Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Coming out of the Closet

Started by visualspice, January 10, 2013, 11:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Laighean stumbled backwards through the portal with arms pinwheeling comically at his sides. He tripped over his boots and fell right onto his back.Draven came through not far behind him. Well, Laighean thought, at least the three of us are still together.

"Ach! Well, ah wasn't quite expectin' that!" He sat up and gave his little sister a curious look when she made the comment about counting. Were he unfamiliar to her, or perhaps anyone else other than himself, he would have needed a few moments to understand what she was saying.

Laighean grinned, "Ah'm sorry , Fi. Ah joost - ye know me, ah cannae sit still fer that long!" He made a pouting face at her and then rose to his feet and looked over his shoulder at Draven, "Ah dannae think 'e has an excuse."

Laighean moved past them and took in their surroundings. Dull, ashen landscape, dead trees, light-devoid sky, ruined castle. "Ah. Well, we're 'ome. Ah s'ppose we ought t' go see mother an' see 'ow she's been gettin' on without us. " Of course, even as he said this he doubted their mother had noticed. She seemed even more gone than Fi. Poor mother. 

visualspice

Draven stared hollowedly at his sister, his smile forced at her words when he replied, "Yeah, it seems the game is over. Sorry, Fi," and he lightly drew a finger down her nose before tapping her lightly on the tip of it. Then he turned to Laighean with a nod. They both knew mother was a lost cause. She might as well have been a statue, the poor thing couldn't even sit.
ANd she no longer wore her shoes..
He'd fear her freezing to death if he didn't already know they couldn't die that easily...

Instead, they were set to the working of fate-
and to fade along with the colors of their world.

"Come along. We shan't keep her waiting," and he moved forward in silence, following a tall, crumbling wall with gnarled, dead vines twisted all over it. They were thorny and black, and like every other day, some debris of fading color- of fading light would fall from the eternally clouded skies above as the siblings walked towards the castle gate-

Where no one would come to greet them. No one would smile that they are home.

By now, most servants were gone; and it had been strange to see it- to watch people simply.. fade away. It was like their forms in that other world, and Draven grew pensive as he recalled it. The servants had turned into 'ghosts' and only a few months later (or was it a year? It was hard to say...)

They were gone.

But his thoughts were broken as he pushed open the heavy front doors with the assistance of his brother, and inside they walked, along carpets plush, but without color, and walls- that were once flecked with beautiful sparkling light from painted glass, now fluttered in muted colors the resembled the dying leaves of fall.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Fi's disappointment vanished instantly with her brothers' attention, and she bounded happily to her feet to follow in her brothers' wake...

...And occasionally jump ahead of them and to leave them in hers.  She moved about with more energy, it seemed, than anyone else in this land had left, and she would occasionally return to the pair with a wide smile and a rambling, wild tale or statement that made, if they were fortunate, only the smallest amount of sense.  As always, though, she seemed satisfied with their pats on the head and put-upon smiles, and then she was foraging ahead or behind again.

It seemed strange, therefore, that she should wait beside them so patiently to open the doors and to follow them in silence as they entered, pausing just over the threshold to stare at the cool, colorless place with a look of apprehensive fear.

She said nothing for a long while, allowing her brothers to walk inside without her as she stood there alone.  They were almost to the stairs before she said, "There's somethin' different."  Her voice sounded too loud in the silent halls, and she flinched as she lifted a hand to cover her mouth.  She whispered from between her splayed fingers.  "There's somethin' wrong."

visualspice

Draven, who was hardly paying attention to his sister by this time, actually paused to turn his head to look at her.
"Fiona?" he said, furrowing his brow. "What's wrong?" And then when he looked past her towards the stairs..
THeir mother was standing there.

Before this day she never moved from where she stood in the throne room. She might as well have collected cobwebs all this time she had been there, or had turn into stone for as much as she had done since her last words were spoken, she remained as a poised figure. Now, her skin was pale white as a ghosts, her dress, fairing the same, and she looked haunting. Even her shoeless feet were exposed beneath the lace of her dress as her grey-blue eyes looked towards her children.

It was odd to see her like this and Draven felt his blood chill at the sight. She looked... frightful almost, afraid...
and her lips were partially open, almost as if she wanted to speak.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

If Laighean felt an ounce of concern, his manner didn't show it. He walked right up to their mother as if it were any other day and greeted her cheerfully, "Hello, mom! How are ye today? Ye look very..." He noted how much more ashen her countenance had become. Her complexion nearly matched the atmosphere , but Laighean tried not to think about what that could mean because it pained him to. "Very bright today, aye? "He was afraid to put a hand on her shoulder, fearing to know whether his hand would pass right through her.

Eireen Flannchadh stared ahead unblinkingly, right through him as if she hadn't even noticed him at all. Laighean chose to pretend that she had responded in her usual manner. He could still picture it in his head and that was better than facing reality, "Ye will never believe what we found, mother. Draven, you tell her." Elder brothers were better at such things! Explanations for sibling antics was his job! 

"I know. " She said. Her tone soft but unmistakably her own. Now , she looked at her children as though she might actually be able to see them all clearly for the first time.

Laighean jumped back, "M-mom? Y-you TALK!"

The phantom queen nodded slightly , "I feel as though I've woken from a long dream or perhaps I am still sleeping? " She adopted a puzzled expression for a moment but then shook her head. She honestly could not say, " The Guardian woke me. She wishes to speak with you. She speaks to you now."

((If anyone had plans, I'm sorry. I uh...have an idea but let me know if I need to change anything. Pausing here for reactions. I AM going somewhere with this, but if you'd like to add something here....let me know in messenger or something.))

Ivory

Fi looked less than overjoyed to their mother granted new life.  She whimpered softly, the sound muted by the hand still over her mouth, and then she stepped backwards.  There seemed to be too little space in the room, and certainly not enough space between them.

The back of her head and her bottom collided with the doors behind her with a soft thud that, too, seemed too loud.  She didn't seem to notice; instead, she sank down onto her knees to stare at their mother with impossibly wide eyes...but no more sound left her lips, still hidden beneath her hand as firmly as though it were glued there.

(OOC: I DON'T KNOW!)

Paradox

((This is actually going somewhere but it's a surprise so I can't tell either of you everything. It shouldn't affect anything we've planned previously but should, in fact, help to support it IF things go well lol ))

Laighean appeared to be flabbergasted , "Woke you?"

The Queen adopted a pensive expression that was both familiar and not to Laighean. Something was a bit off and it made him question if this person who spoke to them now was still the mother he knew or if she had been so consumed with insanity that she had been reborn into something different.

"Mother,what do ye mean? Ye speak as though ye aren't who ye appear to be ,which would be...kind of scary and creepy. "

Queen Flannchadh frowned, "Apologies.I am...disoriented. I've never tried this before , but given the circumstances I had no other way of communicating with you. "

Laighean stared now. Yep. Mother was mad! "Tried what, exactly?"

"I have possessed this mortal shell temporarily. I share it with the Aeronan Queen."

Laighean jumped back, adopting a horrified expression, "Oh my GOD. Ye stole her body !? "

"No, possessed. Oh dear...that does sound a bit terrible , I suppose."

" Joost a bit!?"

"Calm down, she's fine. I cannot possess a human unless they allow it. Your mother prayed and asked for my help and so I have come to answer her plea."

"So ye...ye're uh- who are ye?"

A sigh came from the Queen, " I am the Guardian of Aerona. Mother of all, queen of nature. "

Laighean's mouth hung open. He shook his head, "Right, and I'm the King 'o the fairies. " He paused for a moment and wrinkled his nose, "Wait...that dinnae sound quite right."

The Guardian sighed and shook her head, "For centuries, I have contained Aerona to the best of my ability with my life force. I was trying to save you ,but this darkness that seeks to consume your kingdom and all of the people in it is weakening me. I cannot hold it back much longer, and I'm afraid that I need your help. "

visualspice

Where Laighean was surprised, Draven was down right mad. How dare their guardian show up now and use their mother like a puppet!
"Laighean! Be careful! Something isn't right! Look at her eyes..." For they were a color not her own.. and a color at all!

"If you are who you say you are, and my mother prayed for you, where were you when we all prayed?" Draven asked angrily, taking a defiant step towards the woman who approached them, claiming to be their God. "And now you come to us seeking help? Look around us! Was it not your magics that condemned us here? To a life of us turning to cold greys, the color of ash."

He stared at her bitterly, hands gripping into fists.
"We are nothing but prisoners and ghosts here, My Queen.." he said bowing to the beast inside that imprisoned his mother. Then his dark eyes met to hers. "But I will still my tongue long enough for you to explain. How do you expect us to help? You must realize we have so many questions left unanswered..."

And why did she dare come to them now of all times to ask such a request!?

Paradox

Laighean laughed nervously , "Forgive him, my lady. He's joost a wee bit cranky. He hasn't 'ad a nice nap or the company of a bonnie lass in a couple o'centuries." He then shot his brother a warning glance.

Really ? Was Draven trying to piss off a Goddess now? If he was in such a rush to die, why wait a couple centuries!? 

The Guardian stared at Draven with a serene expression. "Do as you will, though you need not still your tongue. What you ask is a fair question with a complicated answer."  The Queen's expression twisted with apparent remorse as she looked around at the dying realm, " I am nature. I am incapable of magic that defies what I am. What ravishes your home now is a perversion of my magics, magics I entrusted your people with centuries ago. Are you familiar with the legend of Morfran and the Shadow King?"

visualspice

Draven kept a stern expression as he stared at the 'Goddess' speaking through his mom. It was almost too much to bear as Draven spat back.
"All of the realm is familiar with that story, though please, enlighten us on what you know."

Paradox

"Well, ah don't, " Laighean admitted sheepishly and when everyone looked at him he blushed and shrugged, "So ah may 'ave fallen asleep during a couple o' mother's history lessons. Ah cannae 'elp it! There weren't no bonnie lasses!"

The Queen cleared her throat, "Anyway, time is of the essence so I will skip to the most important part. As you know, when Morfran died he was buried in the Tomb of Heroes and he was buried with the artifact that he used to defeat the Shadow King.That tomb was sealed and a warning was given to your people to not disturb that Tomb or ever take anything from it, especially not the artifact.  " She now looked directly at Draven , " And in spite of my warnings as well as those of your father, you didn't listen, did you Draven? You possess that artifact right now."

Laighean suddenly turned on his brother and gaped, "Draven? What is she talking about?"

((Remember that Fi and Laighean didn't know about Draven claiming the artifact and acquiring the forbidden magic/dark power. Although , since Draven doesn't seem to have had any magic to begin with I'm sure Laighean at least wondered where it came from.  ))

visualspice

Draven kept his dark eyes sternly planted upon their Goddess. She'd be able to see all of the electrifying thoughts within his eyes. The anger, the shame, the desperation all rolled into one.

"It was claim the artifact," he growled softly. "Or let them all die."

Paradox

"You wish to survive, but examine the cost. Was it worth it?  You are dying anyway and so am I. Everything here is,  " Time was running out and so she got to the point , " It was my mistake to allow humans to oppose the laws of nature, I shall own that. You hold a fraction of my soul in your hands that Morfran corrupted. I don't have time to give you an honest history lesson ,but all that you think that you know about Morfran and the Shadow King is wrong. It was not the Shadow King that he banished from this realm with the power that I gave him it was-" She felt herself losing her connection with the queen. A pained expression crossed her features,  " I'm out of time. Listen to me, you must find the other four artifacts and bring them home quickly. I cannot hold up the barrier much longer. It's already starting to break ,but if it shatters , then all is lost. Aerona will not be the only casualty.  " 

Laighean wasn't sure what to make out of it all. " Tha's great an' all but where are these artifacts?"

"I ...know not. "

"Some 'elp that is."

"Two clans of your kinsman were given the artifacts after Morfran was murdered. "

"Murdered!? The legends don't say-"

"They left Aerona long before the land was twisted by the dark magic and may be found somewhere in the land that is now called Connlaoth. One of those clans bears a descendant whom you've already met, a fair young lady that Laighean fancies more than he is willing to admit."

Laighean knew exactly who the Guardian was talking about and blushed lightly.
The Guardian nodded and took a seat on the crumbled stairs, "Start your search there. Time is up for us , I fear.  I- no, we wish you luck," and , just like that the Queen and the Guardian began to fade, her image becoming nearly transparent.

"Mother!?" Laighean ran forward and reached out for her shoulder ,but just as his hand drew near it passed right through her .

"Never lose hope," her voice was different ,more familiar and she smiled sadly and her gaze shifted one last time warmly to her two remaining children," I love you all." And then, just like that, she was gone.

"...no, no..." Laighean dropped to his knees and cried.

((Yes, it was meant to be cryptic but push the kids in a direction. More shall be revealed with time.))

visualspice

The words from the guardian, and the disappearance of their mother left Draven numbed. If it were possible for him to take in all the cold of the winter chill into his person, he was experiencing that now. His eyes remained to where their mother once was, staring past even his brother as he sobbed. And in that moment, his glossy eyes hardened and he knew what he had to do. He had to collect all four artifacts and save his family. No matter the costs.

Though now they had a vital clue- and that Aella girl...
Yes.. He'd have to start with her for some answers, first.

"It seems we have little choice now but to look into the remains of the library for some clues and... wait." He frowned, setting his jaw. "It seems when all we had before was time, now even that will soon be taken from us." And he turned to observe Fiona a moment, wondering how their sister faired in all of this.

Ivory

(OOC: That must be my cue!  *superhero cape flaps in the wind!*)

Fiona had not moved during the entire conversation from where she sat, huddled against the doorway with her face turned away from their Mother/the Guardian in fear.  To her, it had not been the image of their mother standing there but something far more terrible and primal, the visage of a god so old that even those gods worshiped by modern man had forgotten her...

Even once Mother and Guardian alike had faded, Fiona continued to cower with her head hidden beneath her arms in a protective gesture, and it was not until silence had fallen for quite a few moments that she dared risk a peek.

But all she saw now were her brothers, and, for a moment, her mind struggled to remember what it was she had been hiding from in the first place...but even if Fiona's mind had not already been shattered, the truth of what she had seen was too much for a mind to grasp for long.  Perhaps, the broken pieces of Fiona's mind was what saved her, for it was already accustomed to discarding unwanted information...

The sight of a God...  Their mother fading...  Her brother taking the cursed artifact...  All of it vanished as she met her brother's gaze...  But it stayed in her mind somewhere, lurking in the darkness along with all the other facts that seemed to come and go from Fiona's consciousness.

Her face, tense and frightened, softened as she looked at her brothers, and she smoothly rose back to her full height.  "D'ye 'ear it?  Music..."  She laughed out loud, then, dashing past them both and up the stairs with her usual air of excitement.  "We're going to be late to the Festival.  I'll go get Mother!"  And, above them, her youthful voice called, "Mother!  Mother, 'urry!  The pipers are already 'ere!"

visualspice

Draven hadn't expected his sister to react in such a way, and with the way she had been acting as of the past few years, he was still unaccustomed to it. And once Fiona had taken off, he found himself releasing a snarled gasp as he turned to her.
"Fiona! Fiona wait!"
And he hesitated not in pursuing her. Up the long hall he went, and quickly his boots were hammering into the wide stone steps, carrying him heavily down the faded carpet to the room at the end of the second floor hall with a view. It was in the door way he stopped his pursuit of his sister and panted, bracing himself against the frame as he looked inside and saw it for himself- that only faint imitation rays of sunlight poured in through the window and danced lightly over the vacant place their mother used to stand.

Paradox

Forcing himself to composure, Laighean cast one last bitter look over his shoulder towards Draven chasing after their sister before he turned away fully and walked away. He left the castle, exited the grounds and wandered off into the ashen woods, staring up forlornly at the gray sky and leafless trees as he moved, swiftly and with purpose. His mind was on his mother's - no, the Guardian's words. Draven held a cursed artifact all this time and had never told anyone? It wasn't the fact that Draven had it or used it that pissed Laighean off. And thinking about this quickened his steps.

He remembered his way here though it had been years since he'd traveled down this path and while everything appeared different, he just knew where to go because he'd been this way so many times in his youth on a dare from one of his other siblings whose names were sadly lost to him now. A faded memory.

He came to a clearing where the lone statue of the Guardian sat ever guarding the above ground tomb that had been erected centuries before for the Hero, Morfran. Laighean remembered stories his mother had told him when he'd been little more than a wee babe sitting upon her knee and he'd always heeded her warnings, "'Ye best not disturb the dead, Laighean. Spirits are a nasty sort when they're awakened before their time."

There had also been the far less cryptic orders from his father, "Ye boys e'er go in there an' I'll skin alive, the lot o' ye. Morfran's tomb is sacred ground. Never, under any circumstances, go in there or ye'll anger than ancestors but mostly me. And it's angering me that ye should be concerned about! "

The Flannachadh children had all agreed, but had they known that there had been a cursed artifact in there....

Deep down, Laighean was certain that his brother would never have stolen from the dead if he'd truly known that this would happen. At least, this is what he wanted to believe in.

He took a deep breath and approached the tomb. It was dark, ancient and ominous looking. It certainly looked like it could be haunted what with mold on the stone walls and cobwebs and dust covering every surface. Laighean chuckled as he poked his head through the darkened entry and peered into the gloom , "Oh c'mon, Laighean. Yer a ghost yerself. Kinda silly t' be afraid of other spirits." Taking another deep breath, he found the courage to move inside and become lost in darkness....

(( So Laighean is disappearing for a bit. You're welcome to go look for him or play out a scenario at the castle. Maybe look for clues in the library or something. Either way, I will be posting about Laighean's explorations and the results will be about the same.  ))

Ivory

"Ye can't be in 'ere!" Fiona admonished good-naturedly as she scooped up a hair brush from the vanity.  "Girls only, Draven!  Unless ye want t'wear a dress and make-up fer the festival!"

If she was concerned with the disappearance of their mother, she certainly didn't show it as she danced about the room, collecting ornaments and make-up as giddy as a small child preparing for her first dance.

"I've go' a necklace 'ere that would suit ye."  She grinned from ear to ear as the item dangled from her hand.

visualspice

Draven blinked and turned towards his sister as she danced about the room, merry and gay as if nothing, not even time had affected her. Their mothers disappearance felt like a hole in his breast, and as he closed his lips into a forlorned expression, he felt numbed to Fiona's words. Festival? Land sakes... it had been ages since any sort of activity ever graced the castle.

"Fiona.." his words came out in a soft growl, hoping that the tone would work it's way into her feeble brain to ward her off. But he could not help himself his his body tensed and his hands shifted into fists. Their mother was gone. She had finally faded; and all his sister could do was dance around!

Ivory

The tone, indeed, cut through her smiles and jests.  Her smile faded slightly as she looked at him, an expression of hurt confusion on her features.

"What?" she asked, dropping the pendant back where she had found it much more carelessly than she had picked it up.  She stared at him, as if trying to determine why he had taken such a sharp tone with her.  She had only been kidding about the dress...

"Aren't ye comin' ta the festival?" she ventured tentatively.  Although why that would upset him so was beyond her...