Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Little Bit Dusty...

Started by TheHighwayman, June 15, 2013, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Well, the idea is if we can keep this a secret... well, I have my sources. I should be able to network a chain of command through these resources. The big thing is to make sure the soldiers and guards, and anyone else involved in the government doesn't find out about this place. From what that fox man told us, they cut the funding, and the government is hardly interested in this place... and, so far, no one knows how large these ruins are. If even for a brief amount of time we can keep this place safe, it would offer at least some reprieve from those trying to get out of this God foresaken country."

She shook her head, then paused to stare back at him curiously. "Why.." she gave a more scrutinizing glance at him. "Did you have something else in mind?"
And seh stepped towards him, grinning as she peered down at his scribbled notes and half-drawn map.
"Adventure now," she said, lifting upt he illuminated sword and staring up into his face. "Research later. There'll be plenty of time for us to play around in the dark once we figure this place out." THough as she turned to leave, she laughed. "That is... if this job doesn't become too big for just the two of us." And she smirked. Because well.. it very well could. This place was so massive an entire team of people ought to be scoping it out.

But hey... they had some time to kill, and Jinai's enthusiasm was through the roof. Though she kept herself seemign placid, the gears were working over time and she was constantly taking in every nook and craning, and formulating a plan inside her head of just who needed to be contacted, and when.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

"Well, I don't exactly have a real plan, but I do have a few ideas- for instance, how to make sure they don't discover the sanctuary. If we can find another way in and out, and then somehow collapse the dig site entrance... well, they'll just consider it too dangerous to work and leave it be for a while." Miklo shrugged and gave a wry smile. "That is assuming we can figure out how to do that. I was mostly just curious."

When she pointed out that the notes could wait, he peered back down at the map. It wasn't like it was hard to keep up with the map- a pair of straight lines every once in a while- but he supposed he should probably leave as much space as possible for the map itself. "Fair enough," he said.

After that Miklo fell silent- he could tell when somebody else was thinking, and he didn't want to disturb Jinai's planning. He just walked along, occasionally scratching down the next hallway or puffing out some more sparks- he'd love a way to warm himself right now, if only he could figure out how to make an actual fire. Plus, it'd give him something to boast of to his brother the next time they met; his elder sibling had always made fun of Miklo for his somewhat impotent magic... despite himself having none whatsoever.

If he ever saw him again, Miklo realized. He was technically a fugitive now- he'd thrown his sparks at those guards, and if he was discovered he'd either be tried for aiding a criminal or simply immediately sent to the camps... whichever was worse. The young man shivered again, and this time it wasn't thanks to the cold.

visualspice

"Cause a cave in.." Jinai smirked. "What a great idea." and she turned around, eyeing him up as he played around with his fizzling, failing sparks of mAgic. "Too bad those sparks don't get any bigger. They would definitely help with that sort of cause." She spoke, stepping up behind him and grinning broadly. She snuck another peak at the map. "How's that coming?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

"About as well as could be expected," Miklo replied. The scholar ducked his head out of the way to give her a clearer look at the paper. The lines were all a little sloppy, seeing as the scholar had to walk and write at the same time, but everything looked pretty well to scale. At some point the man had had the sense to mark the exit down to the dig site. It wasn't exactly a perfect map, but it would do for their purposes.

"As for the fire... well, I'm afraid we'll have to find something else to use. I've only once been able to do much more than this, and I was never able to replicate the incident. Sorry." As if to demonstrate, he blew a few more of the sparks into the air. "Some mage I am. Unfortunately it would seem Connlaoth doesn't care whether or not you're actually capable of using the magic for anything."

visualspice

She glanced down towards the map, smirking again as she let her eyes trace over it. "Not half bad, book boy." Then at his latter comment...

"It's ok," Jinai said, patting his shoulder with a grin. "It's not about the power of the mage, but his heart." Then she winked and added, "And his intentions. But come on, we've got a long way to go, and thankfully a ton of daylight to kill." She rolled her eyes and turned away from him, continuing to walk through the darkness, nothing but the meager light from the sword coming out and it was only then she realized she ought to stick a bit close to Miklo.. he was probably having such a hard time seeing in the darkness, and here she had been, moving swiftly on ahead. So she hung back, and kept on moving.

"It's strange," she commented as she looked up at the columns supporting the large, gaping halls. "All of these columns follow a theme. They all seem to have that child carved into them in some manner." She paused curiously before one, staring into the recessed eyes of the child goddess with a tilt of her head. "Know of any religions or empires that had once worshipped children?" Then seh paused to consider.. "Unless this is an old fortress of dwarves.." but then she quickly shook away that idea. This place didn't look dwarven, and even SHE knew that and wasn't all that scholarly. So she shrugged it off and continued on.

TheHighwayman

Miklo grinned. "No, not dwarves. If it were built by dwarves it's unlikely there'd be any collapsed hallways or heavy structural damage at all. Besides, it's too decorative. As for my own suspicions... well, I'm honestly at a loss. I've not come across anything close enough to be directly related to this place." The scholar stopped suddenly, eyes locked on one of the carvings. "Though some of this does seem somewhat familiar. Perhaps I'm simply thinking along the wrong lines."

With a shrug- and nearly dropping his supplies in the process, he'd need to watch that- he started walking again, now having given up on the sparks for now, "Perhaps instead of known civilizations, other discovered remnants of the past, I should try thinking of fragments of legends, bits of what might be either history or myth..."

At that the scholar withdrew into his mumbling once again, suggesting and discounting idea after idea. Once or twice he got so caught up in his thoughts that he nearly bumped into Jinai, and soon enough there were a few more bits of ink on his clothes from where he'd carelessly let the pen drip. He did, however, manage to keep up his previous efficiency at mapping the route they took.

visualspice

"Watch it, book man," Jinai said, looking back at him after he had bumped into her. "My ass ain't that big."

TheHighwayman

Jinai's warning snapped Miklo out of his thoughts, and he hurriedly took a step or two away. "Oh, sorry miss. I may have an answer to your question though- or at least half an answer. I recall vaguely reading some legend- a fragment of a legend really- about an island nation who believed that all life had sprung from a goddess. The name eludes me at the moment, and I can't quite fathom why ruins of such a place would be here, but I recall the book having a similar sketch to these figures. That's why they looked familiar." The scholar gave a dismissive wave of his free-ish arm. "It's probably nonsense, but it's the best nonsense I can come up with."

((OOC: Hope him kinda-sorta having heard about it is okay. I can fix it otherwise.))

visualspice

"Well, unless the legend tells us of a way to get out of here, we can discuss that later.." and she smirked, but then peered back over at him. "You're still keeping up on that map?" she inquired again, leaning the sword between the pair of them so she could see the paper and-
Suddenly screamed and dropped it as a spider suddenly dangled in between them.

Cursing, Jinai picked upt he glowing sword. "Damn bugs," she spat, then turned around, shaking her head as she returned to the path, brushing at the invisible spider webs that might be on her arm.

TheHighwayman

Miklo shot her a somewhat annoyed glance. "Of course I'm still- wyaaah!" It wasn't the spider that startled him so much as Jinai's sudden screaming. "It's a spider, miss Jinai, nothing to scream over. Likely not even venomous." He didn't really know that for sure, but he figured he might as well try to reassure her.

Then he looked down and nearly had a heart attack. He'd jumped when Jinai had yelled, and much of the ink had flown out onto the map. Large chunks of it were now completely obscured- perhaps they could find their way back with some effort, but the map would no longer be much help beyond that. Perhaps worse, there wasn't much ink remaining to chart out where they went from here. "Umm... miss Jinai..?"

visualspice

Jinai wanted to be as far away from the spider as possible. To think, just a simple little thing like spiders gave her the chills. She shivered, and almost ignored his words before she paused and turned around.
"Yes?" Then her eyes went wide, noticing the large, big black blot of ink on the paper.

TheHighwayman

Miklo was panicking pretty badly at this point- it had been reflex, nothing he could have done to stop it, but what were they going to do now? "Okay, we just need a plan, that's all. Just calm down, don't panic Miklo, there's a way to figure this out." After a moment he'd regained his composure enough to explain- though he was still clearly pretty distraught. "You yelled, and I jumped, and- and- and this happened. What do we do?"

visualspice

Jinai continued to stare at the map, and stared and stared before she sighed and looked back up at him.
"Do you always talk to yourself when you've made a mess of things?" She reached into her bag and pulled out another sheet of paper. "Here, let's work at redrawing and salvaging what we can. I'd rather not get lost down in a place like this."
ANd suddenly the dark, cold walls felt more like a grave as she shivered, bent and retreived mre ink and tried, along with Miklo, to redraw the map, whcih was an interesting feat in itself.

"So what hall was this?" then an "Oh, I see," And "Move your wrist, I can't draw the rest of this shape." And "Stop hogging the map, we're both working on fixing this!"

Finally it seemed they had gotten it fixed into some semblance of what they remembered as Jinai sat back on her heels and sighed. Not only was Miklo covered in ink, but Jinai had a few smudges over her hands, cheeks and nose as well.

"I guess.. that's good enough. Hopefully we didn't miss anything."

TheHighwayman

Miklo stared at the map, scratching his head. "It appears to be about right. Close enough for our purposes, at the very least. We should stay away from that area over there-" he pointed to a small section of the map with a lot of short, interconnecting hallways and a lack of very distinguishable rooms. "-as one mistake could get us lost in there, but otherwise I think we're safe." Perhaps it would be more accurate to say he hoped they were safe, but what they had would have to do.

Standing up, head bowed, he held the map out to Jinai. "Perhaps it would be best if you held on to this one." He was glad they'd been able to salvage what they could, but he knew full well that that slip up could have easily gotten them both killed. They were relatively lucky, in the end... and Miklo doubted they'd be that lucky twice. It was just sloppy, and he shouldn't have let himself be so easily startled.

visualspice

Jinai sighed, and took the map and ink, and handed over their light source.
"Alright the, you lead the way." Her patience in this place was wearing thin.

TheHighwayman

Miklo took the sword, fumbling with it for a moment before getting used to the weight. Holding it up above his head so the light would shine further out, he shot Jinai a final apologetic look before moving off. It occurred to him that they couldn't be far off from the other side of the ancient city- if they kept walking they'd be directly under Uthlyn soon, and the ruins couldn't extend that far, could they?

After a few more minutes of walking he paused and held a hand to his ear, then shook his head and took another step... and then stopped again. This happened two or three times before he turned back to Jinai and asked, "Can you hear anything?"

visualspice

Jinai, who had been pausing to take a look at the notes he had scribbled on the other, ruined piece of paper; lifted her head up now with a blink. Then she held her breath, looked upwards and thought she heard a noise as well.

"Yes... sounds like..." she made a face, uncertain what to make of the muffled noises, then slowly began to realize.
"It sounds like running water.." and slwoly she approached his side, craning her neck to look up at the dark ceiling above.
"But where.. is it coming from? Is it an underground stream.." she then sniffed. "The sewer?" it was hard to tell.

TheHighwayman

"Can't be Uthlyn's sewers- we haven't gone far enough, and if the sewers were connected to this place it would have been discovered when Uthlyn was being built. Certainly sounds like running water though." Miklo pressed onward, giving Jinai a hopeful look. "If there's water, it's likely coming from somewhere. Likely somewhere above. Besides, we'd need a source of fresh water to provide a sanctuary anyway."

The scholar quickened his pace- this was the first good news they'd had in a while, now if they could just find where that sound was coming from...

((OOC: Half hoped you'd go with the boulder, but I guess that's just my sadistic streak talking.  :) ))

visualspice

OOC: Oh who said they were clear of any boulders or traps? :D
It's  a long dark walk they still have ahead of them B|
------------

Jinai smirked. It seemed the 'librarian' could focus his brains on something other than the ruins. Her smirk grew.
"Yes.. with a fresh water source, it'll make it a little easier to keep people here." But as she glanced around, it seemed as if it was impossible to ever distinguish where it was coming from, and that made her frown. Tucking back her hair, she moved a little faster before pausing as the pair of them came to what seemed like...

"A dead end." She frowned, but then noticed something.... interesting and stepped forward. "Hey, bring that light over here.." and as it was cast in her direction, she smoothed a hand over the wall. "This is a false wall." She gave it a knock to confirm. Yep, definitely hollow.

Interesting.. but why?

TheHighwayman

"Very odd. Perhaps we could find a way to tear or knock it down? Or should we go around?" Miklo felt at the wall, prodding at it for weaknesses. It felt strong enough that they wouldn't be able to break through it- at least with what they had available to them. Nor would the sword be an effective enough tool to dig through.

The bigger question, however, was indeed why it was here to begin with. It certainly sounded like there was water on the other end, so why would the city close it off? If there were danger of some sort, surely they'd want to make any protection from it permanent? A false wall served only to conceal... but conceal what?

"Jinai," Miklo started. "What are the chances that this place has been found before?" It was little more than a guess, but given their proximity to Uthlyn, the lack of any valuables in their path, and the lack of any other good explanations at the moment, it was one of the first things that came to the scholar's mind.