Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's a Trap (Zoz)

Started by Zero, December 20, 2013, 11:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

No, Lillian didn't understand it, not at all. The girl frowned as she looked at Marie thoughtfully, wondering if her new friend had this attitude because she wasn't as high born as her family was. Or maybe it was because she was adopted.

Her train of thought was interrupted by the question. "I guess I will be a catch for whoever daddy says is good enough. I bet he'll have me marry a duke or a duke's son. For now I just like looking at the young lords and knights, but I don't think daddy would let me marry any of them. Did you ever like a boy? I bet Cyrus sure wasn't your first choice, though you gotta admit, he's not bad-looking! A lot of the maids like to giggle about him. They used to giggle about Gabe too, but then he got married and they are afraid of Valia!"

Lillian laughed merrily at this revelation. Her brother's wife had a nasty temper and was an unpleasant person in general, but her bother seemed to like her for whatever reason. Daddy didn't like her, but not even daddy could make Gabe change his mind.

zozee9

Marie was glad her topic switch worked so perfectly, and she couldn't help but laugh at Lillian's comment. "I admit, your brother is quite attractive!" And it was true, even Marie couldn't deny that. "And in reality, he's better than whatever my first choice would have been." His family's prestige was quite nice, though he did have a rotten attitude. "And I've heard that lady Valia has quite the personality. I suppose she will be my sister in law someday, won't she?" Marie gasped in false astonishment as she quickly added, "And so will you!"

Something about Lillian's personality made Marie relax and just want to laugh. After a moment of thought, she realized that it was probably because the girl was so unlike her. She was naive, foolish, and didn't seem to have a care in the world. But she was lovable.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Zero

"You know, Cyrus would say that saying Valia has 'quite the personality' is just a nice way of saying 'spoiled brat'." Lillian said this completely seriously, face having turned grave as she imparted this little tidbit of oh-so-important wisdom. Of course she was grinning a moment later. Daddy said that Cyrus was a bad influence on her, but she disagreed! She learned such fascinating things from listening to and observing her half-brother. He knew what commoners were like!

"Yes, we'll be sisters. It's so wonderful, it will be good to have a nice sister. Evelyn is so cranky and mean all the time. I don't think she likes me very much. And Valia only likes herself." She went on, obviously very pleased with this development in the family dynamic. "I know that this courtship is really just a formality at this point and that you're going to marry Cyrus almost no matter what, but I really hope that you'll come to like him. I know he can be stupid, it is a man thing, I think, but he's really not so bad. It would be awful to be married to somebody you couldn't stand."

zozee9

Marie blushed as Lillian called her out on the comment. "I meant that more along the lines of I heard she can be a handful sometimes!" she responded a little defensively before slowly adding in, "But I have also heard she's a spoiled brat, if I'm going to be honest. Please don't tell anyone I said that, Lillian? I want to get along with her as best as I could... plus, I try to withhold all judgement until I meet the person themself." She tried with Cyrus, but example had shown that the judgement passed upon him by others was quite accurate.

Smiling as Lillian defended her brother, Marie reassured, "I have learned to stand everyone, Lillian. Sometimes it just takes a deep breath and sealed lips, but it's always possible. I am sure your brother is wonderful, however... now, seeing as we both seem to be done eating, shall we go visit him?"
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Zero

"Oh relax, I'm not gonna tell on you. You worry too much, all your secrets are safe with me!" Lillian laughed softly, she didn't understand why Marie was so nervous, but she had never been in the other woman's position either. It must be scary trying to impress your future husband's family. She hoped that it wouldn't be that scary for her in a few years when it was time for her to get married!

The young woman grinned as she bounced out of her seat energetically. "Yep! Let's go watch Gabe and Cyrus beat each other up with sticks! Daddy will be out there too!"

Lillian led the way through the house, talking animatedly, and very quickly, the entire time. Mostly about which young knights she thought had the best of which features. Such as which had the best smile, or the pretties eyes, or the most impressive muscles. They arrived at a courtyard surrounded by hedges. Both Gabriel and Cyrus had discarded their coats and despite the cool weather both had sweat glistening on their brows as they blocked and parried, advanced and retreated from each other.

Micah was seated comfortably watching his sons as they sparred. An untrained eye might think they were fairly evenly matched, but if you looked closer Gabriel's strikes weren't quite as fast or as hard as those Cyrus pushed forward with. The blonde-haired man also looked slightly more winded than his dark-haired brother. The duke spotted the girls and gave them a smile before gesturing to the two chairs waiting for them. Servants were standing by to provide anything that might be requested.

Lillian skipped over happily and plopped into the chair closest her father. "Good morning, Daddy!"

"Good morning, sweetheart. How are my girls?" He looked at Marie as he said it, obviously including her in 'his girls'. Gabriel and Cyrus didn't seem to have noticed their arrival as they were quite caught up in their duel.

zozee9

Marie gazed in wonder the second she saw the brothers sparring. Fighting was quite a fascinating thing... and it seemed to her that they were both quite good at it. Why people would hurt each other for fun always seemed confusing to her, but at the same time it looked like a dance. Plus, she knew, these men could be in the army someday. Better learn to fight before you're put on the field.

Marie followed Lillian as she watched the duel, but Micah's voice surprised her. "Oh!" she exclaimed, startled. "Quite well, thank you for asking. Your daughter makes a lovely companion, I must say. As well as your son, of course... And how are you?" She gladly took the seat beside Lillian, mostly happy that she wouldn't have to sit next to Micah. Even the sight of him made her nervous, and she hoped that the farther away from him she was, the less she'd have to speak. And maybe, just maybe, being one seat farther would make him forget about and stop judging her.

Zero

"I'm so glad to hear that, Lady Marie. It is good to know that my son's behavior hasn't changed your mind about this arrangement. I assure you I spoke with him quite sternly and at great length on the proper way to speak with a lady." Micah didn't look at Marie now, he was watching his sons intently, judging their reactions to every move the other made, looking for flaws or signs of weakness.

The loud crack of wood hitting wood resounded louder than before and then the duller sound of wood striking flesh and a grunt of pain drew the attention of every eye in the courtyard. Gabriel was on one knee, clutching his arm, his practice sword on the ground forgotten as he looked up at Cyrus with a scowl. Cyrus was grinning down at his half-brother triumphantly. "Five hits to me, only two to you. I win."

Lillian jumped up and clapped enthusiastically for her brothers. "You're both so good! You'll get him next time, Gabe, I just know it!"

Cyrus helped his brother back to his feet before they both walked over to Micah and bowed to him, which the duke returned with a barely perceptible nod. Lillian interjected excitedly. "Gabriel! You need to meet Lady Marie. She's going to marry Cyrus, can you believe it?!"

Gabriel has straightened himself out and smiled brilliantly at Marie. "I had heard, but it is good to meet you, Lady Marie." Gabriel glanced at his father. "Father, shame on you, subjecting such a lovely young woman to some cad like Cyrus."

"Hey!" Cyrus growled, punching his brother on the arm. Gabriel rubbed his arm where he'd been hit, but there was a smirk on his lips.

Micah chuckled at his sons. "I think it will be a delightful union. That she is such a lovely and well brought up young lady is precisely why I chose her."

zozee9

Marie sat uncomfortably as Micah responded to her, but was glad that he seemed distracted enough by the fight that she didn't have to respond. Something about the fact that Cyrus was a better fighter than his more popular brother made her a little happy, though it was an odd thing. It was probably because Gabriel was known to be better in every aspect (even though his wife was a rotten person, he at least had a wife!). He was charming, of complete noble blood, and was quite the looker...

... though, upon seeing the two brothers side by side, Marie realized that Cyrus had his own beauty to him. It was exotic, different, and unlike the typical attractive Connlaoth man. It was, no doubt, due to his mother. But, if she had known nothing about the personality of either and had just seen them standing as they were, she would have chose Cyrus to have been the more appealing one.

Hearing her name, Marie stood up quickly and curtsied. "You all flatter me with your compliments," she replied with a sweet and insincere smile (as they typically were). "But I am sure it will be a lovely marriage. To have been matched with a man of Cyrus's caliber was not something I could ever have dreamed of."

Zero

"If Cyrus is better than the men you were dreaming of before then you must have been dreaming of the wrong men, my lady." Gabriel said with a grin. Cyrus hit him on the arm again with a look that could kill.

"Gabriel, stop being mean to our brother. Cyrus is quite a catch and I think Marie is going to love being part of our family." Lillian interjected, coming to the defense of her half brother, she had even put one fist on her hips and had been wagging the index finger of her other hand at him as if she was scolding an unruly child and not the heir of Orchy.

Micah had watched the entire exchange with an air of disinterest in the bickering of his children, but now he looked at Cyrus expectantly, arching one fair brow as if to ask what his son was waiting for.

Servants had approached with coats, holding them open as Cyrus and Gabriel slipped back into the garments. Hastily Cyrus buttoned his up before smoothing the wool down to make himself presentable before he approached his intended. Holding his arm for Marie to take, fully aware that he had a lot of eyes watching his ever move like a hawk he cleared his throat. "Ah, Lady Marie, would you like a tour of the ground? Father suggested I show you around the gardens."

zozee9

Marie observed Cyrus's interactions with his siblings. It was already clear that he and Lillian got along quite well, but there seemed to be a little bit of poison between him and his brother hidden behind the playful teasing. Whether or not that poison was just made up due to her own good relationship with her brother, or it actually existed, was something she had yet to see.

Standing up, she took his arm with a smile. "Of course, that sounds absolutely wonderful," she responded sweetly. Her inner thoughts, however, didn't quite agree. Father suggested I show you around the gardens. Of course he did. While she was glad that Cyrus hadn't decided to run away in the middle of the night or rebel to their courting yet this morning, couldn't he have enough sense to at least pretend it was him that wanted to show her around? Even if the sentiments were false, it would have been nice.

But she wasn't in the spirit or position to decline, so, as always, she faked her happiness.

Zero

Cyrus flashed a forced smile as Marie accepted his arm, tossing a look his father's way before guiding the young lady on his arm away from his family, who watched them leave with interest before Micah chastised them to return to more useful activities.

Not wanting to waste time, he took them directly to the sprawling gardens that Micah's late wife had carefully cultivated and had so adored in her lifetime. As they came to one of the stone pathways he stopped and turned to look down at her intently. "Lady Marie, I need to apologize to you for my behavior last night. It was childish and uncalled for. We both know that my father demanded the apology, but I don't want you to dismiss it as insincere just because of that."

Sighing he ran a hand through his dark hair, messing it just a little. "Look, this whole arranged marriage thing completely blindsided me, even though it shouldn't have. I should have known my father would decide to meddle with my life. The point is, I'm angry and frustrated with him, and I took it out on you. I really am sorry about that. You don't deserve to be yelled at because my father is an ass. You also don't deserve to be stuck with a bull-headed, unrefined jerk like me. For that I'm really sorry."

zozee9

Marie followed Cyrus towards the garden and was surprised when he suddenly stopped. His apology caught her slightly off guard—just the timing, for she knew his father would have demanded it. As he started, she stared at him blankly before catching herself and giving the most forgiving smile she could manage to muster. She didn't believe a word of it—well, other than that his father demanded the apology.

However, as he continued, Marie wondered if she should give a little more trust to his words. He sounded sincere, and surely he wouldn't go through so much trouble if it was just because of his father. Cyrus could have just apologized and left it at that.

To her surprise, his self-shaming actually caused her to chuckle. She certainly hadn't been expecting that! And laughing was probably disrespectful, but it wasn't like she could take it back anymore.

Well, maybe she could. "I'm sorry for laughing, but you aren't a bull-headed, unrefined jerk." Marie paused, wondering if she should try a different angle of approach. Her true job was to appeal to him, not his father. Somehow she connected the two to be together—and while she did have to please his father when she was around him, Marie was starting to realize that maybe Cyrus was more important.

She had assumed before that if she pleased Micah, he would make Cyrus agree to the marriage. The issue was that to please Micah, she had to please Cyrus. And Cyrus seemed to hate Micah. But if she could get Cyrus to actually like her... well, she might be able to survive the whole ordeal.

Lowering her voice, Marie lightly added, "Don't tell anyone I said this, but if we're completely honest here, I'm pretty sure your father is the bull-headed, unrefined jerk. He is the one who kept this a secret from you. Your reaction, while not what I was hoping for, was completely understandable." It definitely hurt though, but she wasn't going to mention that.

Zero

Cyrus cracked a big grin as Marie chuckled at his assessment of himself. It was probably the most genuine display he'd witnessed so far from her. How was he supposed to marry someone when her every action and emotion was staged? Damn nobles and their twisted idea of propriety. Honestly he wasn't sure anybody liked anybody else, because nobody knew anybody else. They knew masks put on for show, and nothing more.

When his reaction to meeting her was brought up he couldn't help but wince a bit. "Yeah, I am sorry about that. It wasn't anything against you, you've been absolutely perfect. Which is kind of the problem for me." He sighed and ran his hand through his hair again. "Look, you're totally welcome to laugh at me - don't apologize. I laugh at myself all the time. This - whatever it is, this act you're putting on, fine, with my father I get it, believe me I get it, but..."

He shrugged and made a dismissive gesture with his hand. "Just throw it away. If I'm going to be forced to get married - fine, but I want to marry a real person, not a doll that's just there to look pretty for me. If I'm going to marry you, then I want to marry you, not Lady Marie Wakefield. Does that make any sense at all?" The expression on his face suggested he wasn't entirely sure he was making sense to anyone, including himself.

zozee9

Marie smiled hesitantly at Cyrus' grin. It looked like she had appealed to him... and from her experience so far, he wasn't the kind of person that hid his emotions. If he acted happy, he probably was happy. She realized, slowly, that that probably would make her job a lot easier. She wouldn't have to guess how he felt.

But even still, she couldn't marry someone with no manners. Micah wanted her to tame Cyrus a little, from her understanding, and it wouldn't look good for her family if her husband was an uncontrollable mess. She felt that Cyrus was probably pretty good at faking standard nobility customs when his father wasn't around, but decided it would be good to check.

"Well, alright," Marie replied slowly. This wasn't what she was used to doing. "But let's make an agreement: I'll do my best to not just be a doll—thank you for calling me pretty—but you have to do your best to at least pretend to be happy around your father. I'm pretty sure he'll smite me if I don't make you conform the way he wants." She paused, and then added, "And please, I know this isn't my place to speak, while I want to marry you as well, at least try to follow the unwritten rules of nobility when we're in public?" Marie glanced down sheepishly. That truly wasn't her place to speak.

Zero

Cyrus couldn't help but make a face at her insistence that he follow the "unwritten rules of nobility" - at least in public. Almost as cringe-worthy was the idea of pretending to be happy around his father. Nobody tended to make him less happy than his father. Well, maybe Gabriel when his baby brother was on a self-righteous streak.

"I know how to behave when I have to, Lady Marie. Trust me, my father made me get a proper gentleman's education. I just hate it. It's nothing but posturing and a big heaping pile of fake bullsh-" Cyrus bit his tongue and gave her a sideways glance, figuring cursing in front of her would only get him scolded some more. The dark haired man heaved a great sigh and ran his fingers through his hair again. "I promise to be on my best behavior in public and around company, but here at home doesn't count. Unless father's there. Agreed?"

If he was going to have to marry this woman and spend the rest of his life with her they would have to compromise. At least she was easy on the eyes, his father could have done worse as far as appearances went, that was for sure. From what he'd seen so far Marie wasn't a stuck-up bitch either. Prim and proper, sure, but not unbearably snobby like Evelyn. He hated his half-sister. Lillian was a delight though. He adored her and got in trouble for "corrupting" her with his bad behavior.

zozee9

Marie could tell that Cyrus was not content with her demands but, surprisingly, he didn't flat out deny them. His explaining that he knew how to act did make her feel even more embarrassed for mentioning it, but she felt it was worth it. In fact, there was a small part of her that enjoyed this negotiating. Suddenly, Lillian's morning comments about playing Cyrus's game no longer felt unbelievable.

While she still certainly did not like Cyrus, not even truly as a person, she was starting to understand him. In a way, he was the type of noble she hated. He didn't care about his family, presenting himself like a gentleman, or even being kind to others. But, at the same time, she had respect for him. He wasn't a noble who was ignorant, but rather one who didn't enjoy the rules of high society. He found them worthless. And, in all honesty, so did she. The difference between them is that she had to follow the rules and he did not. For the first time since arriving, Marie realized that most of her dislike for Cyrus was not pure dislike, but rather jealousy.

Nonetheless, he was going to have to start acting respectable if they were to be married. And, thankfully, it seemed like he would be willing to do so. All she had to do was be herself... It seemed like such a big command. He was to be more like her, and her more like him.

The fact that she could be herself around Cyrus and have him agree to her demands relieved her of much stress. It wasn't like a switch had been flipped that would suddenly allow her to be perfectly herself, but she unquestionably felt much more comfortable.

Marie's lips formed into a playful smirk, one that unintentionally a little flirty. "Not quite. I also find it unbelievably important to demand that during my stay here—now, and in the future—as much as my free time as possible to be filled with Lady Lillian. That is, of course, when I am not with you."