Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Le Prêtre et le Dragon (NEMO!)

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, June 27, 2013, 08:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

There was an uneasy feeling Father Caderyn had as he entered the town. He had heard rumors that the townspeople here had a guardian, a dragon. He knew dragons existed, he'd seen them flying around the mountains of Connlaoth. But entering this town, which accoridng to legend was protected by a dragon, made him uneasy.

As he made his way through town, he heard a sound not unlike a mighty lion. He even noticed a thick fog was rolling in. This made him nervous.

Nemo

After the roar, from the tavern came a torrent of laughter. The tavern had a huge hole in the wall, through which light spilled in warm golden streams. A tarp had been set up on a sort of awning, not unlike the building was meant to be open like that. It clearly wasn't, the hole was too irregular... But the people who owned the place obviously made it so. Shortly after the roar, and after the laughter died off a bit, the sound of a lute rose high into the air. There came the rhythmic thumping of people dancing, enjoying themselves as the fog poured in.

Inside, a woman sat on the bar - an elven woman with beautifully braided silver hair full of beads and feathers. Her midsection was bandaged heavily, but sill she sang and played as people danced and drank around her. She was part of them - part of their lives. The novelty of an elven girl singing was nonexistant - they were just enjoying the music and a good harvest completed... But people were in black - a few anyhow. They sat mostly away from the revelry, but tapped their feet in sympathy nevertheless. Others in black clothes - mourning clothes - were in there with the rest, twirling and stomping and singing along.

The elven woman looked to the priest, and smiled, nodding him in, but never stopped playing.

Klezmer Gryphon

Caderyn was hesitant, as he generally avoided taverns and bars, for they were, in his opinion, places of great sin. He made an exception, however, and entered, curious about the revelry and singing. Sitting down next to the elven lady, he refused to order anything, saying he didn't drink. Turning towards harping elf, he couldn't help but wonder what had caused the need for such heavy bandaging.

"Excuse me, ma'am, but why the need for the bandages? You seem in good health." He queried, trying not to offend the elven lady.

Nemo

The lady smiled ethereally and ceased singing when the song allowed it. She had seen a lot of his kind in her lifetime. The priest was as starchy as any she'd met, and that was a sigh of relief compared to some others she'd encountered from several faiths. She leaned to his ear and said

"My ancient enemy tore me open, and the magic that healed me could not entirely heal my old scales... So I must heal the rest of the way naturally." She said into his ear while people danced and sang and stomped their feet in revelry. Her old blue eyes twinkled at him quite fondly, like she was glad to see him. She was.

"I am the Silver Lady, father. Please - join in the funeral celebrating the lives of those we have lost - it will build your rapport with these good people - and you will have great need of that rapport to enact the much-needed service I would ask of you later on." She said, and nodded respectfully to the padrè as she sat up straight, and raised her voice again in song.

Klezmer Gryphon

Caderyn stared for a moment. Realizing what the Silver Lady meant, he joined in the dancing and revelry, recalling several dances he had learned in his misspent youth. It was a bit of a comical sight, a priest dancing in a tavern. He'd pray for forgiveness later.

Nemo

Later, when the taverngoers had had their fill, when the drink weighed on people and the energy of the funeral was spent, the self-addressed Silver Lady left with the partygoers, and led the padre to the place she felt most comfortable. After all, she'd spent the last hundred years or so there. In point of fact, this was the place where she'd been their guardian - where she'd 'slept' as a sort of living statue and listened to the heartbeat of their little lives as they carried on around her. She watched over them... then and now.

And so it was that, in a spot shaded with trees and rife with flowers, the elfmaid let her hair down a little, and smiled at the newcomer to town, her eyes glimmering just a tiny bit with a sort of inner light. In fact, in this poor lighting, her whole body seemed to glow with a sort of inner light of its own, which in an elf would indicate age. She sat crossed-legged on a carved stump, and motioned to a nearby log for him to relax.

"You've made quite a journey, Padre - Are you thirsty? The Pommelfruit that grows here is quite palatable." she said, offering him a pastel pink gourd.

Klezmer Gryphon

The priest accepted the pommelfruit. It wasn't the best thing he'd ever tasted, but at least it was palatable. He sat down on a log, and look at the elfmaid. Indeed, she did seem to glow in the poor lighting of the grove.

"You said you needed a service done for you?" he queried, remembering what the Silver Lady had told him.

Nemo

She nodded and picked a pommelfruit for herself, biting off a chunk and imbibing of the gourd's contents. The fruits were themselves very like watermelons in flavor, with a gourdlike shape an a liquid filled center, the walls of which were a woody, sweet fiber substance, not unlike a coconut. probably related. With a dainty motion, she wiped her mouth with her palm and beamed. "Ah yes" she said, and set the thing beside her, still half-full.

"Ah yes... The funeral." She narrowed her eyes at him. "A fortnight ago, a demon attacked our village. Quite a powerful one... He killed several before I drove him off. The people need some closure, some peace - I'd like you to give the deceased their last rites, father." She fingered her belly a little, her expression a flicker of pain. Very gingerly, she massaged the bandaged flesh and continued "Demonic magic is involved. These people need a solid, sensible hand to help them through it. I wonder if you would be up to the task?" She said, eyeing him curiously. Something about the padre made her comfortable. "I would of course be... Greatful"

Klezmer Gryphon

"Of course. In times of great sorrow, comfort is needed. I will give the deceased their last rites." Caderyn said. He had no issues with a funeral services. It was a normal request for him, as he often traveled throughout Connlaoth.

Nemo

Ornusjalil nodded, satisfied.

She smiled at the priest's starchy and solemn reply, and laughed melodiously, eyes twinkling at him. "My goodness, you should stay in town a little while, Father. I get the impression you have been on the road far too long!" She dangled her legs from her stump, kicking them just gently in an almost carefree sort of way and she continued

"The people here could use a Father around the place, I think... Don't want them worshipping me now, do we? That'd be silly... It'd be like worshipping some damn ancient hero." She twinkled at him "almost exactly!"

Klezmer Gryphon

Father Caderyn was a bit surprised with the Silver Lady's sudden laughter, but he got the feeling something was being hidden, hidden in plain sight.

"Now why do you say that? I've got several towns I already preach in, and I was actually on the way to visit an old friend of mine." He had to think carefully about his next choice of words. He didn't want to offend the lady, lest she be armed and dangerous. "And, is there something you're not telling me? I don't judge, and certainly won't persecute you for it."

Nemo

She nodded to him generously. "Of course. I am The Silver Lady, padrè. I did say... But my name is truly Ornusjalil - I am the guardian of this town, and ever have I been so since the place was established. I have seen to it their crops get proper rain, and that the demon was driven from this place... But I am no goddess, Father, I am a dragon."

She  narrowed her eyes at him a bit, watching him for his reaction. It would say a lot about him...

Klezmer Gryphon

"A-a dragon?" He said, stuttering with shock. He was in utter awe, but at the same time, he wasn't going to bow down and worship. She may be the guardian of this town, but like she said, she wasn't a goddess. Extending his hand, he formally introduced himself.

"Father Caderyn Bricius, at your service"

Nemo

She took it in the handshake of someone who wasn't scared of an honest turn of labor and looked him in the eye. She was his equal - not his fault he was a tiny thing that lived hardly any time at all, was it? Draconic superiority was hard to argue with a pickaxe in your left aorta.

"Charmed, Father." She said and waved her hand in a universal sign of 'no matter'

"no need to be formal, we're all friends here. You've impressed me, padrè, You're a bit stiff and starchy, but thats not a bad thing. Welcome to Hearthsbrooke!" She said, and gestured at the landscape around them. "Population fifty five, six dogs, ninteen sheep four cows four horses and a silly old dragoness who thinks a horde that shimmers is a bit of a waste of space." She chuckled, and sipped her fruit drink.

Klezmer Gryphon

Caderyn couldn't help but smile. It wasn't such a surprise anymore that Ornusjalil was a dragon. He sat down, and reached into his bag, and pulled out a journal. He had been working on copying a Sionhai religious text, and had several journals given to him by a nice, but odd couple in Serendipity. He looked up, and was about to ask another question, but decided to let it be.

Nemo

Ornusjalil nodded, and stood, a sign that their little audience was over in a way.

"And now, you must be tired." she said, pleased that he'd agreed to this. She pressed a bag into his arms and smiled at him. "The innkeeper should have a room open - he always does. Go and say the Silver Lady said you should stay in the blue room, tip him well, and I'm certain he'll bring you breakfast in the morning." she said. She would see to it. It always paid to make sure a priest got proper respect.

Klezmer Gryphon

Father Caderyn closed his book and nodded. After a few idle words, he went to find the inn, which was fairly easy. He told the inn keeper what he had been told, and found himself in a room a bit nicer than the others. While it wasn't elegant, it certainly reminded him of home, and after some prayers, he retired for the evening.