Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Through the Fire, Dancing

Started by Lion, November 23, 2013, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Mercuxio gave a glare at Kentamin for a moment just before flashing a ghost of a smile.  Yes it did smell down here. Like the taint of magic and the smell of fear.  As the departed the ruins of the chapel, Mercuxio snuffed out the light of his torch and put it back into the slot on his saddle.  But just before he was about to mount the horse, he gave a pause and looked out to the darkness of the street.  He was silent, but it seemed his eyes were piercing something that was not readily visible.  "Have caution.  I feel as though we are being watched.  Let's walk our horses out," Merric said, grabbing the reins of his black steed.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Kentamin made a face and glanced around.
"I don't see anything." Or anyone. Staring after Merric, he retrieved his own white horse and slowly walked behind him.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

It mattered not that Kentamin saw no one.  The boy had only proved himself to be largely useless, but he had in a manner of speaking proven to be of minor use.  It was a shame that Mercuxio had to report on his apprenticeship, but he wasn't going to elaborate or exaggerate if he didn't have to.  When they were out of the street and nearer the edge of the city, Merric threw himself into the saddle and turned his horse around toward the younger man.  "We take these things to the nearest Sanctuary, Rosenstern Abbey approximately fifty miles south of here.  Prepare yourself.  We will not be stopping for anything," he said and promptly trotted off.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Kentamin made a face before placing his boot int the stirrup and throwing his leg over the saddle. Once mounted, he pressed his heels into the horses side and trotted so he could catch up to Merric's side.
"Not even to rest? Seems an awful long time to go without a piss break," he grumbled. "Or something to eat."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"Then piss now!" Mercuxio growled.  He cast him a final look of disdain and turned his horse and stuck his heels into his sides.  The horse neighed and bolted off in a full gallop.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Eyes were watching them every step of the way, and perhaps two steps in front of them (no thanks to Kentamin's whining and need to stop every two hours), but they eventually made it and the winds had picked up, ruffling hair of horse and rider. Kentamin shivered within his armor. At least it kept him relatively warm, but he had hoped the weather could have held out for this sort of journey.

By the time they made it to Rosenstern Abbey, it had begun to rain, and the boy slipped off his horse and helped guide it to the stables before removing his cowl once they got indoors.
"Shitty weather," he muttered, removing his gloves then wiping at the rain trickling down off his nose. "At least they've got a fire going in here. Shall we go speak to the head priest? I'm sure we shouldn't delay with any of this information."

Though as Kentamin stood there with Mercuxio, he noted the priest at the end of the pews, though a man, somewhat familiar, was standing beside him. He wrinkled his nose.
"Who's talking to the priest?"
He couldn't have known it was the Duke of Castavar's son- Leif Arrant. But one cold gaze cast their way was directed upon Merric. Yes... Leif knew Mercuxio too well and it seemed an awkward reunion was to be had.

"Ah, Mercuxio! What brings you here?" the priest called down the way to him. "And who's this with you? A knew priest in training I take it?"

Lion

[They would likely know each other, being priests n all.  And he would address him as Father Merric, not Mercuxio, for future know-how]

"Nobody of any note," Merric answered calmly once they made it into the abbey.  Why Leif Arrant would be here of all places was beyond him.  It was a remote location, a small chapel outside of a farming village.  But Merric knew if anything, likely the man was here because it had something to do with him.  As the priest was approaching, Merric muttered for Kentamin to keep his mouth shut before he bowed his head to the priest.

"Good evening Father Lionel," he said.  "This is Brother Kentamin.  I am sorry our arrival is so late.  It was a long journey from Mennelburk.  We had few moments of rest."

"Oh yes!  I forgot you were coming.  Please forgive me, of course.  Excuse me Lord Arrant.  You must be exhausted from riding so far."  Father Lionel nodded for Kentamin to follow him and Merric walked a bit down the aisle.  His weapon had since been removed from his side and their horses were tended to, as well as the evidence collected from the scene of the burned church, all brought down the Sanctuary below.  Merric stood only in his clean robes, as he had directed he and Kentamin to change before entering the Abbey.

He looked at Leif in the dim candlelight of the church and bowed his head to the young lord.  "Good evening, Lord Arrant.  What brings you to here this evening?" he asked softly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Lord Arrant regarded the other man coldly. He knew Mercuxio well enough, as he was no idiot to the men his 'dead' sister kept with; but that was not the reason he looked at the other man in mild disgust (though then again, Leif looked at just about anybody that way..)
And as he looked at the priest coldly, he simply replied, equally so, "A prayer."

"Yes," Father Lionel brightened. "You see.." and then his expression turned a bit more grave. "The church Lord Arrant attended-"

But Leif cut him off.

"It burned to the ground." And Leif did nothing to hide his disgust for his sister's former 'friend'.

Lion

At the revelation, Merric's face was stony and cold and he stared at Leif with eyes of ice.  "I've heard the news.  It is a tragedy in this day and age that not even a chapel is a haven for the weak and weary.  This war has brought many a man to his knees."

He bowed his head and signed across his chest before looking back at Leif again.  "I see the matter is troubling you deeply.  Please rest here for as long as you need Lord Arrant."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif gave a nod of his head.
"You're too kind, Father Merric," and was his voice extra strained and rough when he spoke Mercuxio's name? That much could be missed, though there was a sharpness to Leif's eyes.
"I might even so much as stay the week..."

Lion

Mercusio caught the glimpse in his eye, for his guaging was as sharp as an arrowpoint and honed in on it like a hunter.  He curled his lips up and gave the young nobleman a rare smile and another bow of his head.  "As a house of God, you are more than welcome here.  Please stay as long as you want," he reached across to take Leif's hand and shook it firmly.  "It is good to see you again.  Old friend."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif said nothing and simply turned away. He had nothing more to say to Merric, besides- he had work to do..

Kentamin frowned as Leif Arrant left.
"What a rude fellow," he commented under his breath. "I hope we're not staying the week, too."

Lion

"No, we can't be afforded that luxury," Merric said with a frown.  He watched Leif from the corner of his eye and he peered to Kentamin.  "Perhaps we should visit the Prayer Room first.  And you can ask Ansgar to forgive you for your transgressions," he suggested.  "A part of being a member of this Order is learning a little humility. Think about that for a moment."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Kentamin stared gapingly at the other man, but stilled his tongue- for he knew too wlel, (by now) that if he angered 'Father Merric' any further, he'd suffer a lot more in the end. Sighing, he simply followed after and parted ways when he entered the prayer room- and grumbled a lot more than prayed as he knelt before the private alter inside.

Lion

Next to the Confessional, Mercuxio stepped inside the prayer box and Father Lionel stepped into the opposing side.  It felt strange sitting on the other side of it, instead of listening to the Confession of a sinner.  He nodded to Father Lionel and bowed his head.  "Forgive me Father for I have sinned."  At that the other priest nodded to him and opposite the entrance door was a secret door that led to a staircase that led up above the prayer room and they could observ Kentamin in his prayer unnoticed.  "What do you make of him, Father?" Merric asked Father Lionel, watching Kentamin grumbled away with a deepened frown.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Father Lionel looked at Merric, then lowered his gaze.
"The priest in training?" he frowned. "I've.. seen worse."

Lion

"How worse?" he asked.  "The boy is eager.  But he needs more than training to allot him into the right shape.  He doesn't understand the gravity of what it means to become a Confessor, least of all a Templar.  I'm recommending demotion.  He has a lot to learn. I am not sure if he is willing."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Father Lionel studied Merric's face with a nod.

"Yes, but you must realize- because of the war, our numbers are waning. Even to lose one of us, even one so wreckless, is a blow to the cause. It was said.." he then added, with some hesitation. "That the Grand Duke had backed up the child. Is this true?"

It would make sense, that, or someone was feeding someone in the church coin- which was a nasty, vile thing to consider.

"But you think he is a waste?I  would not speak against your judgement, and in fact, I'd support you if you believe he is more of a hindrance. He is only in training- though they say he had a lot of potential. They never saw someone able to pull off the ... blessings a confessors needs as he had. IN fac,t it was strange that when he came ot us-he hadn't realized he had learned one of the abilities without our help. Do you not think that is dangerous? To just leave someone like that untrained? The church could offer more... direct means to rein him in." The man frowned. "he is but a child, though- rather young for this. Perhaps, whoever signed him on, should not have been so hasty."

Lion

Mercuxio shot him a glare and widened his eyes.  "That is impossible," he said in a low voice.  "You know that!  And if it is true, then what you speak of is treason of the highest regard.  A Confessor is not born with those blessings.  They are given to him if Ansgar favors him.  But he...  Kentamin is unfit.  He is not ready to be a Templar.  Not yet.  Give him five years, and maybe.  Maybe then.

"You know the rules.  Every Confessor knows them.  They burn them into your mind to make sure you never forget.  It is more than dangerous.  Once you become apart of the Order, you can't ever leave it, you know that.  But you also know that of course he cannot simply be cast out.  He would be castigated first, then stripped of those blessings.  Ansgar giveth, and he taketh away."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Father Lionel sighed.
"Then it just seems as if you are stuck with him, Father Merric. Have patience- it is what Ansgar would want."