Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Political Party

Started by visualspice, June 18, 2013, 04:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Completely taken off guard by his approach, Kella let out a rather loud gasp, whirled aorund then backed away nearly knocking over a nearby vase int he process. She blanched.

"Lord.. Lord Shanley?" and she stared down at the kerchief, not knowing if she should take it or not, ad blushed realizing her secret tears had just been discovered. She turned away from him after accepting it.

"You.. you startled me I...  something from the air must have gotten into my eyes. It's very.. very silly really,"s he began, faking a laugh at herself to try to deter him from the truth behind those tears.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall watched her reaction with a sympathetic and worried look, " Pardon me for being so bold, my lady, but your lying is even worse than my ability to pour a glass of wine. " He said with humor , but then added more seriously , "If that man is causing you any trouble at all, I could have a word with Lord Delgrin and have him thrown out. "

ooc: Wow. Really short. One of my shortest, I think. o.o

visualspice

Kella found herself blushing at his first comment, even giving a small smile; but at his last comment, she paled.
"Oh, n-no, it is not necessary. I just.. I'm not used to being out at such events that I just-"
And as she was fumbling over her words, she was elated to see her brother approach the pair, wine goblet in hand.

"There you are, Kella. Seems your enjoying some fresh air? Have you gotten the chance to dance yet?" But then he made a look towards the gentleman to her side and eyed him over, but kept a pleasant enough smile, but it was obvious he had a guardsman quality about him. "Why, hello there.. Duke Shanley, is it?" he raised a brow at him at the question. "I do believe we've met once or twice. How are things fairing in Ardal? I rarely see you at such events."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Conall took a step back, not missing the signs. He had been an elder brother once and understood. "Lord Turgall, it's been some time.  " He gave a slight bow. In fact, their last meeting may have been at his family's funeral. He frowned slightly and chose to keep that bit of information to himself. There was hardly cause to dampen anyone's spirits over the past. 

"Ardal fares well enough, thank you for inquiring, though it rests upon a rather tentative peace. It's a bit of a headache keeping disgruntled mages and religious zealots from tearing one another apart. Needless to say, it keeps me away from most casual functions like this. I've often wondered how my father managed the duchy without his beard turning grey. " He finished with some amusement. 

"Forgive me, Lord Turgall. I meant not to corner your relation. Looking at the pair of you side by side, I'd venture to guess that you're siblings? You look so much alike. A compliment, I assure you. Anyway,  I'd never had the honor of meeting her before and thought to introduce myself. "

He debated informing the man about Klaust, but were he to do so then perhaps he'd have a moment to speak with the man alone about it. Kella might have protested and Conall couldn't understand why. It worried him.

visualspice

Blaith flashed Conall a smile, exposing the whites of his teeth.
"Siblings we are,"a nd he stepped nearer to his sister, wrapping one arm around her shoulder in a half hug. His grin grew. "We're twins, actually."

Then a nod to his other statements, "So I have heard of such things, but not the details. I hope things will work out for the best. These are trying times, I'm sure. But the laws are what they are, and was this nation not founded on Angsar's will?" It was best not to let anyone know he was a mage supporter himself, and Kella bit her lips nervously. She didn't want to continue on with this conversation, knowing full well Klaust migh tbe about, but it seemed the other man had vanished.

But then the song changed and Blaith perked up to it.
"Oh, isn't this your favorite song, Kella?" he said, grinning down to his sister. "The Roses of The Valley." He laughed recalling, "I remember you dancing with father all the time over this. Come, why don't you and I share in this dance?"

And with not so much as a word, only a blush, she nodded to her brother and turned to Lord Shanley.

"It was nice talking to you, Lord Shanley. Perhaps we ought to speak again later this night." And with a humble bow of her head, her brother agreed.
"Yes, it would be nice to play catch up. I'm afraid I'm not as sociable as I was when I was younger. But look at me, talking as if I were an old man!" and he laughed. "Maybe later we can join in for the banter over politics." And he rolled his eyes, glancing over at the parlor room. "And it seems Kat has already begun. She really has quite a large mouth on her, and too strong of a will. I hope she learns to keep herself in check. " and he shook his head and turned to Kella. "Well, ready for that dance?"

And the pair disappeared off onto the dance floor, all the while heated conversations could be heard inside the parlor room, where a certain other Duke's voice had come from.

"I don't know, mage laws are hardly strict enough. Just the other week, we lost more tax money to the mage bandit who roams our streets," Duke Calent began bitterly.

"Well, perhaps the mages wouldn't have to steal if they were allowed to take more jobs that paid more money? Did you ever think some of the laws in your duchy migh tbe suppressing them?" The second voice, the one arguing back- it was Kat's.

The conversation went quiet a moment as Calent drank at his wine.

"What would you know about politics?" Another man asked who was in full support of Duke Calent's conversation and ideals. "You are not even of nobility," he gave Kat a scrutinzing gae over his hawk like nose. "Just a side blood line, and a woman. This is a conversation amongst us dukes, my lady. Perhaps you would fair better on the dance floor?"

Katahnia felt her blood broil.

"Yes, but even a woman can see when silly laws are suffocating the men they rule. Other countries have the same problem, and over populations that aren't even mages. The extra tax laws I heard you are forcing upon just your mage population alone, sounds like a deciteful way to rid yourself of the magic users, who had no choice at all but to be born with magics."

"So says who? If it is Angsar's will tehy are born here, they fall prey to Angsar's laws!" the other man added.

Calent had remained quiet, his eyes cold upon Katahnia.

"The duke of Allar has many a good reason for what he does, and his Duchy is quite successful, and we have wonderful foreign relations."

"But not good relations amongst your people."

"We have GREAT relations with our people," the man spat back bitterly at Katahnia's comment. "I hardly count mages who try to defy our laws as good people." he rolled his eyes. "They have every choice to leave this land if they do not approve."

Katahnia narrowed her gaze upon them.
"And they would if they could, but your duchy bleeds them poor." ANd hse looked righ into Calent's eyes, and still, he said nothing.

The man sighed ad looked around. "Does anyone own this girl? She really needs to be taken off... though perhaps this is why you haven't a dance partner?" the man said, lowering his gaze to the floor as he shook his head.

Katahnia's face went red. Oh the things she could say to tear him to pieces!

Paradox

"Indeed? " Yes, he could see the strong resemblance between them.

Conall nodded, "It's not a very popular topic, I'll admit. Believe me, I've made no efforts to hide the happenings in my lands, but there are...certain parties that refuse to recognize the potential threat. Enough of that though"

And ...he missed another opportunity to request a dance.

Ansgar's beard!

He bowed though and offered the Turgall's a genuine smile, " I'd like that. Have fun , you two. " His eyes followed the twin's departure for a moment before moving over towards the outspoken lady from before. By the look on Calent's face, it didn't appear as though she were saying anything that he appreciated.

He made his way back inside to the parlor room and feigned not noticing Calent or his lackeys until he heard one man ask for Katahnia to be taken away. 

"Shame on you, my Lords. You're slinging mud already and you weren't even kind enough to wait for my arrival? I'm wounded." Conall interrupted with humor. In truth he wasn't in the mood to enter some ridiculous debate that went in circles as they always tended to, but he was appalled by their manner. Even if Blaith was right. Katahnia was vocal, it seemed. And , he recognized the woman. The bold young lady related to Kella of Turgall.

Katahnia was outspoken, but certainly not deserving of such disdain.
"Her social station or the lack thereof is not a cause for such ridicule. She is a citizen of Connlaoth and a guest of Lord and Lady Delgrin. You ought to , at the very least , respect her on a basic human level and give her words consideration. That is the right of all people by Ansgar's Will or have you been neglecting visits to Church, hm? Besides, close your ears to the people's voice – even the minorities and you may soon find yourself with greater enemies in shadows. "

Conall was looking specifically at Calent for a moment.

"Duke Shanley, you finally show," The tone of greeting was lukewarm. Such feigned politeness that wouldn't have been there had Conall been of , as some nobles liked to call it, 'lesser blood'.

"Indeed, "Conall gave the man a scrutinizing gaze, "I'm not usually one to intrude, but your heated voices drew me from the festivities. What is this about? "

He'd heard a lot more than he'd let on, but it was always amusing to see what manner of bullshit people would try to feed him to present their side of a story in a more favorable light.

visualspice

The plump man and rosied cheek, brown bearded man that acted as Calent's visor turned to Lord SHanley, rolling his eyes in mockery as he approached, then stuffed more wine into his throat as the little duke went prattling on. Though as Conall finished speaking, his grin grew so wide, it seemd to split his beard in half.

"So I've heard you've been ill?" he said, knowing that sort of thing would wound the man's pride, and he was always great at adding salt to one's wound. "Perhaps that's why you are so late in your punch lines, eh? Always the one to try to point out faults and follies that arne't even there." And the man's eyes sparkled at the challenge.

Katahnia rolled her eyes.
"If you are the men that compromise the leaders of this nation, Connlaoth is clearly doomed," Katahnia added in, her own quick jab to the session. The visor turned to her, smiling darkly.

"ANd it's a good thing your opinion will hardly matter in the long haul, my dear. Why dont' you and Lord Shanely just go dance?" he suggested bitterly, taking a long swing of his wine. "This is not a conversation for children." He gave a sniff, scrutinizing Conall.

"That's enough, Vesrik. Duke Shanley only speaks his mind," and Calent's cool, green eyes kept upon him. "ANd he has every right to speak on his own behalf." Then he turned his gaze to Katahnia. "Too bad this conversation is at a close." And he bowed to the pair before turning to Katahnia and took her by the hand, kissing the top of it gently. "Perhaps we can speak of these things at another time? I must say it is refreshing to hear a lady actually caring about politics, even if I believe she has been mislead. But, I fear I must be summoned elsewhere."

Katahnia, blushing lightly, simply nodded, and smirked at the challenge. "Perhaps so." And as the man and his lackies left, she sighed.

"Men and their pompous attitudes," she said, folding her arms across her chest after the men were completely gone. "Think they are always right. Messing around with the laws will only make their problems worse."

And worse for the mages and poor it already affected. Then turning to Lord SHanley, who was still there, she offered him a weary smile. "I am sorry if I have offended you. But I should be off as well." She gave a light hearted shrug. "I promised to remain with Kella most of the evening. She is not quite as socially vocal as I, and her mousy disposition is not without consequence. So I do not mind being her friend." She gave Conall a wink. Though as she turned to leave, she paused, studying him. "And you should ask her for the next dance." she added in, then curtsied as she moved to leave.

Paradox

Conall smirked and amused that the corpulent bastard thought his stinging words would affect his feelings. He laughed, "At least I have a sense of humor. Ah but, aren't you one to talk?I find it terribly amusing how quick you are to scorn any shred of reality that doesn't suit your personal agenda and dismiss it as  fabricated, yet you'll cling on to a mere  irrelevant rumor and ride it for all its worth just because it strokes your ego. I don't need to point your flaws out, you parade them about."

He added in before Calent interrupted, "Perhaps what you've been hearing is the fool's voice of wishful thinking. Your own. It wouldn't be the first time or the last.  " 

Conall met Calent's gaze, but said nothing. He was actually relieved that it wouldn't go beyond that though he was probably more offended that he'd bothered talking to Vesrick. If he could have truly said precisely what had been on his mind...

None of it would have been appropriate.

He watched the men take their leave and listened to Kat's comment about men. He offered a polite smile. After the way these men behaved, it was hardly surprising that she thought so. "It's quite alright, you have your reasons to speak so , I'm sure."

He wasn't sure what the argument had been about entirely. He'd learn sooner or later from someone. Probably Luvina.

And then Katahnia brought up Kella and he felt a little awkward. Yes, he would have liked to dance with her. He felt his cheeks burn under his well-groomed beard.

"Lady Harmond, a moment if you would grant me," He started after her , "I - you know her better than I. Lady Turgall , that is.  I was - do you think that...she'd truly be interested ? I mean, I do not wish to make her feel any more uncomfortable than she is now. " 

visualspice

Katahnia took a moment, pressing her lips together as her cheeks dimpled from her smile.
"It depends on what you are asking her to be interested in." And Katahnia eyed him over, gave a soft laugh and shook her head. "There's only one way to find out, and this song will be ending soon." And she raised her brows at him before turning around and walking away. "Good luck."

Paradox

Conall gave her a funny look. Why was she smiling? He wasn't sure it made him feel very comfortable. Was she planning something? Girls were sneaky like THAT. Or she knew something he didn't and she wasn't going to tell him because she was being wicked.

What is THAT supposed to mean? I just want to ask for a dance. It's not a marriage proposal.

He heard the music ending and oh! He'd better find the Turgalls before some other fellow stole the lady away for a dance.

He moved through the crowd , eyes searching for...

Ah. There they were. Brother and sister...and he felt slightly awkward approaching them after only having seen them off about a couple minutes ago. He cleared his throat, "Pardon, I was wondering if I might have the next dance with you , Lady Turgall. Ah, that is to say, if you're free and willing to honor me with the privilege. " He was far more nervous than he appeared.

visualspice

Blaith turned to look at the gentleman first, and then Kella, gasping silently as she raised a hand to her lips.
"Oh, Lord Shanely!" and she found herself blushing and looking around. Her brother grinned and stepped beside her.

"I bet she'd be delighted," he said, smirking over at Conall then giving a playful look to his sister, who then followed to where his gaze went over to Katahnia. Oh! She was being so cruel to her this evening! But even still, Kella found herself smiling and bowed her head lowly.

"I would be delighted." And the moment she offered, a soft, serene song began to play.

Paradox

He was prepared for rejection, "I understand-"

Wait. What? He stared at the twins , green gaze shifting from Kella to Blaith then back to Kella.

"Y-you would?" Really? She'd dance with him?  For the first time in a long while he felt giddy.

Calm down. It's just a dance. With a young lady. No more pretend dancing with mothers, or relatives or grandmas. He was moving up in the world of adulthood. He was going to dance with a lovely young lady!

But he couldn't. His expression brightened as he stepped nearer to her, " Thank you."

And as the music started playing and people started dancing , his eyes found hers and he noticed that she was waiting, expecting...

That was when he realized...

Shanley, you fool! I don't know how to waltz!

He offered her a nervous smile and almost felt like losing is nerve and making some excuse, but he didn't want to miss out on another opportunity. He'd spent far too long watching his life roll by while he wrapped himself up in politics. He wanted to live. Just a little.

He blushed furiously and leaned in close to whisper, "There's one problem, Lady Tugall. I-I don't really know how."

ooc: loool

visualspice

Blaith had already stepped aside, scooping up Katahnia for this sort of walt, so it had left the pair of them standing awkwardly by the edge of the dance floor. And what Lord Shanley said wasn't expected.

"Oh," her face flushed with colors but she smiled none the less. "But dancing is quite easy. I can show you." And she smiled warmly, taking his hands. "Just place your hands here," and she set one to her hip, the other within her own, "Then you guide me in the direction of the music." And she smiled brightly and glanced about, trying to see where a good place would be to cut in. "There, now, just take a step, like this,"s he said, hoping he'd move with her as she guided their hands forward, hips dipping low into a sway as the pair moved once in rigid fashion. "There, just like that!"s he said, her grin reaching her eyes. "Now all we have to do is do that a million time and not run into anybody." And she added the last part with a silent giggle. "But oh, I almost forgot, as the man you must.." and here she blushed, tucking back her lips as she smiled before her blue eyes met to his. "THe man must lead."

Paradox

I know how to dance, but we don't dance like this in Ardal.

It wasn't slow dancing in his duchy with couples. People joined hands and danced in crazy circles. The music was lively and the drink ran from the halls. There was laughter and mischief ....

This was not Ardal. This mood was so ...solemn. Close. Personal. It made him feel so out of his element. He'd watched people dance , but he always found ways at these types of functions to excuse himself.

Ansgar, I must have gone mad.

The blush on his face darkened. Thank Ansgar he had a proper beard to hide most of his embarrassment. His nervousness flared up when she placed his hand on her hip and clasped onto the other.

His eyes displayed his nervousness and uncertainty so plainly. He swallowed and tried to move with her, but he had little clue what they were supposed to be doing and ...he delayed a bit with boots sliding and dragging, casing a little awkward stumbling. A couple times , he nearly lost his balance and fell over on her , but he always managed to recover as gracefully as one could in his shoes He was so awkward and stiff,but he followed her at least and just in time to not cause either of them to stumble off the dance floor or bump into another couple. Yet.

Once she'd shown him, he felt somewhat proud of himself that he'd finally learned (sort of ) how to do this. However, when she told him that HE had to lead and they had to do this a million times without bumping into other people , he looked somewhat horrified.

"Lady Turgall, you tease. For a moment I thought you were- oh wait . You ARE serious? " His nervousness was cranked up and multiplied by a million. "Oh. Right. Of course I-how silly of me. " He felt himself sweating, "O-okay. Here we go. No pressure."

He took over now, assuming the "dominat" role as it were. And he was not in time with the music or the other couples. He was behind by little more than a few fractions of a second and that wouldn't have been quite such a bad thing , but Conall kept bumping into people.

Most were polite enough to offer a smile or a laugh and just continue on their way though one man became a bit indignant when Conall knocked into him and made him spill a little drink.

"Get off the dance floor, you oaf before you kill some- Duke Shanley?! Oh er...my Lord ! Apologies! I uh...am not feeling well tonight. Excuse me!" The man hurried off, probably feeling even more embarrassed than the Duke did.
Conall blushed furiously and looked at Kella, "We could stop if you like. I'd understand. I'm terrible."

visualspice

Kella blushed, smiling smally as the pair stumbled to a halt into yet another couple. She kept her gloved hand over her lips, a sparkle in her eyes as she stared over to the Duke.
"Only if you wish it. I would hate to keep you on the dance floor if you are not enjoying yourself."

Paradox

The couple stared. Specifically at him. They looked a bit irritated and Conall waved at them , "Sorry about that. Good evening. How are you? "The noblewoman made a sound that hinted at disgust and she turned up her nose in disdain. The man simply quietly did the same.

"Allarians are such delightful people, " Conall said cheerfully. 

Conall grinned sheepishly at Kella's reply, " What? No , no. Are you kidding? This has been the most fun I've had all evening. You're a wonderful dancer, m'lady and I appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to instruct me. I just thought you might not have felt the same.  I dislike making women feel too uncomfortable. "

visualspice

"Well, to be honest, I always feel a bit uncomfortable at these sorts of things," she admitted. "I'm normally too sick to come out for a dance." Or strong willed enough. She felt a bit better that her dancing partner wasn't the best; and it eased the mood and tension she had been feeling long before she arrived, and was even forgetting about Klaust.
"If you'd like, we could continue into the next song to give you practice," Kella suggested with a soft smile and blush to her cheeks.

Paradox

If Kella had wanted to escape, her offer to continue to the next dance ruined that opportunity. His expression brightened and he looked like a child who'd just received a present. A very shiny one. "Yes," he knew he sounded a little too excited and nervous at the same time , "I'd be honored." He almost thought to inquire if she had promised other men to save a dance for them but....forget that.

The dance continued and Conall was still a bit of a clown on his feet, but he was improving. Perhaps he might have improved a bit more swiftly if he would take his eyes off of Kella for a couple minutes and pay attention, but he was a young man. Young, dumb, and somewhat intoxicated by her. They were bumping into less couples though that might have been because people were learning NOT to dance so closely to them.

"You should attend these functions more often. It'd give me something to look forward to." He grinned at her and tripped over his feet, stumbling forward a bit into her . He recovered quickly though and saved her from falling, "Apologies, I'm afraid that my clumsiness is amplified by nervousness."

visualspice

Kella shook her head, silent laughter seeming to radiate off of her, but none came from her lips.
"Do not worry, Duke Shanley. It isn't everyday I get to dance anyway, so I enjoy every chance I get." ANd she gave him a genuine smile, and her blush deepened at his last comment as she cast her eyes away from him.
"Well, who knows. I could always try. It's not like I am in control of where I can and can not go." And now she was the one feeling awkward, tripping ove rher own two feet as she stumbled into Conall. "Oh!" she blushed, finding herself pressed up agianst him, chest for chest. "It.. it seems you are not the only one with clumsy feet." And she found herself laughing as she pulled away, reassuming the proper position. "Perhaps it might be wiser for us to simply chat over on the balcony. The weather is lovely this evening."

Paradox

He felt himself tense and burn up when they were pressed so close momentarily. It had been a long while since he'd been that close to a lady. Well, it had been long since he'd been this close to one that he was attracted to be more specific.

Conall tried not to laugh at her but his voice cracked with good humor, " I know you're supposed to follow my lead, Lady Turgall, but you didn't have to take it quite so far. "

The duke of Ardal nodded at her suggestion, " A sound plan. I think I've caused enough havoc on the dance floor tonight. Poor Lady Driscoll, I really didn't mean to keep bumping into her like that." Lady Driscoll was a snobby lady of high society from the duchy of Hellvion. She was well known for her ridiculously tall hair that sort of looked like (to Conall ) an enormous beehive.  She had proudly claimed was natural and was always decorating it extravagantly with pink and gold ribbons adorned with sparkling diamonds....

And Conall's stumbling into her not once but four times had revealed it to be a wig. Twice it flew off her head, and once it had landed in someone's meal.

And was she ever furious, but her husband reassured them that she'd get over it.

Eventually.

She had nice hair. Conall couldn't understand why she felt she needed to wear a wig.

Conall walked off the dance floor with his partner, "After you, my lady."