Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Here there be thorns. [Spiiiicinator!]

Started by Rhindeer, June 10, 2013, 03:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Not particularly," Rowan said, scratching at the peach fuzz growing on his chin. "They're loud and obnoxious and not to mention a bad omen."

He shuddered, the motion traveling from his human shoulders to his withers. "You know if you see a flock of ravens, there's death nearby. That's why a flock of them is called a murder. I don't know why you'd want to follow the wolves and ravens, of all things. That's so..."

He waved a hand, looking for the right word. "Morbid."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Namia just stared at the centaur.
"I'm aware what they mean," she said a bit impatiently while tucking back some hair. But hey- heck, she didn't have much of a choice. She had to follow her dream and figure out what it meant- in hopes that perhaps she could save her mother from whatever fate the dreams meant.

"Call it what you will, but it's just what I'm searching for. I don't have much choice." and with a shrug, she turned around, but then paused and turned back to face him again.
"But right, I suppose this is a proper goodbye?" she said, raising her brows questionably as she extended out a hand for him to shake.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Rowan shifted nervously where he stood, not liking this at all. When she held out her hand, he blinked down at it and, after a pause, grasped it in his own. He didn't do anything with it, though, just held it, not sure what the human custom was for this sort of thing.

"I...goodbye? So you're really going to go after those things? Where the wolves are? Alone?" he said, still trying to wrap his mind around it. She'd already stated her intention loud and clear, but...but it was crazy! She was so tiny! Did she even know how to defend herself? Did she have any other weapons, or just a little knife?

Still holding onto her hand, he chewed his lip. "You could get killed if you...ah! Listen, you helped me here, so why don't I just...go with you for a bit? To make sure you'll be safe? And that the wolves aren't still around? That's what I'm supposed to do out here, anyway! Heroic deeds and such. And that's pretty heroic! So..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

As Namia stared at him just.. holding her hand, her lips went flat. She supposed not everyone knew the custom to shake hands- but before she had a chance to explain, Rowan went on to hastily inform her how crazy she was again-
but then did the very crazy thing to suggest he come along too!

Her mouth fell open as she stared at him, blinking a few times (as if that might fix what she heard-) Did she hear him wrong? She dug into one ear, as if to clean it out.

"Wait, what?" She made a face at him. "Oh.. no no..! You Don't have to tag along-"S he began to protest, but then he went on and on about being so heroic and her body deflated a little.
"No, look- you really don't have to. I was planning on doing this alone..."
BUt really.. what harm could come with his company? And as she thought it over, she stared at him, scrutinizing him with a rub to her chin.

"I.. well, I guess you could help me. How familiar are you with this area anyway?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Ah, good, so she agreed! For a second there he had been worried she'd refuse. He perked up, grinning down at her--until she asked the dreaded question.

Rowan's face fell, but he was quick to perk right back up again, hoping she didn't notice. "Oh, I'm not the least bit familiar with this place," he cheerfully said. Because if you gave bad news cheerfully, that made it not so bad, right?

"But I know my directions and how to use the stars! So it can't be that difficult finding one's way around, right? Besides," he said, puffing out his chest. "I'm big and tough and I've got a bow. No wolves are going to bother you while I'm around, and that's the bit that counts, right?" Alright, so that was a bit of a lie. Wolves still messed with even adult centaurs because horse was rather tasty, and a pack could easily overwhelm one. But it was best not to mention that.

"You're going west, right? That's easy. We'll just go west, then!"

visualspice

Namia's lips remained open for a time before she found herself needing to tuck back a smile. Shaking her head, she gave a roll of her eyes as she stepped away from him.

"Ok, so I guess you're going to be my body guard or something?" she said, the idea making her smirk. She continued down the path, heading west and avoiding the bramble patch as best as possible. "How many wolves have you killed anyway? And you know, I know how to navigate the stars too. My people have been doing it for generations."

Take that, horsey man! And of course, the playful one up man ship was in good humor, of course!

Rhindeer

"Er..." Rowan followed along beside her, tail swishing as he walked. "Not...many?" As in, none at all.

"But see, that's only because I haven't had to. No wolf in their right mind is crazy enough to mess with a centaur like me! Why, one good kick from one of these hooves would cave a grown wolf's chest right in, or split their skull. They know better."

There were a few truths there. He hadn't needed to kill a wolf yet. And his hooves could cause serious injury or death with a kick. But that a wolf wouldn't mess with him? That had yet to be tested. Namia didn't need to know that, though!

He tossed his hair, dreadlocks bouncing. "And how many have you killed, my new body guardee?"

visualspice

Namia craned her neck to stare up at the centaur.
"I can't say I've killed any. I'm not much of a hunter,"s he admitted while chewing on the inside of one of her cheeks. But looking him over, she frowned.

"But you look like a kid. Well, not a kid, but you look about my age. And... by the way you're talking," she added with a grin and stood up on her tip toes to poke his nose. "I don't think I believe you."
And turning away, she walked off ahead of him with an extra bounce to her step, leaving the trail end of her dark hair to tickle against his body and leave a trailing scent.

Rhindeer

Rowan stared after her, nose still wrinkled from when she'd poked him there and ears laid back. Then, stomping his front hoof, he marched on after her, tromping noisily through the undergrowth.

"I'm not a kid!" he said, though Namia was spot-on in her observation. "I'm...I'm an adult in my herd!" And then, grimacing, he rubbed his face. "Okay, almost. But I bet I'm at least older than you. And I've seen lots of wolves! And, ah, I bet I could take them on if they were ever brave enough to try me and--Namia, wait!"

He picked up his pace, catching up to her in a few large bounds and skidding to a stop near her. Reaching out, he touched her shoulder. "Don't go too far ahead without me. I was serious about the wolves, you know, and we're getting closer. They were just beyond these trees, in the field up ahead, so..."

He frowned. "What do you want to find these ravens for, anyway?"

visualspice

"What makes you think you're older?" Namia asked as she continued to walk ahead of him in nonchalance. In reality, she was a bit nervous, as she had no idea where she was really going and just going off of what this horse-man told her. But she needed to figure out if these ravens might be the same ones from her dreams. But at the mention of wolves she hesitated and stared over at her shoulder before looking up at him.

"It's well.. sort of complicated," she said, avoiding his gaze in that moment as she stepped forward just so, so that his hand would fall from her shoulder so she could keep on walking.
"And shouldn't we hurry up anyway? Why slow down? If there are wolves, we should get over there and out as quickly as we can. Dawdling might only draw their attention to us."

Though, so would running into the pack if they were still close by! And that, neither of them could know for certain.

Rhindeer

Rowan let his hand drop back down to his side and, ears laid back, he started after her again.

"You don't want to just barge on in there. They're wolves! You have to be careful. Granted, they ate something so goddess willing, they're full, but if they're not..." He heaved a breath through his nose.

"Just let me go first."

Without waiting for her answer, he pushed past her and strode out of the line of trees and into the open, one hand gripping his bow while the other reached behind him to the quiver of arrows, just in case. And sure enough there, in the distance, came the cawing of ravens. But what was most disturbing was the sight.

Ahead of them, in a field, was a pack of at least eight wolves surrounding a bloodied mass of...something. Probably deer, or at least Rowan hoped. They were large, larger than the average timber wolf, and looked healthy and fit--clearly a successful pack. Whatever they had caught, it looked mostly bones now as some of them chewed bones or fought over scraps of skin.

And above them, waiting their turn patiently, the trees were black with ravens.

visualspice

Namia had only made a few steps out into the field at Rowan's side, and hadn't even a chance to protest what he was saying when the Raven's call caught her attention and her deep blue eyes followed to where they were flying in the sky. Her lips parted open to see the skies so black due to there being so many birds- and it was while she was standing there that she lost herself.

Somehow she was flying- the ground below her moving fast. ANd all around her was fluttering blackness as she swooped up and over the group. She could see clearly the carcass the wolves were eating- but something seemed off. The wolves looked darker, meaner- as they growled at the bird as it swooped down low- but the moment this happened, the wolves scattered and as the pack crested the hill, a single, silver wolf howled. As the raven flew back she could see the dead animal again, but this time, she noticed a familiar form curled up inside the animal- and it was in that moment her connection broke-

It had only happened in mere seconds, but the raven had indeed, flown down close to the pack and caused them to scatter, but that's not what held Namia's attention now. Her eyes were now wide, tears beginning to collect in them and her normally tanned skin- white. After a moment, she clutched her chest suddenly then clasped a hand over her lips.

Gods.. what.. what just happened!? What had she seen!? Did she just have a vision through the ravens?! And what did it mean!? Why was her mother's body inside the dead carcass!?
Feeling dizzy, her legs began to fall away as she collapsed towards the ground.

Rhindeer

Rowan had been staring at the pack, trying to decide how best to proceed, when a raven soared down and the wolves scattered and fled, leaving behind the stripped carcass. His eyes narrowed, head tilting. That was...odd behavior, to say the least, and the silver wolf's howl sent a little chill down his spine. Why...why would they just leave like that? Did the raven scare them away? That would be strange; wolves and ravens often played together, and the wolves had no trouble chasing the birds away when they got too annoying. Maybe it was just...weird timing...?

He was probably thinking way too much about it, but Namia's insistence on finding the ravens had made him intensely curious about the entire situation--whoa!

That was when, out of the corner of his eye, he caught movement. Namia collapsing bonelessly--and him too distracted by the ravens to catch her, or notice that something had been wrong. With a startled curse, he dropped down onto his front knees and reached out to grab her, pulling him into his arms and brushing her hair back so he could get a look at her face.

He let out another curse at what he saw. She was ghost-white, her eyes brimmed with tears.

"Namia? Namia!" he said, eyes wide with concern and heart drumming in his chest. Goddess, what happened to her?! "Namia, are you okay? What happened? Are you hurt? What...?"

The ravens had descended upon the carcass, squawking and bickering over whatever bits were left behind. Shivering at the sight, and disturbed by the strange sequence of events, Rowan scooped Namia up like a bride and rose back to his feet.

"We should get out of here."

visualspice

Namia was too startled, too numb to know how to react. Being scooped up in his arms, she cringed at the sensation,but instinct had her clinging with arms around his neck.

"I.. I don't know,"s he finally said, still dizzy, still upset as she blinked back some tears. But at his sudden insistence they leave, her eyes opened wide and she flew around in his grasp.
"NO!" she shouted, eyes clinging desperately to his. "NO! We must see what's inside the carcass!"
And she had no idea how crazy she sounded!

Rhindeer

"WHAT?" Rowan blurted, staring down at Namia in wide-eyed horror at her sudden desperation. See what was in the carcass? He jerked his head in its direction, where the ravens were still picking at the bones, and shook his head in confusion.

"What do you mean, see what's in it? Bones are what's in it! And ravens..." he added, watching as some of the ravens stuck their heads in the carcass's cavity. He shuddered. "I don't...I don't think you want to go see that, Namia..."

visualspice

Namia squirmed in his grasp.
"I have to! Put me down! I need to make sure!"
Make sure that her visions hadn't already happened- make sure no other 'sights' could be triggered. She knew it was a sign, but a sign of what? And a sense of dread washed over her as she continued to wriggle. "Put me down, Rowan! Or at least take me over there!" And now her blue eyes pleaded with him.

Rhindeer

Rowan found her behavior utterly baffling, and completely worrying! But from the way she was pleading with him, he didn't think she'd let this go until she'd examined the carcass for herself.

With an uneasy look at what had once been a deer, Rowan let his shoulders slouch. "Okay, but...I'm going with you!" he said, and lowered her gently to the ground. He placed his hand on her shoulder. "And, you know, you should probably tell me what this is all about, because I'm finding this rather confusing right now!"

visualspice

Namia visibly pouted, but she was a ball of nerves, she could not contain it- even if she were to feel it to be a secret.
"It's just that I... well... I've had visions," she began, nervously wringing her hands.

Rhindeer

"Visions...?" Rowan repeated, and looked at the corpse again, ears laid back. "Er...what kind of visions?"

If it had something to do with that dead deer, he didn't really want to know. And yet, he was morbidly curious, because this was all so mad.

visualspice

"Y-yes... visions... dreams." She paused to hold a breath, steeling herself as they continued to make their way towards the corpse, though she did so with caution. "I... well, something like this has occurred before, though not in the waking world." Pressing her lips together, she focused on the path before her. "I.... well, the thing is I'm afraid of this vision. It.... it's a symbol of death."