Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

On the Curb

Started by Anonymous, July 13, 2005, 09:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Eldalia stood on curb watching carts, horses, and people pass her. She stood out with her long, ground dragging, olive green, cloak over her pearly white blouse and matching, long, skirt. Her curly, bleach-blonde, locks drooped and framed her tan face. Her pointed ears stuck out through her hair. Emerald green eyes with sunlight golden wisps in the darted down the dirt path that was the street.

The maiden leaned against the outer wall of an inn. (outer in(n) HAHA!!) Her hands held a loaf of bread that she was chomping on up to her mouth. Yawning, she stretched her arms out wide and puffed out her chest in a stretch. The bread was in her right hand until someone flew past her in a hurry and snatched it right out of her fingers. She fell with her cloak in a flurry as they knocked her down so she could not catch them-whoever they were.

She could feel everyone's glares watching her as she lifted herself off the ground and sweeped the dirt off her long white skirt. She chuckled nervously as she stared into the eyes of the crowds around her. Turning, she slipped into the less crowded inn.

Anonymous

The inn was quiet, and very not-crowded. As a matter of fact, the only people in the wide welcoming room were the middle-aged couple at the counter who ran the homey inn, and one other who seemed to have just woken up.
He gave a mighty yawn and a stretch, arms up over his head as his back arched a bit, before he tiredly rubbed his eyes with one hand as his other scratched the back of his head.

Kanto just wasn't a morning person. Which would explain why he was just now waking up, in the middle of the afternoon.
He had just come down the stairs that led to the rooms on the second floor, and the couple gave him a curteous bow, followed by a "Good morning sir."
Kanto gave them his characteristic grin, though the edges were a bit lagging with sleep.

Kanto's appearance almost forced one to at least cast a glance his way. He was a fairly tall individual, nearly six feet, and well built, with plenty of muscle mass. However, he was not bulky, for no matter how much he trained and fought (which he did alot of), his genetics simply would not let him get too beefy. He was thankful for that.
His hair was a stark white, but not from age. As a matter of fact, he looked quite young, somewhere in his twenties. His hair had always been white, and while the front was cut somewhat short, near ear length, the back was longer and held in a ponytail at the nape of his neck. His skin was quite fair, though it's coloring was lightly tanned, and perhaps an explination would be the slightly pointed ears he bore. Obviously, he was not all human.
But perhaps it was his clothing and weapons that caused one to stare the most. He wore black jeans that tucked into the tops of his heavy black boots. His shirt was tight and blood red, though it was partially covered by the black jacket he wore. At the moment he wore no gloves, but sometimes he did, when wielding the massive weapon at his back.
It was a huge sword, quite over six feet, and probably about a foot wide. Both sides were sharpened to a deadly point, and because of it's length, it sat askew on his back, so as not to drag on the floor.

Always the friendly one, the blue-eyed man gave a polite little wave to the woman as she rushed in before he plopped down on one of the rustic couches, long legs crossing at the ankle as he stretched out. Somehow, in that few seconds before he sat, he had whiped that huge sword off his back and rested it against the couch right beside him.
He might come off as lazy right about now...

Anonymous

Eldalia waved shortly and leaned against the wall. She swiped her hair out of her face and put her head back. Only then did she notice the man's large weapon. Standing straight again, her eyes darted to it. "Well, that's quite a weapon you have there." She nodded at the large blade even though that was obviously what she was talking about.

She stepped closer to it but still kept her distance. "How in the world did you get your hands on that?" She was interested in it as she never needed to use weapons, but instead magic.

Her bright green eyes glanced at his blues, only then really looking at him. He had the same pointed ears as her, she noticed, and their hair was close in color but his whiter, and she was tan unlike he.

"I'm Eldalia." She introduced as she thrusted a hand at him. She eyed the sword nervously as she did not want to cut her arm or hand.

Anonymous

Kanto had let his blue eyes drift shut before she spoke to him. He couldn't say he had been expecting her to start up a conversation with him (at total stranger), but was glad for some relief to the bordom that was sure to haunt his day.
He didn't have any jobs to complete today, thus his lazy attitude.

Sitting up, he grinned and glanced down at his weapon. He gave it a pat and chuckled. "Thanks. It's a beast, let me tell you." He responded, hefting the large weapon up with surprising ease before he set it back down. The thing really was heavy, though genetics and lean muscle mass, along with ALOT of training, had helped him to master the blade.
His grin was still in place, a look all it's own and unique to him. It was cool and calm, yet showed quite clearly he had a goofy side to him. He liked to have fun, what could he say? It reflected in his personality.
He noticed her apparent timidness toward the weapon, but didn't think too hard on it. Most people were either awed or frightened of his blade. It seemed natural, after seeing so much of those reactions.
"Where'd I get it? Hmm...good question..." He placed a hand to his chin and thought about it, brow furrowing over those playful blue eyes. Wow...it had been awhile. "I think...my father left it to me...? Wow, I don't really remember. It's just always been around, and when I was big enough to carry it, it was always with me." He shrugged then, a simple roll of his relaxed shoulders. One could see the muscles shift under his shirt, simply because the fabric was so tight and smooth. But with his arms crossed over his chest, it was not so noticable.
He wasn't trying to show off, as many other men did.

Kanto blinked at her hand, suddnely thrust toward him. But the grin was back quickly enough, and he sat up a bit to better grasp her hand. He gave it a firm, but gentle, shake and then released her. "Pleasure to meet you Bdalia. I'm Kanto. Uh, would you like to sit down? I can move this behemoth for you." He offered, sliding the sword off it's resting place on the couch and instead setting it down against the arm of the couch, the heavy tip digging slightly into the wood flooring. He then patted the cushions beside him, grinning to let her in on his humor. He was just being friendly, as usual.

Anonymous

Eldalia watched him as he talked, nodding every now and then to make her seem interested. She was always like that, outgoing, curious, and wanting to make sure she didn't come off cheeky. The large blade looked very interesting with its size and what he told of it.

"Nice to meet you," she said with a toothy grin as he introduced himself.

She sat down beside him on the inn's couch. "So, how long have you been in Adela?" Eldalia turned to him and stared into his blue eyes. "Have you lived here for all of your life or for part of your life or like me are you a traveler?" She added to her first question.

"Do you have any family, like, alive or that you're close to?" Soon, she relized she had been talking to much and looked at her feet. "Sorry."
[/color]

Anonymous

Kanto moved his legs out of the way as she came to sit, quickly stretching them back out again once she had. Comfy once again, he had a moment to be bombarded with questions. The first one would have been easy enough to answer, but just as he was about to, she added on to it.
Ok, no prob. To begin...

And then she kept going. Kanto blinked a bit wide-eyed at her, but upon her apparent embarassment with her rapid-fire questions, he only laughed and shook his head. "No, no, it's alright, you're fine. I'm just not used to someone so willing to get into a conversation with me. Usually I'm the most friendly and talkative person I know! It's actually a bit of a refreshing change."
He grinned pleasantly at her, then sorted out his answers before speaking again.

"Well, to begin, I'm also a traveler, so I come and go alot. Though I think I've been in Adela on and off the most." He shrugged. "I go where the jobs take me, I suppose."
He cracked his neck lightly and went on to the next batch. "I haven't been in contact with my family since I was...oooh...about...three. My real family anyway. I was sort of adopted by some nice folks, but I left on my own at age twelvish. I've never really been able to check up on, or even bump into, either of my families since then. So I guess no, I'm not close to them, and I don't know who is alive and who isn't."
He grinned, having no problem at all divulging most events of his past to even a complete stranger. "Got any more for me? I'm ready and willing to asnwer 'em!"
He chuckled. "Unless of course you don't mind talking to a complete stranger about yourself, because if that's the case, I'm also all ears."

Anonymous

Eldalia looked back up to him and smiled. She listened as he answered her questions.

She thought of her past and of her family as he spoke. When he was done, she decided that since he was willing enough to tell her about himself, she would tell him about her, "Well when I was... about... I don't know, like 14, I left my parents and set out on my own. I went a few places before I came to Adela. Serendipity, the mountains, Connaloth..." She thought for a moment but couldn't remember anywhere else and she shrugged. "I guess that's when I came here."

"I don't know what else to talk about now," she said sighing. "Do you have any questions for me?" Eldalia asked.

Anonymous

Kanto listened, nodding, having been to the mountains once before, and thinking he might have popped into Serendipity once before too. His grin twitched a bit wider as she asked if he had any questions for her.
"Oh, I could think of a few." He responded, coming up with a few silently before laying them on her.

"Ok, I guess this is a question you get alot. Are you elvish? I mean, you look like an elf, a very pretty one by the way, but I can never be sure. I've seen alot of bizarre stuff." He shrugged, flicking his own mildly pointed ear. It was nowhere near as pointy as hers, and actually, the attribute was almost unnoticable unless one knew what to look for.
"Next. What is it that you do? I'm sort of a mercinary-type." He took a deep breath, and looked as though he was concentrating rather hard on her. "You feel like....magick. Heh heh, am I close?" That comfortable, friendly grin was pretty much on his features the entire time. He supposed that his grin was actually his neutral face, for he hardly ever sported a blank look.

He pondered a few moments more, thinking of anything else he might be able to ask her.
A fairly random one popped up then.
"Do you like music?"

Anonymous

As he answered her, she waited silently as he thought of questions for her. The room was quiet except for the couple that were running the inn. They were mumbling quietly.

Eldalia nodded and blushed when she heard what was next. "Yes. I am, but I'm not that pretty." She said modestly, her face turning a faint view of pink. Her shoulders shrugged as stretched and looked at the counter. The couple had stopped mumbling for the woman went to work on something upstairs.

The next question was stranger to her. She had never been asked what she did. Eldalia shrugged, "I don't really do much. Sometimes I sell baked goods that I make but it's not much." She added on, "Nothing like a mercinary." She shrugged off the question and started on the next one.

"Yes, I can do magic, but I don't really use it unless I have to." Eldalia nodded and waited for his next question. When it came, she was suprised. She never really thought about music. "I don't really listen to music much. Do you?"

DoubleOC (ooc):I just noticed you're from AZ. I'm here for vacation :D
[/size]

Anonymous

Kanto shrugged off her words about being pretty. One always is harsher on themselves than others are. He thought she was pretty and had said so. He was content to leave it at that.
And score! She could indeed do magick.
He was getting good at reading people like that. But then, if you knew what to look for, you could almost certaintly tell when someone could use magick or not. She sold baked goods? Mmm, sounded tasty!
"You'll have to make something for me sometime. I love food." He chuckled at the last bit of his sentence. At least he never got fat off all the food he ate.

Kanto's grin almost flickered into a smirk. "Like music? I play music my friend. The flute, to be exact." And he whipped it out of some inner pocket of his jacket. It was an odd flute to be sure. It was was made from some honey-colored wood, and forked off into two ends. Leafy vine patterns had been carved into it. "This poor thing goes everywhere whith me. One of these days it's going to save my life when someone tries to stab me." But he gave her a good-natured wink to let her know he was only joking. Besides, he didn't plan on getting stabbed anytime soon.

(Wow, cool. ^_^  Where at?)

Anonymous

Eldalia giggled when he said he loved food. So did she but that wasn't a similarity that was called being normal. She liked most food like cake, soup, bread. The list could go on and on.

Her eyebrows shot up when she heard he played music. She was interested in hearing him play. She was most interested when he pulled it out. It looked as though she thought it was a foriegn thing she had never seen before. Well she had seen one before but it didn't look like that.

Her head cocked slightly to the side when he commented next about it. Though he was joking, it still seemed strange. It seemed to be her turn to speak though so she took her mind off that subject.

Eldalia's eyes shot from the flute to his face. "Will you play something?" She asked him hopefully.

OOC: Anthem, north of Pheonix
[/size]

Anonymous

Kanto chuckled at the look on her face as she stared at his odd flute. He got that look alot. His flute was sort of a...custom job. Meaning he made it himself. He'd made alot before this one, always experimenting with the length of the ends, the width, the smoothness of the inside, how many holes to make...
And now he had this one, the closest thing to perfectly tuned he had thus made.

Kanto down-right smiled at her request. "I thougt you'd never ask." A small laugh escaped him. And then the flute was at his lips as he pondered what selection to play. He knew quite a few songs, most picked up from his travels, others he made up, and his most known ones being those he learned from his adoptive parents.
Picking a simple, slow folk song, Kanto began to play.

He fell into stride immediately, no warm-up necissary. His fingers danced and slid up and down the smooth surface of the flute, hitting every note with precision. The song literally flowed from that little piece of wood, flawless, rising and falling where it should, changes in tempo and volume meshed together perfectly. He had the ability to preform circular breathing, so that he did not need to pause in his song to take a quick breath. He could simply play and play and play without end, eyes shut as he concentrated and listened to his own music.
Both the inn owners had froze in their movements, listening, peaceful.
He could effect people's very emotions with this flute, and often did. He was such a masterful musician, one would think he'd have chosen to do that instead of being a mercinary.

Finally, the lilting tune came to a close, and he pocketed the flute. He took a deep breath before glancing back at Bdalia. He smiled softly. "I love playing that thing. What did you think?"

(Ah, cool. I don't think I've ever been there... *ponders*)

Anonymous

Eldalia smiled as he agreed to play. She listened to the slow song once he started. When he finished she grinned and chuckled, "Maybe I should listen to music more often," and then added, "that was great." Her gaze turned to the owners and they nodded in agreement.

"See?" she said in a chuckle as she lightly nodded her head to the two. "I don't lie."

She asked another question, "How many songs to you know how to play?" She wished she knew how to play the flute. That truely was quite beautiful.

OOC: Sorry I don't have long posts. I easily run out of interesting things. Oh yea, it E ldalia not Bdalia. (I'll make the words bigger  :roll: ) And Anthem is new I think.
[/color]

Anonymous

Kanto grinned a bit shyly and rubbed the back of his head. He then bowed his head. "Hehe, thanks." He normally played for himself, not for others, so he had forgotten how nice it felt to get compliments like this. He knew he was good, but it was different when somebody else shared the same opinion.

He laughed then as she nodded over to the owners of the inn and nodded. "Ok, now I believe you." He said mockingly, grinning in amusement at her. He brushed a few strands of his white hair from his face as she spoke again.
How many songs???
Woah, now there was a question...

Kanto blinked and looked up, pondering, a look of concentration on his young face. "Wow, good question. I honestly don't know. I play just about anything that I hear and like, and a bunch that I learned years ago. I've never really tried to count them."
He smiled sheepishly and shrugged, looking back at her. "Sorry."
He sat back more comfortably against the couch, shifting a bit so as to face her more fully.
"You wanna learn how to play?" He offered, more than willing to make her a flute and teach her how. Besides, what was life without a bit of music?

(Erk, so sorry! Yeah, that small print made it look like a B... ^_^;;; Sorry again! And I'm also sorry to have been gone for so long. I've been working. And hey, it's no big deal on the post thing. I've been rping for so long (years and years) that i've gotten really good at filling my post with a ton of useless crap to beef it up, lol.  :wink: )

Anonymous

Eldalia smiled, "You're welcome." She crossed her feet and looked to the ceiling as she waited for another peice of the conversation.

She rolled her eyes at the next comment. "Whatever," she shrugged at his sarcasm. Her hands reached down and pulled a leather strap out of her cloak and tied her hair into a messy pony-tail. Some hair locks drooped down and she rolled her eyes again.

"Sorry? For what?" She chuckled. "There's no problem here," she said while putting her hands together as if she were holding her hands up to her eyebrows as if blocking out the sun and searching for something. Eldalia chuckledand pulled her hands down.

When he asked her if she wanted to learn how to play, she thought for a moment and nodded happily. "What flute would I play though? And I don't want you to waste your time on teaching me." She shook her head.
[/color]

Anonymous

(Gah, sorry again! Work has been crazy!!)

Kanto snorted and arched one white brow at her. "Waste my time? Hardly." Being around people was never a waste of his time. He was far too friendly for that. Besides, he liked Eldalia's company. It was much better than the company of many of his 'employers'. A shady bunch they were, usually.

What flute would she play...Well, he had an idea for that.

"I'll make you a flute. I've done it so many times, it won't take long at all. As long as you don't mind treking outside of town just a bit so I can find a suitable tree to carve it from." And then he could start her lessons.
That would be bound to eat up some of this loose time he had on his hands.

(woah, short post. ^_^;;;)

Anonymous

Eldalia smiled. "OK." When she heard his next comment, she nodded. "Um, OK," She nodded again as she spoke. It would be interesting watching him make one.

"How long do you think it will take to learn how to play?" Eldalia had plenty time on her hands so she didn't mind at all how long. "How long have you been playing?" She asked and folded her hands on her knee. She put her hands up and tried at her hair again but, like before, some locks drooped back into her face. Eldalia sighed and left it alone.
[/size]

(SO SHORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Anonymous

(I'm BAAAACK! Eheheh... sorry for the wait)

Well good. Since his new student seemed to agree with the terms, then he saw no reason to wait around here any longer. Kanto stood and took a long moment to stretch out his stiff muscles, all the while listening to her words.
Satisfied, he turned around to face her once again.

"Well, I suppose it all depends on you. The time it takes to learn something depends on the one learning it, not the one teaching it. I can go as fast or as slow as I like, but you're the one learning." He grinned in his usual friendly way and shrugged. "I'll take as much time as you need."

How long had he been playing??? "My, you do pick the hard questions..." He watched as she struggled with her hair again, only to be vanquished by her wily locks. He chuckled and brushed at them with one hand. "I think we're going to have to get you some clips for that hair of yours." He wouldn't mind picking her up some. It's not like he had much to spend his money on anyway.
"Oh, right, back to your question. I suppose I've been playing since I was fairly young. Well, I should say, I've been learning since I was fairly young. I'm still not perfect, so I guess that means I've still got learning left to do, eh?"
He smiled and motioned for her to get up. "Come on, let's get started on your flute, alright?"

He then calmly grabbed the behemoth of a sword resting against the couch and casually swung it around and slid it into it's sheath on his back. He moved it about as though it weighed as much as any other normal sword, though it's shear size said otherwise.
Apparently he'd had that sword for awhile, if he had been able to get so used to it's weight.