged of her cloak, the action literally echoed from wall to wall in the room. Jonas wasn't impressed. Okay, maybe he was a little bit impressed at the bravery(or stupidity) it took for a woman wearing revealing clothing, to uh, reveal them. His eyes squinted at her, and he wasn't the only one still staring. There was an oddness about her he couldn't quite place. It was in her demeanour. She owned everything and everyone in the tiny little tavern, and she knew it.

Men shifted in their seats, and some even waddled over to the table and chairs the woman sat down on with grins on their faces that struck their voices dumb. Jonas began to ignore her, but her voice lifted up into the air and it was all he could hear. She could paint a story, yet it was one that made him wary.

Blue stone, craved into statues. Pillars half broken and crumbled. Moss covered the ruins, its body stretching out to fill in the cracks. To find life when there was death. Stairs wove themselves underground, and a door blocked her way. Sigils pressed into the old stone, and while they were worn the magic could be felt. Press your hand to it, and it will reach your heart.

He knew the story she was telling. And before he knew it, he wandered over to her table.

Ycharley

Scarlett looked at the man. A smile crossed her face. "Nice for you to join us in a middle of a story, you know that isn't polite," She pointed out quickly before quickly moving back to the story. How the fog rose up from the ground, how you could feel its moist touch against our skin, how the chill seeped into your bones no how many layers you wore or how big a fire you made.

The tomb was a place of gods, demons, and the dead. A place of ancient magic that infected the area like a plague. A magic that was uncontrollable and more of a curse then a blessing. She then started to speak of the curse of the tomb. A thing she had picked up from old text and the closest thing she could place that would fit with her and the note she was given.

Scarletts eyes kept going to the man, looking at his face and judging his reaction. She wondered how much he knew and what all he wanted to learn. Did he know her master? She had to know.

Looshi

His gut twisted at her comment, causing a deep frown to pull at his lips. Jonas rubbed awkwardly at the dark stubble on his face as he sat down, all too aware of her eyes on him. The story continued and the familiarity clawed at him, dragging it's nails deep within his skin so that he bled. His own nails dug into the top of the table as he sat there, transfixed.

She was describing the only place he could call home. And the way her eyes flicked over to him at certain parts, he wanted to say that she knew what she was doing. But how did she know about him, if it was more than a coincidence? The tomb was not known to most historians and lorekeepers, not anymore. It was the sleeping place of fallen gods, as much as he hated to think that.

When the stories had ended, and the rest of the patrons dispersed back to their regular watering holes, Jonas stayed in the company of the woman. His heart pounding hard into his ears.

"That story...How did you come to know it?" He said after a long silence he took to mull over his words.

Ycharley

Scarlett took a moment to pick her words, there was no way in hell she was going to confess being a vampire to the strange man. At least not right now, she would have to make sure he was the right man, make sure he knew all that he was said to. She also had to see if he would be willing to share his knowledge and maybe even travel back to the tomb.

"It is... Very significant to me. Holds a very near and dear place in my heart," She said before finishing off her first Ale. She turned to set the empty cup back on the bar before returning her gaze at him. She examined him slowly, she could hear his heart pounding as if it was her own. It had been a long time since she had felt her heart though. A long time indeed.

"I've also heard that it is very significant for you. I was told this a number of years ago, I find it odd how you still fit the exact description, not a wrinkle more,"She said crossing her legs and leaning back. She was going to push him.

Looshi

He should have left the table, or better yet, never moved from his original place. The air was stale in the tavern, and has he breathed through his nose, he could taste the old dank wood, and dirty Ale. Yet, none of that unnerved him. The woman did. She came in without a word, and then all they could hear was her voice. She had an intention.

Jonas didn't expect it would be this.

His eyes didn't waver from her as she spoke, but a cold anchor sunk in his gut. He drew his hands off from the table, his knuckles turning as pale as his face. It surprised him to hear that she knew him. He wanted to run and not look back. But she didn't know what she was getting into. He didn't know what he was getting into.

"Funny how that works." He made no more comment on his apparent unchanging looks. "What do you want with the tomb of Sala'Ful?"

The old dead god's name was bitter on his tongue. His god of Mercy.

Ycharley

She watched him close with her piercing eyes. She was reading him, the slightest change in muscles she could pick out. The slightest scent of fear and of course his heart beats both clear indicators on his reaction to anything she might speak.

She paused as he asked, weighing her words slowly. She couldn't afford to run him off, she had to remain mysterious in her words to keep his attention.

"A curse," She said simply. He clearly had a curse, of course she could tell it wasn't vampyrism. He had a heart beat which still meant he was mortal, though he didn't age. Scarlett took a big drink of her Ale, "God of mercy my ass," She said, the statement more to herself than to him.

She had started to grow a resentment to this god. A god she had to research to find out all she could just to learn how she might reverse her condition. A god who clearly wasn't merciful.

Looshi

He moved awkwardly under her stare. She was reading him, not unlike how a predator watches their prey, but he too was not taking his eyes off the woman. There was something he had that she wanted. And he was beginning to feel like it wasn't close to being simple. Her comment made him frown, marking her obvious lack of faith in Sala'ful. Here he had began to think someone of the old faith had found him. It will not be the last time he would be proven wrong, he thought regretfully.

"Gods are not as us mortals." He said, his voice stern. Jonas could sense the wild anger that was alien to him start to boil up. It was not a normal emotion, there was something behind it that stirred more than any breadth of a human could. "It's not up to decide what is merciful."

"Sala'ful doesn't curse." He sat back in his chair, attempting to forget the slight against the god. In all the writings, never once did they curse. If they gave anything away, it was one of their Seven Blessings. "You have the wrong god."

Ycharley

Scarlett's jaws clenched, her eyes narrowing at the man. "The hell they don't curse," She spoke her words bitter. She lowered her voice, her face softening for a moment, " I know they curse, trust me. Unless another god is linked to that tomb, it was Sala'ful."

"I also know the infliction that was placed upon me is no blessing, it is a curse and I need your help. I know you received something from Sala'ful. I also know that you know more about him then I do. So take mercy on me and help. I'm near desperate for it," She spoke, her words a soft whisper.

Looshi

He didn't break his gaze on her, even as she narrowed her eyes and he felt a cold chill run down his spine; it was akin to a night without a fire, and the fear that festered when there was no light to brighten the dark. Jonas set his jaw. There was no other god tied to the tomb, he knew that, everyone who kept to the old faith knew it. It was Sala'ful's and noone else. To die in it was to be damned. He prayed for all the souls that did.

"Affliction?" He hissed under his breath, and eyed the patrons of the tavern. They were milking their own ale, and didn't look back to the woman; as if she was a passing favour. Jonas listened to her, but it did not sate his anger.

"You are desperate if you sought out me." He said, with a heavy sigh. She was so fixated on a curse, from a dead god. Heavens help him make it through the night without breaking something. "I'm not the one you should be asking mercy from."

He leaned in close again, his hands on the table, and his eyes flashing with cold blue smoke of his magic manifesting. He couldn't control it. And at times, such as this, he hardly noticed. "I want to know one thing before I even think about helping you. Who told you about me?"

Ycharley

"I don't know his real name, or even if the man is still alive. It took me a while to find you, long enough for an old man like himself to die. I only knew him as the wise-man. That is all that anyone called him. I had to pay him a pretty copper to get your name and how to track you," She explained, her voice soft, almost a whisper. Seeing the flash in his eyes, she didn't ask about it right away.

She sighed deeply. It seemed that he had decided that he would help her. She hoped he wouldn't back out once he found out what she was. "Were you cursed too. The.. That flash in your eyes?" She asked her voice just as soft as before.

Looshi

Jonas relaxed slightly, though the tension set in his jaw told otherwise. Another one of her stories, yet it lacked the flair of the first. It was said more matter-of-fact than flowery exposition. He wasn't sure if he believed her; wasn't sure if he should believe her. But if whatever ailment that afflicted her was caused by the tomb, it was in his favour to help her. It may help him in the end.

"I see." He said slowly.

He squinted at the mention of his own 'curse', and swore mentally over that flicker which passed by without his notice. Her voice held a calming tone to it, he could hardly become angry at what was his own mistake. At least not angry at her.

His features softened and he sighed. "Sala'ful doesn't curse...But, maybe something in the tomb does."

His faith would blind him to the truth, but he didn't know it.

"Look," He said, "I can take you there if that's what you want. But I can't guarantee we'll find anything."

Ycharley

Scarlett looked down, her cat like features smoothed and calmed making her appear more girlish.
"We have too," She spoke softly as a deep sense of relief slowly began to spread throughout her body like a drug. She might finally be able to get some answers, better yet, she might be able to find a cure to the curse that afflicted her.

She took a sharp breath in, a soft smile gracing her lips for a moment. "Are you going to require payment?" Scarlett asked as her face returned to its normal state.

Scarlett look back down for a moment, "What if you find that something that proves your faith flawed?"

Looshi

'We have to' she said. We. Jonas didn't need to enter the tomb again. He preferred if he didn't. What if he fell asleep once more? What kind of world would he wake up to then?  At least this one was familiar.

Her smile sent a shiver down his spine; it was executed in a way that looked off, given her features. It was soft, like the purr of her voice. He recognized the feeling: Everything was going to be all right. If only he had that much confidence in himself.

"No, no payment." Truth be told, he had enough money to do him for quite a while due to a fortunate fluke with a bounty. He had no want for the woman's coin.

Her next question was what made him curl his fingers into fists on the table. "I pray that I don't."

Cutting the conversation short, he stood up. A squeal came from the feet of the chair. "We leave in the morning. Is that all right with you?"

Ycharley

Scarlett took at deep breath at the mention about leaving in the morning. She wouldn't burst into flame per-say, but even with her thick cloak the sun made her rather uncomfortable. She also knew that he was human so he would definitely prefer traveling during the day.

Scarlett didn't want to scare the man off right when he decided to help her so she wouldn't give the man any reason to fear her. She wouldn't share her secret, she could afford a negative reaction.

"Morning will do," She spoke before turning to the bartender, asking if there was any vacancies. She was lucky, she would be getting the last room available. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep but she had to keep up appearances.

She stayed in the bar for a long time. Scarlett would have to fight her urges all night, plus, a day out in the sun would make her thirst almost unbarriable.

Looshi

The events of the evening left him tossing and turning on the pile of hay that worked as a bed in the old dank tavern. That night it bothered him; where he slept, the snoring of other guests and the deep voices of the patrons still down at their tables, long after sleep should have taken them. The sounds and the scratches to his skin bore into his character far more than it should have. But Jonas was troubled, and his mind would not rest.

That woman...

He came waltzing into the tavern and for long moments she swept, including himself, them under a spell. He worried it was all a rouse to get to him, and the worry was right. She wanted his knowledge, and after a while he had given it to her. Yet that wasn't all. The Tomb of Sala'ful was in their future, and he dreaded what they would find, if anything at all.

He hadn't even gotten the woman's name.

That morning he would be addressing a stranger.

Jonas waited in the bar for her to come down stairs. It was early, and he was nursing a bowl of slop that passed as food around here. Dark bags hung under his eyes, showing his sleepless night plain on his face.

Ycharley

Scarlett came out into the bar looking like she had had the best nights sleep ever. What really happened though was she had a few snacks that night. Her cloak was wrapped tight around her, only her face visible. She looked at Jonas and frowned.

"You look... Rather horrific," She spoke, trying to hold a somewhat pleasant tone to not be as offensive.

She moved with an almost unnatural, nearly unnerving grace, appear almost as if she were floating. She sat beside him and offered her hand. "Last night I noticed I did not share my name. I am Scarlett," She spoke softly. She was finding it hard to keep the pleasant smile on her face, she could hear his heart, and if he decided to shake her hand she would be able to feel his pulse.

Even with the snacks she had had last night her thirst was never ending, that was why she never let herself get close to people, she didn't want to lose control in front of anyone. She wondered if he would notice there was something different about her if he shook her hand since he was also cursed. Then her mind wondered if she was cold to the touch.

The man who had turned her hadn't been cold to the touch but she couldn't tell if she was, she was somewhat dead.

Looshi

It wasn't food he was staring at as the wooden spoon made a sucking noise when he raised it. It was some concealed muck they found in the corner of the bar. Despite the small coin he paid for it, he hadn't been able to force any of it down, making him tired and hungry. Jonas had a frown placed on his lips when he first heard her step down the stair well. Heads perked up, including his own, to watch her dissent. She moved like everything had a purpose, and she knew what it was.

"I see you had a better night." He said, managing a small smile when she made it over to him. Right as rain. Pretty as a posy. There was a number of metaphors he could use, but those were the only ones coming to his mind.

He hesitated when she held out her hand, his brown eyes staring too long at her out reaching fingers; each so delicate and without marred by scars or rough callouses. Was she nobility? It would explain her clothing.

"I had a feeling that would be your name." He said, with a little more of a smile. He took her hand. It was slightly colder than his own, but his own had been nursing a bowl of hot...whatever it was. "I'm assuming you already know mine. But, it's Jonas either way."

When they broke the hand shake, his own went to tapping on the table top. The wood was soft under his fingertips. Mostly mold he figured. It was a wonder he didn't become ill from this place. Did the magic protect him from that as well?

"Do you want to eat?" He asked, more than willing to push his bowl of muck towards her in an offer to share. Or give out right. "Or should we just be on our way?  I have a supply of dried meat stuffs we can survive off of for a while." He touched the bag he kept at his feet with the toe of his boot.

He was hoping she wanted to leave as soon as possible.