Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A vampire and scholar walk into a bar...

Started by Ycharley, January 07, 2013, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

Scarlett shook her head. How could this man say that, this so called god of mercy cursed him and in a sick way he was blaming himself for it. She shook her head, it seemed completely ridiculous to her.

"You are blaming yourself for wanting to know someone hadn't abandoned you? I won't say what I think of that simply because I know it will rub against your nerves the wrong way." She said with a sigh.

She sat back and shook her head. This man was ridiculous. She would never be one to bow down to the will of some 'god'. She finally noticed that Jonas hadn't eaten. "You really need to eat, you might not think you need too, but you are still mortal."

Looshi

"What?" His expression scrunched up and he gave her a quick glare. "I'm not sure what you mean." Blaming himself? It was his own mistakes that led him to where he was, he understood that, but he was beyond blaming. He had to make up for them. Whatever he did stirred something in the tomb. And back then...

The subject quickly changed, and had to bite back a flare of anger sparking up in him. She didn't know, he had to remind himself. She didn't know the gods as he did.

"Right." He said, deflated. She was right about eating, he'll give her that. Jonas foraged in his rucksack for the dried jerky, and after a few moments he was readily chewing it down.

"Out of the four," he said, not speaking with his mouth full of food. Because that was just rude. "I was the only one that didn't die. We were trapped in there, trying to survive on whatever we brought with us. One of the sell-swords killed another over water." He continued, his voice sad

Ycharley

"When human's get desperate they turn into animals, being a vampire alleviates that issue. I don't need food or water and I can go a rather long time without blood, actually I don't think a vampire has ever died from not having blood. There have been vampires going crazy, but never dying," Scarlett spoke with a deep sigh.

She hoped that she wasn't boring him, but she felt as if she needed to talk about something.

Looshi

"Funny that." He said with a small laugh. "I thought vampires couldn't die."

Besides his lightheartedness, she was right. Humans had the ability to turn into monsters when it came to trying to survive. It was a primal instinct embedded deep within the hearts of men and women alike. And for that, he couldn't say he blamed them when all they wanted was to live. At that thought Jonas took another bite of the dried meat, chewing hard with his back teeth.

"I...Fell into a sort of slumber."  He continued with his story. "And when I awoke my companions were nothing but bone, and dust. Hundreds of years... And I don't know why."

Ycharley

Something about his words snapped Scarlett into a sort of trance. His words reminding her of her own feelings and the written words of her maker. She looked at the fire at first, but it was soon clear that she was looking through the flames into some far off place.

"Maybe he saw something in you, something rare in the human race... Something so rare that it caught his attention demanded of him to preserve it even when he shouldn't have. A strength so powerful it could defeat death. A strength you yourself probably didn't know you had, a strength that can only be spotted an immortal."

Looshi

Jonas nearly choked on the dry meat as he tried to stifle a laugh. The stifling didn't go as planned. It was rude of him, he knew. But what she suggested was not only blasphemous, but absolutely ridiculous.

"Ahem." He cleared his throat when he could speak again. "Maybe my blood truly went to your head." He said, not even sure if his own words were a joke. "I don't think it was Sala'ful that placed my...Condition on me. I...I didn't want to go back to find out. There's a chance that we may become trapped. The doors are...Magically inclined."

Ycharley

Scarlett looked at him and blinked a few times. "If not Sala'ful, who?" She asked, her voice laced with dark humor. Was this man that naive. She shook her head and took a deep breath. She closed her eyes, which only worked to intensify her other senses.

"Vampires can be killed by the way. Nothing is truly immortal, death had left nothing untouched. The secret is having the strength to kill something. Humans don't have the strength, skill, or speed to kill a vampire, so knowing how to kill us would do them no good. A human killing a vampire would be like a baby deer killing a wolf. We are their predators, it is that simple."

Looshi

'If not Sala'ful, then who?'

He frowned at her tone, chewing hard on the dried meat he had in his mouth. Chewing with all the chewing power he could muster. It was better than biting his own tongue. She doesn't understand the religion, he reminded himself. She doesn't understand.

Jonas' eyes widened as she continued, staring at her blankly. "It's... Nice to know I'm a baby deer."  Despite her words, and her obvious admittance that she could kill him with a fake breath, he was not afraid. Was it trust for this stranger? Or did he not care if he died?

"If you don't mind me asking...I told my story, do you want to share yours? I've been told I'm a good listener." He said, sheepishly smiling.

Ycharley

Scarlett looked down with a sigh, it was clear her story brought back painful memories. "Well do you want the brief overview or the more in detailed story?" She asked looking down at the fire. She hoped that he would go for the first one.

The less detail she had to go into the better, actually the faster they got off the topic the better. She sat back with a sigh waiting for his answer, looking at his facial features carefully.

Looshi

Jonas' stomach churned at her sigh, knowing now that he overstepped the bounds of friendliness. He was being too nosey. Vampires. He had no right to mingle with those of undeath. Yet here he was trying to get her life story out of her as if he was her buddy. She only wanted him for one thing. Taking her to the tomb.

"Nevermind." He said, waving a hand in dismissal. "You don't have to tell me. It's not my place."

He was finished with the dried meat, and took to rummaging through his rucksack for the worn blanket he had stored away. He should have invested in a proper bedroll, but whatever small money sense he had told him to spend the least amount to stretch it longer. He would have just enough comfort to survive the night. He wouldn't know what to do if the weather turned. Jonas spread the blanket out near the fire, and laid on top of it.

Ycharley

Scarlett shrugged, she was honestly relieved. She hated reliving her past, it brought back too many painful emotions. Of course, they were both going somewhere where they both could die, so it would have been nice to get to know someone just in case. To tell one soul just in case she never made it out.

"Well, good night," She spoke softly, leaning against a tree. She knew she wasn't going to sleep. Vampires never really slept. They could rest and relax, but couldn't sleep. She leaned her head back and shut her eyes, her thick cloak easily keeping her warm.

Looshi

Sleep came to him in restless bouts. Jonas felt every rock, every point of grass and leaf under his worn blanket. They were digging into him tirelessly through out the night, and when he did fall into the dreaming world, it was hardly a comfort. Steel ringing against steel, the shouts of angry and dying men on a battle field alien to him. He himself was injured, and he pressed his hand hard against the wound to his middle, but nothing would stop the blood. Jonas heard his own voice calling for help, but nothing but the dead surrounded him. And one by one, they began to rise.

He awoke tossing and turning, with his body sore from the hardy ground. Morning light was slipping through the tree lines, and dew lay leaden on his clothing. His throat was dry, and his eyes sticky. It took him a few moments to gather his bearings; to remember where he was. And who he was with. That vampire. Jonas spotted her, and gave a small groggy wave.

"Morin'" He said, his tongue feeling thick. "Did you sleep any?" He sat up, stretching his arms above his head until he heard an audible crack.

Ycharley

Scarlett looked up at him from behind her thick cloak. She didn't look as chipper as she did the morning before, but of course, she didn't wake up to the sun the morning before either.

"No, vampires don't really sleep in the sense that humans think of. I did manage to rest a little though not as much as I would have liked. This forest is rather... Alive at night," She said with a stretch before she stood.

Her senses had been going wild throughout the night as other creatures of the night roamed about. She wouldn't get into it with Jonas though, she didn't want to scare him or anything.

Looshi

Jonas ran a hand through his white hair, feeling the moisture separate and stick to his palm and fingers. A chill was with him, goosebumps were raising on his skin as the vampire spoke. He found it eerie to speak to the dead, and have them speak back. He doubted he would get used to it. 

"Alive at night?" He echoed back, his groggy gaze upon her. He looked a mess, with his hair tangled and his clothing dishevelled, as if he had tumbled down a hill while he slept. When he awoke in the night, he had feared that eyes had been on his form twisting and turning in restlessness. Eyes of wolves, eyes of rodents, eyes of anything that had them. Including the woman's. Jonas touched at the cuff of his sleeve where the remnants of his blood stained it. The memories from the night were foggy, but he remembered the way her teeth sunk into his wrist and how it was to have his blood, his life, drained from him. Yet, the wounds were gone, as if it had never happened. No scars. Nothing.

"At least you were able to find some rest, no matter how little." He said cheerfully, and began to roll up the blanket he had tossed on the forest ground. His knees hit hard cold rock, and ached long before he was finished. It was like he was some old man. In a sense, he was. Jonas had lived far longer that what he should have. He was a blasphemy walking. And it was that sour thought that he stuffed the blanket back into his rucksack with. Jonas' joints cracked as he stood, and he once more stretched his arms above his head.

"We have a long day a head of us." He said, "Will you fair? Cloud cover aided you yesterday, but it looks today like there's a break of blue sky. I'm half expecting you to burst in to flames, honestly."

Ycharley

Scarlett laughed a full bellied laugh, seemingly finding his words hilarious. It took her a second to get a hold of herself before she finally could speak without cracking up.

"I will not burst into flames, that is just an old wives tale made up to make humans feel safer during the day. Honestly the sun does hurt, when it touches my skin it give the sensation of a really bad sunburn but no marks appear. That is why vampires in general avoid the day. I have this thick cloak though, so I will be perfectly okay," She spoke seeming to perk up a bit.

Looshi

Her burst of laughter gained a glower from Jonas; his eyebrows knitting together, a small crease between them and an unfaltering stare. He had asked a serious question, and one that showed he had a lick of compassion about his person, and she was laughing at it. Perhaps it was a slight he could have gone without thinking about, but here he was, with his anger coiling around his heart.

"Thank the gods for that then." He said brusquely, irritation in his voice. It wasn't her intention, and yet...

Ycharley

Scarlett saw the look of irritation and reached out slowly, placing her hand on his shoulder. Her touch was gentle. Extremely gentle knowing she had the strength to tear a human apart with her bare hands. It was like a butterfly's wing grazing against someones skin.

"I didn't mean to offend you. It is just after being asked that question it well, it holds a sort of humor."

Looshi

Jonas simpered down, and his face flushed an embarrassing red at her touch to his shoulder. He bit at the inside of his cheek and averted his gaze. He was a fool. A quick to jump fool. And he felt useless that he couldn't help it. Or was that simply his reasoning instead of trying to exert more self-control? A way to flounce his responsibility?

"I...Forgive me." He said. "I suppose it would be funny from your point of view, really." He looked to her then, and a small smile danced on his lips briefly. A forced smile, trying to will away any ill thoughts he may have held of her. She was showing more kindness than he deserved.

"Anger comes with the magic." He explained, grabbing his rucksack and slinging it over his shoulder, the familiar weight was comforting. "For reasons I don't know. It might just be the way the human mind copes with something alien. Like...In tales of vampires in frenzy."

Ycharley

Scarlett nodded with an understanding smile as she pulled her hand away. She took a deep breath and remembered when she was first turned.

"I can probably understand better than most. Most humans go into a frenzy as soon as they wake. I didn't. I fought the hunger, something that is still to this day indescribable. The hungrier I became, the angrier I got, the angrier I got, the hungrier I became. Each one fed off the other. It took me a while to realize it, took me longer to get control over it. I would still be considered a fledgling to most vampires because I haven't gone through my waking frenzy yet," She spoke softly as she took a step towards the shadows. Even with the cloak she could feel the sun.

Looshi

"Really..." His eyes went wide and white at her words, and he swallowed hard against a lump forming in his throat. Was it truly a good idea to take her up on her request? Or let her taste his blood for that matter? Both answers were beginning to sound like 'no'.

"I can see how it can be a curse." He said, stomping out the few tiny embers of the fire that died withing the night. Jonas didn't have to feed, or stay out of the sun. He still had a heartbeat, a pulse, the need to breathe. He was still living, and he couldn't comprehend what it would be like to live in dead skin.

"We'll keep to the forest." He said. "There's a trail not far from here." He continued, noting how the vampire drew closer to the shadows. The light streaming from the treetops above him was a comfort to the chill that kept with him.