Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Little Bit Dusty...

Started by TheHighwayman, June 15, 2013, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Well, we haven't seen any piles of gold about, so perhaps when the city was first abandoned, it might have been looted. Though I didn't consider you a real adventurer type."S he eyed him over. "What are you thinking about in that red-haired brain of yours?" she said, poking at the side of his temple, then leaned in real close to his face. "You thinking there's a hidden meaning behind this door? Or..."s he paused to consider with a gasp. "You don't think it's a trap?" and as if on cue, something clicked up above. And there, dangling precariously above them, was a trap door, about ready to let loose the biggest boulder she had seen in all of her life.

"Fucking Angsar's balls, the fuck is that!?" she said, leaping away from it and scrambling backwards in her tracks. Her eyes were as big as mill wheels as she stared at it.
"Hey- Miklo! Get the hell away from there! That boulder is about to-"

But it was too late, the trap holdings beneath it finally gave way in another click, and the boulder crashed to the ground, trembling the earth like an earthquake, and without warning, it began to roll their way, it creating an ominous roar as it rolled down the path.

Not wasting another minute, she latched onto Miklo's wrist and dragged him away.
"MOVE, MIKLO! MOVE!!" and she was nearly tripping over her own two feet as they hammered against the floor. GOds! They were going to be turned into human pancakes if that thing caught up to them!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

"I'm thinking that maybe- oh, not good." Miklo just stared up at the mechanism, rooted to the spot. If Jinai hadn't pulled him along he'd likely have been a red-headed pancake then and there. "I suppose that answers that- wyaaah!"

And then they were running. Miklo was right behind Jinai every step of the way, resisting the urge to look back at the impending boulder. He could hear it though. It was gaining, getting closer and closer. It had already halved the distance between them, and still the sword shone no light on a way out of the rock's path.

Miklo could feel himself slowing already, the sword's weight dragging him down. If it were just an ordinary blade he'd have tossed it aside in a heartbeat, but it was their only source of light. If he didn't lighten his load though, he'd slow them both down and get Jinai flattened as well as himself. Wait, maybe there is a way out of this.

Giving a heave, the man chucked the sword towards the wall in such a way that it would land just barely safe from the boulder- it was a surprisingly good throw, at least for Miklo. Soon enough that left them running in darkness, and between panicked breaths the scholar could be heard counting in tens. If he was right about the timing they could slip into the nearest side-passage. If he was wrong... he didn't want to think about that. "...Forty...fifty... sixty... now!" With that he darted to the side, praying to whatever gods or goddesses might listen that he'd be able to pull Jinai along in time.

visualspice

Jinai was panting, her heart pounding in her ears, but no where near as defeaning as the roar of the rock behind them. ALl of her limbs were sore, her mind on high alert, and as they continued to run. It was a peculiar time for her to try to find faith, but now was the time she was scramblign to do it as she was internally praying to whatever Gods she could.

And then that happened and Jinai watched in horror as Miklo tossed the sword aside.
"Did you just!?" she stammered, her jaw falling open in dismay. "Did you just toss the lighted sword aside!?"
She grit her teeth as they were plummeted into darkness.

"You ass hole!" She could have punched his face in. "Now we're going to die in the dar-ARRRRRRRK!" and the last part was screamed out in a high pitched scream as Jinai was yanked with Miklo into a side passage, evading the boulder by mere inches as he felt the breeze from it roll on by. She was pressed so tightly against him seh hadn't realized she was clinging on so tight, or so near until she was swearing in his face.

"MIKLO!" she shouted, her voice sounding as angry as a thousand demons as her shout echoed all around them.  But then suddenly, she cupped his cheeks, smashed her lips against his passionately before pulling away in a gasped laugh. "We're alive! You did it!" And she laughed again and added with a shake of her head, "Somehow, you did it. But we're alive! Praise whatever Gods answered that call."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheHighwayman

Miklo frantically tried to apologize in between desperate gasps for air. "But, I, but- no choice, would have been- only way- I'm- mmmph!" Miklo was as surprised at the kiss as he was before, though perhaps this time a bit more appreciative and slightly less confused. When she pulled away he blinked, face beet red- though she wouldn't exactly be able to see it.

"We're not in the clear yet," he muttered. "Let's see if the sword survived, then we can celebrate not being dead." With that he stepped back against the wall- making sure he still had a hold of Jinai's hand- and sidled over until he felt the edge of the wall. Heart in his throat, he took a deep breath and peered around the corner to see...

Nothing. The corridor was as dark as the rest. At some point, whether it was from a lack of a wielder or because it was shattered by the boulder, the blade's light had gone out. "Not good. Maybe it simply went out? Have to check." Feeling his way along the wall, he walked until he got to about the point where he thought he threw the weapon, and for a few terrified moments he rooted around for it... Finally his hands touched metal, and he let out a cheer! "Yes! Now we just have to- woah!" At that the blade flared up, perhaps brighter than before.... though that just might have been the contrast to the total darkness of a moment before.

visualspice

"Right," she agreed, smirkign as she followed after him. She was feeling so excited to be alive, she could have jumped Miklo then and there. Role playing out him as her 'husband' would be interesting. And how loud could he scream in these echoing passage ways?
But it was best not to think of that now. They were hardly in the right predicament for her to try to seduce him anyways (not that she figured it'd be hard if she really wanted to), and hell, this place would be quite the interesting location for such an event but.. alas, even she was much too focused on finding the sword.

So she kept her mouth closed, her hand tightly connected to his, and once he found it, she breathed out a sigh of relief, but then when swearing up a storm once it flashed to life.

"Gods.."s he covered her eyes, dropping to one knee and groping the wall. "I think that damn sword just blinded me."

TheHighwayman

Miklo staggered back a bit from the light, himself- not that it did much good, seeing as he was the one holding it, but it was reflex. "Argh- no, not bright enough to cause lasting damage. Our vision should return momentarily- ah, there we go." Miklo blinked a few times, then started forward. "Think the boulder broke through the wall? Wait here, there could be a second trap."

It probably sounded a lot braver than Miklo actually felt, as he was nearly trembling as he drew close to where the trap had been sprung, listening for the slightest sound of anything out of the ordinary. If a bug had landed on him he'd probably have jumped half his height. "Well, let's see... Oh, by the way, still have the map?"

visualspice

Jinai nodded and silently followed after him. Her heart was pounding so heavily within her chest, she was afraid it would hammer clean out of her body. And as she crept behind Miklo, being about just as cautious as he was, when he asked about the map, she blinked and looked down.
"Shit.." and the words echoed around them in a series of hisses. She lifted it up, but it was now in two pieces. "Looks like I ripped the damn paper in half."

TheHighwayman

Miklo peered at the ripped paper, shaking his head. "And I suppose the ink was likely spilled in our run? Ah well, we should be okay, I think. If that noise turns out to be running water after all, we might just have our way out." With that he turned back and felt for the wall- which, he felt with disappointment, the boulder hadn't smashed down. "A fake wall and then a trap... but why? There has to be something behind it."

He poked and prodded at the wall, looking for some kind of switch or something. "No, no, no... random efforts likely won't do it... Perhaps there's some clue, some hint..." The scholar held up the sword and grimaced. "Can't see any... what do you think, miss Jinai?"

visualspice

Jinai frowned. She was still trying to mentally recover from the boulder nearly crushing them, so she hesitated as she moved around. But then she thought hse saw something and approached it cautiously.

"Hey.. what's this?" but a click under her foot had her yelping, but before the pair could stop it, the walls began to rumble....

OOC: YOu can decide why the walls are a rumbling <3

TheHighwayman

Miklo had been leaning against one of the walls, inspecting a strange break in the stone, when Jinai stepped on the switch. "I don't know, perhaps another form of tra-" slam. A large stone slab fell down from the ceiling, cutting off the way back and landing about an inch away from Miklo's nose. He just stared at it for a moment, not sure whether to give thanks to whatever supernatural entities might have kept that from crushing his skull in or to panic at their sudden entrapment.

Then he noticed the rumbling was still audible, which meant whatever was happening wasn't finished yet. He looked frantically about for whatever was about to kill them in hopes of finding a way out, and soon enough he noticed that the hand he'd had on the wall was slowly being pushed towards him. "The walls! They're closing in!"

It was a very slow process, by the looks of it. They might have as long as ten minutes before they were totally crushed, but that wasn't exactly the most comforting thought.

((OOC: Hurray for cliched deathtraps!... Now we just have to think of a good reason for the three different levels of security on this one hallway... >_>...))

visualspice

Jinai backed away from the approaching wall, pressing her back up against Miklo's. She couldn't believe the luck and gave a shake of her head.

"Yeah, and if we don't find a way out of here, we're going to be crushed!"
Her heart was racing a mile a minute and so was her brain. What they hell could be done? Her eyes flicked around the room, up, down, sideways, long ways, at their feet, but she saw nothing.

"Shit!" she moved forward, tried to pusht he wall back but to no avail. Turning to Miklo then, she shouted, "Well don't just stand there, do something!"
And she looked around, panicked.

"Look for some sort of lever, or recess, or...anything." Gods! Well, in short, at least this was not how she predicted she'd die. And she supposed if she was crushed at least it wouldn't be a lonely grave but damn! She did NOT want to know how death felt when it was literally squeezed out of her by these moving walls.

OOC: lol

TheHighwayman

Miklo was already worried enough, but when he heard Jinai panicking he nearly lost it. What was he supposed to do? The sword wouldn't shed enough light for them to see much at once, and if there was some trick to getting out, they wouldn't be able to find it without more light. The scholar looked at the sword, willing it to grow brighter, hotter, something. Right about now the man was more terrified than he'd ever been in his life; this was far worse than the boulder had been. At least with the boulder he'd known that escape was theoretically possible. There could very well not be any way out of this trap- in fact, it would make a good deal of sense, if this were a fail-safe or backup for the boulder.

As Miklo stared ineffectively at the sword, he could feel his own semi-useless magic stirring. It was stronger than before, however, more volatile, harder to- oh crud it was coming out! The young man felt his small (though much more than usual) power flow through the weapon, causing the flame to grow larger and brighter... enough to clearly illuminate the entirety of their relentlessly shrinking space.

For a moment he forgot all about the impending wall-based death, however, as he gave an astonished cheer. "That's it! Strong emotion- anger, passion, fear! That's the key! Maybe now my magic will actually be good for something..." Miklo coughed and glanced about. "...If we can get out of here alive, that is. Now... what would the key be? Something their own people would instinctively go to, so none of them would fall victim to it... Jinai, see any of those children around here?"

visualspice

Jinai shielded her eyes from the sudden blinding light from the sword.
"What on earth.." but then as he explained, JInai only growled.
"Look, if you need passion, we can take care of that later, right now, we need to find some quick way to get out of this place."
And at his suggestion, she ground her teeth together, fists clenched as she looked around for something, anything when she finally noticed..
"The ceiling! Look!" and she pointed up to a faded-painted tile of the child-goddess they had seen befre, and residing within her cupped hands was a unreflective, dark black jewel.

"Do you think that could seriously mean anything? Maybe that gem the child is holding is a trigger to stop the walls... but how on earth could we even reach it?" They were as good as pancakes.

TheHighwayman

Hrm... well out of reach. Perhaps one of them could reach it if they climbed on top of the other? Or perhaps they could throw something at it? "Maybe if we hit it with something?" Miklo suggested, figuring that was the easiest thing to try first. Now that he looked again, the gem was high enough that even if they stood on top of each other, it would still be a sword's length away. Maybe if whoever was on top tried to poke at it with the blade they could hit it, but it was best to try the simple answer first.

The scholar felt about in his pockets- he had a few coins, but nothing else he could really throw. Worth a shot, right? Unfortunately the man had never had the best aim, and most of his throws bounced away to either side of the image. One finally connected... but it didn't seem to hit hard enough to do anything.

visualspice

Jinai watched, before growling and giving Miklo's arm a shove.
"Stop wasting your coin and our time," she growled."Help me get up there.I can probably reach it with that sword."

TheHighwayman

"Alright. Here." Miklo handed her the sword- which dimmed a bit when it changed hands- knelt down, and cupped his hands. This wasn't going to be easy- Jinai was a good bit smaller than he was, but the man wasn't exactly a wall of muscle. He just hoped she could get at the gem quickly, or they'd both end up toppling over. "On three, step on my hands and I'll lift you up. Ready? One... two... three!"

visualspice

Jinai nodded, and kept a firm grip upont he sword, her arms then resting upon his shoulder. And on three, she pushed up, stepping into his hands as he lifted her precariously up towards the ceiling. SHe felt herself waver within his grip, but the walls were closing in fast, which worked for the brief moment she almost fell into it and it supported her wait as it shook and moved closer and closer. Now resting and moving her weight against Miklo, her legs shifted uncomfortably ontop of his shoulders as she strained her arms up and up, reaching for the stone that appeared just a breath out of reach, despite the extension of the sword on her arm.

But with all of the strain, the shaking weight of Miklo's hold below her, the sweat on her face and the walls that were coming in- she knew she had little choice but to jump. And without warning, she kicked off of Miklo's shoulders and leaped into the air, and thrust the blade out. It struck the gem and set a shower of sparks flying out, but she hit it, and as she did the black gem lit up- and so did the walls as they froze all around them-

but Jinai didn't have a chance to register this to celebrate as she suddenly fell into a painful heap ontop of Miklo upon the floor.
The sword had fallne out of her hand, clattering loudly upon the stone floor before it's magic light went out. ANd all she could hear was her breathing, and that's hwen she sat up suddenly.
"Did it work!?"

And a moment later, glowing blue runes lit up upon the walls, nearly blinding her as she shielded her eyes, and a noise was heard, shaking the floors, and as her eyes adjusted, she noticed a thin hallway opened up to them- now illuminated by the glowing blue runes.

Jinai's eyes widened, her mouth gaping open at the beauty of the walls, and well, from the horrendous amount of luck they had.
"We did it!" she shouted, her words echoing around them, then she laughed, tossig her head back and that echoed around them as well. She could not believe this! What luck! SHaking her head, she moved to stand, and offered a hand down to Miklo.
"Looks like we survived yet another trap." Pulling him to his feet, she tucked back her blonde hair behind her ears and looked around. "I wonder where this path leads?"

TheHighwayman

Jinai landing on top of him had caused Miklo to hit his head on the stone floor, and for a moment all he could hear was the ringing in his ears... and then he realized that meant there was no rumbling. "It would appear... it worked. That or we're both dead." Miklo peered around at the darkness- and then went wide-eyed as the walls lit up. "Well, I suppose that answers that." The man gratefully took the offered hand, and scooped up the dropped blade. "A fake dead-end and two traps... whatever's this way ought to be quite interesting indeed."

Miklo offered the sword to Jinai. "We don't need it for light anymore, and if we need its other purpose, you probably know how to use it better than I do." It was a simple fact- no point in pretending otherwise. And while there probably wasn't another living soul down there with them regardless, he figured it was best to be safe.

"Ladies first?" he asked, peering down the hallway and giving an exaggerated bow.

visualspice

Jinai smirked and accepted the sword.
"Very well," and she gave an extra sway of her hips. Might as well let him enjoy the show as she walked down the lighted path. It was definitely an interesting thing to witness as her eyes read across the glowing, shapes and figures of light.

"What sort of magic do you think this is? You'd think all of Connlaoth might be in a uproar if they knew about this place, especially since it's obviously not a place of Angsar." This made her murmur her thoughts outloud, "Like.. a religion or civilization of people before Angsar's time..."

TheHighwayman

The scholar scratched his head. "I don't know. Whoever did this knew what they were doing though. Many magics fade somewhat over time. This looks like it could have been done yesterday." He hmmed, contemplating her other point- with some difficulty thanks her rather distracting walk.

"If it predates Uthlyn long enough to be entirely buried, these people probably did live well before Angsar's time... I really hope the church doesn't get their hands on anything here. Most of them might very well destroy it without a second thought." Miklo's voice was practically dripping with scorn. He didn't even buy into the gods of his own birthplace, let alone myths of some holy warrior who became a god after his death. Oh, sure, he'd lived- history could tell him that easily enough, but he certainly doubted he still had any direct hand in the world. And anyone who'd wipe out traces of the history for the sake of legends was a fool in his book.

Miklo shook his head, trying not to think about that. What mattered was what they were doing then and there. "So," he started. "any guesses as to what's at the end of this?"