Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hair today (Moonie)

Started by wolfie, May 05, 2013, 05:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

She wasn't sure what possessed her to go out like this. She was feeling as bad as usual and yet her stomach wouldn't die down. She knew it wasn't nerves as she had nothing to worry about here. Nobody expected her to be in this place. All the same though she felt she should be wary of her surroundings. No her stomach was probably due to the fact that she hadn't eaten in about a week now.

Smelling around and trying to figure out the best game there without running into hunters she got another scent she hadn't expected to find. Shying away from it for now she decided to head for some game. It was time to hunt.

Having tracked down a deer and finding that perfect for her, Amaris went carefully in for the kill. She just killed the animal when the smell came back to her from earlier. There it was closer than ever and she wondered what was up.

Did you need something? She thought to the other wolf not sure if this one was stalking or not.

Zero

As usual, Nisha wandered aimlessly through the Riverlands. Her nose was constantly sniffing the air and the ground for something, anything edible. Life could be rough on any lone wolf, for Nisha, it was almost a guaranteed death sentence.  The only reason she had made it as long as she had was because of scavenging. Picking at the scraps of other predators, and of humans, was a lowly existence, but it was all she could do to keep herself alive at this point.

There were very interesting scents in the area; that of another wolf, and the smell of deer. Just the thought of deer had her drooling softly. The last time she had tasted the sweet, fresh meat of a ripe young doe was before Gavin had left her behind. She sorely missed having her brother to hunt for her.

Her paws silently carried her towards the scent of deer and wolf, until they grew so strong she knew the other wolf had to be hunting. Not knowing how the other would react to her presence as she breathed in the rich scent of blood, which had just recently mingled with the other scents in the air, Nisha remained cautious and kept what she hoped was a safe distance.

Just one wolf surely couldn't finish off an entire deer. She could wait until the hunter left and then go in to see what remains she could manage to ease her hunger with. When the other would spoke to her, she crouched down, ears flattening against her head.

Yes. I was waiting for you to finish taking your fill and was going to see if there was anything left once you had gone. It was an honest answer.

wolfie

She was about to dig in thinking it best not to wait on the deer to get tough. Fresh kill always tasted best fresh after all. She wondered more about the other wolf. She heard what the female said and thought that rich. Sure she wouldn't eat all of this right now, but who said she intended to share her kill?

Is there something wrong with you that hunting doesn't work out? Aren't quick enough or something? She thought back tearing into the flesh of the deer already. She was eating the first bite and savoring the flavor along with all the blood. It was a clean kill, which wasn't so easy sometimes.

Zero

Well Nisha didn't really expect anything, certainly not for the other wolf to share the kill, but most predators left some scraps behind, the less desirable bits, but beggars couldn't be choosers and she'd become accustomed to making do. To be honest she was surprised the other female hadn't flat out tried to run her off.

My heart is weak. It can't sustain me through a hunt. If Nisha's heart worked properly she would be able to run faster than any wolf. Her body was built for speed, not for strength. As it was, she had never really known the thrill of the wind rushing past her as she chased her prey. Without Gavin to feed her she was weaker than ever before. Stubbornly she knew she just had to hang on a while longer. He would be back for her. She just knew it.

wolfie

Amaris heard it in her head and thought it was a shame. She wondered how this wolf made it if nobody was looking out for her. She had a few thoughts run through her head before sighing. She knew what she had to do it just wasn't in her to let someone run hungry.

There is plenty for  both of us and you don't have to wait. Come up and eat. If it isn't enough I can always catch us something else. She thought being nice for once. This wolf probably knew this place better than she did. If anything she could tell Amaris where to avoid and where the good places to hunt are. Just cause her heart didn't work didn't mean her nose was incapable.

What's your name? How long have you been here?

Zero

For a few moments Nisha hesitated, not sure if it was a trick of some kind. Not only had this unknown wolf offered to share her kill, she'd offered to hunt again if Nisha was still hungry afterwards. Hunger wouldn't allow her to hesitate long, though. Slowly she crept forward, keeping low to the ground and her long tail tucked between her legs submissively.

She was a strange-looking creature, with anatomy that seemed a mix between canine and feline. Her body was built more like a cheetah than a wolf, but her head seemed more wolfish. Her fur was grey with white along her underside, but the black spots of a cheetah ran along her back, sides, legs, and her face. A very strange wolf, indeed.

My name is Nisha Ulrich and I've been in this area long enough to have seen the full moon rise six times." She really wasn't very good at tracking time, but if she had seen the full moon six times then she had been her for six months, she was pretty sure. She eyed the deer with a burning hunger. You're sure it's alright?

wolfie

Amaris noted what came towards her and the dead deer. She was a little shocked to see this gal having spots instead of just being a normal wolf. She seemed very slow and not really sure of what was going on.

Nice to meet you Nisha, I'm Amaris. I just arrived here today actually so don't know the area well enough. Perhaps you could tell me the best spots to keep away from hunters? Yes there is plenty here I like sharing when I can. I don't often see many wolves though. She thought eating slowly to not only savor the food but to make sure she didn't eat too much so that Nisha could get some.

When was the last time you ate? I can always bag another deer. Sorry my manners probably need some work I haven't had conversation with anything in a long time. I've pretty much been by myself running and sleeping when I pleased. Are you part of a pack? If so why aren't they here looking out for you? Amaris thought not liking this one bit. She had a feeling this one had been abandoned by a pack. That only made her mad.

Zero

Nisha flicked her ears slightly as she listened to the other wolf, she didn't speak to other wolves often, and she found herself curious about Amaris. Hunger outweighed curiosity, however, and with confirmation that it was okay, she moved forward the last few feet and started eating slowly. I can do that. I know where the best places to bed down are, where to find the best water, and I know all the game trails.

All that knowledge had seemed fairly useless when she couldn't hunt, but if she could direct a wolf towards the best locations, and one that was willing to share, then it could greatly benefit them both. Not to mention that Nisha was desperately lonely. Ever since the day she was born she'd always had Gavin there to look out for her.

Your manners are fine. I haven't had a meal like this in a long time. There was a farm about a month ago, one of the cows died and I managed to get some of that before the farmer came to chase me away. I've been scavenging for as long as I've been here. It was my brother, Gavin, and me, but I was slowing him down and got left behind.

wolfie

Amaris listened as they both ate. It was good having another wolf to talk to. She had been lonely herself, but getting used to it. She wasn't sure who to trust any more. Not after what happened to her pack. She was glad there had been no questions about that. She wasn't sure she was ready to talk about it.

Wonderful. How about we make a deal? You share your information and I share my meals? No tricks just survival. She thought thinking this ideal. She was glad that this wolf had come after food.

Yeah humans don't seem to like us much. If we meet up with your brother I plan to give him an earful. You shouldn't have been left behind no matter how slow he had to go. No matter how slow we go I'll stick around. She thought feeling useful again. It was good to be needed no matter what the cause. Better than just roaming the world wondering what to do next.

Zero

What Amaris proposed seemed like a deal that was leaning heavily in Nisha's favor. She certainly couldn't complain about such an arrangement. Not only could she keep her belly fuller than it had been in a long time, but she also would not have to suffer alone all the time. There would be someone to keep her company, to break the long silence. Deal! Even if I can't help hunt, two pairs of eyes, ears, and two noses, are better than one, right?

The idea of this female giving her brother an 'earful' as she had put it, made her a bit uneasy, though. Gavin wouldn't like that, not at all. Despite him abandoning her to pursue his own means, she couldn't help but feel the need to make excuses for him. I appreciate that, but it isn't his fault. He just needed to press on. He will be back for me. Gavin would never leave me forever. He's trying to find us a new home. The sooner he can do that, the sooner he can take better care of us.

wolfie

She liked that Nisha didn't hesitate to make the deal. It was the best thing to happen all day well right up there next to getting some food. She thought that Nisha might agree with that if she voiced it in any way.

I agree two are better than one. She thought as they ate. She was getting full having eaten more recent than Nisha. She stopped and started to clean up. It didn't do any good for a wolf to look anything but her best.

I'm done full that is. So he will return you are certain of this? Good. She thought then sighed she didn't like this. She knew this was family to Nisha though and it wouldn't be right if the gal didn't stand up for him.

Did he think anything of where food would come from while he was gone? Did he do any planning before just going to find something better? Or did he just leave you so he could come back as soon as possible? She thought wondering how this went down. She had first hand experience that even the best laid plans go wrong.

Zero

He will return. As long as he breathes he would come back for me. Despite everything, Nisha had a great deal of faith in her brother. Perhaps it was just her being naïve. Of course, she didn't consider herself abandoned, but he had been gone much longer than she thought he would.

Nisha tried not to scarf the food, a meal would do her no good if she made herself sick by eating too much too fast. Even so she had already put away several pounds of meat. It eased the ache of hunger greatly. Reluctantly she stepped back, licking her chops, muzzle and face smeared with blood she shook herself lightly. She would be hungry again quickly, with her body trying to recover from starvation, but it would be much easier going with another wolf to help her acquire food.

He should have been back by now; it has been much longer than expected. I don't think he meant to be gone so long. Perhaps I should try to find him instead of just waiting...

wolfie

Amaris felt the faith she had in her brother. It was an amazing thing something she had given up on was faith in another along with love. She was glad someone could still believe in those things. She wondered if perhaps one day she too could have those back. She didn't think so.

There is no rush and we still have plenty left on this deer. Let's relax here for a little bit I think I ate too much don't want to hurt myself running too early. A nap sound nice, yes? She thought not sure if they were safe where they were. She knew Nisha would let her know if they needed to leave.

What is your brother like?

Zero

Nisha flicked her ears lightly as she listened to Amaris, the other she-wolf was right, of course. She shouldn't be hasty about running off to chase after her brother. More than likely all she would accomplish would be to get herself lost. Huffing softly she stood up and looked around, sniffing the air, before moving away from the kill a few feet and laying down.

Yes, rest sounds good. This is a safe enough spot. All we'll have to worry about are the vultures and maybe a coyote or two. Easily chased off scavengers. She sighed and closed her eyes as Amaris asked about her brother. It was difficult to find words to describe him to another wolf. He is strong, a good hunter, a bit impatient at times, and he can be selfish too. I've heard him be called a bully before, but he is just a dominant male. Not a bully.

wolfie

She had laid down not far from the food herself. She watched as Nisha moved a little bit aways listening to what the other wolf was saying. It felt good being full and not alone for once. She wondered what other little things she missed.

I'm not worried about coyotes or vultures. She thought knowing what it was like fending your food off from other predators. She remembered doing so another time not long ago in another place. Of course that had been completely different. That time she had to outsmart humans.

Sounds like a leader to a degree. Sounds like hurt pride in calling him a bully. That's too bad if they can't see him for what he really is. Nothing wrong with a dominant male. She thought remembering a few in her pack.

Bullies I can't stand. I am not worried too much about your brother though he had his reasons for moving along. If he hadn't left you behind we wouldn't have met. A blessing in disguise in my book. She thought relaxing a little. The conversation had been good thus far, and she was hoping it stayed that way.

Zero

Nisha wasn't worried about smaller scavengers either, even as weak as she was, just flashing her teeth with a growl was enough to fend off annoying birds, and the coyotes were a little harder for her, because of how bold they could be, but generally even they would not risk clashing with her. She had learned well how to bluff against them.

Her long tail flickered contently, moving much as a cat might. Her ears were perked forward as she listened to Amaris, liking the sound of another wolf voice in her head after so long without anyone to speak to and understand. Humans didn't understand like wolves did. Yes, they did not like that he was larger and more assertive than them. They did not want to fall in line, as they should have. So we went our own way.

That was a new idea; that being left behind was a blessing in disguise. She had gone hungry for months, but yes, she had met a new friend. Nisha wondered what Gavin would think of that. If her brother came back and found her traveling with another wolf, would he be pleased or angry? She honestly wasn't sure. When Gavin comes for me, would you go with us? I'm sure he would not mind having another hunter along. We could have a real pack.

wolfie

She could tell Nisha was happy just by laying there and flicking her tail. She listened when the other wolf talked wondering why she hadn't sought out someone again in all of this. Sure she was hurt, but that was no excuse not to find someone to talk to even for a couple of hours.

I don't know, Nisha, I could try. It's been awhile since I've been with a pack I'm not sure I'd remember how that works. I didn't leave my pack they left me, but not because they had a choice in the matter. Humans. She thought sounding sad. She figured Nisha could put the pieces of that together.

Zero

After Amaris spoke a silence grew between them as Nisha did not answer right away, instead mulling over what she had just been told. What if someone took Gavin away from her in such a way? She would have been devastated beyond consolation. She couldn't imagine the pain the other female must have gone through to lose an entire pack so viciously.

I am so sorry about your pack. She finally said, an air of sadness about her. What if Gavin had been gone so long because he had been killed or hurt? That thought was disturbing, so she pushed it aside. I know it would be hard for you, because you must miss your pack very much, but at least if you stayed with me, you would not be alone.

wolfie

Thank you. The past is what it is though. Written in stone, but the future now that is something that can be changed. I am tired of being alone I'll gladly stay with you. As for another pack all I can do is try. She thought not sure what else to say on this subject. She didn't want to explain why she had been spared when her pack was gone.

Do you think your brother found a new place for you? Could be its so far away he just hasn't made it the distance back yet. I would like to meet him he sounds... intriguing.

Zero

Nisha didn't press the subject; it was obviously a difficult one for Amaris, and for good reason. To lose an entire pack, to be the only one left, it had to be so very lonely and heartbreaking. Still, she began to purr at the thought of Amaris staying with her. A strange sound to come from a wolf, for sure. Still, Nisha couldn't help her blending of feline characteristics with her canine ones. I am glad you will. It will be nice to have a friend.

Her mind wandered to her brother. Maybe Amaris was right, maybe Gavin had simply traveled so far that it was taking him a long time to get back. It was certainly possible, he was much stronger than her, he could probably cover a great distance without her holding him back. I think if he is well, then yes, he would have found a good place for us to call our own. A territory with lots of good hunting, fresh springs, and dens to sleep in. I can't wait for him to come back. I'm sure he'll be happy to meet you. Especially since you've helped me.