Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Half Expected Visit (Moonie)

Started by Brisinger987, May 02, 2013, 01:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisinger987

Xerordir stalked Tirial's streets, being careful not to let people see his mask. He kept his hood up, his head down and his feet swift. It was early morning, with people transitioning around him. The sight was unnerving. If any of them noticed his gloves or face, and were from Thanatos, he would be instantly reported to the authorities. News had spread from the lands, news of the black sorcerer returning to Thanatos. Indeed he had visited Thanatos in the past months, but he had no intention of going back in the coming years. That he had summoned all manners of the undead and demons meant nothing to him. He had killed no-one yet his crimes went duly noted. That was an annoying aspect of being a dark mage. He had to be discreet about what he did, lest he be hunted again.

But his purpose today was not to summon, or sacrifice, or plot, or scheme. He had heard that a powerful noble family had possession of a book he direly wanted. If he had this book, or had a long while to study it, he may be able to find some dark secrets, locked away and hidden by the Fae texts that the Serenian people had inherited. This was something he needed to do. And if he learned a dark secret to, say, immortality. He would do all in his power to achieve it.

The household he was to visit was the household was that of the Lancaster family. The heiress to the house was the Lady Nadya, and the master of the house was Marielle Lancaster, a powerful noblewoman. Rumor has it, that they were descended from Sirens. He hoped that in the house library there would be some magical texts of some significance to him. No doubt that any black magic, or schools of magic with which he had familiarity, would have to be uncoded and reverse engineered thoroughly to be used or recorded as simple instructions.

He arrived at the door of the vast estate. He knocked twice, considering his options as a greeting. A servant met him at the door. "Good day, young servant. I am a scholar looking to study rare texts. May I speak with the Lady Nadya Lancaster?" The servant nodded and showed him inside. "I will fetch my mistress now." The servant spoke coolly. He then scurried of into the depths of the beautiful Serenian building.

Over the 13 years of travelling, Xerordir had found that Serenian and Connlaothian buildings had the most beauty to their design. Perhaps because both peoples had fled the Fell, they had kept the same features of the architecture that made both types of building so beautiful. He examined a few paintings on the wall while waiting for both servant and master to return.

Zero

Nadya had begun the day much like any other. She had been awoken by a maid two hours before dawn, from there it was into the tub, and after that the maids helped her dress before curling her hair and making it up into a fancy bun. Everything had to be just so, her hair, her dress, her make-up, absolutely everything had to be perfectly in place. In the end she knew it wouldn't matter, her grandmother would still find a million faults, a million things that she would have done better.

Today it was a beautiful and elegantly flowing silk gown of a deep purple. It was a lighter garment, with wide but smooth skirts, rather than bulky layers her grandmother favored in the winter. Likewise, the sleeves split from the wrist to the elbow, trailing frilled fabric in a stylish way. A wide, golden belt studded with amethysts loosely encircled her waist. Golden roses were embroidered around the hems of her dress, and on the matching slippers. She looked the embodiment of a lady.

As soon as all that was done and it took until dawn to make her "presentable" according to her grandmother's standards, she was pretty much then ignored the rest of the day. Her grandmother would look over her at breakfast to make sure she wasn't going to embarrass her with her appearance. Once that agony was over, Nadya would escape to the library and that was where she would stay the rest of the day, if possible.

Today she had barely more than sat down before a servant came to inform her that someone had asked for her and that he was awaiting her in the grand hall. It was most unusual. Who would ask after her? Perhaps he was mistaken and actually wanted her grandmother? That had to be it, because there was no reason for someone to be calling on her, let alone a man.

Her light slippers were silent on the marble floors as she walked into the entrance hall. Spotting the heavily cloaked figure she dropped into a slight curtsey. "Good morning, Sir. We were not expecting company, my servant says you asked for me, did you not mean my grandmother, the Lady Marielle?"

Brisinger987

He looked over to see a stunning sight. A beautiful young Serenian woman walking over in a beautiful purple dress. He gave a small bow. "Lady Nadya. No my lady, I have heard that you are much more sociable than your grandmother and much more passionate about knowledge." He smiled. He couldn't help but notice that she seemed rather over shadowed. Just from what she had already said he could conclude that her and her grandmother's relationship was strained at best. He had already considered what he was about to say, and decided that he was going to go for the scholar guise.

"You see m'lady, I am a scholar from overseas, studying texts of Fae origins, and have heard your family possess a large collection of old texts. I have travelled most of the continent looking for ancient texts of value, recording them for reproduction at my university." He took a pause to allow her to process that. He needed to tread carefully. One wrong step and his cover was blown. Then he remembered to introduce himself. "Ah, but of course, I forgot to introduce myself, I am Xerordir. A pleasure to meet you m'lady." He bowed again.

Zero

Her more sociable than her grandmother? Wherever had he heard such a thing? Nadya's grandmother was quite fond of being a socialite, while she preferred to remain tucked away quietly in her room or her library. Her grandmother seemed content to leave it that way most of the time as well, only parading Nadya out when she wished to impress other nobles or it was simply socially expected for her to be present. Now about the other thing...

"I...well yes, I am quite a deal more fond of books than my grandmother." Her grandmother thought books were a silly waste of time. It was a wonder that her grandmother even let her read as much as she did, but she supposed her grandmother just liked keeping her out of sight and out of mind. Large violet eyes blinked owlishly as he explained that he was a scholar interested in old texts that might be contained in their library. It made since, their library was one of the finer collections, and one of the oldest.

"Xerordir, what an unusual name, overseas you said?" She wondered where overseas he came from, he seemed a strange and mysterious fellow, and very tall, she had to look up very far up just to feel she was addressing him properly. "That sounds quite interesting, but if you're wishing to pursue our library you would need grandmother's permission. Everything here technically belongs to her, I'm afraid I don't have the authority to grant you access to our family archives."

Brisinger987

He frowned slightly, but his mask hid his expression of distaste. He had hoped to go through unofficial channels to attain higher magics. He recomposed himself, preparing to try and keep his visit here secret. "Are you sure that you would not be able to let me at least browse your collection? Then I can see if any need to be studied or rerecorded, with your grandmothers permission of course." He smiled grimly under his mask, preferring the safety of anonymity to the usual unmasking. She was exceptionally beautiful, her bright violet eyes meeting his own blood red ones often, for brief glimpses when he raised his head.

If he was not here in pursuit of dark, terrible power, he may have tried to woo her, but he had not felt love's beauties for himself. He would even have made attempts to get to know her as a friend if his mind was not corrupted by the darkness in his soul.

Zero

Nadya frowned, she was fidgeting slightly and she let her eyes glanced towards one of the archways leading from the entrance hall. His request to study their family collection didn't seem odd or suspicious, at least not to her, but she wondered at his reluctance to gain her grandmother's permission. Of course it was probably as simple as knowing Marielle's reputation as an unpleasant person to deal with.

"Well...I really should make sure grandmother's okay with it. I'll be in trouble if I let you roam the house without her knowing..." She chewed on her bottom lip out of nervous habit, and then shook her head. "I'm sure grandmother will say yes, it is such a humble request. I could let you wait in the library while I ask her. You won't even have to deal with her; I doubt she'll have much interest in what you're doing, aside from getting to brag that foreign scholars are studying her library."

Brisinger987

He could see the direction of this path. It was best that he accepted that he would have to maneuver the official channels, even if that meant that he would have to deal with Marielle. He instead began to think of how he would explain why he was wearing a mask. He could lie and say that his god demanded it of him, or try to make up a half believable lie. If she demanded that he removed his mask, he had to oblige, lest he be unable to study their library. "Very well if you feel obligation to tell your grandmother. However, if you would like to keep me company in the library it would be welcome." That last part was a mistake. He had not meant to say that. It helped him maintain a guise of scholarship, but only hindered his actual task. She was beautiful but he did not need that distraction. He had not fallen for her yet though, but he felt his feelings fade into existence for once, but he could still kill her and her family if required. Only just.

He felt memories pour into his soul, seeing the faces of his victims, slowly crawling back to when he had killed his own sister. To feel that pulsing rush of power as he drove the knife into that witch's throat. To remember the thrill of running. Then his mind shot back to the present. He hadn't killed a man in two days. New record! He felt smug that he had gone two days. Now to keep it up.

Zero

Nadya seemed relieved as he agreed that asking her grandmother was for the best. It really was, she didn't want to get into trouble yet again. She was always in trouble for one reason or another, it was just best to not give any more reason for Marielle to chastise her.  At the invitation to join him in the library the ghost of a smile crossed the pale young woman's lips, she dipped into another curtsey. "Of course, Sir, it would be my pleasure. Perhaps I can assist you in your search. My servant will show you the way, and I will join you shortly, after I have informed grandmother you're here."

Almost immediately a servant appeared from where they had been still and silent a short distance away. The woman appeared to be a maid of some sort. She curtsied much more deeply to him. "Right this way to the library, sir." She would lead him through the halls, richly hung with beautiful tapestries. The library was a large room, and as she opened the double doors to show him inside, he would find himself faced with a room decorated from floor to ceiling in books. The spines ranged from new to old and worn, but all were obviously meticulously maintained.

There were books on every subject imaginable, from sciences, art, theater, poetry, fiction, and everything in between. An entire section was devoted to mythology, history, and magic. These were, of course, the more tame magical texts. The oldest and greatest (and more forbidden) books were secured away from the main collection.

Brisinger987

He gasped at the massive collection of texts. He thanked the maid, bowed politely and watched her leave. As soon as she left, he removed the mask and looked at the mass of books. One had to contain something he didn't know. If they didn't, the house was no loss if it burned down. But to go through this library would take days. But if he was lying about abroard, he could lie that magic was commonplace in his college. Yes, that seemed good.

He scanned the wall nearest to him. He saw one book that caught his eye. A History Of Necromancy, by Jerome Nodork. He felt he needed to have a look at the book closely, make sure no rituals were hidden in this book. He removed his Black Book from his cloak, and opened it to a page that related to Necromancy. This page made him remember his first Necromantic summoning. He remembered it ate the sacrifice, and the client. He found that memory so amusing. He rarely felt emotion, and when he did, his memories flooded back to him. He was lucky that he had been able to escape without being branded as an untouchable. So he could go back without being completely distrusted. But he was always chased out. He didn't watch the time as it passed, delving deep into this book. It contained no instructions that he didn't know for summoning. But he found a flame fan spell that he did not know. He memorised the enchantment and created a flame proof field and tried it. A massive gout of fire sparked from his hands in a spectacular show of orange tongues, licking the air. He laughed as he repeated the action, happy with the feeling of power.

Zero

As soon as Xerordir was out of sight, Nadya moved gracefully through the halls in another direction. It was still fairly early in the morning hours; her grandmother would be in her sitting room. The meeting went well, all things considered, she was scolded for bothering Marielle, although all her grandmother was doing was writing letters. Nadya skillfully maneuvered the conversation in a way to make her grandmother the most agreeable, and with putting emphasis on the prestige of having a foreign university studying their library, she was able to gain Marielle's permission for this scholar to study their library at his leisure.

Satisfied, she made her way back through the halls, finally coming back to the great double doors that opened into the library. Pushing one open quietly she peeked inside to see if the mysterious stranger had already begun his studying. Her violet eyes went wide and she gave a sharp gasp as she witnessed the gout of flame. That was certainly unexpected, and quite alarming! Playing with fire around so many books was dangerous, well; playing with fire to begin with was dangerous.

"What are you doing?" She asked; her tone one of astonishment more than any anger as she hurriedly swept into the room and closed the door. If a servant saw that and told her grandmother she would have thrown a fit and probably have thrown him out.

Brisinger987

He heard her voice and lost all forms of concentration from pure shock. The flame and field both disapparated and he stood, stunned. He couldn't speak, all that came out of his mouth was the repeated starts of multiple sentences. He could understand her shock and anger, visible in her purple eyes, which stared, wide at him. He stumbled backwards as his words continued to fail him.

Finally, he spoke. "I-I-I-I can explain! I was merely attempting magic I found in this book! I had a fire shield up! It was perfectly safe!" For the first time in years, true panic entered his mind, and he felt scared. In the light of everything he had done in his life, he had not been this afraid before.

Zero

Nadya stopped, back pressed lightly against the doors to the library as she openly gaped at him. Had she actually frightened him? She didn't think of herself as very intimidating. She was a small woman, and he had just been wielding fire. As far as he knew, she didn't have any abilities at all. Not that she even knew if she had any magical abilities. That was something else her grandmother didn't approve of her studying.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to startle you." She was still staring at him owlishly, but it was obvious that she wasn't actually angry. "I would certainly hope it was safe, we would have been terribly upset if you burned our entire collection by being careless. I'm just glad that I'm the one that walked in here. Grandmother would have had you removed. Please don't, ah, practice in here. If there is a spell you find interesting that you want to try, please do it outside and away from the books. They're priceless."

Brisinger987

She seemed almost as frightened as him. Startle him? If she hadn't he may have burnt the place down, so he figured he might as well mention it. "If you hadn't startled me so badly the place could have caught fire, so be grateful you did." He smiled, hoping that she understood his point well. Realising he wasn't actually putting the book back, he hurried to it, closed it and put it back on the shelf. He scanned the shelves, and found a book, entitled Elemental Magic Through The Aeons by numerous authors. He hoped this book contained interesting information. He decided what to say, choosing carefully. "M'lady, might I ask of your age? I would imagine that a woman of your age would have inherited the household already."

Zero

Could have caught fire? Nadya paled slightly at the words. This library was the only place in the world she could find some form of peace; to think of it actually burning was unsettling. "It would still have been better to not have startled you. Startling you could have caused a fire as well." At least she thought so, she didn't know a great deal about magic. She loved reading everything, no subject was boring, but she didn't really read any of the magic books because her grandmother didn't like it. Nadya didn't want to lose privilege to all her books over one subject.

When he inquired about her age she blushed slightly, finally moving into the room and gracefully taking her normal reading chair, fussing over her skirts to make sure they were smoothly flowing, but it was mostly just an excuse to procrastinate answering the question. "I am almost through my seventeenth year, Sir Xerordir. Truthfully, I don't know if I will ever come into an inheritance. My grandmother will not let her authority go for as long as she lives, and she would take any heir before me. I am only set to inherit everything because there simply is no one else."

Brisinger987

"Only 17? One must conclude you are still a maiden then." He paused, thinking about what he would say. "I am just into my twenty fifth year. Ah! This book looks interesting." The book was titled Primal Magic Throughout The Ages, by Christoph Notru. Perhaps Primal Magic was the answer to his search. Then he remembered the book he had come for. He set the book down on a table and began a minor searching incantation. Black magic provided a spell for every minor action, utilising magic to make life easier, and longer. A small purple orb appeared in his hand. "Find me the book called Death's Embrace." Then he paused, wondering how he would explain the Black Book and his seeking of a book on Necromancy. He decided to save the lie until she asked.

"You have heard the rumors of the Dark Magician that has fled from Thanatos?" He gave her a reassuring look. He could not lie if she guessed it was him, because he was that man. All he could do was comfort her.

The purple orb wandered the shelves, looking for the book. In reality he had summoned an imp, trapped in an orb of magic, forced to do the bidding of it's master until released back into the hell from whence it came. This orb was a simple piece of black magic and could be commanded to do almost anything. When told to attack the purple orb became a humanoid creature, with two bladed arms, and a jaw of magical teeth. When told to search, it gained an eye. When told to destroy, it could self destruct. And it took no energy from him whatsoever.

Zero

Nadya inclined her head slightly at the comment about being a maiden. She wasn't really surprised to hear his age, the man was a scholar, if anything, she was impressed to hear how young he was. Curious now, she stood back up and walked a little closer to peer at the book he had mentioned. Primal magic? Just from what she had seen, it was obvious that Xerordir was more than a mere scholar; he was also a mage of some sort. In Serendipity, mages were widely accepted, so the fact that he could use magic did not frighten her.

"A dark magician, you say? No, I haven't heard such news. We don't hear much about Thanatos, to be honest." Nadya had heard the name of the book he had mentioned before the purple orb began to glide around the room in its futile search. That book, Nadya well knew, was not kept in the general collection. "That book you're looking for...why? It is not a scholarly book, grandmother says it is evil."

Brisinger987

Inadvertantly he had just damaged his cover. He turned to the book shelf, considering what answer would best work. "I am... Researching the effects of evil on the soul." He had not intended to be heard when saying the book's name. He wondered if he had now made his true objectives clear, or given away who he was.

"I met the man on my trip back from visiting Thanatos. He boarded the same ferry as me. He showed me things I should not have learnt. When I returned to my college, I was deemed tainted, and have been purposed as an experiment. I am to try and resist my own corruption as I learn these magics, and should I return with a dark and terrible secret, I am redeemed." He hoped that she would not piece the puzzle together. He had given her half the pieces. If she could put work the others out then he would have blown his cover. But he had no cause to lie. He was corrupted, and he liked it. The only lie he had placed was his guise as a scholar. If she rooted that out, he would simply take what he wanted.

The purple orb pinged lightly as it hovered in front of a wall, a flashed a light on the wall. He walked over to the wall and studied it. "What's this, a house secret?" He murmured lightly.

Zero

Nadya felt a twinge of doubt, perhaps even fear. The effects of evil on one's soul. She couldn't even imagine. Although the answer seemed obvious, if one let evil into their soul they would become corrupted and evil. Who would want to study such an awful thing? Perhaps allowing this stranger into their home had been a terrible mistake, but what could be done about it now? The book he was looking for was hidden, there was a reason it was hidden. It was a dark book, and evil book. The magic in that book should never be used upon others, it was an abomination.

"That seems a cruel experiment. Are you not afraid of what will become of you if you travel down such a dark path? Your soul could be irrevocably damaged. Is it worth it?" Oh if only Nadya knew the truth behind things. She could be quite naïve when it came to some things. Including thinking that people were fundamentally good. Despite all that, she seemed genuinely concerned about him. Then again, she knew the evil of that book first hand.

The purple orb seemed to get excited when it came to a certain section of shelves. Nadya's purple eyes widened slightly. That was not possible! She hurriedly moved to the shelf, putting herself between it and Xerordir, her violet eyes were wide and fearful. "You wished to see the library, and you've seen the library. Permission was not given to allow you to poke around wherever you wanted."

She raised her chin, eyes flashing defiantly. Nadya was not an imposing figure, but she seemed perhaps more formidable than a person might initially assume. She lowered her voice, her tone earnest. "That book killed my parents, please leave it be."

Brisinger987

The orb stayed where it was as he studied the books on the shelf. One of them must have been something secret. Then he processed what she said. "I am corrupted, yes. I will redeem my soul. I need this book." Then she mentioned it had killed her parents.

His memory swelled, remembering the sight of his mother's naked, bloody corpse. He remembered the hooded figure, cursing and swearing at his mother's body. He remembered the Book, glowing purple, the wind howling through the jungle trees. Suddenly he was there again. He took the memorised step forward. His right foot. A branch broke underneath his foot. The hooded figure turned, his blood red eyes glowering at the young Xerordir. Then he fled, leaving behind the book. He remembered the tears streaming down his face as he recognised his mother.

Then he came back to the present. "I... I'm sorry. I didn't know." He walked over to put a hand on her shoulder. He too had lost his parents to evil. "Do you want the truth?" He was speaking things but not thinking. He was actually besmitten by this girl, and he was just talking cause that was what he could do, he forgot his magic, the orb, the secret shelf, he was talking to her. I'm not going to lie, not now, he thought. There was no cause to lie, and he wasn't going to. Him and Nadya shared that they had lost their parents. That was enough for now.

Zero

Large, sad violet eyes watched him closely, only a slight flicker of fear deep within them. Nadya was a little afraid, knowing now that it was that cursed book he was after. Only someone with wicked intentions would ever mess with something so vile. If he was evil, then just defying him, getting in his way, was putting her life in grave danger. Someone like that would not hesitate to squash someone that stood between them and their goals.

Rather than immediate retaliation, Xerordir seemed to turn inward, going somewhere far away within his mind. Had she said something to cause such a reaction? She knew she must have, apparently something had struck some kind of chord with him. Perhaps that the book had killed her parents? Truthfully it had been a riot that landed the killing blows, but the riot was caused by the book, so she blamed the book in its entirety.

Nadya recoiled slightly as the tall man finally snapped out of whatever waking dream he had entered, flinching as his hand touched her shoulder. The spark of confidence had snuffed out, her face and eyes downcast, not looking up at him. At first she had been afraid, but he had apologized, and he didn't seem angry or malicious. She was still wary of him. He had deceived her to gain access to this book, why would he stop pretending now? She doubted his pursuit of the book would end so abruptly. "The truth...if you please."