Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Little Bit Dusty...

Started by TheHighwayman, June 15, 2013, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayman

"Walk? Nothing appears to be broken. No severe sprains, twists or any other debilitating injuries. I think I can manage." Forcing himself to his feet, Miklo almost proved himself wrong, wavering for a moment before getting his balance back- or, more accurately, slumping against the wall. "Ach..." He would have sat right back down if it weren't for the thought that the guards were no doubt still looking for them. "Right... can't stay here..." One step at a time, he made his way towards the darkened passage, getting slightly steadier with each one. Once he reached it he began shooting handfuls of sparks out in an attempt to light it well enough to get a glimpse... unsuccessfully. "I've gone to the trouble of hiding this for eight years and it's not even useful... Have you anything we can use for a torch?" With his impaired vision, Miklo hadn't even noticed the newcomer yet.

visualspice

OOC: Fyi- killing the government officials for not doin any 'real harm' is going to put them all into a pretty pickle >.>
considering prejudices in Connlaoth as well as the fact I wanted to keep this dig site 'hush-hush' ... so we're going to have to be careful in how we hide the bodies and have the rumors be diverted, considering I don't want swarms of guards on the dig site, and what Jy'aad did WILL bring guards, whether we want them to or not.

Those officials will have to report back to someone. If they're dead, it'll bring all sorts of trouble to the dig site (since that was their intended destination) and I'd rather not bring unwanted attention to this site when the idea was to make it a secret haven for mages (eventually, after it's cleared away) so... I dunno if you want to edit that part of your last post or what, but yeah... (why did they try to stop him anyway? I was confused on that part)

if not, it might break the covert operation before it begins, or.. we'll have to play the waiting game. They might be able to lie and say 'oh, the wanted criminal (aka- Jinai) came through here and killed these men before taking off' to hide the truth so guards and officials don't come sniffing around, but yeah.. in the future, we have to make our characters do more sneaky moves if we want to keep this hush hush, since they'll be going through the ruins the government is ordering to be 'closed down'. and yeah, sneaky sneaky mode is a must!

So yeah, just an fyi for the future. Keep in mind Jy'add, not being human, would have so many prejudices again him already, killing peopel at random (especially guards or officials) wouldn't be something wise for a character like him to do, and I'm assuming he's well aware of how tense laws have become.

and if I didn't mention that in our plotting I'm sorry D: there's also more info on the info page that's been updated.

But poor Jy'.. his precious dig site ;_;

AND NOW TIME FOR A SHORT POST XD
---------

Jinai smirked as the man was able ot get up, but was obviously all dusty and dirty, maybe a little weak in the legs, but he seemed ok. "Yeah.. I saw that fire display you did back there, why don't you use a little bit of magic to light the way?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

"Because this-" Miklo sent another shower of sparks ahead to demonstrate. "Is about the extent of my power, miss. I've only ever been able to create a solid flame once, and even then I lacked the capability to maintain it for any length of time. Perhaps there's some trick to it I've overlooked... Well, I suppose if I were ever to look for one, now would be a good time..." With that, Miklo sat down and began throwing wild gestures about and muttering about different philosophies on magic. If the sparks he kept shooting were anything to go by... it wasn't helping.

Looking back to see what Jinai was doing- looking for something they could use as fuel, he hoped- his vision had finally cleared enough to notice that they were no longer alone. In typical Miklo fashion, he began muttering out possibilities to himself. "Hrm... difficult to see, but appears canine. Bipedal, therefore it can't be any known animal. Lycan? Perhaps, not likely. Most lycans shift entirely to a beast. Unknown, then... Miss?" He called out. "Your opinion on that?" This was accompanied by a helpful pointing finger right towards Jy'aad.

((OOC:  You never mentioned hiding, so I assumed he was standing out in the middle of the cavern floor. I can fix it if he was actually concealed. Also, yay complications! Now Miklo can facepalm at both of them when he finds out! =) ))

visualspice

OOC: I have a feeling there'll be a lot of face palming XD
Did Miklo just call Jy'aad 'Miss'? X3 *snicker*
It'd be great if Jinai started coming to the conclusion to use the place as a sanctuary for mages and explains it to the others, and then she sees the guard corpses and goes 'shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit'a nd they have to think of a clever way to hide what happened XD

but yeah D:

XD

-----------

Jinai raised a brow, then smiled.
"I might have a friend or two that could help," and she gave the man a wink, then turned to follow his gaze. She too, hadn't notice the other approach and didn't dare approach him. She placed a hand on Miklo's shoulder.

"Be careful," she said, tensing her grip. "Who's to say he doesn't work for the soldiers?" she said bitterly. Then she gave a pretend smile towards the creature, and whispered to Miklo, "Yeah what.. what the heck is that?" She had never seen an animal-person before.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

((OOC: No, he was trying to get Jinai's attention. Though I suppose since Miklo can't see...))

"If I knew, I wouldn't be asking, miss," Miklo answered flatly. The shopkeeper pondered the blurry sight for a moment or two longer, then realized there were only two possibilities. Either it was hostile, in which case he'd be very quickly aware of it and Jinai would be the better equipped of them to handle it anyway, or it wasn't, and thus wasn't a threat. With that realization he returned his efforts to something he could actually be productive with- throwing sparks uselessly into the darkness!

Turning back to the tunnel before him, he took a deep breath, wound up, and... summoned an even less impressive bunch of embers. "Come on!" he groaned, annoyed at both himself and his apparently useless magic- and shot out a slightly brighter scattering of sparks. Not enough to be useful, but definitely more than before. Odd... Miklo scratched his head and made as if to adjust his glasses- momentarily forgetting he wasn't wearing them at the time. "Oh, right...Perhaps it's more effective with unconscious or instinctive use? No, no, probably not that." He couldn't shake the feeling that he was missing a rather obvious answer.

visualspice

OOC: LOOOOOOOL
you should have told me so I could have fixed my post! LOOOOL
now I feels silly 8D

-----------------

While Jinai's eyes had been narrowed upon the on coming form of Jy'aad, she was.. taken back a bit when the sparks 'failed to fly'. She raised her brows up at MIklo, eyeing him over once before snorting through her nose as she grinned.
"If your plan was to scare it with your magics, I think you'd better put that sort of fire away." Then with a roll of her eyes, she took a few more steps closer to Jy'aad and called out. "Hello?" Hoping her voice would reach his form. She took another few hesitant steps. "Look, we didn't come here for trouble -" (Well not really, they had come here inadvertently trying to run away from trouble) and had found themselves in this whole other mess (or HOLE other mess, as it were.. considering they fell through a hole in the ground.. well ok, maybe it wasn't a hole until they fell into it. .. but still!)
"And we're unarmed!"s he called out, stating a fact that... well, for this moment they were. "Show yourself and identity just who you are!" and the more pointedly, she added, "And explain to us just what you are doing here."  Though perhaps he could ask her and Miklo the same?

Klezmer Gryphon

(OoC:
QuoteSo yeah, just an fyi for the future. Keep in mind Jy'add, not being human, would have so many prejudices again him already, killing peopel at random (especially guards or officials) wouldn't be something wise for a character like him to do, and I'm assuming he's well aware of how tense laws have become.

The government official didn't die. The guards did. Furthermore, I didnt state this, but they (the authorities) had figured out Jyaad was a mage. Dont ask me how, because I havent worked that out yet.)
IC:

Jy'aad looked at the two figures. Seeing as the rope was still there, he set one of his swords ablaze, then severed the rope, hoping the guards would find another one. Turning back to the two figures, he walked towards them.

"Tell me first." He said, extinguishing his sword. He could see fine in the dark, but the other two probably couldn't. He would help them, but only when he got anwsers. He'd heard the part about working for the soldiers.

"Also, if I worked for the soldiers, you two would have your heads rolling right now!"

visualspice

OOC: Ah, ok! See THAT make more sense XD
He'd have a lot working against him because of that. So we'll just have to be walking on egg shells now and extra careful in this thread >:3

------------

Jinai raised a brow at him.
"Unless you were clever or wanted something else... I suppose we can trust you...  For now." She stared at Jy'aad, skeptically. "You can call me Jinai, though knowing my name will be of little consequence. We had... accidentally stumbled into this tunnel thing and.."
It was only then she paused... her eyes beginning to adjust to the dark that she realized..
"Say, wait a second. Is this part of the ruins they've bee excavating?"  She didn't realize how large this under ground passage had been.. or the fact that Jy'aad probably hadn't known either, since they were only beginning to uncover it's secrets. So far, this portion had now just been revealed due to the cave in,a nd since no other attention had been drawn to this area, it was still somewhat a secret.  The only thing that tipped off this might be an ancient area was the fact there were still some semblance of ancient columns holding up what remained of the underground labyrinth.

TheHighwayman

Miklo gave up on his poor attempt at fire-conjuring the instant he saw Jy'aad's sword light up. Now there was something they could use. "Likely. If it's not directly connected, it's almost certainly a similar structure of identical origin. This cavern doesn't look entirely natural, and the odds of there being two different sets of man-made ruins within walking distance of each other are... poor, to say the least." Standing, the scholar made a decision. Either they waited here until the guard found them or this stranger tried to slit their throats, they ran blindly off into the darkness and cracked their heads on something, or they tried to make an ally of the newcomer. As only one of them seemed like it could possibly be successful, the scholar started forward with a hand outstretched.

"Miklo Quel," he started, figuring it was safe enough to use his name, at least. "My friend and I ran into a bit of trouble in the city- we've done no real harm, you understand, but there was a misunderstanding. While we were riding away, the ground opened up underneath us, and here we are." The scholar gave a simple shrug, and managed to keep a confident expression the entire time. Just treat this like any other sale, Miklo. Come on, Fezzen could handle this without so much as an ounce of trouble. "We're somewhat stuck here, as it is, and we'd be immensely grateful if you could lend us a hand in getting out.

Then he noticed the blood on the fox-man's blade, and he went from managing to keep calm from managing not to wet himself... barely. His palms began to sweat, his eyes shot back towards Jinai to see if any help would come if things went south, and he began to stutter. "O-of course, i-if you had uh-other p-plans, I'm sure the t-two of uh-us c-could figure s-something ou-ou-out."

visualspice

Jinai easily picked up on Miklo's uneasiness, and inwardly cursed that she hadn't noticed the blood on the animal-person's sword. Her eyes narrowed, but she didn't hide the fact she had seen it as she kept a stern gaze upon Jy'aad and stared at him expectantly, as if waiting for him to explain himself now that Miklo had so eloquently explained theirs.

Klezmer Gryphon

"Well, there's no way back up, and certainly no safe way down. It's a sad shame, but be glad your horse took the brunt of the fall." Jy'aad said, pulling out a cloth and wiping his swords. "Oh, and don't mind the blood. Got into a scrap with some guards up there."

Walking towards the pair, he ignited his sword once more, and examined the ruins in a little more detail.

"Oh, and I'm Jy'aad, your resident archaeologist, treasure hunter, and mage."

TheHighwayman

Miklo let his hand fall back to his side. Well, rude fellow, but at least they were both alive. No complaints there. His sweating slowed and he took a few deep breaths to steady himself. "So onward then?" he said, leaning forward to have a better look at the now illuminated walls himself. "If that's our plan, and both of us are likely to be pursued... might I make the tactical suggestion of not waiting around for the guard to find us?"

visualspice

Jinai raised her brows. Well that animal-man surely got to the point in a few seconds flat. She wasn't sure if she admired him for being that way or not, but for now, it was nice knowing someone who could light the way.

"I'd have to agree, finding a way out of here, and keeping ourselves out of the guard's line of sight would be wise." Her eyes began to search around to where the light from Jy'aad's blade was reaching. It was strange, most of the columns had a child like goddess sculpted into them. She didn't recognize it, for it surely wasn't Angsar, but it seemed there were some recesses in the sculptures were jewels might have been. Perhaps tomb robbers had taken them centuries ago.

"So.. you're an archaeologist?" Jinai began, stepping cautiously nearer towards the new man. "If that's the case, are you familiar with any of this area or what sort of ruins we're walking inside? Or are we just sitting ducks who have to explore this place to find a safe way out?"

Klezmer Gryphon

"Yes. However, don't expect me to know where to go, because quite honestly, I didn't think there was anything down here outside of some other part of that temple." Jy'aad replied. He looked around the ruins, and didn't really recognize anything. These aren't Damhnait ruins, certainly not Connlaothian, either.

Walking further, he stepped through a large doorway, and was utterly stunned at what he saw: an entire city, still intact, still usable, all under Uthlyn!

visualspice

It had been some time as the group walked along; there was a blocked section that halted them from going the first way they had come, and another way they went had fallen columns there which made progress difficult. But as the group continued forward, with only the faint bit of light resonating from Jy'aad's blade, they shared some idle chit chat as they went, but mostly it was quiet. Perhaps they were just all as equally fascinated by this find?

But after a few more turns, Jinai found herself just as stunned as the archaeologist was, as her eyes went wide as she took in the city scape that spread out before them, (at least what parts she could see from where they were standing) but it appeared as if there was almost a whole city beneath the city of Uthlyn itself! It was hard to tell how large it was, for sections were buried heavily beneath rocks, and other parts of it had fallen over, or caved in, due to cave ins and erosion over time; but there it was some peculiar, underground city, that she had to wonder if it had been under ground all of this time.

"Holy Angsar... what is this place?" she whispered, her voice barely carrying across the darkness.

TheHighwayman

Miklo, while not talking particularly often with the other two, was certainly chatty in one respect. The look on his face was one most men would have if they happened to stumble onto a warehouse full of gold, beautiful women, and bacon. The scholar constantly darted back and forth, gushing over nearly anything Jy'aad's sword illuminated, muttering off an assortment of colorful hypotheses as to the possible purpose of using a particular sort of stone, the significance of any carvings they came across, and the probable age of the ruins based on the construction and amount of damage. In fact, he often spoke up to ask the other mage to hold up for a moment, or come closer to light up more of a particular section of wall.

"Likely a holy place of some sort," he said in response to Jinai's question. "Not enough furnishings and tools to be any sort of living quarters. Built to last, too- only a few collapsed places in an underground structure this large? That's a lot of time, care, and money put into it. Most of the carvings also seem religious in nature." Miklo traced a hand over one of the figures. "Interesting. Few cultures have a child as a patron deity. Possibly a pantheon... Or a strange legend we may never be able to decipher?"

visualspice

Jinai observed Miklo's gushings with subtle amusement, smirking as she watched him babble on about this thing or that.
"Interesting.. so some sort of God-child do you think?" Jinai murmured as she approached a building, one that looked like some sort of holy church, with a slanted- curled shingle roof top that ws miraculously still in tact, with a rather innocent and ornately carved version of the child-girl diety.

"It's a shame the place appears as if looted," she commented. "It seems as if there was remenants of precious stones once imbedded into the rock. See where there are recesses? It's almost the same in each location, as if some sort of diamond or gem had once been there. On the middle of the girls' forehead, and her wrists."

Standing back, she observed the small church like building in silence, before stepping forward and attempting to open the door. Which she found, ironically, was locked. After a few swears, she gave up on her attempt to open it.

"Damn things probably sealed shut, or jammed up after being under the earth for so long." She frowned, but it was only then she noticed the entire door was carved with some sort of intricate language.

"Hey.. library boy, come here," and she gestured to Miklo. "There's some sort of writing here, but I can't make out what it is." Then to Jy'aad she motioned, "And animal-boy, bring your lighted sword."

TheHighwayman

"Hrrm?" Miklo shot up and darted over, peering at the door curiously. "Hrm... I can't make out any direct connection with any modern language- if there is one, it's very distant. Reading it would be impossible... but perhaps it isn't writing? Perhaps there are symbols that could give a clue as to what this is about?" The man pulled out his broken glasses and held the frame out before his eyes so as to get a better look. He tilted his head, frowned, and muttered, "No luck. I can make out a few images, but nothing that forms a cohesive story or anything useful- wait..."

Tracing his hand over the stone until it reached the dead center of the doorway, he grinned. Miklo's hand began to run in ever outwardly expanding circles, and he chuckled. "Ah, there's the trick to it. It starts in the middle, expands outward. Very small images for a rather large door, might be hundreds of them..." The first few pictures seemed to be very basic. There was that childlike figure, then what looked like a field that gained features for the next few images- first grass, then a tree, then some sort of beast, then a man... "Possibly a creation story?" Miklo frowned- it was too dark for him to see far enough out beyond that.

((OOC: Hope I'm not treading on any toes with this, if you planned for the writing to have some sort of hint they could use or something.))

visualspice

OOC: Well, the writing would revolve around the Evherien people and their religion associated in my character Gherrick's history. So there might be stuff about the ocean and a chain of blessed islands, though the language has long since been dead (minus, you know, Gherrick being the only one who can read it, so should be interesting if/when he were to ever show up at such a place XD

----------

Jinai remained close by and silent, her green eyes taking in the symbols.
"There's a lot of symbols that look like water, waves of some kind.."s he mused. "Take a look... think this looks like a map over here?" and she gestured for the others to follow. "It looks like some sort of island chain, but none that I've ever seen, not that I've done a lot of ocean exploring, but I know my maps and this island.." she pointed at the stone recessed images. "This sort of island chain doesn't appear on any map I know of."

Taking a step back, she took in the architecture with mild fascination.
"This architecture is unique as well. I can't quite put my finger on where it's origins might be, so who knows, we might have just uncovered some lost, forgotten civilization." And at that, Jinai laughed. "An entire city of the forgotten.." and then she recalled her idea..
"A sanctuary.."s he stared at the building before her... to the symbols.. and one that looked incredibly similar to a heart shape as her fingers traced over it.

"A sanctuary of hope."

Jinai glanced over her shoulders to Jy'aad.
"Hey, fox boy, how many people know about your dig site?"

She wasn't about to openly voice her idea just yet... after all, it might not even be realistic, considering if it would become crawling with guards after their cave-in and town-chasing ordeal. Not to mention the fact she still did not know the whole story behind Jy'aads bloody sword (despite him having explained some of it).
Jinai was never quick to trust anyone..

She had a lot of people to protect, after all. And was a vital part of the process to obtaining secrets no one else seemed to be able to get.

Klezmer Gryphon

"Not many. A few workers, and really high up officials. It's rather insignificant with all the tension in the air." He said, wondering what this girl was up to. Looking around, he saw something else that caught his eye: a staff of some variety. It rather religious in nature, with all kinds of ornaments and ray bola n it. However, he wasn't sure if it was booby trapped or not, so he let it be for the moment.