Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's a Trap (Zoz)

Started by Zero, December 20, 2013, 11:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Every nerve ending in his body was tingling, every sense was on high alert, had been almost since he had arrived. Cyrus knew he shouldn't have come here, it felt like the jaws of a trap were slowly closing in around him, suffocating him, cutting off all hope of escape. Maybe he was overreacting just a bit, but then again, this was Micah bloody Coleridge he was dealing with. When was that man not up to something? The man seemed to live and breathe for scheming, and appeared to take a special kind of sadistic pleasure in making his bastard Cyrus's life difficult.

The sprawling estate had drawn him in, it really had. When he had been invited to stay at his father's home, he'd been suspicious from the start, but it was hard to turn down Micah Coleridge. So he found himself in a gigantic and gaudy room. Seriously, who needed a sitting area in their bedroom? Or a bed that looked as if it could sleep ten? On second thought, that one might come in handy. He'd seen several pretty little lasses among the serving girls. Wouldn't Micah just love that? Shaking his head he opened the ornamental trunk at the foot of his canopy bed, it was full of neatly folded wool trousers, not a pair of them looking practical. There was a finely carved and gilded wardrobe against another wall full of tailored silk shirts and embroidered wool coats.

These were clothes for a lord, not someone like him. He was a solider, a gambler, and just an average kind of guy. Being a lord wasn't something he had ever really considered. Frankly, he didn't like most nobles. They were self-important, stuffy, strict, and worst of all – boring. With no small amount of annoyance he dressed himself in black and deep forest green, for the colors of Connlaoth. At least this was just for a few days, to make his father happy. Although, looking in the full length mirror he had to admit that he looked pretty good.

Dressed properly for polite society, and freshly shaved, he wandered out of his room and through the halls. Just the grand hall was larger than his entire house in Uthlyn. Nobles. Nobody actually needed this much space. The halls were dazzling as soft candle light caused the gold trimmings to sparkle with a warm glow, and the delicious smells of baking apple pies and cider drifted along behind him. Cyrus wondered if this was what it was like all the time for Evelyn, Gabriel, and Lillian. What would it have been like to have been raised here? For a moment, he felt pangs of regret and knew that here he was out of place. Men like him didn't belong in places like this.

His thoughts were interrupted by an arm wrapping lightly around his own, a head leaning against his elbow. Looking down he smiled as he found himself suddenly looking into large green eyes. Lillian smiled up at him for a moment before tugging at his sleeve gently. "Come on, Cyrus. Father says our guest will be arriving soon. I can't wait to meet her; father says she's going to study with Eve and me. There's going to be a fancy dinner tonight for her and everything. Let's go out to the veranda with father so we can welcome her when she arrives!"

Lillian was a lovely girl with soft blonde waves the color of ripe hay, and her happy-go-lucky personality was infectious. Out of his three half-siblings, she was the only one that truly and unconditionally accepted him. As she led him through the halls to the front door she spoke animatedly about one of the young gentlemen she had met at a party recently. He couldn't help but laugh good-naturedly at her insistence that one day she would marry the young lord and live happily in her very own castle. At only fourteen, his sister wasn't old enough to marry yet, but it was only a matter of time before these childish daydreams would actually mean something. Of course he had no doubt that by then it would be some other handsome young knight she desired.

Micah barely gave them a passing glance as they joined him at the grand entrance. Cyrus still had the sneaking suspicion that his father was up to something that he probably wasn't going to be happy about. Already he was wondering who this woman was that was coming to stay with his father, but did it really matter? He could fake manners for a few days, then be on his way back to Uthlyn in no time. When the carriage pulled up the drive, it would be greeted by the cunning smile of Micah Coleridge, with Lillian and Cyrus speaking softly together as they stood arm-in-arm.

zozee9

Marie took three deep breaths (or as deep of breaths as her tight corset would allow) as the Coleridge manor came into sight. She knew she had to stay calm. If she blew the dinner... well, she would practically ruin her future. Forever. Micah Coleridge and his children would tell everyone about how she would make the worst wife and that her commoner blood was unmistakable despite her noble raising. No, she had to seem desirable.

Furthermore, she would be staying in the manor and courting Cyrus Orchards. First impressions meant everything. Marie used the reflection of the window to fix her hair, which was braided and then twisted into an elegant bun. A few strands had fallen loose and she was putting almost all of her concentration into pinning them back up. Even in the reflection, her bright green eyes stood out like cat eyes in the midst of the night.

Since Duke Coleridge had paid for the carriage, Lilac had taken the liberty to use the money saved to buy Marie a few new dresses. The nicest of which, of course, was the one that Marie was currently wearing. The emerald coloring perfectly matched her eyes and the golden sash tied around the middle to form a bow was simply sublime. While Marie normally didn't like dresses that poofed out so much below the waist, even she had to admit that the dress was magnificent.

The beauty of what she was wearing, however, hardly mattered to her at the moment. She had finished fixing her hair (though she was still checking it to make sure that is truly was perfect) and, with only a minute or so left, had changed her primary focus to making sure she remembered all of the details correctly. There was Micah Coleridge, the father and Duke of Orchy. Then there was Gabriel who, she was informed, was not able to make it that night. Evelyn and Lillian were the two sisters who were supposed to be sweet as freshly picked honeydew apples. The main person she had to focus on, however, was Cyrus. The illegitimate and infamous man who she would be courting.

Marie wasn't so quick to judge on rumors, though. Illegitimacy was nothing that bothered her—especially when her family was still promised reward upon marriage. After all, she was biologically the daughter of servants. Talk of drinking, gambling, and womanizing was slightly more worrisome. Those were the kinds of things that could ruin her image if he was to keep doing them. And if her image was ruined, then the image of her family would be tainted. Nonetheless, she could only do so much. First she had to worry about getting them to like her. Then she could worry about shaping him up into a better man.

She was just about to start fretting over the 'do's and 'don't's of the night before she realized that the carriage had already jerked to a stop. The cool air from outside was flowing in from the door that was being held open and she knew she couldn't wait any longer. So she took one last deep breath and stepped out of the carriage, awaiting whatever welcoming was to come from the strangers looking down upon her.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Zero

As Cyrus and Lillian stood arm in arm, quietly talking about each other's lives, Evelyn finally appeared from within the house. Her dress was elegant and modest, in a soft ivory silk. She moved to stand by her father's side, after giving an eye roll in the direction of her younger sister. At least Gabriel had the good sense to be ashamed of Cyrus, like her, but Lillian seemed to embrace the ill-bred ruffian as easily as she did her real brother. Evelyn had expressed her distaste for this charade to her father, but he had scolded her to mind her own business. At least the potential bride was well chosen. The girl wasn't a real lady at all, so at least her father hadn't lost his sanity enough to try to subject a true noble to such a farce.

Micah eyed all three of his present children with a calculating eye as the carriage drew closer. He could read them all fairly well. Lillian would give him no trouble at all, of course, but Cyrus was ill-mannered at best and Evelyn he knew could be deceptively sweet while harshly scathing. At least it was Marie that was the one that was really under pressure here. Micah could make things very difficult for her family in the future if this endeavor did not go well. "As a reminder, this is a very special guest, and everyone is to be on their absolute best behavior. Especially you, Cyrus. Don't embarrass me."

Cyrus shot his father a withering look just as the carriage pulled to a stop and a servant opened the door for whoever was inside. He didn't know what to expect, to be honest, obviously a lady, perhaps a young one to be a companion for Lillian, or from an affluent family his father wanted to extort. What he got was not something he really expected. Her dark hair and tan skin were not common in Connlaoth, and she was just a little taller than many women he knew. She was too old to be here for Lillian, and Evelyn certainly wouldn't have a companion. It unsettled him greatly as he turned over possibilities in his mind. Was she here for his father? Micah was a widower, but surely he wouldn't take a lady this young.

Micah smiled warmly as Marie stepped out of the carriage and stepped forward quickly to take her hands in his. "Lady Marie, I'm so happy you've arrived safely. Please let me introduce my children to you. The woman to my right is my daughter Evelyn. The charming little lady over there on that handsome fellow's arm is my dear Lillian, and he is none other than Cyrus, who I was telling you so much about. My servants will take your things to your room, I had the finest guest suite in the house prepared for your arrival, my child. But enough of that, I trust you had a pleasant trip?"

zozee9

Marie smiled kindly as Micah started the introductions. It wasn't hard to tell who was who, though, seeing as the family was quite small and they were easy to tell apart. Visiting any of her cousins proved to be much more of a hassle, with their families nearing a dozen. She smiled at each one as she observed them, wondering how much she had heard was true. Her eyes lingered extra on Cyrus not only because he was, in all honestly, the one that mattered most, but also because she was somewhat surprised.

"Quite pleasant," Marie replied politely, finally breaking eye contact with Cyrus and looking at Micah instead. "The carriage was unlike any I've ever been in. Thank you for sending it—and for everything. I look forward to my stay here."

She returned her gaze back to the trio of siblings and curtsied. "I am Marie Wakefield. It is a pleasure to meet you Lady Evelyn, Lady Lillian, and, of course, Lord Cyrus." But no matter how much she tried to look at them all equally, her eyes kept resting on Cyrus.

While he had a reputation of being handsome (a reputation Micah had made sure to enforce), the bad words spewed about him had made her expect something... lesser. Definitely not a fit, charming, and dignified man. Looking into his eyes, it was almost as if she saw herself. Which, she decided, was probably because his eyes were the same emerald green as hers. There was no way they were alike—he seemed to do everything to lower the honor of his family while she did everything she could to honor her family more. No, they were most definitely opposites.

And yet something about his presence seemed so familiar.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Zero

Cyrus felt like he was a stallion at market, being looked over with a thorough eye to make sure he was worth the hide on his back. A cold pit had formed in his stomach, Micah had tricked him. He'd got him out to the estate and dressed him up like a fancy show pony to march along to a potential buyer. His father was trying to set him up! He'd always known that his siblings would be pushed into arranged marriages, hell, Gabriel already was and the poor kid seemed miserable. Why him, though? He was just a bastard. There was nothing he could offer to some lady.

Deep green eyes hadn't left Marie since she'd stepped from the carriage, but as she curtsied and introduced herself Cyrus couldn't help but shoot his father a glare. The girls curtsied back, although Evelyn looked as if she had tasted something unpleasant as she did so. There really were only two things he could do. He could play along for the moment, at least get through supper. Or he could just straight up crash and burn his father's plans right then and there. There was a more than small part of him that wished to do the latter.

"Please Lady Wakefield, I am no lord, simply Cyrus will do." Squaring his shoulders, Cyrus bowed deeply to the lady. He didn't want to embarrass her by causing a big scene. Although the approving nod Micah gave made him set his lips in a thin line, he had to bite his tongue not to say some choice words to Duke Micah bloody Coleridge right then and there. "It is an honor and a privilege to meet you. I hope you enjoy your stay and if there is anything I can do to make your visit more pleasant, please let me know."

zozee9

Noticing his perfect formalities and stiffness, Marie couldn't help but wonder if he had been scolded by the Duke to act politely. No judgement of his character could truly be made when he was around his father... or any member of his family, for that matter. But at least he had the dignity not to create a fool out of himself in the present situation.

A small smile playing on her lips, Marie responded, "If you are simply Cyrus, then I believe I am simply Marie. And I promise I will let you know if anything is wrong, but I doubt anything will be. I have heard that your family makes excellent hosts." Rather, that's what Micah had told her.

Zero

"Oh I assure you, my father is one of the finest hosts in all of Connlaoth. His hospitality is practically famous. At least, so I hear. As I'm not usually subject to his gracious hosting, it is hard for me to say for sure." Cyrus managed to say the jab with a straight face; quite a feat, considering what he really wanted to do. Showing what he felt was a great deal of self-restraint, he managed to smile at Marie, after all, it wasn't her he was cross with.

"You've had a long trip, dinner will be served shortly, and perhaps you would like to be shown your room so you can freshen up from your journey before then." Turning he began to walk away, speaking over his shoulder. "Father, a word, if you would."

Micah looked annoyed for a moment before smiling apologetically to Marie. "You'll have to excuse him, as I said before; he's a bit rough around the edges. You'll smooth him right out, my dear. Lillian, show our guest to her room, if you please. Supper will be in the dining hall in half an hour, punctuality is appreciated."

zozee9

Her smile turned into a frown at Cyrus's jab at his father. So much for perfect formalities—this was more of what she had been expecting when she came. Well, at least the harshness wasn't directed towards her. Even still, nothing was more unattractive than a man who didn't value family.

She let him talk things out with his father and gratefully followed the sister to her room. Marie made small talk about books and dresses and school and other random topics that she figured Lillian might be interested in. She learned that the girl really was as sweet as her reputation and wouldn't let a second pass in silence. She certainly was very welcoming.

The room they finally arrived at was as big as she was expecting and she couldn't help but wonder why anyone would ever need so much space. The reason, she remembered, was to show that they had so much money they could waste space.

Dinner time came shortly after and Lillian started to lead her down to the dining hall. It was at this time that the girl asked about her brother. Marie replied as professionally as she could, talking about how he seemed to have "quite the spirit" and would make a "brilliant soldier". She left it at that, knowing that she shouldn't speak any ill towards the man she would be courting—especially not to his sister.

The dining hall, she discovered, was overwhelmingly big. The small number of people filling it up only helped to serve it's grandeur. Habit was the only thing running her motions as she sat down. Her head was starting to feel airy and her chest tight, but she knew she should wait until grace was spoken before even taking a sip of water. So instead she looked around the table with the best smile she could manage.

Zero

From the moment Marie and Lillian were out of earshot almost until time for supper, Cyrus and Micah were in bitter and heated discussion over Marie Wakefield. It was the same old arguments, of course. Micah was demanding that Cyrus settle down with a good woman and Cyrus was venomously against his father dictating his life in such an intimate and personal way. Especially without so much as asking him or even involving him in the process. They parted a few minutes before dinner was to be served, both annoyed and unwilling to bend on the matter.

Micah and Evelyn were seated when Marie and Lillian joined them. The father smiled at his youngest daughter and his (hopefully) soon to be new daughter. His annoyance at the fact that Cyrus was not there and seated before his potential bride did not even show. Evelyn on the other hand looked very irritated. "Father, this is unacceptable. He is being rude again by his tardiness. We should –"

"You should what?" She was interrupted by Cyrus walking in from another direction. He threw a wicked smile at his sister, who promptly shut her mouth, though she still glared at him. A moment later he moved to take the seat next to Marie and gave her one of his best smiles. "Forgive me, Marie. I'm afraid I was rude earlier. You see, I was not made aware of the nature or purpose of your visit. Father neglected to inform me that I was to have a young lady come courting. It really isn't an excuse for my comment, but I was a little angry with father. I hope you won't hold it against me."

zozee9

Marie wasn't too bugged by the tardiness of Cyrus, though she did find Evelyn's irritation quite amusing. But when Cyrus came and spoke, even Marie's mask slipped and her mouth fell open into a small 'o'. She glanced hesitantly at Micah, knowing she would have to choose her words carefully.

In truth, she was rather annoyed and angered that the Duke hadn't told his son about her. How low did he view her? Did he think that she was just some girl he could promise a potential fortune and good standing to but give no respect? He had made a fool out of her, Cyrus, and, in Marie's opinion, himself.

But she couldn't say that. In this situation, she really was just some girl. His hold on her was so great that there were only a handful of things that he could do that would cause her to walk away. And making a fool out of her, sadly, was not one of those things.

Even still, she couldn't let the situation go unspoken. So she smiled back coldly at Cyrus—though surely he would know the coldness was directed towards his father—and said, just a little too sugarcoated in tone, "I'm afraid he hadn't spoken a word of his silence to me, otherwise I would have introduced myself in a different manner as well. Alas, it seems that even the greatest of people can forget important words."

Zero

Evelyn had the good sense to look embarrassed when her father was subtly called out on his deception, and Lillian was covering her mouth, green eyes wide as she stared at Marie. Micah simply gazed at her coolly, expression unreadable. Of course he knew that she didn't approve of his not telling Cyrus about her. It had been a little insulting, but he had his reasons for silence on the matter. Whether her sugarcoated admonishment annoyed or angered him was not hinted at in his manner.

"I think that is enough chatter for the moment, children. I will say grace so that we may eat. The cooks worked very hard to give us an exceptional spread this evening." All of the Coleridge's – including Cyrus- bowed their heads before Micah began. "Ansgar, we thank you for the bounty you have provided to my family, and may we always count our many blessings which you have rewarded to us. In your name alone we pray, Amen."

There was a soft chorus of amen from the servants and the family and almost immediately afterwards there was a bustle of activity to uncover dishes. The main course was duck, roasted with honey and chestnuts. There were also baked apples, yams, rice, peas, fresh rolls with butter, and a sweet and sour sauce. There were two glasses in front of each of them, one with water and one with spiced cider.

Cyrus had folded his hands in his lap for grace, but now he rested his elbows on the armrests of his chair and steeple his fingers while gazing thoughtfully at Micah, who had simply begun eating as if nothing had happened at all that evening. At the very least he needed to get through supper without incident. He decided to try to at least get things back on a reasonable track. "So Marie, despite the unimpressive start to your stay, I really do hope you enjoy your time here Why don't you tell me a little about yourself? I have to say I'm really curious what type of woman father thinks I should marry."

zozee9

Marie was glad that Micah let her words go through silently—if he had called her out on it, they both knew that she would have to swallow her pride and apologize. But instead he moved the night on.

She almost perfectly fit in with the family with grace. It was something they did—though perhaps not quite so formally—at her own house as well, so it didn't even feel out of place. The dishes were uncovered and Marie let out a small gasp. It all looked so delectable and mouthwatering.

Cyrus, to her surprise, started talking to her. His words were polite and formal as they should be, and they provided the exact opportunity she needed to show Micah that she was still interested and shouldn't be disregarded.

Her smile turned slightly more genuine as she responded, "I must say, I do like to cook. The food in front of us right now truly delights me... hopefully someday I'll be able to cook everything at this table. Moving on, however, I also enjoy to read all sorts of novels and stories and poetry. But the thing that I love to do more than anything else, or so I've discovered, is create music. I dabble in various instruments, but have found pianos to be most exquisite." While this was the truth, she mostly brought up the music aspect because Micah had specifically talked about Cyrus's love for violins. "What about you? How do you prefer to pass your free time?"

Zero

Cyrus really only planned on playing the part of a good and proper gentleman for this one night. First thing in the morning he planned to be on his merry way. Maybe even before dawn. He could make it back to Uthlyn in good time and wash his hands of this nonsense. He felt bad that this entire fiasco was probably going to cause Marie a great deal of embarrassment, but honestly that wasn't his fault. Sure she was pretty, but he didn't want to get married to any girl, didn't matter how pretty she was.

Of course he smiled and listened attentively as she started talking about herself. He'd only asked to be polite, but when she began talking of books and music he found himself actually interested in what she had to say, despite himself. "Books are fantastic and I was lucky that I was taught how to read, by my father's graces I got to enjoy tutoring in a lot of subjects. Unfortunately I wasn't able to learn how to play the piano, but they are beautiful instruments. Music is wonderful and so soulful. I was taught the violin, but I am afraid I am no musician. I don't think my skills worthy of public display, but maybe you would do me the honor of playing for me after supper. We have a piano in the music room."

zozee9

Marie smiled to herself as Cyrus enthusiastically responded. Apparently her words had caught his attention—the advice Micah gave her on what to talk about worked better than she had been expecting. Luckily for Marie, the topics actually interested her. That meant she wouldn't be spending the rest of the night wasting time pretending to be enjoying herself... like most conversations she had with anyone outside of her family.

Finding herself swept into the conversation, her spirit matched his own, "Ah, I totally agree! I believe there is no greater way—no painting or words—that can express emotion better than music. My parents taught me how to read, but I taught myself how to play the piano. Oh goodness me, now it sounds like I'm bragging. Anyway, if you would like me to teach you to play the piano, I'd happily oblige. I'm no tutor, but surely I could show you a thing or two?"

She paused and looked him straight in the eyes. "I would be most grateful to use your piano and play for you. But surely your family and I do not count as a public display? It only seems fair that you should share your skills, which are no doubt remarkable, with me if I am to share mine with you."

Zero

Cyrus really hadn't been sure what to expect from Marie, he had wanted to dislike her, to find flaw in everything she did, said, or was. Not because of her, but simply because she was the girl that his father had chosen. He hadn't expected to have much of anything in common with a noblewoman. Begrudgingly he had to admit that his father seemed to have at least tried to find a woman that wouldn't drive him completely mad. At least surviving the night wouldn't be unbearable.

"Music is the soul speaking, I agree. Don't get me wrong, there are some find artists, and their work is a good expression of themselves and their subjects, but music can truly entrance the heart and mind." Lots of people liked music, he reminded himself. Besides, how much was she saying simply to try to impress or engage him? After what his father had done to get him here, he really wasn't sure how far he could trust any of them right now.

"If the beautiful Lady Wakefield wishes to hear me play, then I have little choice but to fulfill her desire. Perhaps we can play together? I know several of the great symphonies; a violin and piano duet would be quite remarkable." Every other person seated at the table were (subtly) watching them with interest, and Cyrus knew it. Well, he could certainly put on a good show to appease his father then slip out when they had all gone to bed.

zozee9

Now it was Marie's turn to be hesitant. The stress of the situation was becoming overwhelming. She felt confident playing piano in front of others—in fact, playing the piano actually calmed her nerves. Even in front of this small group of people who felt as if they mattered more than the hundreds of people she had played for before combined, she felt confident.

But she had never played alongside anyone else before. It was something she had always wanted to do in the comfort of her own home or with a couple of nonjudgemental friends. Not in a time when perfection was key. But at this time, perfection way key... and that need for perfection is what made her unable to deny the offer.

"Of course," she replied with a sweet smile. "But I must say, I have not yet had the pleasure of making music with someone else. So my ability will most most likely be worse than you wish for and expect—I hope that's okay?"

Zero

Cyrus had to admit that Marie was admirably cool under pressure. This was had to be at least almost as stressful for her as it was for him. Of course she had been in on the whole thing, where he had not. That just made him more curious about her. Had this proposed match been decided by her parents, where she was just as pushed as he was, or had she willingly agreed to try to win him over? If she had agreed to this with any sort of enthusiasm, what was she thinking? He was little better than a peasant if Evelyn were to believed.

"Don't worry about your performance, Marie; I'm sure you'll do fine. Especially when put next to me. I told you, I'm not a brilliant musician. I can play well enough to permanently damage any eardrums, but not much better." He thought that his self-teasing might put her at ease about playing for him, and the others. They would be more judgmental then he, for certain. Although, it was him she was trying most to impress, so she should be fine. After all, his father wasn't going to give up on seeing him securely wed, that was obvious, so it wasn't like a poor piano recital was going to damage her chances.

Giving her one of his disarming smiles he gestured towards the table's other occupants. "At this rate everyone else will be done long before us. You should try the back apples, they're delectable. Actually anything with apples is good here. Orchy is famous for their apple orchards, after all."

zozee9

Marie laughed at Cyrus's little quip about himself. With that and his following smile, she was starting to understand how he was able to be such a womanizer. He had the charm and the looks. She knew she couldn't be taken in by it, though. He'd probably try to woo her and then abandon her whenever he got the chance. She had to stay attentive and see through his silly tricks for the sake of her honor and future.

But that didn't mean she couldn't have a good time and play along.

Returning his smile with her own best one, she replied, "Ah, if you think they are delectable, than they must be." She looked around at all of the dishes with apples and silently cursed them all. She had been expecting this when she came, of course, but that didn't change the fact that she found apples utterly despicable. There was no food that she found more repulsive or disgusting, and yet she had found her way into the apple country.

The rest of the dinner involved nothing more than small talk and fake smiles as Marie did her best not to spit out the food and let them know how much she hated apples. After all, how would she be able to marry a Lord of Orchy if he knew she despised the food the county was known for? So she swallowed every last bite, drinking as much water and eating as much apple-less food as she could to cancel the taste without being suspicious. Once the dinner was finally over, Marie took a deep breath and once again thanked everyone for the 'delicious' food before wondering if she'd be able to last the night without throwing it all up.

Zero

Oh yes, Cyrus had all the right charms to woo the ladies, and some women did find him very attractive. It was his smile that really brought it all together though, and he loved to smile, especially at pretty women. Of course, he only ever tried to get the attention of lower-classed women, girls who wouldn't be shamed by their trysts. Tavern maids were his favorites. Never before had he tried to woo a noble lady, and he really wasn't planning on trying. Cyrus Orchards was not the marrying kind, thank you very much, and marriage was the only thing these high-class girls were after.

He picked at his food, eating enough to be polite, but really not much more. The apple cider went down bitterly to him, and the food wasn't so flavorful to his palette, but any food might taste like ash to someone in his position. This was a set-up, after all. Anger still seethed in him just beneath the surface, he wanted to disbelieve, but this really wasn't unlike his father at all. The man was controlling and ruled the family with an iron fist. Cyrus had been foolish to think that he would have been exempt from that.

As soon as everyone was finished – Lillian was last to put down her fork – Micah cleared his throat, eyes fixated on Cyrus and Marie, and spoke with a cheery tone. "Well now, let's all go to the music room. I'm quite eager to hear the two of you perform together."

zozee9

Marie smiled at Micah and responded, "That would be wonderful. I am interested to hear Cyrus play—it has been a while since I have even heard notes come out of a violin." She turned her gaze to Cyrus and added, "And I'm sure you're not as bad as you claim."

She stood up with everyone else and followed Micah towards the music room in silence. She was too nervous to start a conversation and didn't want to waste any breath. She still felt lightheaded, even after all of that food. In fact, she was feeling more lightheaded than when they had started. But she would play, get through the rest of the night, and then sleep as long as she was able. All she had to do was hold out, just like always.