Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A 'Parfait' Night

Started by visualspice, November 13, 2013, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This Thread has come from: The Dessert Table. See Rules of the Table before joining! Thanks!

------

The long walk up the spiraling stone stairs was totally worth it. The tower, albeit a bit more quaint and smaller than the veranda, opened up into a circular shaped ground, that held a series of benches in the center and also around the outter edges near the stone lipped walled railings while int he center was a crude version of a telescope. This telescope was used by Grand Duke's in the past, and was a common sight to visit at his exclusive parties.

But, for the moment, this tower vacant, except for one young lady clad in a most appropriate of attire- as her dress was that scattered with constellations, and similar star decore charmed her hair. Attalia Arrant had chosen wisely in her seclusion (where others were not so lucky), and just enjoyed a quiet seat, craning her neck up at the stars. The night was beautiful, the star light reflecting within her eyes as she leaned against the stone balcony that kept everyone whom visisted the tower, safe.

The sky was nearly cloudless, so she could see everything from the Great Constellation of Angsar, to the few lively dotted saintly constellations to his left. There was also the powerful, and prideful lion of the North, that of whose direction guided many North. She smiled and rested her cheek against her arm, remaining silent and serene, and not realizing soon, others might be visiting this tower as well.

So when Lord Edward and Riley did show up, she only smiled but did not look their way, assuming they were having a father and son moment as Edward stepped out into to the open tower top.

"Here it is, the Grand Duke's fame star gazing tower," he said, huffing a bit from the walk up. "It's quite the site isn't it? Come on, let's take a look at the view." And he coaxed Riley to join him as she stepped towards the opposite end of the circular tower so that he and Riley were facing North, while Attalia with he back to them, was still sitting alone, facing south.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Riley followed Edward dutifully up the winding stairs of the tower, which required twice as much effort since he was only half the size! But once they were up, he hurried over to the south end of the tower and looked eagerly out at the night sky. It was an impressive view, there was no denying it. The world, to Riley, seemed very big and lonely... and very beautiful from the tower's spindly perch. The boy folded his arms over the stone edge of tower and rested his chin on his arms, looking up at the stars.

He thought about asking Edward if he knew many constellations but the night's events were starting to weigh heavy on him and, when he opened his mouth, instead he asked, "Lord Edward, how did your wife die?"

visualspice

Edward, who would have been far too eager to go on about the constellations over head (and was about ready to start a long talk about it, too!) when the young boy posed his question, which shocked him. And it showed on his face as he looked at the child. And the sadness was there, as he thought back to that day, holding his wife's hand in her bed, as she went cold after suffering no more from her illness.

"She had taken ill. Just a few months after giving birth."
And the illness had been terrible on her. Britta had suffered greatly, but even through it- what kept her going those few months before her death, was to see the smiling eyes of their baby girl. They both loved baby Britta dearly; and what was the happiest event in there life had become short lived.

Britta had looked so dreadul, but even in her dying hour, she was sweet and serene, and never once let her pain wipe her smile away completely. And it was early int he morning when she passed- a day so beautiful, he had wanted to believe that sunshine had been her stairway to heaven, and her, transforming into that sunshine- beaming down upon him to watch him and their daughter- always.

Blinking back the tears in his eyes, he turned to Riley and smiled.
"And your father?" he asked, wondering if the child inquired about his own wife in hopes to find solace about his own father's death. "What of him?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Riley let out a long, big sigh that ended with him leaning most of his weight on the edge of the tower and laid his head on his folded arms. Unlike Edward, Riley was making no effort to put on a brave face.

"He died in the war. A few years ago. That's really all we know. They just sent a letter. They didn't... they didn't bring him home. I think that made it a lot harder. Like... I don't know. Like maybe he still could come home. I mean, I know he won't. It was really hard on Mom."

Then Riley fell silent and it was clear from his pronounced breathing that he was trying not to cry.

"I'm sorry about your wife," he finally said. "Do you worry about your daughter not knowing her? I worry about that sometimes. I know I'm older, but... I have a hard time, sometimes, really remembering him. My mom painted this watercolor of them after their wedding - she doesn't paint anymore - but I keep it under my bed. She doesn't know. I feel bad about that. I like having something of him that's just mine. Like a secret. But I worry sometimes that that's going to turn into the only thing I can remember. Just the picture, not him. My brother and sister are older so I think it's easier for them. But I'm really afraid of forgetting."

visualspice

The child's words were so endearing, and hit so close to home that Edward's eyes could no longer fight back tears as they sparkled. He understood. Ah, the poor boy! His home had been torn apart by war. To lose a father, what a dreadful thing- and had he known about the other death...
just as horrible!  Taking his time to digest the words carefully, and , despite only knowing the child for just a short time, Edward wrapped an arm around Riley's shoulder to comfort him in an embrace.

"Riley, the way you speak of him makes me wonder why you fear you'll ever forget. A painting will always be a painting to remember his face, but you have something more important than that that keeps him alive."
And he got down on one knee, smiling now up into Riley's face as he took the boy's hand to inform him,
"You have his memories, Riley. And those will never go away." And here, his smile lifted a little more. "Plus you are his child. His blood, and your mothers, will forever be in your veins."

Drawing in a long breath, he released a sigh as a few tears rolled down his cheeks. He bashfully brushed them away. But he knew, it did not matter up here. Up here they could cry. Up here they were alone.

"And my daughter.. I do fear, she will not ever know her mother. At least not personally. She is still just a baby, only beginning to walk now."
His sad smile tugged leftward as he thought affectionately about her.
"But I know my wife lives on through her. It's in her blood, in her heart, and I can already see my wife's smile in her. So I know, in that sense, my wife lives on forever."
And his eyes focused more on Riley now than his thoughts.

"And I bet you look something like your father. And have some of his qualities. You are his son after all. Through our children, it is said, we are all immortals. But I bet, if he were here today, he'd be very proud of you today. No one else even truly bothered to help that girl out and there you were, at least trying to give it a try. I know that girl must seem so wretched, but in truth, I would be proud to have a son like you."

kleineklementine

Riley gave a little snort at Edward's insistence that he'd played the hero with Valia. "I didn't do a very good job at that."

But that wasn't really what was bothering him. Riley didn't want to say it, because it sounded like it was something Edward hung on to, but he wasn't sure he believed all of that. All that stuff about his father not really being dead, him living on in their memories and in his children. Because he was really dead. And nice words about immortality wasn't going to change that.

"Sometimes I think I only really remember him by When-Mom-Was-Happy and Afterwards-When-She-Wasn't. It feels like picking sides, like I love her more. And sometimes I think I only think I remember Before, but really it's just impressions I get from Mom and Milo and Lilly. What it used to be like." Riley's throat tightened, and silent tears wet his cheeks. He kept looking determinedly out at the night, not meeting Edward's eyes. "I don't want to forget my father, but... I want her to be happy again. And I feel bad for noticing, because I know she wants to make everything alright for us, and that she'd feel awful if she knew I thought about it. And now Milo's gone and it just keeps getting worse."

Riley sniffed. He was obviously crying now. He never cried, and that made it worse. "And I'm really mad at them sometimes. At both of them. Nobody has to join the army, do they? But... she needed him and he left. He didn't have to go. And if he could have stayed, why didn't he? I just don't understand."

visualspice

"Here.." Edward offered him a soft smile, fully understanding his pain as he held out a kerchief. "I understand what you mean, Riley. The war... well, just that and the military, can be somewhat of a monster. I should know. I was active before this whole war started. But my career ended well before the murmurs of war. And recently well.....I helped where I could, but with my wife having gone ill... I respectfully stepped out from any fighting."

He lowered his gaze shamefully, as if it were his fault.
"But I too, lost someone important to me to the military. An uncle I was quite close to. I was lucky, however, and it was not my own father. Though he and I had been close."

He went silent again as he thought over all of Riley's loses.
"And I'm sorry to here about your brother.."
And that brought fresh tears to his eyes, now trailing down his cheeks. To loose a child..
his poor mother must be feeling absolutely wretched inside.

"Perhaps.. when things are more settled, you and your family might pay me a visit? I have some lovely riding grounds. You could all come over, ride some horses. I have a nice sable colored one that would love to meet you. She's a sweet horse. I call her Abigail."

kleineklementine

With great effort, Riley picked himself up and stood properly to take the handkerchief Edward offered him. It embarrassed him a little that he had been crying in front of his new acquaintance and that he'd had to been offered a handkerchief for his tears. But he was less embarrassed than he expected and he dutifully dried his face with the cloth.

He only half heard Edward's words about how he was 'sorry to hear about his brother' while he dried his face and at first he was confused. But then he read the lines of the misunderstanding on Edward's face. "No," he corrected, his voice still a bit thick but recovering, "I mean, my brother isn't... dead gone. But he's left for the military." Really. Didn't this man listen to anything? This was the third time he's said that! "I guess it doesn't sound so bad, compared to him being dead, I mean. But my mom's having a really hard time with it. I miss him, too. It's different now. I think he felt like he had to go... to fill our father's place. But I wish he hadn't."

Riley frowned at the messy handkerchief, but folded it carefully for Edward. "Do you know if you can leave the army?" He was a little embarrassed to be asking. It was admitting a hope that he was just old enough to realize sounded childish. "If you decide you don't like it?"

No, he was definitely embarrassed about having asked that. So before Edward would have the chance to respond, Riley said quickly, "I'd like that. We don't have horses. Abigail is a good name for your horse. Wait," Riley looked up at Edward with a sudden sense of importance, "I don't know your daughter's name."

visualspice

"I'm sorry I mishread," Edward stated. "I just thought..." but he left it at that- it was obvious what he thought! And he smiled at poor Riley when he went on with his question.
"It is possible, yes, but rather difficult. For a family like yours or mine... it would be a pride thing not to. However, I had rejoined recently myself and left, but the reason was much different than just 'not liking it'. Unfortunately," Edward added, with a frown. "There's not much he can do. If he leaves before his time has been served, he will be seen as someone who abandoned the army, and it would black mark your entire family."

BUt when Riley perked up at his suggestion of the horse, Edward gave a smile and nod.
"My daughter was named after my late wife. Her name is Britta, Britta Draven. Perhaps when she is older the pair of you could ride horses together? But for now, I'm afraid, she's awfully young. She's barely able to walk now, but you should see her when she tries!" And at the very thought, his chest swelled with pride.

kleineklementine

"Britta. That's a nice name," Riley said, but it was clear that he was trying to hide his disappointment. Edward's answer hadn't been the one he'd wanted to hear. The boy deflated, thinking about his brother. Riley just didn't understand why he'd left. Their family had already been through so much and the decision had broken their mother's heart, however hard she tried to hide that. And Riley knew Milo knew it. Be he also wanted him to come home simply because he missed Milo. And because if he stayed in the army one day he might just not come home. Just like their father.

But Riley tried his best to listen to Edward wax with affection for his daughter and it even made him smile a little. "It will be a long time before she's old enough to ride, but I would be honored to. But..." Riley tilted his head, regaining a bit of his forthrightness, "aren't you a little old to have a little baby?" It seemed like a fair question to Riley! After all, he was the baby of his family and he was pretty certain that Edward was no younger than his mother. "Was your wife... I mean, was Lady Britta very young?"

visualspice

Blinking at his questions, Edward soon smiled and shook his head.
"No, we had tried for children for years, but fate only surprised us with one. I am blessed we were able to have her. My... wife had a difficult time losing our first child, and then the second." ANd his voice grew softer at that. But then thinking back to his initial jab, he smirked a bit.
"Do I look so old to you, Riley?"

kleineklementine

"Oh." That was awful. Riley immediately wished he hadn't asked. Riley frowned, saddened by the answer he got. Without thinking about it, the boy reached out and squeezed Edward's hand. Then, suddenly self conscious, took his hand away again. Not knowing what to do with it now, he crossed his arms. More like one would do when cold (or uncomfortable!) than sassy.

But Riley relaxed a little at Edward's smirk. In response, he shrugged. "I'm ten. Everyone here looks old to me." It seemed like the safest answer! Especially since his real intention was to verify that Edward was an appropriate age for his mother. As a dancing partner, of course!

visualspice

Edward smiled at the boy. He was glad to make his acquaintance at this party. And to think, he had feared socializing with those his age; but ended up socializing with a child. It was.. refreshing. He loved kids, and wanted a son some day of his own, but luck would probably never grant him such a blessing.

"You're ten? I'm thirty-six. I suppose there's quite an age gape there, eh?" he said, hoping to lift the mood.

kleineklementine

Riley nodded in confirmation, then grinned. "I guess you're not so old. I think my mom is something like that, and she's not really old yet. You know, for a mom." Hm, was that being too obvious? Riley wondered when the dancing would start, and if they'd be able to tell from up here! He couldn't leave his mother completely alone once there was dancing. Riley then also realized that he and Edward hadn't thought up a clever way to introduce the two, but somehow that had seemed easier before Riley got to know Edward better. Now he felt a little embarrassed about being quite so forthright on the matter.

So he decided to change tracks. "Do you know many constellations?" he asked instead, moving back to the tower's open windows. "Can you show me?"

visualspice

OOC: Edward and Riley, so friggin' cute .__.

------

Edward gave a soft laugh at the boy's admittance to him not being so old.
"Well, thirty six is quite a number of years from your own age. When I was about your age, someone like me did seem rather ancient."
Then at his question about constellations, Edward followed the child's gaze to the stars.
"I know enough," he said with a chuckle, clasping his hands behind his back. "I'm sure you're aware of the Great Constellation of Angsar?" He raised his brow at the child. "See right there? The belt of stars makes up his middle, and his legs are there- thought I can see you already know." Grinning, Edward went on.
"To the North of him is the great bear- famed from the legends in days prior to even the Fell's existence. And then beside him, the slithering snake." And here, he leaned over Riley and pointed it out, a hand to his shoulder, his other following the waving line of stars. "Do you see them? They make up 8 points- the two at the end twinkling the brightest."
Edward sighed. "And beside it has always been my favorite. 'The Lady of the Stars'." He gave an admiring sigh before adding, more softly. "It was my wife's favorite too. Do you see how the stars all connect to make her hair and dress flow? Almost like water, though her arms are a bit awkward in placement- no one ever judges that." He added with another chuckle.

Attalia, who had been sitting nearby, smiled at the father and son's exchanged, - or rather, the friends exchange, her own eyes wetting at their story before she silently got up and left...

(OOC:I'll add Attalia's exit/entrance once I figure out where to send her XD
Going back to bed soon anyways ._. *pokes at things*)

kleineklementine

Riley's eyes watched the stars as Edward explained what they were and which ones he liked the best. He didn't talk during it. He was content to listen. Some of the constellations Edward pointed out Riley already knew, but he didn't interrupt his new friend. Nor did he move away from the man's hand on his shoulder.

After Edward had exhausted his knowledge of stars and constellations, Riley remarked, "My uncle is studying astronomy. The one in the cream puff incident," he added a bit sheepishly. "He's at the university, not in the army. I like the idea of studying something, but not spending all my time inside with lots of books and every night in the observation tower. I do like books," he added hastily. He didn't want Edward to think he was uneducated! "I borrow my aunt's books a lot. But I'd want to study something that I'd have to study outside. Like animals or birds or plants or something. Being in the university all the time sounds so stuffy!"

Riley peered down from the tower back at the ball. "Do you think we'll know from here when the dancing starts? I promised I would guard my mom from bad dancers to convince her to come. I don't want to break a promise." Then he looked up scrutinizingly at Edward. "Are you a good dancer?"

visualspice

He smiled down at the boy as he went on about University.
"It's true, one must keep their nose to the books when studying, but Uthlyn has an amazing college, I'm sure you'd do well there. ANd a few years of your life being 'stuffy' won't kill you,but I understand what you mean. I think I'd go crazy if I were to remain indoors for too long. You can't see the real world from behind a book."

And at the boy's last inquiry, Edward laughed softly and shook his head.
"I'd like to think I could be an average dancer, Riley. I did manage to score myself a wife, though it's been ages. I fear I might be rusty." And then as if to answer his last question, Edward's ears perked up to the sudden change in music.
"I know that song.. it's the StarGazer's Waltz." He smiled sheepishly. "It was one of my favorite dances..." and then he realized, with a blink. "Oh! By Angsar's breath, that music.. that means the dancing has begun! Come on Riley!" and he took the child's hand. "Let's get down there before your poor mother has to suffer any consequences from you not being there to protect her! You did make a promise, after all!"

(OOC: Guess that's my cue to start the ballroom thread 8D)

kleineklementine

Riley looked up at Edward indignantly as he followed Edward out of he tower. His bright blue eyes narrowed in playful suspicion. "Are you making fun of me?" he asked. Riley did, in fact, take his responsibility to his mother seriously - and he'd been doing a pretty bad job so far! Riley knew that Dahlia hadn't wanted to come. He'd teamed up with his (paternal) grandmother to convince or bully her back into social events. What if his mother was suffering from him being so inattentive?

"Was I too pushy?" Riley asked uncertainly as Edward walked and Riley jogged along side him (his legs were much shorter!) across the lawn in front of the star-gazing tower. "You don't have to dance with her just because I told you to. She probably wouldn't like that..."

visualspice

Edward only laughed at the child, but in good nature that he did so. But his walk remained brisk as he continued.
"Who said I'd get to dance with her? I think she might like it if you offer her her first dance, Riley. And if she would like, I wouldn't mind a dance, though as I warned you, I'm rusty, and I'd rather not offend your mother by stepping on her toes."

kleineklementine

Riley continued to jog alongside Edward, having to take a few large skipping steps. "Well, okay," Riley agreed, jog skip jog, "but remember: You can't tell her I had anything to do with it!" Hop skip jog.

Exit to the ballroom!