Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Paint by Numbers

Started by visualspice, January 30, 2014, 06:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Hearing her brother's doubts did nothing to quell her own.
"But we're already nearly there, Richter,"s he whispered, her voice- perhaps not reaching his ears against the winds. But she leaned forward and found a way to touch him lightly. "But we must be strong. You said so yourself- this is a way for us to get answers. So we must be brave."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Her words resonated within him more than she could know.  Richter nodded to her and soon found his resolve.  Then slapped the reins down on the horse and the carriage lurched forward once more.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Ania returned back to fretting in the carriage. But a sense of awareness washed over her. Yes, they weren't alone- and the twins needed one another now more than they had ever before. So her blue eyes searched outside the carriage as her hands clutched her skirts, anxiously hoping the storm could hold out until they made it to the inn.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

When it did, Richter slowed the carriage to a halt and he gave a shuddering breath.  He stepped from the buckboard with mild assurance and opened the door for his sister, helping her step out.  "I suppose there's no turning back now," he said, giving her a forced smile, but it quickly faded.  He never could pretend much with her.  "Let's go."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Ania took his hand and moved to press herself closely against his side.
"I'm afraid,"s he whispered, her voice nearly lost to the winds. "What if he doesn't like us?"
Could their real father have them killed for something so petty?

Lion

Richter had given that some thought at the time and he put his hands on hers.  "We'll be okay.  If he doesn't like us...then it's likely he can forget all about us and we can go back to the farm like nothing at all happened," he whispered back to her.  He smiled and leaned in to kiss her cheek.  "Let's just see this through.  There are worse things that could happen."

The inn was quiet when they stepped inside, and the few patrons inside paid them little heed as Richter stepped through with Ania on his arm.  The bartender gave them a small nod, mostly at Richter as they stepped through.  He left her side momentarily, stepping up to the bar, asking about a man fitting the description in the letter - sans the letter of course - and the bartended pointed to a backroom just around the corner.

Richter stepped through toward the indicated room, pulling Ania behind him and he stepped toward the closed door.  Cigar smoke filled the air, as he gently knocked on it and opened it slowly.  Behind it sat a lone man, with a guardsman at his back and a valet refilling his whiskey glass.  "Are you...Sir Argus Halbrook?" Richter asked tentatively as he eyed the graying man behind the table.

"Who wants to know?" he asked, his eyes shaded with exhaustion and drink.

"I received your letter..." Richter said, pulling it from his coat pocket.

His eye widened and he sat straighter.  "Please...come in.  Be seated, Master Lavier...and... Mademoiselle Lavier."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

OOC: Madame means he's married XD so it'd be Mademoiselle Lavier X3

-------

Ania's heart fluttered, as it always did when her brother kissed her cheek. They had been close, closer to each other than to anyone else in the world- for most of their lives they had grown up nary apart, and in a life full of awkward misfortunes, they were stead fast in their loyalty and devotion to the other.  Though having been the only man in her life worth seeking, she always held her brother on a pedestal above all other men, and now that he was taking the lead, she followed blindly, and did the best she could not to choke and cough on the cigar smoke that filled the room,-
but she did.

Once her throat was cleared, she curtsied rigidly before the gentleman but was too afraid to speak just yet and found herself keeping her eyes averted, too afraid to even look at him.

Lion

[D: I didn't know!  But fixed it! xD thanks.]

Richter unleashed a steady breath, one he knew Sir Argus noted.  He viewed the man across from him as he helped Ania into a wooden chair that he wasn't an old man, but he appeared older by the wrinkles around his eyes and mouth.  He was grizzled and his hair was graying at the temples though much of it still remained dark upon his scalp and his eyes were alert, though they seemed...exhausted.  Richter had no doubt that the man was a professional, in whatever his endeavors led him to do, and he was loyal....undoubtedly loyal.

Richter could feel his heart pounding heavily inside him and his stomach knotting in a growing sense of dread.  He did as best he could to keep his face from showing it and it was apparent in the knight that the young man was trying to keep himself together.  No doubt this requested meeting came as a shock to everyone.

"Thank you, sir," Richter said with a bow of his head as he took a seat beside his sister.  "I came as soon as I received your letter.  I...I wasn't sure what to make of it frankly, but I never expected to hear something like this in all my days.  I hope you understand my initial hesitation."

Sir Argus looked up at him with those alert eyes and just a twinkle of a smile seemed to touch them.  He gave them a nod and then looked up at valet.  "Please, forgive my rudeness.  Have some food and drink.  It's the least I can offer you, in the hopes that you'll feel more comfortable."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Ania, now seated, looked from Sir Argus to her brother, and observed them both in silence. She didn't assume much, but she could read into their body language- for she had a knack for such thing s and was elated when the conversation started with food.
"Yes, a drink would be lovely." Though she was uncertain if she could eat anything, for the knots in her belly were severe and tight. But her mouth was parched. Yes,a drink would be acceptable, and once it was served, she gave it a few dainty sips and listened in intent silence.

Lion

Richter stared at his wine with a blank look for a time before glancing at the man across the table.  Sir Argus nodded to him and Richter sniffed the drink before he took a sip.  He let the drink relax his bones for the moment, lest his nerves get the better of him.  And then he looked up at Sir Argus, squaring his resolving, and knowing they could scarcely skirt around the heart of the matter for longer than necessary.

"How did you find us?"

Argus took a breath and held his own glass tightly in hand.  "I always knew where you were.  I've never felt it prudent to make my presence known until now, however.  But-"

"Why?  We were content with our lives there on the farm.  Why now?"

Argus was struck, silent, and he didn't know what to say.  "I knew it was only a matter of time before the truth caught up to me, and to you, and your sister.  But in years before...it wouldn't have done for anyone in such a prominent position to openly acknowledge any illegitimate heirs to the Duchy of Hellvion.  But I knew my Lord would not have wanted me to keep it from you for the rest of your life."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Ania remained quiet, sipping gingerly at her offered drink, but still feeling too queasy and anxious over this situation to properly enjoy any of these amenities. It just all seemed so strange,a nd this man before them made her nervous, even if had no malicious air about him.

"But even with us knowing.." she said softly, lifting her blue gaze from her cup. "What does this mean for us?"

Lion

Argus' eyes were old, tired and haggard and weighed down with the secret he carried.  He considered Ania's question, stewing in silence as he turned his glass over in hand.  He then looked back at the twins.  They looked so much like their father...  it was such a shame.

"You have the right to know," he said at last.  "You have every right to claim your birth right for yourselves.  I risked everything to come here.  If you would like...I can take you back with me."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Ania felt fear clutch her heart. Her eyes were wide as she shook her head, but said nothing as she turned to her brother.
"But how could we? If what you are telling us is true... I just... " And the right words failed to come out from her lips.

Lion

Richter shared Ania's shock, and he felt his face burn in anger.  He wanted to take his drink and throw it at the knight's face, that he even dare come here and tell them this.  "What are you playing at?" he growled suddenly.  "Who really sent you?  You would come all this way to tear our lives apart!  We were perfectly happy until you showed up."

Sir Argus stood when Richter did and he set his hands down on the table.  He looked like he could snap Richter's neck in two if it so pleased him.  But the pain in his eyes was clearly evident.  "I am telling you the truth!  I have risked more than my life in coming here.  But I made an oath to my lord and I intend to carry it out.  You do not have to come with me...but...but you had a right to know."

And with that the older man sat down again, and took another swig of his drink.

Richter's expression sobered and he looked at his sister.  Then his eyes peered back up to Halbrook.  "When can we leave?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Ania kept her eyes dropped, focusing them on the table as thousands of thoughts swarmed her head. If this was true, she wasn't sure she wanted to meet their father. As Richter pointed out- their lives were perfectly fine until now. But knowing this truth...
What benefit could it cause anyone? She felt it was best left unknown, for the civil war on the country but a lot of pressure on nobility, and she did not want to be any part of that.

Lion

Richter  felt sudden tension in the room and he looked across to Ania.  "Is something the matter?" he asked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Her blue eyes looked up at him, frightened, nervous, before she quickly dropped her gaze and shook her head.
Why try to fight this? She had a feeling the results to ignore it would.do.even more harm to them.both now since they had that knowledge.

Lion

"You have a say sister," Richter nodded.  "Speak.  Please."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

She only shook her head again, too nervous and too shy to reveal her thoughts before the stranger. If it was just Richter, she would tell all but...
She had no idea if she could trust such fear to this man, despite what he risked to give them this advice.

"I.. I'm just still in shock," she half whispered, half muttered as she shifted uneasily on the chair. "It's just a lot to take in."

Lion

Richter nodded at her statement, and all the truth it contained.  It was a lot to take in at a time like this.  And for this stranger to come all the way over here..., if he did not come in treachery and deceit, it only meant there was so much more to take in at the same time.  "It is quite a lot," he said, looking up at Sir Argus.

The older man made a loud 'hah!" but his expression remained lined with the gravity of his offer.  "I understand," he said.  "If you wish, I can leave now.  And everything I said never has to leave this room.  I know it's a lot to take in."

At that Richter paled and lunged up from his seat.  He moved toward his sister and put an arm around her.  "No!" he said suddenly, as if a child facing the confiscation of his favored toy.  He fixed his collar and squared his shoulders.  "No...  We-we don't want that.  We just...need a little time, to think about it."

Argus grew quiet and stood from his own chair.  "Very well," he said and bowed his head.  "I will be in town until late this evening.  You have until then to give me your answer.  If you do not come, then I will know.  And it will be as if I never arrived.  Is that fair?"

Richter was about to protest, but bit down on his tongue.  Instead he nodded to him and turned to Ania.  "Let's go home, sister," he said and gave her a small flicker of a grin.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: