Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood in the Snow [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, January 24, 2014, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Basket

"Ladies first," Carlyle replied. "I'm sure your life is much more exciting than that of a chemist. Besides, you know why we are out here, but why are you? We're just dying to know."

EmberWishes

'My name is Sapphire,' she said slowly, debating how much to say. She didn't trust people in general enough to talk to them, so she felt extremely defensive. 'I don't do much, really. I'm here because it's quiet, and I like the cold. My favourite colour is white,' she said, mimicking Teidra's introduction, 'Because it's the colour of snow and lightning, two things I like.' She looked to Carlyle, eager to take the spotlight off of her. 'Now, please, I'd just love to hear what your life is like.'

Wicked Basket

"You flatter me," Carlyle said in response to Sapphire's comment.

"Now, let's see. My name is Carlyle. I am from Connlaoth where I work mainly as a chemist, but do some other scientific work and dabble in enchantments in my spare time. I don't particularly have a favorite color, and......That's about it. I don't really do much."

Rhindeer

Teidra couldn't help but laugh, amused that they had both copied her favorite color deal--which she had only said because she felt put on the spot and needed some filler! Realizing, however, that laughter might be rude, she covered her mouth to cut off the sound and cleared her throat.

"Sorry. Ah! Nice to meet you both. And I bet that's untrue, that you don't do much! It's just hard to think of things off the top of your head..." She tilted her head and looked at Carlyle. "Like, what is 'Connlaoth'? I've heard it mentioned, but, ah, I'm afraid I don't know much about it."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

"I have had my fair share of adventures," Carlyle mused. "Anyway, Connlaoth is a country located in a big valley. It's very windy all the time, and use of magic is prohibited. All Connlaothian men must serve in the military for a time. The people in Connlaoth are a very hardy bunch that do everything by hand and don't believe in using magic as a shortcut, it is viewed as laziness."

Carlyle thought for a moment and then shrugged.

"I think that's just about everything."

Rhindeer

Teidra's brow crinkled at his description. "That seems...strange," she said, ears forward. "Magic is hardly a shortcut. It can be really difficult to do! And save lives, even."

She frowned. "Not that I have any. It just seems like a nice thing to have, and life is hard enough that I can't say I'd say no to a shortcut! That's just silly."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

"It is rather silly," Carlyle agreed. "That's why I practice magic in secret. It opens up so many possibilities. I think they're just afraid of what they don't understand."

Rhindeer

"Why do you go there if they don't like you?" Teidra asked, head tilted. "I mean...that seems safer...right? What even happens if they catch you?"

Wicked Basket

Carlyle shrugged.

"It's my home. All of my stuff is there. My lab, my research, everything. If I get caught, I have a good friend that will protect me. Not to mention that I'm no slouch when push comes to shove. What about you? What's your home like?"

Rhindeer

"It's, well..." Teidra laughed and motioned around them. "It's a lot like this! This is my home. Er, I mean, this isn't my home, obviously," she said with a gesture that encompassed the little underground home. "But out there? That's where I live."

She leaned her arms on the table and tapped her chin. "But you probably mean like...my home, not the literal tundra, huh? Oh, well, that's...hm. My people are mostly travelers. We follow the herds we hunt so we kinda live all over, so my home is all over! And my people are like me, and we live in tents and..." She pursed her lips, then shrugged and smiled.

"Yeah!"

Wicked Basket

Carlyle hung on every word, a victim of his desire for knowledge.

"A nomadic people," he said nodding his head. "That is very interesting. Much more exciting than my home, especially with the war going on."

Rhindeer

"War?" Teidra repeated, expression sobering.

Wicked Basket

"Oh, right. You're not from around here," Carlyle said. "There is a civil war going on in Connlaoth. It's the Grand Duke and his forces against mages. After the murder of the last Grand Duke at the hands of a mage, all mages are being locked up in death camps. Those who have not been captured are fighting back. I do not do any fighting myself, but I help the mages whenever I can."

Rhindeer

Teidra's eyebrows climbed as she fixed him with an incredulous, unblinking look.

"And, uh...you call that place your home? And like living there? Even though you're a mage and if they caught you, they'd put you in a--what did you call it? A death camp?"

Wicked Basket

Carlyle couldn't help but chuckle. She did have a point.

"It wasn't always the hell on earth that it is now. It was a very nice place to live before the war happened. I guess that's what's keeping me there. Memories of what it was like before the war."

Carlyle suddenly found himself struck with a small bout of nostalgia. He remembered back to when he didn't have to be as secretive as he was now, and when military personnel seeking healing potions and salves weren't his most common customers.

Codestar7

Piquano lingered under the bed, listening intently at the conversation around him.
He had stumbled across the girl named Sapphire while wandering. The merman had become stuck in the recent overload of snow. When the girl left, he snuck to the location of the door, and entered. He had lounged on the bed, and had nearly fallen asleep when he heard conversation above. He quickly hid under the bed, and 3 warmly dressed people, one a tiger-girl hybrid, enter the cabin. He concealed himself in the shadows, letting a sneaker, rebellious version of himself.

He was curious as to what this plant was. He had noticed a strange plant in the cabin, but it had disappeared from its spot. Obviously they all wanted this healing plant. Piquano wanted nothing of the sort. He eavesdropped on the conversation of the civil war in Connlaoth - he was the but years ago, and no such event raged. Still, it was possible - war erupting at any moment.

This conversation was intriguing. The girl Sapphire had a look of discomfort. The merman was curious as to where this would go.

Rhindeer

Teidra shook her head, completely perplexed. "I...I can't say I understand that," she said at last, scratching at an ear. "But it also sounds like our people are very different. Mine move. We never stay in one place long."

She picked at some of the food on the table. "I can't really wrap my mind around the idea of getting attached to a place. But I suppose that's because we've never stayed anywhere long enough for that to happen--oh.'

Her ears went up suddenly and she tensed, a worried look crossing her face.

"Do you think this storm will last long?"

Wicked Basket

"Hard to say," Carlyle replied scratching his chin. "Storms like this could last anywhere between a few hours and several days. Possibly even a week."

Carlyle could see the worried expression on the poor girl's face and put two and two together.

"You're afraid that they'll leave without you."

Rhindeer

Up to a week? If Teidra's skin hadn't already been stark white, she would have paled. As it was, her ears slowly lowered, her shoulders hunching. A week was bad. But even a couple days were bad. The hunting hadn't been good lately, and they had been talking about leaving--they just hadn't said where.

And though the storm was bad, storms didn't always ground them. They often had to move, because if they stayed, they could starve.

Lowering her eyes to the table as his question hit the nail on the head, Teidra only nodded numbly. She didn't want to admit she was afraid of being left, but...they might not have a choice.

Wicked Basket

Carlyle couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor girl. She was in danger of being left behind and possibly never seeing her family again. Carlyle went and sat down next to her.

"I'll tell you," he began softly. "After this storm is over, I'll walk you home. If they left without you, I'll help you track them down. I am a mage, you know. I know a trick or two that could help us find them. What do you say?"