Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Through the Fire, Dancing

Started by Lion, November 23, 2013, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

It felt like years since he last donned the blue robes of a Confessor of his rank, the Templar.  Mercuxio Rastognlir wore the white blue, and gold trimmed robes over the heavy but maneuverable armor that had been fashioned just for him.  Every sanctuary had a blacksmith, and every smith forged weapons and armor particular to the Confessor who ordered them.  Blessings were later placed upon such items, to give them special strength and reinforcement where other weapons might be brittle and easily worn.  Only in moonlight could the blessed runes be seen, in a half-light gleam as it ran across it.

Moonlight shone on them this night as the Confessors, Templar Merric and young Templar Kentamin, rode hard across the Valley on horseback, riding hard toward the city of Uthlyn, where the desecration of a chapel there had long since occurred.  The months of his furlough had been all but forgotten and whatever connection he'd regained with his family was put in the back of his mind.  The Order had sent them to the site of the desecration, and Mercuxio knew his duty came first before all else.

Merric did not speak to his apprentice more than he had to, for Kentamin was young and before him, there had been no one younger to achieve the rank of Templar so quickly, and despite his rank, which seemed to have been bought rather than earned, he still had much left to learn.  Mercuxio was the ranking Confessor in this excursion and Kentamin would take orders from him, and his input would only be required when asked for.  But the boy was eager to learn and he supposed there could be worse candidates for such a task.

Night had congealed around them by the time they had arrived into the gates of the city, and their robes were concealed by cloaks and Merric followed the directions given to him toward the burnt-down chapel.  It was a horrid sight, but the inward disgust he was feeling was cleverly concealed by a stony face.  Merric could only guess at the mindset of the perpetrators and what they would find within the ashes, that had since been rifled through by street rats.

He dismounted his black horse and motioned his apprentice to follow him.  He said nothing still to him, stepping around the rubble, and he stepped back and peered back to Kentamin.  "Tell me, what do you make of such a sight?" he asked at last.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Kentamin Dhelsbar was indeed, a fresh young face added tot he ranks of the church's prestigious templars. Perhaps a few favors brought his way in, but Kentamin's determination could not be shaken,a nd had gained him at least some respect amongst the elders. And he looked up and admired them with diligence and studiousness; and of course, was always eager to help. When he was assigned to help check the ruins of the church for more clues, he was more than happy to be able to assist.

And as the two approached, to see the reckage so close at hand made the young Templar frown as he scooped up some of the ashes and squeezed his hand around them as his fist shook at the rage that was building inside him.

"I think someone's going to pay,"t he young templar said bitterly as he tossed the crushed debris back down onto the ground. "Who could have done such a thing?" He shook his head. "And these are the times we live in." The boy seemed to sneer. "Though Angsar bless us, I hope we can find some clue to get whoever did this and find them.. so they can hang."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"An astute assumption," Mercuxio replied quickly.  There was less irritation in his voice than he would have liked to have presented, but he moved back toward the horses and pulled a torch out it.  Striking a match, he lit the wrapped tip until it was encased in fire and stood closer to the rubble and wreckage.  "But that is not what I meant.  Here, come with me.  Try not to disturb the ashes more than they already are."

Merric stepped in the middle of the church ashes, carefully and as softly as possible as he inspected their surroundings.  "I mean what clues do you see here?  Where does it seem as if the fire started?  What caused it?  Anything that might have been left in the wreckage?  A Confessor does more than simply prepare to smite all foes before you.  You must stay alert, keep your eyes open, be aware of all your surroundings."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Naturally, the young man's goals were a bit different than what Mercuxio would have liked- but most young boys were ignorant and thought nothing more than battles being something glorified. But at least this one was quick enough to know not to continue his focus in that direction as he gave a curious tilt of his head at Mercuxio's words.

"Where has it been started? Seeking a fire's founding origins is hardly in my expertise, Lord Rastognlir. But I shall try my best to find clues if it helps in reprimanding a criminal of Angsar."
This was definitely going to be a learning experience for the young man as his eyes began to cleave their way through the ashes as his boots weren't quite as uncareless as Mercuxio would probably like as the pair trudged their way through.

"So, do you think magic started this fire?" Kentamin asked, his eyes still roving for some sort of answer or clue. "They said the priests weren't even awake for morning mass when this had started, so I suppose we can only deduce it hadn't started in their rooms."

It was here Merric paused in a long hallway, long since burned away from the fires. But the stone aspects still remained- one, a pair of spiraling stone steps up to the belltower, and the other, he observed, stone steps leading into a basement.

"Do you think we might find any clues in these remains, sir?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"That is the point of coming here," Merric said with thinning patience.  "We are to see what we can find amidst the rubble, anything that wasn't plucked by common rabble.  Now start in rthe opposing corner of the chapel, the one right across from me and start digging.  Care not about soiling your robes, that is what they are for anyway."

Merric handed Kentamin the torch and took another from his saddle and lit it.  "Search inch by inch, and if you find anything usual, alert me immediately."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

This search was ridiculous...Not only.were.the.gingerly.sifting.through each piece of debris inside the fallen church, but the now dusted young templar  was growing hungry and.more.irritable, and as they continued in their.research, he released an annoying sigh as he picked up a half burned bible uncovered for.the fourth time.with.th.ashes.
"There seems to be nothing here. If the fire began on this wing then the fire ate most.of.our evidence." Pissed this was.resulting in litttle.more.than his robes.getting filthy, he turned with a sigh to leave, almost not catching the rusted necklace that scraped beneath his foot.

Lion

"Then you obviously do not see the point of our being here do you?  We look until we find something, anything that would shed some light on the events here.  Do not simply rely on what your eyes initially tell you.  Instead look upon the way they tell you.  The manner of words spoke matter just as much, if not more, as the words themselves."  And it was just when he finished that Merric heard the scraping of metal to stone and ash between them and he suddenly perk up from his own digging.  "Stop!  There!  Move your foot."  Mercuxio stood and stepped carefully between the ashes and soot before coming down toward the necklace underneath Kent's foot.  He held it gingerly in the palm of his glove.  "Now, this is something unusual. And not picked off by those alleyway vermin," he remarked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Yeah but what's one necklace going.to.do.to.help us out? From all this rubble, its.actually more strange.we'd find such a piece of.jewelry. unless you want.to believe.that incessant'Lady.of the Revolution is still alive' and it.belongs to her
:.. anyway, does the necklace.offer.some.sort.of.a.symbol of importance or origin? Maybe we can get.some.off of it, considering a lady.of.the church shouldn't.wear such a thing."

Ooc: passer, its attalia's necklace! Might be sad if it were one metric.gave to her D:

Lion

"Sometimes I wonder if you  purposefully let that brain in your skull gather dust or is it some debilitation from birth," Merric said grimly, not even bothering to look at his apprentice.  "Stop generalizing and start thinking, Dhelsbar.  I can't be doing all the thinking for the both of us."

Merric examined the pendant in his hand and turned it over carefully.  "But, despite your shortcomings, you did offer one useful comment.  That a woman of the chuch ought not to be wearing such an expensive item.  And certainly not a priest either, unless he was looking to be robbed.  This style of amulet is particularly expensive, with the diamonds and emeralds ecrusted around the center of a small heart, engraved at the center.  Bring that light over here boy," Merric stepped in closer to the torch and viewed the inscribed initials.  "A.A."

The necklace seemed all that more familiar with the mention of the initials and he could have sworn he knew someone who wore a similar necklace.  It wasn't a very popular design, but those that purchased it had a particular taste and one that reminded Merric of someone he had known quite well.  Attalia Arrant.  But that she could be involved in all this seemed even more preposterous.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Kentamin sighed, "So.you deduced a lady of means was trying to escape this way when It happened..Hrmm, that is interesting. Though she.might have been at the right place but the wrong time. Women, silly.little things. Seems.she thought the streets would be safe at inight,.let alone herself. I wonder.what drew here at such an hour."

Turning to Merrick he gestured towards th steeple.
"At least., this section is still standing. Shall we take look?"

Lion

Mercuxio silently listened to Kentamin's ruminations - for the young man seemed to enjoy wagging his mandible, and the Confessor, for the moment, was inclined to let him - while he held the pendant quietly in his hands.  His eyes were laid upon it and he studied every detail he could, to seal it into his memory, to brand it there with fire and hot iron.  And he knew the chances of this necklace belonging to the one person he knew it belonged do were growing exponentially with every breath.

And only when Kent gestured up to the spire did he look up to the young man.  "Yes, that would be a much better place to look.  Now bring the torch, and lead on."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

OOC: Man my last post was so special XD you can tell I posted that one when I was in the hospital via my phone :T

----------

Kentamin nodded, and taking a torch and a breath, lead the way. The spiraling stairs leading up seemed to go up forever, an the young boy, had he not been in better shape, would have surely died by the time he got to the top, but he was still panting nad sweating none the less as he wiped his forehead and stepped out into the bell tower.  It was pretty open, and as he approached, was somewhat startled when pigeons took off, fluttering nad leaving a snowy trail of feathers in their wake. He swore inwardly and sighed before turning back to Merric. "Seems like not much to find up here." He said, not realizing there was a hanging corpse stinking up behind one of the bells, that was... until his nostrils caught wind of the smell and he covered his nose.

"Ick, it smells worse than horse shit up here." And he found himself gagging as he drew out a silk kerchief and placed it over his nose nd breathed in that smell over the other odor, but still.. he wrinkled his nose of it. "Did the pigeons shit up here that much to make this place smell?"
And still, even as the boy was grumbling and looking around, the 'stiff' fly catching body remained, with a small trail of dry blood beneath it- but it was positioned just enough out of the way that the young boy would ont have seen it.. but perhaps to the trained eye.. one might.

Lion

Mercuxio was not so out of breath as Kentamin was, strange as it was, for he was older.  But he had been doing this for many years, longer than the boy had been alive.  He might have been a priest, but he'd never been one to become so complacent with his station that he allowed himself to become old and fat and inert.  A Confessor, particularly the Templar, was always moving, always listening, always learning, and always deducting. 

Merric stood beside the younger man and his overreaction toward the smell in the spire.  He turned and saw the body hanging in the corner, his eyes more adjusted to the dark than Kentamin's since he was not holding the torch.  "Seems we have a visitor just hanging around," Merric commented nonchalantly, ignoring the young Confessor's unsightly comments.  Which was good for the boy.  Merric might have thrown him out of the window if he kept on. 

"Let's cut him down.  Give me your blade," Merric instructed and looked around for a set of boxes that rose up from the side, allowing him to reach the rafters.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Kentamin was taken back by the body, and at the mention to use his weapon, he drew back with a gasp, kerchief still over his mouth and nose as he.griped,
"My blade? Is it wise to use a blessed item on something so foul?"
Truth be told, he figured he'd have frsh blood be the first thing to soil his blade, not the grime of some corpse!

Ooc: As soon as I have a moment, I need to look up whose body.this was from my other thread XD

Lion

Merric moved toward Kentamin, glaring him right in the eye before reaching a hand around his waist and pulling the sword from his belt.  "You do as you're told," he said and snatched it.  He climbed the steps that the boxes formed and carefully climbed up toward the rafters until he reached the old, rotted rope and slammed it against the wood, cutting the rope and dropping the body toward the floor.  It landed with a dull thud and he jumped down, landing with a grunt.  He gave Kentamin the courtesy of cleaning his blade from the dust and dirt before handing it back to him. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Kentamin was bewildered, and stared slack-jawed at the man before nearly dropping his blade when it was given back to him. And when he finally turned towards the corpse, he made a face.
"Gods, it reeks," he gagged again, pinning the kerchief over his nose and mouth again, but it only took a few seconds for him to realize, "Hey, this is no member of the church." And if anything, it looked like guards clothing.

Lion

"Perhaps a soldier of some kind," Merric remarked, when he walked around the body.  He was well rotted with all the time that had passed up here, but the priest didn't appear at all fazed by the smell of the body.  He had dealt with worse things in his lifetime.  "Check his pockets for anything in particular, that might signify identity or anything else," Mercuxio commanded, looking at Kentamin with hard eyes and an expression that told him he would club him if he refused.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Kentamin froze at the command, and felt the pit of his belly grow icy as he cringed back into reality. A wind swept in through the bell tower, fluttering his hair; though it wasn't the winds chill that had him almost teary eyed. THough what had he expected when he signed up? And after numbly moving to search the body, he noticed, with a gasp-
"There's blood!" And then upon further examination, he noted, "Looks like a knife wound." For at least he could see it appeared too shallow to be a sword. Though by now his heart was in his throat and his mind racing, he was able to calm himself down enough to realize he had taken a note from the man's pocket.

"H-here. I found this." And he was too lame by the experience to try to open it and read it himself, lest he'd realize it was a name of the cargo of mages that had been brought into this very place! And... even a few name of the priests over seeing the task.... Though it was not all of them, and some of it had been faded away by the recent rains that had soaked the rotting corpse's clothes.

"And he's got a few silver on him, but nothing more."

Lion

Mercuxio nodded to Kentamin's commentary and deduction skills as it were.  Well, it wasn't really a deduction as so much as stating the obvious.  Searching the corpse's pockets and body would have only produced such items as his apprentice just described.  "Good work," he commended while gingerly taking the note he produced in a gloved hand.

He gingerly unfolded the moldy and blood-stained paper.  Most of the writing seemed to be illegible and written in some kind of code that he could not readily decipher with just a single glance.  He would need to examine it in better lighting and when not in the company of bumbling fools like Kentamin.

"Perhaps he was a priest.  And the guard's hauberk was simply thrown over his body as a disguise," Mercuxio suggested, examining the area where the man was apparently stabbed, but the cloth itself wasn't pierced.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Maybe," Kentamin said, still feeling a bit on edge to have had to man handle a corpse. It gave him the willies! And he shivered and tried to shake it off before blinking and glancing over towards Merric.
"What's written on the paper? Anything of consequence?" The boy asked, trying to sneak a peak at it, though it was difficult to see in such poor lighting.