Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Never Wish, Never Tell

Started by visualspice, April 27, 2013, 09:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Artemis let out a yelp, nearly falling down the steps as she clung to the rail. She was so petrified, her legs were becoming useless to her as she tried to blink back tears away. What a god awful night. What was to happen next- other sorts of magic? And what was this man anyways? Some deranged lunatic that liked to eat blood? Almost like a vampire.. she shivered at the idea and reminded herself vampires DID NOT exist, which was repeated inside her head as she gingerly, but swiftly made her way to the bottom of the steps. Once there, she froze up again, not sure what she was supposed to do. Was she going to die down here? The very idea flashed more hot tears within her eyes.
If she died...
what would her family do?
And on top of that.. she was deathly afraid of.... death!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Dietrich had no intention of killing her.  Not now at least when she was proving so useful and there was no way in hell he was going to get out of this library alive without another bloodbath.  While fun, such activity would no doubt draw the attention of the city guard and perhaps even the Mordecai and that was more trouble than he could swallow in one sitting.  So when Artemis froze in her tracks, he stepped behind her and lifted her from the ground and cradled her in his arms as he bounded through the stacks of books and other shelves that had long since collected dust.  But he paused at their precipice, feeling a strange aura.

No matter, he would have to chance it.  There was no other outlet of escape.  "Now, Miss Artemis, you're going to have to trust me, at least for now.  You see those men that are after me are not good men.  And if you didn't see what happened to your doorman perhaps that is a blessing, but do not assume that they wouldn't do the same to you.  They would just as soon add you as nothing more than another casualty solely for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Now as for that help I requested, I need you to help me get out of here.  I need you to find the proper exit and fast!"  Already he could hear the ax of one of the hunters breaking through the door and there were cries as the pounding was fervent and only grew louder as wood splintered.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Even as the pair were the next floor door, even deeper within the basement, Artemis could hear the pounding and breaking of the door upstairs. Those hunters would be inside that room soon no doubt and she could little but trust the man who held her within his arms. The very act made her stiff, but she had hardly time to consider the close proximity of a handsome man, because their very lives were at stake. Too bad it was awfully dark in this portion of the room, but still, something caught her attention on the other side of the wall. "O-over there, another door. We could see if that leads us out. It was .. was rumored the basement of the library eventually opens up to the catacombs of ancient times. But.." She pressed her lips, feeling too, the strange aura in this room, as if something were calling to her- callign to her beyond the door they were heading towards as she chewed into her lip.
She must be hearing things, she wasn't hearing voices. She had to focus, to keep her wits about her.. lest she fall prey to the chaos all about. And as they neared the door, her eyes widened at the sort of lock upon it. And she knew her key would not fit.
THe lock itself held a silver carving with a demon's face, the key hole, it's mouth open.
Her face twisted at the very sight of it, a breath hitching int he back of her throat as she gasped.

"I ... I do not think I have a key for such a door,"s he stammered, feeling frustrated and helpless as more tears heated in her eyes. Even the door looked strange...
but then a loud THUMP caught her attention, making her yelp as she turned, glancing over her shoulder, catching sight of yet another door... this one appearing more squat and shallow, smaller even. But the lock...

It looked like her key might fit into it.
"Over there. The small door. I think my key might fit," she said. "Perhaps that could also lead to something?"

OOC: Maybe they find the demon book on some sort of alter in that room with the peculiar lock on it? And maybe they find the key elsewhere? I'm thinking the squat door is small where the pair would have to crawl into it if they wanted to see what was in it, and maybe it opens to a storage room that contains more clues/ hints towards the demonic book idea we wanted to go with~ just a thought >> and again, sorry the post might be rambly T_T *tired*
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

The darkness was mystifyingly thick and even with his night vision, Dietrich almost couldn't penetrate through it.  He could see the door faintly on the other side as he ushered them through.  If he had a heart, it would have leapt out of his throat by now that was for sure.  But in his vampirism, he was braver than he would have been alive - sometime more than five hundred years ago.  And yet, it was an amazing thought that despite all his strength he would some day be running from mere mortal men.

Well, they just happened to be mortal men that had strength in numbers and holy weapons in their hands.  But he knew if the situation were turned, he'd tear them all to pieces with nothing less than a bloodbath to show for it.  And he wouldn't even need soap. 

Dietrich bolted for the door with the demon mouth when she indicated it.  She was getting uncontrollably frantic and Dietrich could pay little attention to her as his eyes remained glued to the demonic-mouth keyhole it had.  It had a powerful aura, one even a vampire would cower to.  But Dietrich stood his ground and just stared at it in confusion, trapped in his own indecision.  It was only when she indicated another panel on the floor, a trapdoor from the looks of it that he slowly turned to her, tearing his eyes from the demon door and moving to kneel beside her.

As he did so however, he began to hear unusual howling, heavy knocking on the door, as if there was a man trapped on the other side trying to get out.  It sounded evil, nothing short of it and Dietrich had to do a double take to both Artemis and the door to be sure she heard it as well.  It chilled him to the bone.  Such a feeling only brought more desperate anger to him.  He was ashamed to even feel such a sensation for this fear seemed only brought on by mere sounds.  If something was going to kill them both down here, why wouldn't it have the balls to just make itself known.

Curiosity got the better of him though when he rose slowly to the door as the door actively shook with the force of each residual pounding.  The growling on the other side subsided only as he neared.  As soon as he was in front of it, it stopped.  His hand reached out for the knob, which was the crooked, gnarled nose of the demonic keyhole.

It was a chance against all odds when he opened the door, not expecting it to budge as if the wind itself were pushing the heavy oaken door over it.  And in front of him was a small window of moonlight spilling through a gutter-sized window highlighting the outline of a large black tome, with a keyhole on it the same was the one on the door.

"Is this what was making all that noise?" he wondered as he stepped forth, taking time from his desperate escape to see the book.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

OOC: Omg.. I hope my reply makes sense ;_; I dunno why I keep staring at this and my mind goes blank T_T

--------------------

Artemis had been frozen, mind feeling distant from reality as the door was opened, and Dietrich approached the book. There were several books around here that gave her the chills, made her skin crawl, but this one took the cake. So when he approached, she gasped and rushed forward, latching onto his arm as she pressed.
"NO!!!" though she didn't know where such a reaction to draw near to this strange blood drinking man had come from, but something possessed her to do it, something inside her screaming out for him not to touch it, but then as she had moved as close to it as he was, even she paused to stare down at it, her brown eyes completely transfixed upon the scroll work, the ancient script scrolled across the surface, glinting silver in the moonlight.
"That text..."s he said, utterly confused and baffled. "It almost looks like... like ancient Essyrian.." she timidly stepped forward, coming out from where she had been gripping onto Dietrich's side as her eyes roved over it. The book was beautiful, even if it's very presence sent a chill to her bone. It was of black leather, with risen sculpted silver lettering glittering off the moon light, and as she took a step forward, and she too, noticed the same lock upon the book. But she didn't dare touch it. But the she heard something and jumped. The door upstairs...
it sounded like those hunters had broken in.

Lion

There must have been a reason why the door had howled and growled so furiously the way it did and if Dietrich had any experience in the supernatural - which he did - then he'd say the book was trying to get their attention, but for what, he didn't know.  There was an irresistible temptation to touch the book, to caress the black leather softly and his hand grazed over it, but for a moment when the sound of the door opening in the basement upstairs took to his ears.

He snatched the book from the pedestal and tucked it into his coat as he took Artemis by the other arm.  "There's not enough time.  Just open the goddamned trap door!" he seethed at her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis was so startled she could have fainted dead away, but her heart was drumming in her ears, sweat slicking her fingers as she fumbled through the keys, stumbled to get it in the key hole as the hunters were pounding their way down the stairs.
"Gods.. gods..." her eyes were heating up with tears as she continued to fumble- but then finally, a CLICK, and the door swung open, and even she didn't hesitate as she rushed inside, down on her knees and crawled blindly into the dark.

Lion

Dietrich slammed the door behind them and took her key to lock it shut from the keyhole above them.  He was breathing hard and the blood on his face was dried from all the stressful escaping.  The heavy book was taking it's toll in his jacket.  He didn't know why he grabbed it, he didn't know why he didn't just leave the damn thing on it's altar-like pedestal.

The room they had entered was looking a lot like a storage room with nothing more than excess shelves, dusted scroll-slots, chairs and tables stacked on ends to form nothing short of a labyrinth.  Dietrich grabbed her hand for a moment and looked at her dead in the eyes.  "You have to calm down.  It'll be the death of you.  And that's the last thing I need.  Now, take a moment for a breath.  Now, think, and think hard, just where does this room lead?  I remember you said something about the catacombs.  Now if that's it, then that's our destination.  I hope you aren't squeamish around dead bodies."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Calm down!? Dead bodies!? Artemis felt herself grow light headed, even a little nauseous as she let out a whimpering breath. Her eyes were still brimming with tears that threatened to fall. And this man, now with blood all over his face, was he.. no, he couldn't be trying to comfort her. He was as crazy as the others, but then again.. at least he hadn't tried to harm her.
Yet.

The people chasing them... they seemed a deadly sort, even if she had witnessed the man beside her, holding her hand, her kill one.
HOLY SHIT. Her mind whirled at the recollection, fear chilling her blood as she felt herself shake and tremble, a tear slipping down her cheek.

"I.. I can only presume where this leads," she stammered, voice wavering. She was so terrified, her heart racing so fast, it was hard for her to simply 'calm down'. "I've never been down here before. I was never allowed. I'm only an assistant." Not a full librarian. And it seemed she never would. But now was not the time to dwell over the fact her job had taken a sudden turn for the worse.. a pay cut.. how would her family react?

But what was she thinkign!? Right now she had to worry about survival! What if she were to die here? Her eyes flickered around. It was so difficult to see in the dark.

"Who are those people after you?" she found herself asking. She couldn't believe she could be so direct, but her mind was in a rush, and there wasn't time for hesitation.

Lion

She was correct in her evaluation.  Dietrich would not kill her for as long as she proved herself useful.  But perhaps a sheep as scared as she was might not be worth the energy it would take to kill her.  Prey like were for vampires that had not the pride nor the power to claim kills of beasts that were greater than they were.  He was not a master vampire, true, he had no thralls in his league, his place in his coven was taken by force and still several ranks below that of - Cronus.

Dietrich stomach churned at the word, frowning as he thought of the Master Vampire and his treasured whorish wife, Bellona. 

But those were sentiments for another matter.  Dietrich's strongest instict was his self-preservation and as long as this -

"Assistant?" he asked with a peculiar gaze.  "You're just an assistant?  Well, after this they better promote you because you're more useful than any other meatbag in this building."  He drug her though the storage room.  The darkness was thick and difficult to venture through as well as dusty.  If he were human he would no doubt would leave traces of sneezing that would be easy to follow.  As it were, he could see perfectly in the darkness and lead Artemis between the labrynthian shelves and crates.

"Those men?  Hmmm, if you must know, they are vampire hunters.  And that's just what they're hunting.  A vampire," Dietrich answered nonchalantly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

OOC: THE TREASURED WIFE, BALOGNE! BALONEY 8D

--------------

At his comment about a promotion, her face fell, but she puffed out her cheeks to keep her hot air in. Thinking about that damn 'demotion' was the last thing she needed, but she couldn't help but grow angry as she was pulled along.
"If anything, I'll be fired for this!" she wailed, stumbling along and barely keeping up, but his hold on her was strong and it was his pulling that kept her from falling over herself.
And as they rushed along, her heart was pumping, beating loudly in her ears as fear rode her like a drum.

And then he said it.
"What?" her face fell. She must've misheard him. She could have laughed. "What are you talking about? Vampire hunters?" Her face twisted in confusion. Was he mad? Clearly he must be. It was all making sense now! (not that she shouldn't have presumed that before!)

Lion

Dietrich's eyes were busy frantically searching for an exit of any kind.  The trap door they'd come through was locked, but such doors could still be broken into and there was no telling just how much time they had left to escape.  The book seemed to be made of lead in his grip.  For all his strength it was actually weighing him down and his fingers were starting to lose hold on it.  He immediately aboutfaced and looked Artemis square in the eye.  He opened his jacket and shoved the book into her other arm and continued to pull her along when at last he found some junk, a lot of it, blocking the way to the next room over.

It was an ancient rounded archway and just underneath it a heavy iron door that was rusted through with heavy bolts jammed through the stone.  Dietrich let go of her hands as he was busy moving the junk out of the way.

"Vampire.  Hunters," Dietrich said.  "I don't believe I stuttered and I think you would have seen that little display with that fountain of blood not too long ago.  Don't tell me you don't believe in vampires.  Do I look like a child's fable?  No, I don't think so."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis wasn't sure how to take the man's comment. He was insane, and she repeated that idea inside her head until it began to spill out of her lips. She was muttering something, words pressing into the book as she clutched it fervently. And it was only then she noted something written in the scroll work of text spiraled across the entire book's cover.

"Zahss winste du havven." she whispered, realizing she had recognized some of the ancient text. "To open the book, read the word." ANd no sooner had she spoke it did the book let out a hiss, a puff of black smoke as Artemis screamed and dropped it at her feet. Though even in the darkness she could see serpent like threads of black smoke were wafting up from the sides of it, and the air around them began to chill so quickly, as she trembled, she was seeing the white puffs of her breath.

OOC: woo for making up languages on the spot XD

Lion

"What are you doing!?" Dietrich howled, but it was too late when she at last dropped the book and it fell open.  The pages fluttered as if the draft sifted through it and plopped on a proper page.  The smoke thickened and swirled around Artemis and he was in awe at what was happening.  Gods, of all moments it had to now!?  Dietrich grit his teeth and reached for Artemis around the book, but something was telling him to keep his distance, something more powerful than he and the smoke turned to gnarled thorny hands that grabbed at the young librarian's assistant and tried to force it's way into her nose and mouth.  There was a deep growling voice that repeated the words she had spoken, followed shortly by a laugh.

Dietrich ducked forth, finding his willpower and reached for the covers of the book, slamming it shut.  It was surprisingly difficult as whatever was coming out of the book was resisting even his strength.  Dietrich struggled to keep it closed.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis had found herself in a trance, eyes becoming lost and distant in the swirling black smoke. But when Dietrich slammed the book shut, she nearly leaped out of her skin. Her eyes darted around, uncertain what was going on, that was, until a heavy banging began at he door. Screaming, she jumped, smacked her head upon the low ceiling before wincing and cowering near to Dietrich, only to find her eyes falling upon the book and the way he struggled.
"The book.."S he furrowed her brows, watching how it moved and growled beneath his hands. "It's acting as if it were alive!"

Lion

"That's because -" Dietrich huffed and pressed all of his body weight down onto the cover of the book as it tried to heave him off.  The ground began to shake and the very crates behind him seemed to fall over on their own accord. "-IT IS!  It's a demon tome!  Couldn't you tell by the letters!  Old Essyrni was of many cryptic languages used by summoners and conjurers to call spirits of the dead.  Among other things.  You're a librarian!  OUCH!  You should know this!" 

His grip didn't hold and eventually the book ceased to struggle.  He tried to pick it up, but it seemed adhered to the floor.  It wouldn't move to his touch, only hers.  "You've got to pick it up.  It wants you!'

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis only stared. Her mind was in a whirl from what he was saying, and when she finally came back to reality, her eyes fluttered as she stammered, "W-what?" She shook her head. "But demon's aren't-"  Aren't real, of course, but neither were vampire and vampire hunters. She felt as if she were about to faint, but as she trembled, she found herself shaking her head again.
"Why would I pick it up?! We should just leave it behind!" and she moved to rush past it. She wanted to save her own skin, not some potentially cursed book!

Lion

Dietrich snatched hold of her arm and whirled her around back to him.  "You don't understand these kinds of things, that is clearly evident," he seethed, gritting his teeth.  "If you leave the book here now that you've awakened it's curse, it'll make your life a living hell.  These kinds of books don't go away easily.  First you have to see what it wants, now it's attached to you.  It won't even let me move it, let alone open it.  It'll follow you now that it's free of it's chamber.  It will find a way back to you until you obey what it wants.  Now pick it up."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis let out a yelp as she was caught by the arm and drawn back towards him. At his words, she grimaced. The idea some sort of book was going to haunt her did not sit well with her. She couldn't let this sort of thing get back to her family. She paled over the idea.
"Are you sure it's just me?" but the pounding at the door had her lunging for the book, snatching it off of the ground before she huffed and looked about in dismay. But as she did so, she heard it whisper to her and flinched, holding it out from her body as if it were some slimy worm.
"The thing is talking to me- what do I do!?"
could they throw it in some sort of fire? Maybe that would stop it..
THough then again, she didn't believe in these sorts of magics, and here she was finding herself caught within a whirl wind of it. It was so hard to believe, so hard to swallow, but she had little time to debate. Those hunters, whatever they were, THEY WERE ALMOST BREAKING THROUGH THE DOOR!

Lion

Dietrich didn't have time to answer her questions when the reminder of the hunters came back to him.  He flew to the crates and shoved them out of the way one by one, smashing through wood and splinters came flying out at him, but he didn't care when at last the old ancient archway was revealed.  "There's no time," Dietrich said as he kicked the door open into darkness before them.  "Just run through.  Take the book!"  He shoved her through it and followed suit, slamming the wooden door clothes.  The smell of corpse and musk and death hung around them.  Yes, these were catacombs all right.  Thankfully there was an unlit torch nearby.  And it was a good thing he smoked a few cigars now and then as he pulled a match from his pocket and struck the tinder, igniting the torch and lighting the way.

Skeletons and corpses lined the sides of the passage, neatly tucked away in half-rotted boxes and some cocooned in wrappings.  "This looks quite promising,  C'mon.  I don't quite like fire, but I'll risk it.  Just hold onto that book and don't let it open up.  It'll try some more of it's strange hocus pocus stuff on you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn