Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Let Them Eat Cake! (M!)

Started by visualspice, October 23, 2013, 03:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

The Grand Duke hadn't missed the shortness in her tone. He one hand draped across his eyes,a nd quickly used it to pinch the bridge of his nose as he leaned forward, then took a sip of his cooling tea. It was room temperature now. He frowned and set it back down, then peered over towards his wife, then away, moving uneasily beneath his skin. He never really brought htat topic up with his wife, he never had to. They slept in seperate rooms, and the first time they had shared a bed...
The nightmares were a bit tamer, though even still, he had awokened earlier than the morning and when his wife had inquired what was wrong...

His only response had been silence.
Now was no different as he stared down at his muted reflection in the tea.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"The maid came in to scold you for not taking your medicine," she added needlessly.

Rising from her chair, she set a stack of paperwork down on the table in front of him.  "These are awaiting your review, dear.  A few minor details abut your ball...  The menu, decorations, and so forth."  She paused, then to refill her drink.  "I know how you hate to spend the money, but if we don't, we can hardly expect them to."

visualspice

Calent's face remained placid, a hand rubbing down it before he leaned a hand into his fingers and sighed. He massaged his temple lightly, then moved forward to lift up the papers. He began to go through them, slowly flipping through the pages before commenting, "These are rather thorough." And with another sigh he said, "Yes, I realize that is the idea. Spare no expense." And how bitter that expense sounded as he moved to drink more of his cold tea.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

(You are not allowed to post after I have declared my intention to go to sleep!  D: )

"I thought it would be helpful if you knew what you were spending money on," she answered honestly.  Putting a few morsels on a small plate, she brought it over to him and set it delicately beside him.  She also refilled his cup from the pot, which would be, in the very least, moderately warmer.

"You should eat."

visualspice

The Grand Duke sighed,  and moved in his chair as if he had the weight of hte world on his shoulders before he furrowed his brow and nodded.
"Thank you." He supposed he should. Taking up the tea, he sipped it delciately, and swallowed it dwn without so much as a noise before he settled into his chair and rested a curled fist beneath his chin. he contemplated over the event to come, over his decision before he asked, "And we have a list of the mordecai to be stationed?"

Ivory

Kathryn retreated back to her stack of papers, flipping through a few before finding the ones she wanted.

"The mordecai.  The guards.  The staff."

A stack of about ten sheets were put down before the Grand Duke for his approval.  The mordecai and guards were his to command, naturally, and, thus, would need his eye on the matter...

"These seem to be the ones you favor, according to Vesrik.  I'm not familiar enough with your people to adequately judge for myself."

visualspice

Calent nodded, taking the papers in his gloved hands and flipped through them.
Zannrick, Emery... and the list went on. He nodded, sifted through the pages, then set them back onto the table between them.
"It all seems to be in order." He picked up the guard sheet next and reviewed it, idly scratching at his neck as he did.
"I wonder if we shouldn't order a few knights to stand at the doors as well. You can never be too careful these days."
Damn mages. They were like rats, infesting everythign and hard to get rid of.

Ivory

"As you wish," Kathryn answered off-handedly, returning to her own paperwork and her drink.

"Is there anything else you'd like to add or concerns you have about the ball?" she wondered, although, truth be told, she didn't seem too concerned with his answer, as she didn't even bother to look up.

"We'll need to distribute our plans to the appropriate people for them to begin work, and the sooner that is done, the less we will have to worry."

visualspice

Calent leaned forward in his chair now, elbows on his lap and hands beneath his chin.
"Yes. Once we get the paper work organized, I'll have Vesrik tend to it. That's what I pay him for anyway." He said, then smoothed a hand through his hair and gestured to his wife. "Do you mind passing me the ink well and a quill? I've got some notes to make here. Seems Vesrik missed spelled a few names." Again.

Ivory

"Hardly surprising," Kathryn answered shortly.  Oh, she did not care for that vile creature...  He was intolerably stupid -- but it was more than that!  There was something else about him that she simply couldn't put her finger on...

She moved the requested materials over to him, as well as a few leafs of fresh, untainted paper in case he felt the need to rewrite the lists entirely.

"It seems his mind is not on the ball," she ventured, trying to choose her words diplomatically.  "Is there anything I should be made aware of?"  Preferably before he made a fool out of all of them?

visualspice

Blinking, Calent looked up from the paper he was about to make some notes on and studied her face.
"What do you mean?"

Ivory

Kathryn frowned at him, as if to say, 'Really?  How do you not know?'

"Well..."  She thought about trying to hint about the subject, but, knowing Calent, he wouldn't get it.  Might as well be blunt about it.  "If my secretary came to me with this many errors, I certainly wouldn't keep paying her.  If the invitations had gone to Duchess Melanoma, can you imagine what would have happened?"

The woman would have made their lives a living hell, to be certain!  Melora was no one to offend...

visualspice

Calent's eyes went wide, his face long. And then as he took it in, his face went placid again as he sighed.
"Perhaps his eye sight is off." Or he wanted to get them all killed.
Pinching the bridge of his nose, he massaged it, not realizing he smeared some ink there as he did.
"Alright, I'll talk to him tomorrow about it. Today is trying enough as is."

Ivory

Kathryn stared at him a moment, mind going back to another day long ago, when a man had been introduced to her with a very similar stain upon his nose...  Oh, if she could take it all back...

"One of these days, you're going to rub ink into your eye."

Sighing, she wetted the corner of a napkin with her tongue and leaned forward to take the stain out for her husband.  While she had him by the nose, quite literally, she said, "You're beginning to look old.  I know you hate to do so, but try to smile at the ball.  With any luck, it will take out some of these wrinkles.  No one is going to believe that everything is well if you look like a ghoul."

visualspice

Calent, startled when his wife leaned forward to wipe the ink away, just let her tend to it. It reminded him too, of that moment so long ago, and some color returned to his cheek, and even deepened at her last response. Then a gentle hand came up and was placed on her arm.
"These last few years have been trying." He said, studying her from where he sat, and not knowing what else to say except.. "Thank you. I know your position as Grand Duchess wasn't by choice, considering our engagement happened prior to all this chaos. But I don't know what I'd do without you."
His eyes lingered upon her as his hand then cupped her face.
"And this work isn't doing good for you either. Have you been sleeping well?" For she looked tired as well-
and maybe a little drunk.

Ivory

If someone had asked her what, exactly, she was trying to accomplish, Kathryn's honest answer would have been, simply, that she did not know.  She wanted to hurt him.  She wanted to find a way to connect with him.  She wanted to illicit a response -- any sort of response, good or bad.  She wanted to feel something herself -- something more than disdain, anyway.

"What I want hardly matters."  That was true enough.  "My place is by your side, is it not?  And I very much doubt your regency has anything to do with it."

Valia, of all people, had once commented on Calent's cold demeanor, after all...but Kathryn, charmed as she was at the time, had simply been too blind to see what she was getting herself into.

"I'm just happy to be able to do my small part in bettering Connlaoth."  How nice of him to notice!  "I've been sleeping well enough.  The brandy helps, I've found.  Perhaps you should take it up?"

visualspice

Calent frowned and looked at the cup, then down at his papers.
"And get more bags from it? I think you stated I looked horrid enough." And at that remark, he actually found himself... smiling.

Ivory

Kathryn stared at him.  Then, slowly, the corners of her mouth lifted, as though trying to smile.  Little wonder she seemed to have forgotten how; she smiled about as much as Calent did.

She breathed out a soft sigh and looked down a moment, staring unseeingly at the space between them as she considered it.

"It's really not a bad idea.  The doctor recommended some exercise, followed by a bit of brandy."  Somewhere along the way, a bit had become a bit more...and then she was drinking before her exercises in addition to after...  "It usually works."

visualspice

If his wife needed brandy to sleep... it made him consider things for a moment before he turned to her.
"I'm sorry I haven't been much of a husband lately." He looked at her face. She was rather beautiful.. and he, a lucky man. Yet how long had it been since they had made love?
"Things have changed greatly between the two of us." he said thoughtfully, his green gaze never leaving hers before he looked down at her hands and took them, and then, suddenly, lifted them to his lips.

Ivory

A darkness passed over her face, seeming to leave only that chilly, marble-like expression she so often wore in its wake -- quite the opposite reaction, perhaps, than he was expecting with so tender and intimate a gesture.

They'd been here before, and it always ended with her heartbroken and wondering why she couldn't live up to his expectations.

"No," she answered decidedly.  "I've changed.  I've given up trying to reach the man I thought I married, and I've decided to live with the man I actually did."

And that man...was a cold-hearted, self-involved bastard.