Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A vampire and scholar walk into a bar...

Started by Ycharley, January 07, 2013, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

Scarlett sighed as she saw his reaction.

"Now you think I am going to eat you," She shook her head, seeming a bit sad at his reaction. She missed being something that people didn't fear. She bit her lip slightly, a habit she had had since the age of five.

"We don't have to, I know how humans get a chill, If you are cold we can walk in the light until mid to late afternoon," She offered looking down, her normal bubbly disposition gone.

Looshi

"Technically, you already did have a bite." He said, laughing nervously. Jonas held up his wrist to remind her, though he doubted she needed it. From her reaction last night, it could be a taste that was on her tongue for a while. He would play the wary card here. He still wanted to hold onto his life, no matter how feeble it was.

"There are no main roads to the tomb." He said, and began to wade through the brush a couple paces ahead of Scarlett. "It would be nice if there were, believe me. Ever been hiking before? It's going to be like that." Only this time, he need not worry about wild animals claiming him for prey. They tended to stay away when the smell of death was in the air.

Ycharley

Scarlett shook her head, "That isn't what I meant," She said simply. She followed behind Jonas, not seeming to have a problem maneuvering through the brush of the forest. Her usual talkative self silent as they made their way through the dense undergrowth of the forest.

Looshi

He had meant no offense, but intention wasn't enough to rid him of blame. Jonas had frowned at her answer, and took her silence as a cold shoulder towards him. He needed to watch himself. Though she may say she would eat him, instincts were everything, and it was difficult to draw the tales of vampires out from his mind when they so closely sat with reality. Was it wrong of him to be judgmental? More than likely. He himself had a certain prowess that could be dangerous; something he couldn't control easily. She boasted having control, and the fact that he was still standing with most of his blood intact should have been enough to vouch for it. But, it didn't stop him from feeling chills ride down his back as she waded her way through the brush behind him.

The forest was quiet, save for his hurried breathing and the birds singing through the tree tops. Their song was a comfort to his ears. If they were silent like the vampire, then he would have begun to worry. That's when people have told him to be on his guard, how true it was, he didn't know. He was not experienced. The grove around them grew darker as they pressed on; their way growing wilder as the trees and bushes pushed back at them. This was their home, and they were intruders. Jonas said a soft word to the forest, hoping to ease their travels. It had been two hours before they found the start of the trail. The tall oaks broke apart, as if someone had parted them with hands. They lined the trail spiraling downwards on a hill. Jonas made every step he took surefooted, and even still he felt the slick dirt move under his feet. He used the trees to brace himself, the sap sticking to his hands.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw something move, and stopped, his breathe catching in his throat.

Ycharley

Scarlett was silent, not only was her mood disheartened, she could also sense something, or someone following them. Her skin began to tingle before they even found the trail. She could smell the being, whatever it was. The scent wasn't strong enough for her to tell what it was exactly, just a hint enough to let her know something was there.

A few steps into the trail and she saw a flash of it, a quick glimpse of something dark, maybe a coat tail, she wasn't for sure. She reached out and grabbed Jonases shoulder. It seemed he had seen it as well, by the drumming of his heart.

"Do you want me to go try to figure out what that was?" She asked in a whisper, not seeming to be as frightened as him.

Looshi

That dour face. The hard lines creasing his brow. Cheeks sagging, and a bald head baring itself to the world. Jonas knew that face. He knew that man. And for a moment, he swore he saw a shade. Ivo was dead. He saw the man die, heard his last words, and felt his grip slip from his when he drew his last breaths. But there he had been in his robes, with the same despondent expression Jonas knew well. His hands tightened on the strap of his rucksack, knuckles whitening. Memories struck back at him, and his eyes began to water.

It was nothing. He saw nothing. The forest was playing tricks on him. Only tricks...

Jonas jumped visibly at Alerri's voice, and he quickly wiped at his eyes. He couldn't be weak. Was it truly a weakness, to try for someone dead? He didn't know. But he did know he didn't want Scarlett to see him that way. Not when he could help it.

"It...It was nothing." He managed to say, and turned around to smile at her, his lips quivering at the sides from it being forced. "Just shadows."

Ycharley

Scarlett shook her head, she knew that is wasn't just a shadow, a drink of the light. "You might not trust your senses but I trust my own. I saw something, I feel something watching us, and I smell something, what ever that was," She spoke in a forced whisper.

She could still see the extra dampness in his eyes the quiver in his lips, she said nothing though. She knew though, that whatever Jonas just say meant something to him, whoever was just there was tied to him some how. She would guess that it had to deal with his first venture to the tomb.

"You need to tell me everything right now, anything you might have left out of forgot to mention, any details of this tomb that I might not know. You could be putting both of us at more risk then necessary if you don't share everything."