Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Night, Its Call

Started by Lion, December 23, 2013, 05:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Rook didn't know if he could say anything to console her.  Her mind was her own and so was her grief.  But he could see the regret that lay in her eyes and all he could think to do was crawl toward her and embrace her.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

She hadn't deserved so much kindness from the old woman. Roxanne hadn't appreciated it, hadn't even wanted it. That she'd needed it didn't matter. Just like now she didn't deserve Rook's sympathy or comfort. The huntress didn't deserve it, but she buried her face against his chest and wept softly anyway. It felt wrong to cling to him, but she needed to.

Lion

Rook didn't know if it was his place to comfort her. But he couldn't leave her alone.  Dirk, too, looked downcast, as the skies them grew wet with gentle rain.   Rook leaned his body over hers, in an effort to shield her from the rain.  And he kissed at her eyes, reaching a hand to wipe them away.  But soon it was hard to tell which were from her eyes, and which were from the sky.

"Let's get out of the rain," he said gently and moved to pluck her from the ground.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

Roxanne struggled to her feet numbly, refusing to be supported, carried, or coddled. Although she didn't seem entirely present in the situation. For instance, though she nodded her agreement to get out of the rain, the huntress didn't seem to really notice it, save for the slight shiver that began as the cold droplets soaked her borrowed dress.

"How's your leg?" She managed to ask, her eyes focused on some unknown point in the distance so as not to have to look at the grave or Rook.

Lion

"My leg will be all right," Rook said, hoping to reassure her.  He led them onward through the trees, and he knew Dirk was not far behind.  He had not forgotten about the gryphon, and he was thankful for his companionship.  He'd have to remind himself later to do something nice for him.  There was a small cave that lingered close by, an outlet carved out by the side of a small hill where the land fell downward, and the sound of water could be heard close by.

"My leg has a few aches in it," he said, just as a form of distracting conversation.  "Just a few kinks in it of an old hunter.  Gettin' older with every step."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Roxanne nodded numbly, it was impossible to really say if she was reassured or not as she followed Rook deeper into the forest, almost seeming to be mentally checked out. Dirk followed, head held low and obviously more than a little subdued, not only by the death of Grams, but the rain as well. Roxanne thought it was rather fitting weather, somber and grey, like her mood.

She was so wrapped up in her own thoughts by the time they reached the small cave that the sound of Rook's voice actually made her jump slightly. Her blue-grey eyes turned to him, they were no longer filled with tears, but they certainly lacked the steely vigor they had held a couple days ago.

"Getting you warm and dry will help, and resting." Her wrist was throbbing painfully, but she didn't complain, until that moment she had almost forgotten that she was injured.

Lion

To see that lifeless look in her made Rook's stomach grow cold.  They were strangers not that long ago.  And perhaps that was it, strangers clinging to each other for survival.  Rook couldn't be so sure it was something so moot.  They had survived much together, true, yet she was his companion.  At least for the time being, and there he would remain until their paths diverged.

He helped start a small fire, though his hands were wet and had trouble remaining steady.  Debris that managed to stay dry within the cave burned slowly and lowly as a small flame took.  No words came still, and he wasn't sure if undressing her would be of any help.  She seemed so empty now, and he was at a loss.

"Roxanne," he whispered, waving a hand before her.  "Roxanne, you'll freeze."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Roxanne was still working through a daze, her body on autopilot as they started a small fire. The rain had soaked everything and ensured that they would not manage a larger flame. That might be for the best anyway. They needed to not attract attention to themselves right now, who knew if those bandits were still out there. How far had they even moved? She honestly didn't know.

Dirk had taken up a protective position at the front of their small hiding place, or as protective as laying there could be perceived to be. The young gryphon was surprisingly subdued, she rarely saw him like this. He couldn't even be bothered to barb at Rook. That was almost worrisome to her, as much as she could be worried given her current emotional turmoil.

It was Rook's voice, a soft whisper, and his hand moving back and forth in front of her face that caused Roxanne to blink back to reality. They were both soaked from the rain, and she was shivering, but hadn't even realized it until now. Would be nice to be back in that cabin with the furs and hearth, like the night they met - just two days ago. That seemed a long time ago somehow. Funny how one's sense of time could be so warped.

"I'm sorry. We should have left for Ketra first thing this morning." Her voice was quiet and she kept her eyes lowered to the fire. Rook could be gone, on his way, and about his life if they had only left right away. She wouldn't have had to see her old home ransacked and the people she had known so well so long ago killed and taken. She could only somewhat amend one of those issues. "We'll leave first thing in the morning, get you to Ketra, like we planned."

Lion

He knew that it was inevitable that they would be parted.  Rook had no emotional or blood connection to this girl.  They had been travelers passing through the night, and this was where their journey together had taken them.  He mulled such thoughts over in silence, his hands working to pry her wet clothing off.  His eyes were somber however, and when he was finished, he sat, bare, beside her.

"If I go to Ketra," he murmured, peering at her over his shoulder.  "What will you do?  Where will you go?"  He was curious, but mostly he asked out of fear.  That she might turn her apathy into anger and go after the men that attacked her village...that killed the people she knew.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

There was no argument as Rook began peeling the soaked fabrics from her body, though her movements were stiff with cold as Roxanne helped him undress her. She was quiet for a few moments as they sat naked beside one another, contemplating the question.

"If you go to Ketra? Where else would you go? You have no reason to stay here, and that thing is still out there somewhere hunting you." For a short while she had almost forgotten that beast that had chased them into the river and then into town.

Lion

He noticed she did not answer the question.  Perhaps she wouldn't yet.  They had no obligation to each other, for how bonded could two people be over the course of two days.  Struggling by circumstance, bruised and beaten by chance..

"It its," he said pointedly.  "But much has happened in the aftermath of such plans.  I'm not saying I ought to stay with you...but...I'd be lying if I said I didn't care."  He frowned a bit.  "And you didn't answer my question.  What will you do?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Roxanne's eyes narrowed softly. Once Rook was gone she didn't see why he should concern himself with what went on in her life or where she went. Because he cared? Heh. That hardly seemed logical. When you were supposed to leave the point was not to let yourself care.

"I suppose I will go home. What else would I do?" Her eyes had gone back to watching the fire and not looking at him. The town was gone, the people dead or taken. There was nothing there for her. Not that there was much for her in her cabin either. She could try to find survivors, but her wrist was broken. Even if she found the bandits how could she help anyone?

Lion

Rook couldn't say he knew what he was after.  She was right, there was nothing for him here.  For the time being however, he would make the most of it.

He offered his hand to her, noticing her wrist a little out of sorts.  "Let me take a look at that, yes?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Roxanne was sure she knew what she was after. Peace. Everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong since Rook had shown up. It wouldn't be fair to blame him for any of it, but it was still tempting to. She could delude herself into thinking that everything would go back to normal if Rook would just go away and take his damned cursed beast with him.

Of course nothing would ever be "normal" - it never had to begin with. She just didn't want to think about it.

She extended her arm, laying her wrapped wrist in his hand. The bindings had come a bit loose during their mad dash from the burning village, and just moving it had caused her to flinch slightly, but Roxanne bit her lip and refused to cry about how helpless she felt.

Lion

Rook tended to her arm, carefully fixing the bandages and readjusting the splints.  Her silence was all he needed to confirm his thoughts.  "I'll go," he said quietly.  "Come morning, I'll leave you and Dirk."  He looked at her for a moment.  "I can get to Ketra on my own.  It's all right."

He offered a smile.  But it was half-hearted.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Of course he would go. Roxanne scowled as he tended to her wrist. "Your leg is still hurt, what if that thing comes back for you?"

He couldn't outrun it in his condition. She wasn't sure Rook could outrun it in perfect shape, but he definitely couldn't with a bum leg. Why she should care if he got caught, mauled, and eaten was another story. "There are healers in Ketra that I should see about my wrist. There is no point in separating if we're going to the same place."

Lion

She was so keen to be away from him, he figured why prolong it?  Were they really headed in the same direction or was it just an excuse to keep from having to say goodbye so soon?

"And if we get pursued on our way to Ketra, we'll both be eaten, yes?" he said, flicking his eyes back up to hers.  He tightened the last bandage. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Dirk helped us escape the beast twice." Well Dirk had been helping her, but had also helped Rook by sheer proximity. "I didn't know you were quite that eager to be rid of us, but fine. We'll find our own way."

She pulled her hand back, not caring if she messed up his work slightly as she turned her back on him and laid down, curling up as much as she could. It was easy to pretend she didn't care, hell, Roxanne had spent most of her life learning to "not care" - sometimes it worked...sometimes it didn't.

Lion

At that Rook frowned.  "You so eager to be rid of me," he said softly, watching her turn in what appeared to be apathy.  He sighed and shook his head, looking across to Dirk.  "Is she always like this?"

[Tiny post D:]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

The gryphon shifted his gaze to Roxanne for a moment before tilting his head to look back at Rook, his feathers ruffling momentarily as he huffed softly. "Yes. Around humans."