Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

High-ho, the merry-oh, a hunting we will go! [Spicyyyy!]

Started by Rhindeer, May 27, 2013, 08:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Faolán was exhausted by the time it was done, and his clothes were gross and sweaty. That was certainly more strenuous than sword practice! With a satisfied sigh, he let the hatchet drop to the ground and peeled off his gloves to let his palms dry out.

He chuckled at Killian's talk of a report. "Why, of course it's important enough to report on! We just slayed our first tree! Man against wood! That's worth notin'." Then, with another laugh, he moved closer to Killian and brushed at his cheek.

"Ya had something there."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Killian looked down and blushed.
"Yeah, man versus tree, and I ended up wearing half of it," he said with a good natured laugh, brushing the extra wood chips off of his shoulder, then more sweat from his brow. Then with a sigh, he turned to his pack.
"Guess I can get the coal and paper out and start writing. Though my hand writing isn't very good."
So wtih a sigh, he took perch upon the ground, sitting indian style and began to scribble out what they had seen.

"There, I wrote it.About a mile outside the city, tree was down. The brave men of our squadron defeated it." ANd Killian gave a look. "I guess that's all there is to report!" and as he wiped at his face agian and began to put the supplies away, he got charcoal on his other cheek.

OOC: lol
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Faolán tapped his lips and tilted his head, pretending to study the paper even though he couldn't read or write much more than his name. "It's lackin' a certain..." He waved a hand in the air, groping for the word. "Dramatic tension," he said, and grinned.

"Needs more blood 'n' guts! Or sap, at least," he said, regarding his gloved hands, all sticky with the stuff. "More danger! It was awfully risky, after all. There could've been spiders."

And then he peered up at Killian, who had smeared charcoal across his cheek, and let out a surprised giggle before he slapped a hand to his mouth--and got sap all over it. Eugh! Peeling his gloved hand away, he grimaced and let out a sigh. "We are so smooth. Ah, guess we better keep goin', huh? See if we can't find ourselves a ferocious fern!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Killian put the report away with a laugh.
"Ferocious, right. If anything, we should look out for thorns!" and with a shake o fhis head, he began to pick up his sack and slung it across his back. "Come on, there's a lot more miles to cover and if we want to get back on time, we should keep going."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

"Oh, don't say that. A rose bush might jump us!" Faolán said with a snicker, putting his hatchet away and slinging his pack over his shoulder.

Miles to go, and this was the most excitement they'd had.

With a bounce in his step, he started to lead the way. He hadn't stopped to think of what might happen if they were late. "Would they leave us?" he asked. "If we didn't show up in time? Would we get in trouble?"

visualspice

Killian thought the words over carefully before he shrugged.
"I sure hope not," and he smiled easily over at his new friend, taking him before he cleared his throat. "The orders were to go as far north as the city of Tamus, then clear to the mage camps." He rubbed at the light sweat on his brow and sighed. "Gods.. to think they make people march this road. Though I guess it's not so bad." Though he scratched lightly at his chin at the thought. "I just wonder how long it ought to take us. We only have provisions to last for so long.... so hopefully it's no more than  a few weeks."
Though then again, at least he was doing the knightly thing, right? Helping out his country and all that. Truthfully, he thought he'd be doing.... well.. more than this.

Rhindeer

"The mage camps..." Faolán mused out loud, and gave a little shudder. He'd gotten hung up on those words as soon as Killian had uttered them. "Whatcha think those are like? I mean...like..."

He glanced up at the other soldier. "Have you ever met a mage?"

visualspice

Killian blinked at the question, but shook his head.
"No, I can't say that I have. Though I imagine they must be sort of like you or I. I've only ever seen a few people with the mark, and well, they just seemed like normal people to me. Then again, I don't even fully understand magic, and I think that's what makes it so dangerous."

Rhindeer

"I don't really get what it is, either. Except like...that they can call fire from the sky and command lightning and turn people to animals and stuff," Faolán said, scratching his chin. "I met a mage once, though. Marked one. She actually helped me after I got torn up, lived in a church and whatnot. She was real scary lookin', horns and scales and all, but she was pretty nice."

"Course," he added, "that was a church mage. I'd reckon that lot's different."

visualspice

"Horns and scales!?" Killian visibly paled. "I've never seen such a person before." he said, swallowing down the knot in his throat. "I don't think I'd ever believe it, even if I saw it!" He shook his head. "So you said at the church? Angsar's soul... that is.. really something." For he knew not what else to say. Did such people really exist!? She sounded awfully scary, and he hoped they didn't run into scaled people out here!

Rhindeer

"Oh, but she was nice!" Faolán said quickly. "She worked for the Father, and she patched me up after I got attacked! Gosh, to be honest, I might not be here if not for her. I was bleedin' awfully bad."

He scratched the back of his ear and shrugged. Thinking about how close he'd come to death was really uncomfortable, and also surreal.

"But just goes to show, they come in all forms. I mean, she was nice, but just think if someone like her wasn't! Ya wouldn't wanna make a dragon lady angry."

visualspice

Killian, still pale, tugged at the collar of his shirt as he suddenly felt almost suffocatingly hot. Swallowing the knot in his throat, he nodded in agreement.
"Yes, well, perhaps we best press on more quickly to our out post. I'd hate to be caught by anything so cruel out here." And that was the truth!

Flicking a finger at an intch at the tip of his nose, he moved forward again, the pair back on the trail when it began to get dark. They'd hav eto make camp soon, and well, if they were lucky, this is the only time they'd have to do it before the next out post was reached.

Killian knew this road would be tiresome, and volunteered to help set up the fire and asked if Faolan would set up their tent. And as the night came upon them, the sounds of croaking frogsa nd crickets stirred, and a low wind began to howla nd shake the trees over head. The wind made it only slightly difficult for him to start a fire, but he was able to with no trouble at all, and soon a crackling flame had begun. Sitting nearby, he gestured for Faolan to join him in a seat beside the fire.

Rubbing his hands together, he held them over the flames.
"Man, I'm famished. Too bad all we have are stale rolls for dinner." he said, pulling out one of the dried cakes from his inventory and examined it before beginning to gobble it down. It was dry as a bone, and it took many gulps of his water to get it down- but at least it was food.

Rhindeer

Night was both welcomed and...not so much!

Welcomed, because Faolán was exhausted and his feet were throbbing something awful. He couldn't wait to sit down, strip his boots off, and get his toes some air! But first, he had to set up their tent, which he managed well enough. The wind made it tricky, blowing the canvas from his hands and making it flap around, but before long he had the posts dug into the ground and the canvas secured, roughly around the same time that Killian got a fire going.

Tiredly, Faolán trudged over to the fire and plopped onto his bottom next to Killian, and he wasted no time in stripping off his boots, wiggling his toes happily, and warming his feet by the fire.

Following Killian's example, he dug out a roll, wrinkled his nose at it, and took a nibble. Blech. This wasn't going to go down easy. It was dry enough to suck away all the moisture in his mouth, like eating sand. Making a face, he swallowed it down and looked at Killian.

"Well, we got a fire...guess we could always try hunting?" He shrugged, glanced around the area. "Maybe not tonight but um...I sorta know how to make snares! Could maybe catch some breakfast and--"

The wind picked up then, howling ominously through the trees and sending a low branch scraping over the top of their tent. With a yelp of surprise, Faolán jumped and scrambled closer to Killian until their shoulders were touching. Then his cheeks reddened and, looking at Killian, he scooted away a bit.

"Er...sorry...heh. That was just the wind, yeah? Just the wind..."

visualspice

Killian too, was jumping clean out of his skin at the sudden spooky noises of the wind, and afterwards, turned to Faolán with a laugh.

"Don't be sorry. I was startled too." And he shook his head. "All those talks about witches and monsters and things... well, on nights like these, you'd rather forget about 'em!" But he smiled anyway and gave a nod the other soldier's way.

"So why did you join the army? I always wanted to be a knight, to defend the lords and ladies of the land. It always seemed heroic, to think how skilled they were and honorable. It's something I believe my family would be proud of. Though.." he gave a soft laugh and looked down tot he remaining parts of his stale bread roll. "I never realized politics coincided with such a position. It's rare for someone not wealthy to get their foot int he door. You have to be really good with a sword..." And he bit in he roll, chewing the hard bread with a shrug, before speaking through his food. "You have to know just the right people."

Or so it was said. It made him a bit crestfallen to think of it, and the young soldier went silent as he thought it over, blue eyes drifting towards the sky.

Rhindeer

That was really disappointing to hear, and it brought a sad sigh to Faolán's lips. Shoulders hunched, he swallowed a bite of bread and picked absently at the roll as he spoke.

"I guess kinda the same reasons as you. Being a knight sounded great! Defending people from horrible things, making a difference in the world, protecting my home...that sounds awfully noble. Plus it sounded like fun! A lot more fun than baking." He paused, grimaced, and shot a glance at Killian.

"Er, not that I'd really have to worry about that, I guess, huh? 'Cause that's woman's work and stuff, but ah...yeah! Anyway, sounded nice to get away from home and all that and kinda live my own life away from all that." Scratching the back of his neck, he shrugged.

"Even if I can't be a knight, this is still pretty fun. A lot more work and scarier than I thought, but...it's different. And hey!" Perking up, he smiled at Killian. "Isn't it true ya can become a knight if you do something like super notable? Something that gets you a lot of attention? So there's hope, right? We just have to do something wild!"

visualspice

Killian blinked.
"I... I suppose some rare act of true heroism could inspire reasons to grant one an apprenticeship beneath another knight. Nobles.. it seems are quite picky on who they choose so yes," he gave a nod before shaking his head as he smiled. "I suppose you're right."

He stared from the fire back to the wilds, the winds rustling over head. But this time the noise didn't frighten him as much, but still, he shivered. Whatever was out there, waiting for them- he hoped was just the winds.

Rhindeer

"That's the spirit!" Faolán said with a grin and a light punch to Killian's shoulder. "So we just gotta be heroes. That can't be that hard. I mean, we're fighting against witches and stuff! So there's gotta be someone out there we can selflessly save."

Then, blinking at his words, he snorted a laugh. "Though I guess it's not really that selfless if you're thinking about how ya can be selfless so you can get something outta it, huh?"

visualspice

Killian smiled, but tiredly so. He stifled a yawn and nodded his head at the other boy's enthusiasm.
"I suppose you're right.I just hope we don't fight any witches tonight. I'm beat."
And he threw himself back into the soft grasses and stared up at the stares, letting his feet and legs become warmed by the nearby fire.

And he grew quiet a moment, his mind thinking over his dreams-
But just before he had a second to ask Faolán anything else, a soft growl was heard coming from the brush. The sound sent a chill up his spine as he tensed and turned his blue eyes to the other soldier.

"Did.. did you hear that?" he asked, in barely a whisper.

Rhindeer

Faolán had ignored the earlier rustling, because he wanted to be brave, and Killian hadn't reacted to the sound. But when a growl started up, his blood turned to ice and his throat tightened. He met Killian's gaze, his own blue eyes wide.

Why did Killian have to mention fighting and witches?!

Hand shaking, he grabbed for his sword. "I-it might just be a wolf. Probably could smell our food," he said, even as he drew his sword with a soft metallic hiss. "It's probably nothing. Why I'll bet it's just--"

And then came the smell, a thick, awful, rancid smell, like rotting meat left too long in the sun. Faolán gagged, his eyes stinging from the smell's intensity. "God, Killian, what is that?"

And that was when the bushes rustled and a dark, wedge-shaped head thrust out, big as a small bear's skull with matted, mangy fur in the places that still had fur.

Faolán let out a frightened yell and grabbed the other boy's arm.

It was no wolf. And it was staring straight at them with luminous golden eyes and jaws dripping thick, putrid saliva; its sharp yellow fangs were stained with fresh blood, bits of flesh still wedged between its teeth. And when it growled it was a low, rumbling growl that vibrated deep in Faolán's chest. It was like nothing he'd ever seen--

And it might be the last thing either of them saw.

visualspice

Killian didn't have a chance to draw his weapon when the creature revealed it's ugly face, and the boy could have pissed himself. Unlike Faolán, Killian hadn't the wits to draw his sword as his blue eyes shrunk in size and nearly disappeared into the whites of his eyes.

"By Angsar's name!" the boy exclaimed. "It's a rabid beast! Run!"

And before he knew what he was doing, he was abandoning the camp and taking off into taller grasses, having no idea that would invoke the ire of the beast as it let out a chomping bark as the large beast suddenly leaped towards the pair of them with snapping, slobbering jaws.