Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

'Dekka'-dence and Excess (M)

Started by visualspice, February 01, 2014, 10:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Dekka smirked, the playful air about him not lost, despite what they had been through at the ball.
"I didn't think so either." He kept his eyes on her for a moment, but didn't cross the room.
"I heard about your husband, going North."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"Business," was her own only reply.  She was still trying to gauge him and what he was thinking, somehow, as if that might better prepare her...

"Dekka," she said at last.  "Before you say anything, I wanted to say I was sorry.  I was...cruel to you at the ball.  I should have been kinder."  She still thought of those words -- of what she had said and how she had said them...and it did seem a terrible thing...  She paused, then, and her voice and expression both darkened a bit.  "But if you ever grab me like that again, I'll use something much sharper to drive you off."  Something similar might have been said in play, once upon a time, but there was nothing playful in her tone; she meant it, and she wanted him to know that she did, because she had not appreciated being shaken around like a rag doll...

visualspice

Dekka listened to her words with a nod, digesting every little bit and piece before flashing her a smile that didn't reach his eyes.
"You won't have to worry about having me grab you again," he told her coyly, and moved away from her to let his eyes idly trace around all of the rich trinkets about the room.
Oh the things he could steal...

"So why is your sister here? To make you join  her in wallowing over her own miseries? Surely she realizes her suffering is nothing compared to yours?" And though he directed all of this to the Grand Duchess, his eyes were on anything but.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

It was a shame that Dekka's eyes were elsewhere; he would miss the way her expression crumpled in the wake of his comment about her suffering.  It was quickly replaced with a more guarded look as she swept across the room.  Much as she had done with Valia a moment ago, she positioned herself so that Dekka, should he look at her, would be unable to read her expression with her back to him and her head bowed over her dresser.  "Did you want something, Dekka?  Or did you just come here to mock me?"  For that was what she had taken his words to be.

Though, perhaps, he could read the disappointment in her voice...

As she spoke, she was carefully removing a small jewelry box from the top dresser drawer.  Inside, glittered the trinkets that symbolized their relationship: buttons, a few pieces of jewelry, a small, neatly-folded swath of cloth, a few folded letters...  The ring he had thrown back at her had been placed inside as well.  Her hand reached out to brush against a ruby, but she stopped it before making contact.  Instead, she slammed the jewelry box closed and turned, offering it to the thief.

"I assume you're here for these."

visualspice

Dekka turned when she approached him, and he stared at her, lips flat and his expression a bit unreadable before his green eyes lowered to the box in her hand.
"What's this?"

Ivory

Kathryn's eyes went down to the box, looking down at the engraved design, steeling herself visibly before lifting her eyes back up to Dekka.

"I know most of it probably isn't valuable to you, but, some of the jewelry..."  She frowned at him, looking expectant.  "Why else would you come back?"

visualspice

Dekka made a face.
"Jewelry? You think I came back for jewelry?"
He had, in fact, considered asking for the ring and necklace back but...
Even he didn't want to deal with those memories either. Or ones of her.
Though in truth, he figured she didn't have the necklace, or any other thing of real value to him. Sure the palace was full of things- but anything he could take.
Just not the thing he truly wanted.

His green eyes studied her face, and saw the way she looked so worn in this light.
"You've really grown up, Kathryn."
From playing pretend in the mountains, now to living it. He knew the politics and masks nobles wore, and his gaze and face became hardened for it, the normal playfulness fading away as he took her in.

"But I didn't come here for jewels. I came here for you."

Ivory

Kathryn's frown took on a different light, becoming less stubborn and more sad as he continued to speak.  Her eyes fell back to the carpet, making her look sad indeed.

She supposed she had grown up.  But what choice did she have?  And the way he said it...  She agreed -- that fanciful, naive girl she had been was gone, and she would never return.

Just as quickly, she looked up, her surprise apparent.  "For me?"

The way she said it...  There was an undercurrent of fear -- not of him, but of what it could mean...because those words might herald her whole world crashing down on her again...

visualspice

Dekka saw her look and cut his eyes away, blinking back any emotion that was surfacing as he cleared his throat.
"Yes, you think I came here to visit with the Grand Duke?" He turned to her, the suave grin he always wore returning, but his eyes seemed hollow.
"I find the Grand Duchess much more interesting, and her company- much more adequate to my needs."

Ivory

Kathryn stared at him.  This conversation was getting dangerously close to being similar to the one that had erupted in an argument at the ball...  She didn't want to argue with him.  She wasn't sure what she wanted from him, really, but an argument was not it.

Finally, she looked away and retreated a bit from him.  The small box was set on an end table, and the Grand Duchess herself settled down into an armchair.  She glanced towards the empty chair set to her left, inviting him wordlessly to sit, if he liked.

"You look well, Dekka.  I'm glad.  I used to wonder if you'd been caught and killed...but, then, I thought, I would have heard.  You're too well-known for your death to have gone unnoticed."

visualspice

Dekka was careful with his words and even more careful with his mannerisms. He was foolish to come here, he knew that- but he didn't want to end it like that- even if this was a final goodbye.

"Do you really think they could kill me so easily? You know that's why I vanished.... had I stayed anywhere near the capital I would have been hung on sight. Things were too crazy, and even someone as stealthy as myself has his limits."

He paused as he thought it over.
"I did get your letters." Even if he never wrote.
"They were... destroyed, but I made a copy."
It was a lie- Evangeline made a copy.... but still. She didn't have to know about that.

Ivory

Kathryn frowned up at him, looking visibly torn between two choices: to pursue the opening he had left her, or to carry on, as though they barely knew one another at all...

The first option would leave her vulnerable, but the second...  Yes, he had (in her mind) wronged her...but, once upon a time, Dekka had been the only one to truly know her, more-so than her husband, certainly, and even more-so than her sister.  Once upon a time, she had trusted him with her secrets...and, he had never let her down.  Except...when he left...

"Why didn't you write back?" she asked, having made up her mind at last.  She didn't hold it against him -- fleeing, that is.  That was something she understood.  But to leave her without a word...  "I waited for you.  And I kept writing...  In case you came back..."

visualspice

Dekka grew quiet, his green eyes studying her for a long while before he informed her, "I did write back."

Ivory

The look of surprise on Kathryn's face would have been impossible for him to miss.  She stared at him, glanced at the box that held everything she had ever received from him, then looked to him again.  "No," she breathed out.  "You didn't."

It wasn't that she thought he was lying... 

"I looked.  Everywhere I thought it might be.  There was nothing..."

visualspice

Dekka didn't miss the look, and his smile in return was forced.
"Guess even the mail has turned to shit. Though I suppose it doesn't matter much now..." he said, turning away and scratching at the back of his neck- though it certainly made the moment more awkward.

Ivory

"The mail?"

It wasn't truly something she had considered.  Well, she had, but she had always thought if he had written her anything, he would have left it somewhere...

Her expression crumpled slightly as she considered the possibilities.  But if he had mailed it to her, where could it possibly have gone?  Who would have been bold enough to steal a letter addressed to her...and, if it were stolen, why had no one come forward with it?

In the end, would it have made a difference?  She couldn't say -- honestly, she didn't know...

"I'm sorry, Dekka.  I never thought..."  Somehow, she always imagined that if he had written her, it would have found its way to her...  She had never thought it had become lost somehow...  It would have meant the world to her, she thought, if she had known...  She studied his profile, then laughed softly, even as she brushed a tear from the corner of her eye.  "You know, it took me a long time to give up on you.  A really long time."

And when she had given up on him...she had given up on everything.

visualspice

"Yeah, well.." he continued on awkwardly, though he laughed through it and shrugged. "There wasn't just one letter..."

Ivory

Kathryn simply stared at him for a moment, then looked down at the carpet with an expression of pained confusion.

Not just one...

She could only imagine what her life might have been, sustained by Dekka's letters...  She could even imagine herself, pulling them out to read at night...

"I never saw any of them.  I thought you had just gone without a word..."

That, it seemed, was the question: what had become of the letters?  Not just one...

"Calent, perhaps..."  But he had never said anything to her...  Though, perhaps, it was why he had left for so long, because if he had known she had betrayed him...

visualspice

"Er... the letter's weren't much of anything," he reassured her. "Just to remind you.. you know.." he smiled through his teeth, but it was more like trying to cut ice. It was so forced, he turned away so tht he could more properly grit his teeth.

"I'm sure you have the war to thank for losing them." He then added with a frown.
"Where is your husband anyway? You know it's difficult to get anywhere near this palace if he's around. Guess he doesn't care much to keep his wife as protected.."

Ivory

Perhaps...

"No," she said softly.  "That's not it.  To anyone else, the palace is impenetrable.  You've just always been that good, Dekka."

And that, of course, was true...

Her sigh was soft and barely audible as she watched him.  She wished she could take it all back, now -- everything.  Or, perhaps, it might have been better had she slipped out of the room while Calent was sleeping that day...so she could go on trying not to feel anything at all...

"Are you considering robbing the palace blind in his absence?"