Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Can you find my problem?

Started by Ycharley, March 03, 2013, 08:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

"It would be nice if my enemies believed in fighting the old-fashioned way instead of tricks like the one that has been played on my people. I much prefer my chances on the battle field," She spoke with another small smile. She was trying to keep the mood light and be a good hostess, even with how weak she felt.

Lumina still clutched the napkin in her hand rather tightly. Hiding the crimson evidence of exactly how sick she was. Behind her smile there was a bit of worry, she had never coughed up blood, no matter how much she used her abilities. She wondered if the curse had finally caught up with her.

Zero

"It would certainly be more honorable to face you in honest combat, a duel, perhaps. However, I find people of the sort to do such things as hide trinkets of ill omen to be cowards, so I fear there is little chance of honor in their methods." Tatsu despised cowards. They had no honor. Those responsible for this plague would pay for their crimes, of that he had no doubt.

There was something that suddenly made him alert, sitting up in his chair and looking across the table, eyes hard. Perhaps it was the way Lumina clutched her napkin, or that there was something just a touch off about her smile. "There is something wrong. You are not as well as you seem."

Ycharley

Lumina's eyes got wide in shock, she wasn't expecting Tatsu to pick up on anything, at least not a quickly as he did. She wondered if she should keep her first symptom to herself or if she should share it. Lumina took a deep breath, she wouldn't say anything at first, if he continued with his questioning she wouldn't lie, but she didn't want to take a chance on worry him either, he had a job to do.

"I'll be fine, you shouldn't worry about me. Worry clouds the mind and corrupts judgement," She spoke. If he left the subject alone she would as well. If he truly had concern for her and pushed with his questioning she would be honest. She didn't want to run off a possible friends with lies.

Zero

"I will be more worried not to know. Consider it motivation." Tatsu may not have been able to sense the cursed object yet, but the evil it was spreading through Lumina's people was hard to miss. That it might eventually effect her was logical. If she was becoming sick, then there was no telling what might become of her people.

Ycharley

Lumina looked up at the servants, seeming relieved that they hadn't seemed to have picked up on the conversation. She waited for them to quit serving, waiting and watching in silence. She didn't want the possibility of hysteria to spread by rumor.

"Please, leave the bottle of wine on the table and excuse us, we have business to discuss," She spoke, her voice authoritative and leaving no room for questions. The servants did as she asked and left the room, closing the door behind them. Her eyes then returned to Tatsu before she laid the cloth on the table, crimson dots splattered the crisp white cloth.

"I have never coughed up blood, no matter how much magic I have used," She stated, worry clear in her eyes. Not worry for herself though, but worry for her people. "The sickness is different for everyone, but I think I am its intended next victim."

Zero

Tatsu waited patiently, not speaking further until Lumina had dismissed the servants. He understood her desire for discretion. The people were already alarmed enough, no need to start a full-blown panic.

Once they were alone, Lumina laid out the white cloth for him to inspect. The speckles of blood were disturbing. Coughing blood was a serious symptom to develop. All the more troublesome that it had come so quickly.

Leaning back in his chair, he gazed thoughtfully at the napkin. His expression and posture did not speak of alarm or worry, although he could sense worry in his hostess. "It would seem that you are the next intended victim, in which case, I will not delay my search idling about in my room after dark. I will search through the night. You should rest, however."

Tatsu hesitated. "There may be something I can do. It is not a natural sickness, so I cannot be sure anything I do might help, but I could at least try." He reached inside his cloak and pulled a small glass vial from an unseen pocket, holding it out to her. The contents were warm, almost hot, a liquid with a silvery glimmer. "If you trust me, this may help at least slow the sickness."

Ycharley

Lumina took the vial, deciding whether or not she should trust him. She looked at it, felt the heat of it in her hand. Her eyes then returned to him. She seemed to have an internal conflict, sitting there wanting to say something but not knowing if she should.

Finally she leaned back in her chair. "What is it, there is only a few things that produce a liquid such as this. Please don't take my question as an insult to your kindness in wanting to help me, but it seems fair that if I am to be completely honest with you and reveal this sudden illness  that you reveal how you plan on helping me," She spoke, seeming to be picking her words wisely.

Her eyes returned to the vial, she slowly opened the top, it seemed she planned to drink the contents of the vial no matter what he had to say about it.

Zero

Tatsu suspected that Lumina might question what was in the vial, and he had prepared himself to deliver her an honest answer. "It is the blood of a Ellanari Sky Dragon."

Ellanari Sky Dragons were thought to have gone exstinct thousands of years ago, of course. The idea of drinking blood was unappealing to most people, however, every part of his kind held potent magic, from the blood, the scales, the fur, the horns...It was in part why they had been so decimated by humans. It was why he could sense magic so keenly, his being was almost pure magical energy.

Ycharley

Lumina looked up at Tatsu, gazing into his eyes as if searching for the truth, her gaze holding some suspicion but over all trust, she knew that if it was truly dragon blood that it would definitely have some affect. She knew that dragons were truly magical creatures and their magic potent. The fact was, how would he have gotten his hands on it, yet so willing to give it away.

"Cheers," She said breaking her gaze, removing the top off and emptying the vial in a matter of seconds. It was clear by the funny look on her face that the blood was disgusting. She quickly grabbed her goblet of wine to rid the flavor from her mouth.

"Would love to say that was pleasant, but I would be lying," She spoke. She felt a chill run through her body, followed by a slight burning sensation. The pendant on her neck almost instantly started beaming with light.

Zero

Tatsu's face had become passive again, but there was no trace of deceit. He had not lied, would not have lied. His strict sense of honor would not have allowed it. Still, his eyes watched intently as she drank the blood. His blood.

The look that crossed his features might have made him smile, but Tatsu refrained. Yes, it wasn't likely to be pleasant, but it was potent and hopefully would help her. At her words he did spare a slight smile, but his eyes grew sharp as the pendant began to glow.

"How do you feel?" Tatsu hoped that she would not have a bad reaction to his blood.

Ycharley

Lumina blinked a few times, taking the time to think through her answer before looking back up at Tatsu.

"Well, that would depend on what you mean... Physically, I feel better, I feel like I can take a deep breath. Magically, I feel as if I am about to explode," She spoke her voice a bit shaky as she looked down at her hands, her palms glowing.

It all reminded her of when she was younger, before she got the pendant. The power raging within, just below the surface, still it felt a bit different now. Back then it felt wild, now though, it felt like it was under complete control.

Zero

Tatsu visibly relaxed when Lumina assured him she felt fine physically. For a tense moment he was certain that something had gone wrong. The surge of magical energy wasn't too alarming, not yet.

"Excess magical energy is to be expected after consuming dragon blood, especially Ellanari Sky Dragon blood. You may wish to thoroughly ground yourself, or use the magic up for a good purpose." Much of Tatsu's time was spent grounding himself to release excess magical energy.

Ycharley

"Well what better way of using all of this excess energy then to find a way to help my people with it, but that brings up another situation, figuring out a magical way to help them. I don't know if my efforts earlier had any affect," Lumina spoke with a sigh her face pensive. She continued to drink from her goblet rather frequently, trying to wash down the taste that lingered on her tongue.

That is when she looked up, "Would it be rude of me to ask you where you acquired the dragon blood, I can only think of four or five possibilities of how you acquired it."

Zero

"The best way to help your people right now is to stay calm and healthy. Everything in my power will be done to find the cause of the curse as quickly as possible. Only once the item is destroyed or removed will your people be truly safe." Tatsu honestly didn't know exactly what Lumina was capable of and did not want to risk her safety in any way.

Still, when she asked about where he acquired the blood, Tatsu found himself leaning back in his chair and folding his hands in his lap, one leg thrown over the other. His face was conflicted. "It might be considered rude, but the answer is I got it from a dragon, obviously."

Ycharley

Lumina looked down with a nod, " I felt a need to ask because two of the possibilities I find unacceptable, and either of those ways I would have to ask you to leave," She looked down, recalling a memory in her mind that seemed to pain her a little. She closed her eyes for a moment, collecting herself before she looked back up.

"I will not ask for details just a simple yes or no answer, but I must know, just to ease my conscience. Did you or someone else kill the dragon that the blood came from?" She asked, her face like stone. It was clear that if he answered yes, he would be the outlet for her excess power.

Zero

Tatsu realized what Lumina was worried about, of course, and was fully prepared for the next question. He did not have to lie, and he did not have to reveal too much either. "I assure you the dragon was not harmed and the blood was given freely."

It was given my himself, of course, but Tatsu didn't feel that was truly important and did not wish to expose his true nature. Not yet, thousands of years of hiding had taught him to be cautious about trusting people. Humans especially, considering all they had done to his people. Somehow he did not hate them for their crimes.

"It does warm me to hear your concern for the dragon."

Ycharley

Lumina sat back in her chair, taking a deep breath, a somber look coming over her face. "When one helps raise you, and then you are forced to see the horrors that some people do to them, you tend to get that way," She spoke, remembering the woman who was like her grandmother when she lived at her mothers temple. She dare not call the woman's face into recollection, knowing if she did that her mind would force her to see how a group of mercenaries kill her.

Zero

A look of genuine surprise crossed Tatsu's face, a rare expression for his generally stoic features. This was completely unexpected news. Although, he had raised a human child as his own, it wasn't unheard of for dragons to raise non-dragons. It was just unexpected.

"A dragon helped raise you? That is fascinating. I know dragons sometimes raise those not their own..." Tatsu wasn't sure just how to approach the subject, it was a sensitive topic. "How rude, it is none of my business, but still interesting to hear, all the same."

Ycharley

Lumina took a deep breath letting her emotions settle a bit. "Not rude, I offered the information to you," She spoke looking down at both of their empty plates. Neither of them had eaten and she couldn't recall Tatsu drinking any of his wine.

"Now, on to brighter subjects, we should enjoy our dinner don't you think?" She asked as she started to place fruit on her plate.

Zero

Tatsu nodded, the last thing he wished to do was annoy his hostess. Still he bit his tongue and refused to ask questions about her childhood and why there was a dragon involved. There were dragons in Adela, he knew, and he had been there before, but they were not the same. No dragons were the same as his people.

"Yes, we should enjoy dinner, now that you are out of danger, for the moment." Tatsu hadn't realized that he had not so much as touched his wine. He lifted his drink now and sipped it appreciatively. When he had joined her earlier in this hall Tatsu had not eaten anything, and even now he did not put anything on his plate.