Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

First Time In the Light [M]

Started by visualspice, February 11, 2014, 01:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Long days of never seeing the light had Arrick Longfellow enjoying the golden rays as he lounged in the middle of the Uthlyn City Park. With the matron river to the east, and the sun rolling towards the west, life seemed perfect- even magical as his brown eyes took in the heart of the day.

It was rare for him to enjoy such a moment, but he treasured it like everything else in the world. Like his family, here he wore his heart on his sleeve, that brown eyed gaze staring off into the sunset, and even into something more. A cool breeze kissed his skin, and ruffled the grasses in which he lounged, and he watched as the river's reflection sparkled like gold.

His mother was having a good day, after being ill for months and finally was able to walk around a bit on her own; but his father...
he managed enough with a smile. It was at their insistence he get out of the house for a while, and though he protested, here he sat, enjoying the reverie of the day.

His life had been affected greatly since both his parents fell ill. He had been working along side his father in the mines when he passed out from coughing and under direct orders, was said not to return to the mines. Not that he could. THe illness did him in and he had never been the same since.

Arrick picked up both their shifts and kept working to pay the bills. They needed a big enough house to supply for all of them- He, both his parents (since now neither could work), and all four of his sisters. Though Artemis, the eldest daughter, worked just about as many hours as himself, it seemed the pair of them had turned into the parents when even his mother had gone ill, too.

Though many said his parents illness was unfortunate, it also made sense- they said they were never seen a hip apart, except when working, and now that one fell ill- and only a few weeks later, the other, it only made sense.
Arrick always smiled about that, that the love his parents had could conquer everything- and despite what pain they were in, they always had each other, and Arrick found his own heart aching for it-a nd used what strength he could to keep their family alive, to sacrifice whatever future he might have to protect his family's, in hopes perhaps, someday, his sisters could even have something better than he.

Mine work was tough, and even now he was sitting there in the grasses, and having washed but an hour ago, soot still lingered faintly across his skin. It was a quick wash- since it normally took over an hour to get all that black soot off his skin- and a lot of extra scrubbing help from his family. It was almost an event itself, and the water- always came out so nasty and black. But long ago were those days since that had been, for he had since resigned himself to the bath house, not wanting to ruin the last of their remaining bath tubs with his soot, for the other had become far too filthy to be of any use.

He gave a scratch to his nose with one dirty finger nail before resting both hands back at his sides, and kept his brown eyes onward, towards an unseen valley of dreams.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

The woman that stood in front of the large mirrors looked out of place, dressed in snug black trousers fashioned for the hard working women of Connlaoth, a light blue blouse fitted her from beautifully, and a navy bodice that made sure her curves were just right. Not that she cared about that part. Well maybe just a little. What girl didn't like to look good?

"Not that one, the other one, the one without any embroidery. Yes, yes, that'll work. Hurry."

Holly was impatient, it wasn't the servant's fault though, and she did her best not to get snippy with the woman. Especially considering they had been helping her sneak out of the house for years so she could actually live a little. Shrugging into the plain, but well-made navy half jacket, her ensemble was complete. It really wasn't a great disguise, but it was better than nothing. The clothes were finely made, but out of wool, not anything particularly expensive, and they had been stripped of all embroidery and ornamentation.

Her red-gold hair was tied back in a long braid with a dark blue ribbon woven into the fine tresses, and tied in a small bow near the bottom. Giving herself a once over in the tall standing mirror in the corner of her room, she sighed softly in dissatisfaction. She still didn't look like a particularly poor person, while the clothes were simple; they were obviously not greatly worn-in or worn-out. At least she didn't look like a rich merchant's daughter. More like a modestly successful craftswoman. It would have to do.

Throwing her satchel over her shoulder, she threw open her bedroom window and climbed out. This window actually faced the next building, which made for a horrid view, but was spectacular for sneaking out of, as she could use the stone surface to climb down into the alley between buildings and waltz right onto the street without getting any suspicious looks. Usually.

It was just after noon when she found a bench in the park, curling her legs underneath her; Holly pulled her leather-bound sketchbook and charcoal pencils from her satchel and began drawing. There were pages and pages filled with all sorts of things. Birds, cats, dogs, statues, buildings, landscapes – whatever she saw that interested her, was brought to life on the paper beneath her fingers. First she drew a shop that she saw, then an old woman selling flowers. They were good drawings, but not quite what she wanted.

Deep blue eyes settled on him as they scanned the park for a new target. He was so tall, and the expression on his face and in his eyes. At such a distance it was hard to truly take in and appreciate every complex nuisance of his posture and countenance, but she knew immediately that she needed to draw him. The next couple hours Holly engrossed herself in capturing the essence of the lonely figure sitting in the grass. Her fingers became smudged with charcoal, but she hardly noticed as she slowly formed a clear image of him in black and white, staring from the grass into the sunset.

She wondered what he was thinking about. His thoughts looked so deep, complex, but he seemed to be enjoying himself, even if he was just sitting there in the park. Rarely did the young woman ever approach her subjects, but this time Holly felt compelled to. After all, he made such an interesting and attractive subject.

Standing and stretching she gathered up her things and shoved them back into her bag, except the book, which she left out and open to the drawing of the mystery man. Approaching him she became a little nervous. What if he got angry that she'd drawn him? It wasn't as if she'd asked permission first. Then again, it was just a drawing, nothing to get upset over. Coming to stand next to him, she smiled sheepishly and offered him the book with his drawing.

"Good evening, Sir. I've been staring at you for about two hours and I thought maybe you deserved to see this." The drawing of him wasn't just one of her sketches; the detail and shading put into it were precise, bordering on the compulsively perfect.

visualspice

Arrick hadn't notice when the woman approached, but at her voice, he turned to her casually- as if not even surprised at all she was there. In fact, over hearing this young woman had made a drawing of him made him smile- that was, until he realized,
"Really? Have I been lounging here that long?" He gave a sheepish rub to the back of his head and gave the girl a once over as he laughed. He must've been lucky to have captured the attention of such a pretty girl, whcih made him smile.

His eyes caught more attentively to the pages now as a smile cut toothtily across his face.
"Say, this is really good! Wow! Look at that detail!" And his hand ghosted over the image, but he did not touch it before lowering his hand as he turned his brown eyes to her. "Do you have a whole book full of these? Drawings I mean."A nd he gave a gestured shrug of his shoulder.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Well she hadn't startled him and he didn't seem angry, so that was a score in her book. Holly laughed softly as he asked if he'd been sitting so long. He must have lost track of the time, it was easy to do, the only reason she knew how long it had been was because of the way the sun was in her drawing and the way it was in the actual sky now. Normally she'd didn't put quite so much time and effort into a drawing of a stranger, but he'd been very aesthetic, artistically speaking, of course.

"Yeah, that long! It's rare that I get such a cooperative subject. Thank you." She chuckled a little as she knelt down, watching the way he admired her work. Nice to see someone appreciate her talents. Her parents thought her technique was suburb, but thought her subject matter rather lacking.

"This is just the book I have with me today, but I have tons of books already full at home. Here, have a look." She pulled the page above his drawing down, revealing the drawing of the old woman with the flowers, then the shop front, ahead of that was a sparrow on a fountain. "I like to draw what I see, especially if it's interesting."

visualspice

"Woah- hey, is that Mara?" His eyes grew large. "Man, I haven't spoken to her in months. How's she doing?" he asked, admiring the image of the shop keep. But then his attentions perked up as he turned to her with a raised brow.
"Wait... what? Interesting? You found me interesting?" He gave a laugh at that. "I dunno, for a guy who enjoys sitting for hours, I don't think many would agree with you." He cast her a smile. "But these drawings are really good. Do you have any more? I... I'm afraid to touch any of the pages." And he showed up his hands- now grass stained and still soiled from soot. "My hands aren't exactly the cleanest, and I'd feel awful smudging your work."

Zero

"She seems well, but I didn't talk to her today." Holly didn't know the old woman with the flowers very well, but she'd seen her before. Of course, she saw a lot of people coming and going when she ventured out into the park, but didn't know many of them very well. Her large blue eyes sparkled slightly when he laughed at the idea that she thought he was interesting.

"Well some people find different things interesting!" She offered with a smile. Holly found a handsome, if a little scruffy, man sitting staring into the sunset interesting! she turned her eyes back to the book and laughed at him not wanting to smudge her work, then wiggled her fingers at him, which were smeared with black charcoal from drawing for half the day. "I think they'll survive."

Even so, she turned to the next drawing, which had an old man and old woman holding hands while sitting on a bench, then there was a cat curled up inside an overturned flower pot, there was a knight in his armor, and the last she barely turned before quickly pushing it back. "So, uhm, I'm glad you liked the one I did of you. Sorry I didn't ask first."

visualspice

Catching her dirty fingers, his eyes lit up.
"Seems like we have the same sorts of hands," he said, moving his closer to hers as the inspected them together. He laid his over tops of hers, and she'd be able to feel, just barely, the roughness of his fingers.

"Though I think my hand wins hands down for being hte dirtiest, and probably the most calloused. You can probably see years of dirt beneath these nails. But I'm a miner, that sort of things to be expected. You get pretty dirty down there in the dark." ANd here he paused to give his back a crack. "And a stiff back." And he gave a laugh at that.

"And you don't have to apologize. Heck, I'd let you draw me again if we were ever to cross paths again."

Zero

Holly had been prepared to get caught up with her drawings, but his sudden enthusiasm for the idea that they both had dirty hands was pretty amusing. Hadn't he ever seen a woman with dirty hands before? She knew her mother would have been aghast at the idea of having her hands soiled, and didn't like that Holly got charcoal all over hers all the time, but he was a worker. Actually, that was part of his appeal, and the feel of his calloused hands, even just as the grazed ever so slightly, made her smile.

All those men her mother and father tried to shove at her had such soft, weak hands. They had never worked or appreciated anything, and they were boring. These dirty, rough hands had personality. "I can see that." She giggled as he cracked his back. "And hear it."

Her eyes lit up when he offered to let her draw him again, if she saw him, that is. "I'll hold you to that. You do make a rather fine drawing." She teased.

visualspice

Arrick laughed.
"I know you're excited to want to draw these monkey hands," he said, lifitng them up and wriggling his dirty finger at her with his palms towards her and his fingers fanned open. "though I'm sure most men would rather try to impress you with a muscle or fist, but maybe you and I can just exchange dirt patterns on our fingers, instead," he said with a laugh, though it was evident, even under the ratty coat he wore, that such a man probably had enough muscles to make over half the population of Connlaoth jealous- and at such a close range- a handsome face to boot.

His face, though the skin was roughged over, held a lot of character as the dirt smudges only seemed to amplify the way he looked. And though his nose was a bit crooked, it was not over bearing on his face and complimented the way he smiled and how strong his jaw line was. Even his brown eyes gave him character, and warmth.

"So you draw here often?"

Zero

Monkey hands? Holly didn't quite get it, but she laughed when he talked about men trying to impress her with their muscles or fists. "Exchange dirt patterns?" She wasn't even sure what he meant by that, but it was pretty funny, and she was also pretty sure he was trying to flirt with her. Oh my, but wasn't that interesting. "Lots of men have tried to impress me, but you are definitely the first to offer to exchange dirt patterns."

It was impossible to deny one of the reasons she'd felt the need to draw him was because he was quite handsome, from a distance she'd been able to tell, and now that she was right there beside him, knelling in the grass, it was all the more apparent. His smile was as warm as his brown eyes, and that was always a good thing. Handsome for sure, muscles to die for, and a killer smile. Oh dear, what was she going to do with him?

Grinning, Holly looked up at him with her dark blue eyes. "All the time. It's one of my favorite places to draw, you meet such interesting people and there are always new people to draw. For instance - you. I've never seen you before. Trust me, I would have remembered if I had, and would have drawn you then too."

visualspice

Arrick gave a laugh.
"I'd come here more often if I had the time. That's part of the reason I just sat there for hours. It just feels.. peaceful here. And it's nice to get away from being cooped up inside all day." He shrugged. "But what about you? I guess you're from around here, though I don't recognize you either, not that I know everyone, that's for damned sure, but my father used to know just about everyone in town-a nd they knew him. It's a shame he can't come out here to see this. He used to love watching the sunset in the park."

Zero

Holly couldn't help but smile as she listened to him talk about the park, and how it was peaceful. He really did appreciate the place, didn't he? She noticed individual things, and drew them, but he saw the big picture. Settling down on the grass beside him, her dark eyes took in the park, the sun setting. It was breathtaking, too bad she didn't have canvas and oils with her, she could have painted the sun setting over the park and the city.

"Me? Yes, I'm from around. Funny we've never bumped into each other before, but it is a pretty big city and you said you don't come out here too often." She didn't want to say where exactly she was from. Having to explain she was from the wealthy part of town would be awkward. People acted funny when they knew you had money.

"Not to be rude, I mean, it's none of my business, but why can't he? It's a shame for him to miss something so beautiful."

visualspice

"He's back at home. He's been ill for some time now, my mother, too. They haven't been outside in ages, either of them, but even still, they were able to chase me outside," he said with a chuckle.

"I guess it's been a while for me to. I work sun up from sun down- so being able to see the sun at all makes me realize how lucky I am when I am spared moments like this- since, well, my parents won't ever have them again. Though don't worry, they're both doing as fine as they can be. I think they enjoy being sick together, as strange as that sounds, but we don't have to keep talking about it. I know that sort of subject can make others feel sorry for me, or for them, but don't. It's no one's fault, and as far as I'm concerned, those two are just happy to be loved, even if they seem to cough out their lungs all the time."he said with a smile.

"Too bad I can't draw like you can, or use paints or whatever you call those things to make the paper full of color. Then I'd be able to capture what I see here nad bring it back to them."

Zero

Holly didn't say much as he spoke of his parents being sick, that was pretty sad. She couldn't imagine not getting to go outside, to feel the sun on her skin and the wind in her hair. When he said he worked from sun-up to sun-down though, she eyed as subtly as possible. Well working that much in a mine would probably explain just how muscly he was. It was a shame that he didn't get to enjoy more time to himself, though.

"I want to say that I don't feel sorry for you or them, but I kind of do, in some ways. I'm glad they're doing as well as they are, though. Staying positive is always a good thing." What he said about the paints though, well, she had just been thinking about that, hadn't she? Maybe she would drag canvas and oils out just to do a painting of the sunset.

"That would be a wonderful gift to them, if you could. I'm sure they would appreciate it."

visualspice

"I'm sure they would, even if the painting wouldn't be very good, but since I don't have the skills or the paints, I suppose they'll just have to rely on their son recounting his time enjoying the sunset. Though I think they might be surprised to hear I've had my picture drawn, too."

Zero

"Ah, well they sound like the sort that would appreciate just the description." Holly's parents didn't appreciate anything. Not all the piles of useless trinkets, not their health, and certainly not her. "Would you like your drawing? I'm sure your family would like to see it. You can have it - if you promise to come back again so I can draw another." She said the last bit with a sly grin on her face.

visualspice

"Really?" he gave a dumb founded smile. "I can have it?" He rubbed a hand over his mouth before nodding.
"Of course I'll come back again, the only problem is when? I mean... making a date with me isn't exactly easy," he teased, though it was the flirty kind as he gave he an equally sly grin in return.

Zero

"Oh, so it's a date now, is it?" Holly laughed, but she sifted through her sketchbook, found the drawing of him, and pulled it carefully from the other pages, but didn't hand it over just yet. "You know, they say things worth doing usually aren't easy, so a date with you must be really special."

When would she be able to talk him into coming back? He'd said that he worked from sun-up to sun-down, that didn't leave a lot of time for meeting with someone. Well they technically could meet after dark, but he'd probably be so tired and even the servants might decide it wasn't such a good idea to let her sneak out if she was out so late. "Well you managed to come out today, what is it, Sunday? Maybe we could meet again the next day you aren't down in those mines?"

visualspice

Arrick gave her a smirk, though it was almost a bit too sad to seem, well- happy.
"Aye, but I don't know when that would be. Sundays are my only day off and I spend those tending to my family. My older sister has just left for Essyrn- what are the odds? It was her dream for years and well... Sunday is the only time I have to get things in order around my house."
He scratched at the back of his neck. "I.. err.. I don't suppose you could take a rain check? I honestly could not make a promised meeting. I would feel as if I've failed you already if I would have to break our first date."

Zero

Ansgar help them all, but he was difficult, wasn't he? Holly frowned at him, pursing her lips in thought as she tried to come up with another plan. How could he work that much and still have a smile like that? "Does it really take all day Sunday? You can't spare even a few minutes to come meet with me? Never taking a break is not healthy, you know. And it is really bad form when you want to meet a lady for a date to make her hunt you down."