Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Little Bit Dusty...

Started by TheHighwayman, June 15, 2013, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Jinai's eyes continued to look onward, as she slowly turned around in step from where she stood, eyes sweeping slowly against the world all around them.
"An entire city undergroud... something no one in all of Connlaoth is even aware of..."
And her grin grew wider before she turned back to Jy'aad. "So.. what's the state of the dig site you're working at? And how secret can we keep this place from the public?" ANd she turned from Jy'aad to Miklo, then back to Jy'aad. "Because I know for a fact both of you are mages, and it's only due time before the army comes for you, taking you away and forcing you up north. What are you two prepared to do in order to protect yourself? To protect your family? Are you both willing to simply become faceless slaves to your government?"

Jinai took a step back now, turning to face the sanctuary that resided in the center of the ruins, digesting it in with her green eyes, whcih seemed to sparkle off the light from Jy'aad's blade.
"If we can keep this place a secret.. who's to say this great city can't live once again? To work as a place mages can remain free from persecution while Connlaoth seems tobe going to hell. Even as a place of respite for those trying to get out of this gods-foresaken country... it could be a land mark.. a beacon of hope for those how are entrapped by their own fears."

ANd it was a big idea, and she didn't care if either men thought she was crazy. It was a wild idea, but if her hunch was right..
they might be able to do this, to use this as a secret city for the mages, well.. for whatever mages were still left. So far, only the major cities were having sweeps.. but it didn't mean that the rest of Connlaoth would be left alone. It was only in due time before the army continued it's mage sweep, and that every last one might be rounded up and sent north.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

"I'd hoped to remain hidden, but failing that I always assumed I'd run..." Miklo started, "and I've no family in this county to worry about. Although..." The scholar frowned and scratched his head for a moment, his previously thrilled expression fading from his face as he grew introspective. He'd not thought much about the consequences of what was happening in his country- he'd always just hid in his bookstore, expecting it all to pass over his head. He'd never thought about the others who might be suffering, or about taking any sort of action. Maybe now it was time he stood up and fought- metaphorically of course- for once...

But what about the risks? It would be far safer just to move on, to go back to Serendipity, maybe assist Fezzen with the business. Miklo wasn't a revolutionary; heck, he didn't even have the spirit to protest when that one bunch of drunks had tried to vandalize his store! He just wasn't equipped to handle this sort of thing...

No, no, no. There were people out there suffering, and it would be morally reprehensible to just run and hide, even if that were in his best interests. That's something Fezzen would do, and it was the one thing that had always disgusted him about his elder brother. Miklo clenched his fists- he didn't know what he could do, but he needed to try to do something. Stepping up besides Jinai, he offered his hand- which was, admittedly, shaking like crazy. "I don't know exactly how you plan to do all this..." he nervously stammered out. "But I'll help however I can."

visualspice

"Well, I don't know how realistic it is, but if we keep our damn mouths shut and plot this out with some care, we might actually be able to pull this off."
And Jinai found herself actually smiling. It had been so long since she had genuinely smiled, especially not since all this craziness had begun.
"To think, we could keep people safe, and be right under the guard's noses.."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

All this dreaming and scheming up bastions of hope was all well and good, but it occurred to Miklo that they were getting a little ahead of themselves. "Well, if I might make a suggestion, shouldn't we find a way to make sure we don't starve down here and figure out what's going on above us before we start planning?" he said meekly. As much as Miklo enjoyed studying the ruins, he'd feel a good deal more comfortable doing so if he knew he could leave.

The man shivered- he'd not exactly had time to grab his coat before the guard had chased him out, and it was cold down there. It didn't help that Miklo wasn't exactly brimming with muscle mass either.

visualspice

Jinai smirked.
"You are quite astute in your observations," Jinai said with a roll of her eyes. "Perhaps it's true what they say about glasses giving you more brains?" But her jest was playful, and such was the ways of Jinai Rinstgate as she turned away from the rest and began to step out, studying the remains with a sigh.

"But you're right, husband," she said, smirking over her shoulder to Miklo in jest. "Let's find a way to get the hell out of here, first. If we can find a safe and secluded path that would make this place accessible, but also beneath the soldier's radar, then it might be worth investigating into this for something beyond the fact it's just some ancient remains of a city."

TheHighwayman

Miklo tilted his head and said, "But my glasses are broken..." entirely missing the joke. Looking about, he noticed two tunnels stretching away into darkness to either side. "No identifiable way to open the door. No distinguishable signs in either direction... any pick would be a shot in the dark. Hrm... some have suggested always hugging the rightmost path in unfamiliar territory to avoid becoming lost. Seems as good a plan as any." Without waiting for a response, the scholar started off down into the darkness.

"By the way," he said as he looked back to make sure Jinai was following. "I don't believe you ever told me your name- unless my head injury was worse than I thought. Or do you prefer me simply calling you 'Miss' the whole time?"

visualspice

Jinai smirked at his question, silently following behind him before answering, "Jinai."
Her eyes were dancing against the glow from the archaeologist's sword, but it seemed right was as good as any path, and the group followed it silently.
"Should I keep calling you husband?" she asked after a time, her eyes taking in the path in silent wonder. Though now they were moving farther away from the ruins, there were still massive columns that supported the path they were now taking, and it was quite a beautiful sight to be seen. If she had the time in this life time, she would be interested to see what sort of history lay here, but as it were....
there were more important matters, and she was fully focused on her desire to make this place some safe haven for mages... that is, if she could. I mean, how hard could it be to hide away an entire underground ancient city from the guards?

TheHighwayman

Miklo just shrugged, eyes still darting about at everything the light fell on- though now it was less for pure scholarly reasons and more focused on finding anything that might lead to a way out. "Call me whatever you'd prefer," he said simply. Now, what would be really helpful is anything a city would have near or facing the outward boundary. Defensive structures would be the most obvious, but buildings meant to attract the eyes of travelers would also provide a clue. Inns were the first thing he thought of.

And then he realized he was making the assumption that any tunnel out would be towards the outside of the town- which was completely unfounded. If there was another way out- besides the unearthed dig site, if it was connected to these tunnels- there was no way to tell where it might be. Or at least, Miklo couldn't think of it.

The man shivered again and grimaced, muttering to himself. "Come on, Miklo. There has to be an answer. There's always an answer." It certainly stung the scholar's pride a little. This was the sort of circumstance where he should be at his best (or at least at something of an advantage compared to most), but the most he could do was stumble around half-blind in the dark. No, can't focus on that. Have to focus on getting out. I can worry about pride later.

visualspice

Jinai smirked as she heard the scholar continue to ramble to himself,but remained silent as the group continued to walk through the ruins. One thing was certain about these underground roads; they were dark, and rather cold. She hadn't been dressed for such a temperature change, and tried ignoring the goosebumps rising against her skin. So she walked a little faster, a little bolder as she remained in the forefront of the group by now. He eyes were adjusting to the limited lighting, so when she noticed a change in the density of darkness, she soon began to realize it must be light coming from somewhere.

"Down that way, it seems some sunlight is getting in. Perhaps there's an opening?" and she moved silently towards it, keeping her breath held.

They had made it to the excavation sight, and by the sounds of it, the guards up above ground seemed rather sore. Jinai shrunk back from the sun light, gritting her teeth before turning back towards Miklo.

"Looks like we can get out this way, but it's too dangerous. Too many guards. We'll either have to find another way out, or wait until night fall."

TheHighwayman

Miklo took a deep breath of the slightly fresher air. "Well, if we want to use this place as a safe haven, we'll need to find another way in anyway, won't we? We might as well keep looking." The man was confident they'd be able to find a their way back- as they'd been walking he'd been making a mental map of the place, and he was sure they could find some way to mark the proper path back. Come to think of it...

"Miss Jinai, do you have anything we could use to leave a trail back? I believe I can keep track of our turns, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious." The scholar scratched his chin and gave a thoughtful "hrmm." It had just occurred to him that if they did find a more hidden entrance, they'd need to find some way to keep the excavation from digging any deeper. He'd have to think on that.

visualspice

Jinai was prepared for most things, though most of her supplies consisted of drugs, poisons, or hallucinogenic potions. But she did have a few scraps of paper and a vile of ink, that of whic she took out first and handed to him, and a crumpled, feather quill.

"I don't have something like bread to make a trail, if that's what you mean, but what about this?" She then took out some parchment. "We could map our route and the way we come." She smirked. "Could come in handy if we plan to come back here and use this place. Besides, I see the way you're drooling, Book Boy. So I'll leave the map making to you. Perhaps you can even write a few notes on the relics that you see?"

TheHighwayman

Miklo quickly reached out to take the paper and quill. "Perfect!" He hurriedly began scribbling away, marking the route they'd taken already. "Sloppy, not ideal conditions for writing, but it will suffice. Lead the way, miss Jinai?" He paused for a moment and gave a slightly indignant twitch, remarking, "And I don't drool!"

The scholar fumbled with the materials for a moment before finally figuring out a way to walk and write at the same time, holding the ink and paper with his left arm folded inwards and the quill with his right. "We really should go, though. Don't want somebody looking in and spotting us."

visualspice

Jinai smirked at his quip to quickly defend himself about drooling.
"It's ok, I won't tell anyone about your quirks," she said playfully, purposely passing near to him so that her body would create a breeze and rustle the paper he was scribbling out the map on. She stepped away from the opening, where the light was and gestured to him, "So you coming?" He had made a fuss they shouldn't linger, after all, and he'd be able to see her green eyes shimmering before she returned to taking hte lead, heading back the way they had come.

She had seen a split int he path back a ways, but ignored it earlier when she had spotted the sunlit path. Now that she was back there, she paused in the entrance of it and frowned.
"It looks pretty narrow.."
There was a lot of fallen debris blocking the way. Either way, Jinai was hardly deterred and simply moved forward, climbing up and over a large pile of rubble before turning herself side ways to squeeze inbetween two fallen columns.

It was here she paused to look back at Miklo.
"Are you coming?"

TheHighwayman

Miklo followed the woman at a slightly reduced pace, furiously scribbling down anything that caught his eye in the margins of the paper. Important-looking images, notes on the architectural style of this long dead civilization, things he wasn't entirely sure how to classify, it was practically a treasure trove he took to marking down. The only concern was that when he was done there might not be that much room for the map.

"Well, I can either wait here alone until I'm discovered, or I can continue exploring these ruins in the company of an attractive woman. Logically speaking, there's not much reason for me not to be coming." The scholar struggled over the debris, spilling a little bit of ink on his shirt in the process and slipping- very clumsily- through the columns after her. "Interesting. This bit's in much worse condition than the other areas. I wonder why? Also, what were these columns even holding?"

visualspice

Jinai smirked at his attempt at a flirt. His face was still well buried in his map,a nd now, he had ink on his shirt. That made her smile broaden before she turned from him and began to examine the way.

"I Don't know, but let's just hope the hallway stays open. Seems there's more debris ahead.."
she frowned and swore between her teeth.
"And looks like a dead end."

Turning around, she held up the sword the archaeologist had given to her. She hadn't known why the deer-person had wanted to go back to the dig site, but hopefully he wouldn't tattle on them. THen again, it seemed he was in a bit of a spot as they were, but Jinai couldn't deny she felt a bit less uneasy without the peculiar third party there.  Then again, she wasn't sure why she felt more comfortable with her 'husband' either.

She stared him over, taking in his hair, which was now unruly and full of dust. That made her smirk, as did the ink spot she noted on his cheek.
Leaning forward, she examined the ink spot, keeping her face but an inch from his.

"You got an ink spot there." she said, and simply turned around, heading back out the way they had come.

TheHighwayman

Straightening up and dusting himself off, Miklo looked up to see Jinai right in his face. The scholar just blinked, unsure of exactly what she was trying to do, and then realized he'd been holding his breath when she turned away. He gave a puzzled look, and almost went to scratch his head- fortunately he remembered he was holding an ink vial, and thus avoided spilling ink all over his hair. "Erm... thanks?"

And then she went back the way they'd come. "Well, back through the rubble again," Miklo sighed. As he tried to scramble over the debris he got even more ink on his clothes, grimaced, and peered at Jinai.

"And I appreciate what you did earlier, by the way- back in the city I mean. Most people would've just kept running. I mean, it was kind of your fault I was in that situation to begin with, but still, thanks for helping me out of there." Miklo coughed and shivered again, quickening his pace to keep up with Jinai.

visualspice

"It's what I do," she stated simply, not looking back towards him as she made her way back to the main tunnel. She frowned, trying to think which way to go, but they had little choice, so she turned to lead him deeper into the heart of the tunnels, near to where they had initially fallen. She glanced around, and spotted three other paths they had not tried.

"Three paths but which one to take.." she hummed thoughtfully, then stepped over a broken statue to head to the closest one to their left.
"This one seems it will take us deeper into Uthlyn but away from the dig site where those guards were. Let's try this way." And she lead him onward, keeping the glowing sword infront of her which lightly capped her form in an eerie blue light.

TheHighwayman

The scholar just kept scribbling away on the paper, once in a while actually adding a bit to the map itself. His only words were his usual mutterings- he figured Jinai's guesses were as good as any, so there was nothing for him to add. Instead he turned to thinking- which unfortunately ended in a laundry list of things that could possibly go wrong.

What the ceiling collapsed on them? What if they ran into an expedition down here? What if that magic sword went out somehow? Miklo couldn't do anything about the first two, but he experimentally blew out a few sparks to try and calm his nerves regarding the third. He grimaced and shook his head- his own magic wasn't exactly a reassuring fallback.

His thoughts of impending disaster were, however, interrupted by a much more real, significantly less instantaneous, and much more audible concern. A loud grumble echoed throughout the hallway, and Miklo sadly looked down at his empty stomach. He knew there wasn't any point in complaining about it, but he also knew the odds of him getting a meal any time soon were slim to none.

visualspice

A hard biscuit was tossed suddenly his way. Then Jinai kept on walking. He'd hear her chuckling as she'd go.

"Eat that before you cause a cave in with your stomach."

TheHighwayman

What did she expect him to catch that with, his mouth? Though somehow, despite already having his hands more than full, he did manage to trap the biscuit in the crook of his arm. Setting the quill in the ink vial gave him a free hand to eat with- so he did. "Our footsteps would be more likely to disrupt the structure than simple sound... but thanks," he said between bites.

"So, if we do find some other exit, do you have any sort of plan in mind?" Miklo had a few ideas himself, but it was Jinai's idea to make a sanctuary for mages in the first place, and he was curious to see how far she'd thought about this. It should certainly be possible, but it wouldn't be easy to pull off.