Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Road Rage! (Highwayman!)

Started by Paradox, February 22, 2013, 03:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

"What isss that look you give me? It'sss not MY fault," The kobold insisted and waved his arms above his head frantically as though such a gesture made his ridiculous claims more credible. It failed to impress his tall friend. "They're big and sssscary and they ssshook me around like a pepper ssshaker! "

When Kyt went to approach the orcs, however, Sekeo hung back. There was NO way he was going to confront orcs. Not even the less aggressive ones! Let the human deal with them. Sekeo was still convinced that Kyt , the wizard, was hiding some super secret awesome powers that could melt many faces.

Hearing the human yell at them, the orcs stopped and turned. "What is it NOW , human?"

"Go get, them Kyt! I'll be right here sssupporting you. From behind this tree!" Sekeo hid behind the nearest tree and poked is long, green draconian muzzle out from behind, beady yellow eyes watching. He gave the man a clawed thumbs up.

ooc: Feel free to drag him along. x3

TheHighwayman

Right... help would have been too much to ask for, of course. Kyt supposed he should have expected that, given his magic and what he'd seen so far of the kobold. Well, nothing for it but to handle things himself then. "You remember that magic ring that's far more trouble than it's worth I mentioned? One of you took it from my scaly friend back there." Kyt held out an upturned hand as he drew closer, keeping an eye out for any sign of aggression

Good thing he was, too. As he drewin closer to their leader, he felt a flash of anger and greed from his right. Stepping back, the healer felt a fist graze against his shoulder. Now, he his expertise was in healing injuries, not in understanding their causes, but he was fairly certain if that had been a square hit it would have broken something. "I won't give back to thief!" the orc who'd swung barked out.

And then Kyt realized his predicament in full- his first reaction to the blow had been to step back and raise his arms in defense- a rather weak attempt at defending himself physically, rather than the magical onslaught he'd hoped they feared. So much for that bluff...

Paradox

"Ussse your magic, magic man! Teach mean orcsss lesson!" Sekeo called out from his perfectly distant and safe hiding place from behind the sturdy oak tree. "Rain down firesss!"

The kobold watched and waited with excitement as Kyt raised his arms and...
Nothing. He just raised his arms as if to block. 

The kobold was disappointed. "Maybe he needsss dissstraction to ssssummon hissss powerssss! " Sekeo sliped a dagger out from his cloak. "No worriesss! Sssekeo to the ressscue!" And the threw the dagger at the orc who'd punched – well, tried to hit his human friend.

The tiny blade sunk into the big lug's boot and caused him to howl and hop about madly. "No one hitsss my wizard and getsss away with it!"

"O wow wow wow!" The wounded orc hopped around in circles, crying tears of pain and nursing his foot.

The other orcs looked about ready for a fight and Sekeo squeaked and fell over himself to hide behind the tree again, "Eeek!"

"Enough!" The big orc growled. "Turlaugh, just give them the bloody ring if you got it. Magics aren't worth the trouble. "

The orc with the wounded foot shot a nasty glare at Sekeo and said, "I don't got a ring!"

"Liar!" Sekeo hissed and hopped up and down,pointing his claw accusingly at the orc.

"Am not!" Turlaugh spat and yanked the tiny dagger from his boot and threw it to the earth.

"ARE TOO!"

"AM NOT!"

"ARE TOO TIMES TEN!"

"AM NOT TIMES ....uh...MORE THAN TEN!"

"ARE TOO TIMES MORE THAN YOU CAN COUNT!!!"

"SHUT IT!" The big orc interrupted their bickering with a bellow. "Give him the bleeding ring or I'll cut your damn hand off and give it to them. "

"Boss! I swear! I don't got nothing like what he says!"   

The big orc went over to his companion and searched him. When he was finished he turned to the strangers, " He doesn't have it.  Anyone else?"
The other orcs looked at one another and shrugged.

"Not me boss."

"Nuh uh. "

"Maybe it falled on the floor when we was shakin' 'im." One of the most dim-witted among the brutes spoke up. "I seened somethin' shiny on the ground. " He lifted a large, meaty green hand and pointed, "Oooo...see! I see it dere!"
Everyone looked over in the direction the dim-wit was pointing and...their eyes fell on Sekeo- more specifically, they looked at the ground some ways behind him.

Sekeolath'zhin looked as well and " Oh! THERE it isss. Nevermind! My missstake!"

Turlaugh started toward Sekeo, "Yew rotten little...!"

The others stopped him though.

"Aw. C'mon boss. Lemme kick his head in fer bein' an ijit!"

"Leave 'em. We gots Bloodskulls t' kill boys. C'mon."

And away the orcs lumbered once more.

TheHighwayman

Kyt kept his distance from the orc, hoping things would resolve themselves before the violence got any worse. Maybe if he made a quick lunge, he could drop him before this got any further out of control? No, had to save that for a last resort. Maybe if- Kyt froze as the kobold yelled at him. Did he seriously think he had that sort of power? Was that why he was just standing behind a tree while Kyt did all the work? Or not, as it seemed the little guy had finally decided to pitch in. The healer grinned, he'd known the kobold wasn't a complete lost cause.n

Then things got... odd. When Kyt has approached the orcs, he had expected either a peaceful negotiation or a lot of violence, not a shouting match. His heart fell and he realized that last bit might still come to fruition as the big orc began to search the smaller, more violent one. The healer could already tell he was being honest- though that did raise a few questions as to why he'd decided to take a swing at him... maybe he was just extremely eager for a fight in general? Regardless, it could look pretty bad for them if they were standing there throwing false accusations around. Kyt just stood there, nearly holding his breath until the orcs began to move on.

"Well, that went... better than it could have, at least. Sekeo, next time would you mind double checking before I go confront five things that are twice my size?" He couldn't be too bitter- at least the kobold had made some token effort to help this time. As he started back, he continued, "And just so we're clear on this, I CAN'T rain down fires. If I could, do you think we'd have needed to take this detour to avoid Bashir's men? Oh, and did you have any luck finding a walking stick, by the way?"

Paradox

Sekeo gave the human a skeptical look, "But, you're a wizard! All wizardsss know how to make the sssky rain fire!" He then shrugged, " Maybe you hide thisss power to keep othersss guessing your limitsss! Isss good for intimidation."

Though when Kyt mentioned the walking stick...

"Ohhhh! NOW I get it! Your powersss are weaker without a proper ssstaff! "Sekeo hissed with pleasure , fancying himself to be quite the cleaver little creature. "Don't worry! I will find sssomething perfect, worthy of firesss making! Wait right there. Thisss won't take very long." He left Kyt alone , hobbling over to the oak he'd hidden behind and dragged a branch about as tall as Kyt was over to him.

"Thisss, I find. Oooo...it'ssss heavy. Sssturdy oak branch. Make good wizard ssstaff, yesss?" He had some trouble lifting the branch off the ground up to Kyt's hand for the man to take. The kobold wasn't a very strong creature. 

TheHighwayman

Kyt groaned as the kobold moved off again. The little guy was a thief for crying out loud! He couldn't recognize a bluff when it was right in front of him? Ah well, at least he'd have another walking stick now, and maybe the kobold would be less prone to panic and run away if he thought Kyt could just incinerate any given threat... maybe. Grabbing the branch, he tapped it against the ground a few times to test the length. "Hrm... this'll do nicely, actually. Might even work better than my old one." One band of orcs survived, he was starting to get his strength back from his earlier magic, and he had another staff. Kyt grinned; now he felt like he was prepared for the situation. "So, it's not far to the city, then? When we get there, do you really think this friend of yours can help?"

Paradox

Sekeo shook his head, "Not far now," he lifted a claw and pointed ahead and to their left, perhaps forgetting that his new friend was blind. It wouldn't be the first time or the last. "We follow that path there. It joinsss with the main road clossse to Arca."

The kobold tugged on the man's sleeve, " Of coursssse Hubert will help usss! He isss old friend of mine and he isss very interesssted in all thingsss magical. You will sssee. You will sssee."  And with that said, Sekeo took lead once more, guiding his human friend to the path which they followed for about an hour or so.

Thankfully, they reached Arca without any further incident.

ooc: And so concludes this thread. It is continued at Unexpected Guests, Unwanted Surprises.