Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Little Bit Dusty...

Started by TheHighwayman, June 15, 2013, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"You're asking the wrong girl. I didn't grow up around books, and am lucky I know enough to write my own language. IF my father didn't own his own, small business selling wares, I would have been as simple and uneducated as my mother."

She glanced around, peering at the runes as they walked on by. "These markings are strange, aren't they? It's almost as if they're telling a story." and she paused before one set, tilting her head to one side and let her hands stroke over the air before the runes which made the light flickering under her shadow.

"A lot of the runes point towards some sort of symbol of water.." and then she paused and grew quiet. "Do you hear that?"
It was the sound of running water again.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

Halting to listen, Miklo nodded. "That definitely sounds like water. And close, unless I miss my guess." Curious. A focus on water, powerful magic, a civilization predating modern Connlaoth by a significant amount... perhaps that fragment of legend hadn't been far off the mark. Grabbing Jinai's hand, he quickened his pace. "Come on. Whatever we do here is just guesswork. I suspect we'll find something more substantial- or perhaps more useful- once we reach the end of this." In any case, the sound of water had reminded Miklo how thirsty he was.

"Mind if I ask you something, by the way? Why exactly are you helping the mages? I mean, it doesn't seem to me that you have any magic of your own..."

visualspice

Miklo taking her hand and leading the way was awkward, but his question was what really through her off. Instead of replying, she simply listened to the sounds of water coming closer and closer as they ran,a nd once they entered into a darkened part of the hallway, a room at the end lit up, and in the center was a living, breathing fountain with the same, child like sculpture residing in the center, a jewel pressed ito it's forehead that appeared not to glow, and was as black as the gem they had pressed earlier. But the runes in the room were humming with life, and their colors reflecting in the fountain's water as it continued to cascade endlessly.

It was only then Jinai began to realize what this was...
"This room... it almost feels... holy." she wrinkled her nose, then blinked. "As if this were some sort of shrine." Which would explain the sort of seating resting before the alter of the fountain. Ah.. an alter, perhaps that's what it was? But the question was, why was it to guarded? And why HERE of all places?

The blue light reflecting off of the water's from the glowing runes on the walls danced across their faces, and the sounds the glowing runes made were almost beautiful, in a haunting sort of way. Jinai lifted her gazef rom the fountain to study this room more thoroughly, and noticed there was not a lot too it, except the fountain and pedestals, or alter like place, placed before the fountain in the center.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

This was strange. Three different defenses, and all for a fountain? An impressive fountain, to be certain,  but a fountain? Miklo surveyed the walls, looking for any other ways out, or anything else that might give something away. Tentatively he drew closer to the water, trying to get a better look at the gem in the statue. He wasn't quite so afraid of traps here, as he doubted whoever built this would be willing to destroy this place to kill any intruders.

"Likely. That doesn't explain why it was so heavily guarded, though..." Miklo gave one last look around and then quickly dipped a finger into the water. He wanted to see if there was anything magical or supernatural about it- if there wasn't, he could really use a drink.

visualspice

Jinai's hand shot out and grabbed onto Miklo's wrist.
"I wouldn't do that. We don't know if that water's clean,... or cursed."
Her eyes looked testily around, uncertain what to make of it here.
"It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense, does it? So many traps for just a silly fountain? I wonder if there's anything else here." And then she paused when her eyes caught something on the far side of the room, a stone statue, this one full sized- of a woman with a crown. Jinai's eyes lingered over the figure, before she realized..
"This is either a shrine.. or a grave."

TheHighwayman

Miklo froze with his hand halfway above the water, nodding. Perhaps he had been a bit hasty. "A grave? I hadn't thought of that... it would explain the traps, at least." Miklo pulled free of Jinai's grip and stepped away from the fountain and closer to the statue- keeping an ear out for any more traps. "Perhaps for some ruler or other? It looks that way... though why all this for just one monarch? Normally there would be an entire tomb dedicated to such things, for those civilizations which care to do so." The scholar scratched his chin as he examined the statue more closely.

For a moment, he considered the possibility that the place was haunted- but if it were, they'd likely have already provoked whatever spirit inhabited this place... besides, lingering spirits didn't necessarily have to be malevolent, right? ...He hoped.

visualspice

"Most civilizations don't, but are we dealing with something normal here? My biggest concern is that this place is huge. How hasn't anyone found it by now? And why was it forgotten? Maybe this place is cursed, who knows but whatever the reason we need to remain careful."

TheHighwayman

The scholar peered at the statue- it was certainly well crafted enough to suit a ruler- no imperfections in the stone that he could see (though he did have to admit room for error thanks to his missing glasses), and he'd never even seen a gem like that before. "Well, if we can't touch anything for the risk of ending up cursed, haunted, or otherwise inconvenienced... should we find a way out of here?"

Though the question of -where- was certainly still a good point. The fake wall was still in the hallway they'd earlier left, and the slab that had trapped them in the hallway hadn't gone anywhere last he checked either. Miklo had a mild panic attack- they could very well starve in there, he realized.

visualspice

Jinai nodded. She too, feared the same thing as he as her eyes began to examine all the walls. Despite the place having a sense of serenity about it, her heart could not remain at peace knowing they might have found their selves in their own grave.

"I don't see anything in here. Why don't we try back the way we came? Maybe there's another lever or gem we hadn't seen that might be able to open the walls to let us out."

TheHighwayman

Perhaps they should get going, but... well, Miklo didn't think they'd find much. It was impressive work to fit two mechanisms into that one hallway already, plus the trigger for their escape (though he suspected that one was more magical in nature). Even if there was anything else back where they'd come from, it was just as liable to be another trap as an escape. Which meant it was time to take a few risks. The gem in the statue was the same sort as had been in the hallway- the same sort that had saved their lives earlier. "Maybe, but perhaps unlikely. I want to try something first."

"Jinai," he started, reaching for the gem and taking a deep breath. "You might want to stand back in case this goes horribly wrong." Then he put his palm over the jewel and pushed.

visualspice

Jinai's eyes widened the moment she saw what Miklo was about to do.

"Miklo, don't-!" But it was too late. The gem was touched and with a hiss, the fountain waters ceased pouring. Jinai made a face, her body poised as if to stop him in mid-motion when she blinked and looked down as the waters began to drain from the fountain.
Hesitantly, she approached and peered in, and just as the water was almost all gone, she gasped.
"Look!" and gestured towards a handle in the water.
"Looks like some sort of handle to a door. Shall I open or would you like the honors?" she asked, giving him a smug grin.

TheHighwayman

The scholar winced when he heard the hissing, closing his eyes and waiting for some horrible, spiky,  elaborate trap to spring on him and smear him all over the floor... and then realized nothing had killed him yet. Taking in a deep, relieved breath, he turned back and peered into the now emptied fountain. He'd have called it an obvious trap, but he'd already decided that they didn't have much choice but to go along with it if they wanted to see daylight. "Well, I've not been mauled so far... Here goes." The man grit his teeth, offered a silent prayer on the off chance any deities happened to exist and be listening at the moment, reached down and heaved on the handle as quickly as he could.... and nothing budged. "Hrrrmmmmmph! Come on! Open! Errrrf!" Miklo continued to huff and growl, and there was a slight scraping sound, but whatever the old handle was attached to didn't seem to want to give.

visualspice

"Here," Jinai said, moving beside him. "Let me help. It might be sealed by age. On three?"
ANd she curled her hands onto the iron ring and nodded towards him..
"One... two..." then with a grunt, she pulled, "Three!" and the door gave way, Jinai gasping as she stumbled over painfully onto the floor. But they did it! The door was open and se was scrambling to her feet, ignoring the minor, bleeding scrapes as she peered down at the gaping door way that lead to a spiraling staircase that disappeared into the shadows.

"Looks like the only way out... is down."

TheHighwayman

Miklo leaned over the stairway, taking a moment to catch his breath. He considered offering Jinai a hand up, but the thought had no sooner crossed his mind than she'd dealt with it herself. "Right then, we've no idea what's down there, so it might be wise for you to keep the sword." Besides, the scholar wanted to try something first. He figured he'd finally figured the trick to using his magic, and now was as good a time as any to test it.

Miklo closed his eyes with a nervous breath. Holding out his hand and calling up his magic, the mage tried to recall as many moments of fear and outrage as he could- neither was too difficult, as the fear of fleeing for his life was fresh in his mind, and he'd held back plenty of fury over the years. It was perhaps not as effective as it might have been, as he knew he was simply trying to manipulate himself, but the scholar figured he must have done something right when he opened his eyes to find a ball of fire about twice the size of his hand floating above his palm. "Well, seems there is a silver lining to all this." Miklo grinned and noted that the fire didn't need the emotional input to sustain itself, only to get started. Good, that would make things easier.

"Careful. Looks like it might be a bit slick down there. I'll go first. If you wouldn't mind being ready to stab anything that tries to bite my head off?"

visualspice

Jinai frowned. "Yeah, the steps look quite slick, but it seems we've got no choice. Let's take it slow." then she nodded to him and smirked at his fire ball.
"Nice ball." she said, then gestured forward. "Lead the way."

TheHighwayman

"Well, there's no point to stalling." Miklo carefully stepped over into the fountain and started down the stairwell- which he noted was more than just a little slick. He shivered again- it was even colder here, and his fire was enough to produce light... but not much in the way of heat. Shaking his head, the mage put it out of his mind; he could deal with as little cold... as long as these stairs ended up leading to a way out. If they didn't- no, no, worrying about that wouldn't accomplish anything. "Just focus on not cracking your head open," he muttered.

visualspice

"Being as you're a source of light, I'll try to keep us both from not cracking our heads," She reminded him, offering a small smirk as she followed after. It was cold, the air sending ripples to her skin. She steeled back her chattering teeth, and held a breath as they inched slowly down the spiraling steps. It seemed to take an hour for what should have taken mere minutes and at the very bottom lay another long hall which, after several feet, opened to a large stair way, which Jinai noted had cracks of sunlight coming from above.

She held a hand up to shield her eyes, trying to focus on the light.
"I wonder what that is?" she said, and moved past him, climbing carefully up the next set of steps, when her boots slipped, and she fell back onto Miklo.

TheHighwayman

On the one hand, things could have gone a lot worse; Miklo still stood at the foot of the stairs, far enough back that he had time to put out the fire before Jinai hit him and in no danger of falling down a flight. On the other hand, the floor was dampest at the base, and it was still made of stone... A fact which Miklo was immediately reminded of as his attempt to catch the falling woman led to him once again slipping backwards and smacking his head for what was probably the third time that day (at least, he thought they'd not spent more than a day down there). On the plus side, the scholar was technically successful, as he provided a soft, Miklo-shaped shield between Jinai and the floor.

Miklo groaned and felt for the back of his head. "No blood, at least. Urgghhh... I wonder if these people had a patron deity of headaches? It seems to be a core feature of their architecture. Are you alright, miss Jinai?"

visualspice

Miklo wasn't the only one groaning. Once Jinai sat up, she tried to stand, but as Miklo found out, here the floor was the most slippery and she found herself slipping back onto his lap with an 'ooof'.
Blowing her blonde hair from her face, she peered up at Miklo.
"I'm as alright as I can be. At least you make a nice cushioned landing,"she said with a smirk.
"Guess your head is throbbing? I might have something on me to help ease the pain, though it might make you a bit... loopy."
Yeah.. loopy was the right words for a drug..

TheHighwayman

Ordinarily, Miklo wouldn't have minded the side-effects, so long as his head stopped throbbing. In the current situation, however, he didn't want to get flattened by some trap because he was completely out of it. Grimacing, he shook his head. "I'll deal with the pain, I think. If it persists once we get out of here, then I might want whatever it is you've got."

Miklo looked at the girl currently sitting in his lap, coughed, and shifted a bit. He could already feel the water on the floor seeping through into his pants, and as much as he liked his present position, the scholar didn't fancy walking around in cold, dark hallways while wet. "...So, if you're alright, we should get up?"