Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

First Time In the Light [M]

Started by visualspice, February 11, 2014, 01:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

He kissed her forehead before releasing his hold and taking a step back.
"Good night, Holly." he told her, eyes lingering upon her's.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

"Good night, Arrick. I'll see you Sunday for dinner, at six." Holly blew him a kiss with an impish grin before turning and making her way inside. Already she found herself unable to wait for Sunday to come.

visualspice

She wasn't the only one anxious. Arrick found himself lingering near by her house, eyes waiting upon unlit windows until he saw one up high go on and smiled. It seemed she was settling in for the night rather quickly- which was good. He'd hate to bring more of her parents ire upon her. Turning from her house, he made his way back home, sleeping but an hour before rising and making his way back to work.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Holly had butterflies in her stomach all day Sunday. Her maid simply would not stop fussing over what she was wearing. She knew what was going on. Her mother had insisted on dressing and dolling her up for this dinner, and her mother would also be looking very extravagant. The hateful woman wanted to intimidate and scare off her poor miner.

Well Arrick wouldn't be so easily swayed away from her. She hoped.

When the time for dinner drew closer her anxiety only continued to raise with each passing minute. He would be there soon and they would find out just how sincere he really was in his wish to marry her. She hoped and prayed that her parents wouldn't frighten him off.

visualspice

All week his anxiety was mounting up to this very Sunday. It was 'Do or Die', as his littlest sister was quick to remind him, repeatedly. Even still, he knew with all his heart he wanted to make a good impression, and though he and Holly were from different worlds, he just hoped her parents would take to him as kindly as she. He knew there'd certainly be some trepidation, but as he was suiting up in his father's dark blue over coat and fastening his grandfather's grey neck scarf, he paused in the hall's dust-smudged mirror to look himself over.

It was Arisa's tutting that gained his attention and he smiled at her through the reflection.

"You need to do something about your hair."

Arrick raised a brow.
"What about it?" he raked his fingers through it. "I scrubbed it real good..."

Arisa rolled her eyes and approached her brother.

"Handsome men of aristocracy wear their hair.. back," she went on, gesturing to her own hair and slicking back her curls. "And a tail at the end." She held out a red ribbon. "Shall I help you with your hair?"

Arrick looked her over.
"Yes.. you shall," he replied playfully as he bowed and took a seat for his much smaller sister to fuss over him. She did the best she could with what they had to get his hair back, and it seemed long enough to fit into the shortest of tails. But once finished, she gave a broad smile.
"You look real handsome now."

"Oh?" her brother asked, rising. "And I hadn't before?"

She scrunched her lips and shrugged.

"Let's just say I think Holly will be swooning."

Arrick smiled and pulled his sister into a single armed hug and kissed the top of her head.

"Good, that's all I needed to hear!" And he made his way towards the door, his other sister's giggling and verbally fussing over how he looked. Once outside, he gave a wave to his family, and a nod to his mother who was lingering in the window. Then he turned away, drew in a long breath and began his journey to the other side of town.

He didn't hesitate when he approached Holly's estate, and made his way right up towards the door, where he smoothed down his jacket and hair before knocking on the door. A servant answered it, and not knowing what to do, he bowed to the servant and said,
"I'm Arrick Longfellow. I'm here to see Holly." And his hands fidgeted at his sides.

Zero

It was hard to breathe and impossible to stop the fluttering in her stomach as Holly stood in the sitting room. Well, more like paced in the sitting room. Her poor maid was doing her best to keep up with her, still fussing over her clothing and hair. The pale blue skirts of her elegant silk dress made a soft swishing noise, and her elderly servant tittered at her.

"Child, hold still. You must look your best for our company. This is your very own young man coming to call, you know." With an exasperated sigh Holly stopped in front of a long mirror, gently making minor adjustments to her hair, which had been braided and coiled into a bun, with her blue ribbon woven into the red-gold strands. Nervously she smoothed her hands down the stiff bodice, wishing she were in her normal breeches and jacket.

A soft sound of disapproval came from the chair by the window. "Holly, stop fidgeting, it is unladylike." Jessica Marston was a beautiful woman with an aristocratic air about her. Her hair was the color of pure gold and her eyes like ocean water. "This Longfellow boy might be some common lout, but I will not have you forgetting your manners or embarrassing me."

"Yes, Mother." Holly mumbled, folding her hands in front of her and taking a seat at the other chair as politely as she could, although her lips were drawn into a tight scowl. She hated the way her mother spoke of Arrick so dismissively, as if this were a distasteful situation that was soon to be over with.

Fat chance.

Her father was standing by the mantle and sighed with a long-suffering shake of his head. Delmar Marston had far too much experience trying to keep peace between his very conservative wife and strong-willed and, admittedly wild-spirited, daughter. He smoothed his red-gold hair, nearly the exact shade his daughter boasted, as the sound of knocking came from the front of the house. Casting a final glance at Holly he sighed. "And you are certain I cannot talk you out of this?"

"Papa I love him." Delmar sighed and Jessica rolled her eyes, mumbling about marrying for love being foolish commoner nonsense. Holly ignored them both and practically raced to the front door.

Arlo, the elderly, grey-haired butler had answered the door with an amused grin. Most of the house staff were beyond amused at the mini war going on inside the household between mother and daughter. "Ah, welcome young Master. No need for all that, we've been expecting you."

Just as he opened the door wide for Arrick, Holly appeared in all her finery, her face lighting up as she saw him. Not caring about her mother's scolding to mind her manners she threw her arms around him in a quick hug, bringing about chuckles from Arlo before he stepped more out of the way.

"I am so glad you made it," Holly took a step back, keeping her hands on his arms as she let her eyes roam up and down his form appreciatively, "And look at you! You've always been so handsome, but you clean up sharply, Mr. Longfellow."

visualspice

"I'm sorry if I kept you waiting. My sisters.... Well," he flashed her a bright smile. "You know how they are." Releasing a nervous, breathy laugh, his own eyes indulged her as his smile grew. "You look amazing."

Zero

"Oh no, you're not late or anything. I've just been anxious to see you." Holly bit her lip, blushing slightly as he praised her appearance.

"You don't think it's too much? Mother insisted. I think she wants to intimidate you with our wealth, but I think father just wants to make sure you're a good man. I think." She didn't look all that convinced of that, but she tried to put on a brave face. Her father would come around, he had to.

visualspice

"Anxious, huh?" he repeated, giving her a crooked smile. "Then I'm sorry I made you wait any longer than you had to." But as she went on asking if it was too much, his grin grew. "No, I think it's refreshing. I've never seen you dolled up like this."
Although... a little part of him WAS a bit terrified that the second they'd see him and be able to judge his patched up, hand me down suit against their eloquent, daughter's rich attire- it would be more than evident of their status; and that such luxuries..... Perhaps may not be as fanciful in her future as they were now. But then again, Holly had chosen him and he, her. And he was not a man to ignore or deny his heart, but indulge in it. And in that moment, all he could do was get lost in Holly's eyes and wish to the gods' he could kiss her deeply, truly.

Zero

Holly made a bit of a face at the "dolled up" comment. She hated wearing such expensive, impractical gowns. They were pointless. Still, she managed to twist her lips into a smirk as she ran her hands over the front of his suit - obviously worn as it was. "You know, I could say the same about you. You really do look very handsome in a suit, but I like you any way I can get you."

She nearly jumped when Arlo cleared his throat to get their attention. "Pardon for interrupting Miss Holly, but you should show your guest to the dining room. Supper will be served shortly."

The young woman blushed deeply, almost having forgotten that they weren't completely alone there in the entrance hall. "Right then! Best not to keep mother and father waiting. Even if I kinda wish they could just wait forever..."

Holly mumbled that last bit as she took Arrick's arm and lead him through the house. Her mother was seated directly to the right of the head of the table. Her father was standing behind her mother's chair, watching them with that critical look he always had. She took a deep breath before putting on her best smile. "Mother, Father, I'd like you to meet my intended, Arrick Longfellow. Arrick, these are my parents - Delmar and Jessica Marston."

Her mother said nothing, but the snooty look of distaste was kind of hard to miss. Delmar squeezed his wife's shoulder gently before nodding to Arrick. "It is nice to meet you, young man. Even if I father should expect to meet his future son-in-law before finding out that his daughter is engaged."

visualspice

Her parents were as he expected them,to be; as pristine as a painting. He could see where Holly inherited her looks and he bowed his head as they both addressed him. Guilt was evident in his eyes at their comment as he stole a quick glance to Holly.

"Its a pleasure to meet you both. I...apologize our meeting hadn't come any sooner. But I'm happy for the invitation and your gracious hospitality."
He felt so rigid and awkward, like the stitching on his clothes.

Zero

Feeling the awkwardness and tension building in the room, Holly cleared her throat before flashing Arrick what she hoped was a reassuring smile. "We should sit. I'll be across from mother and you'll sit next to me."

Jessica's expression tightened slightly, but she still said nothing as her daughter moved over take the chair to the left of her father, who took his seat now, watching them intently.

He barely allowed them both to sit before speaking. "So Arrick, I'm to understand you work in the mines. A very labor intensive job, but a poorly paying one."

Holly had to bite her tongue to keep from pointing out just how lazy a job her father had but somehow made a lot of money.

visualspice

"Yeah, I work sun up to sun down. The hours are long, and I guess you could say the pay is small, but it's enough to put food on the table."
He silently cleared his throat and looked from one parent to the next.
"I'm sure the work of a miner is hardly as interesting as your profession. Would you care to tell me about it?"

Zero

"Sun up to sun down? And when exactly will you have time for my daughter?" It was the first thing that Jessica actually said to Arrick, and her tone spoke volumes about her dislike and disapproval of a impoverished working man being in her home.

"All night long, mother." Holly just couldn't stop herself from saying it. Besides, maybe once they were married Arrick could work fewer hours - she could sell art to help him support them.

"Now darling..." Delmar warned, shooting a look between his wife and daughter before clearing his throat. "I am a trader, Mr. Longfellow. I am sure that a long-winded discussion about imports and exports would only serve to bore you, and the women, of course."

Holly's lips tightened as she took a moment to stop glaring at her mother and to instead turn that steely gaze on her father.

visualspice

Arrick decided to let the question go about spending time with his wife to be, but smiled at the latter suggestion.

"I can't say I'd be bored. Your type of work sounds interesting, however, I can't say I'd understand all of the information you'd be willing to give." He cleared his throat, looking from father to mother then back to Holly's father again.

"How long have you been in the trade business?" That seemed a safer route to go, as far as conversations were concerned.

Zero

"I was born into it. My grandfather established the family trade, then my father built up the business into the current prosperity, and as soon as I was old enough I began helping and learning so that I could maintain the family's good fortune." Delmar sighed softly, glancing at his still sulking daughter. "I had hoped my son would carry on the family business, but as I have no sons to inherit it from me and a petulant daughter who is far more artist than businesswoman, I had hoped my son-in-law would be able to run things once I was gone, but..."

Well he didn't want to say it outright, but obviously Arrick was not a businessman. That was one reason he'd tried so hard to find his daughter a husband that was of the proper class and education.

"I can do it! Just because I'm a woman and an artist doesn't mean that I'm going to destroy your legacy." Holly scowled and stared at the table angrily.

"I never said that." Delmar said to his daughter in exasperation.

Thank god the servants entered then carrying covered trays to set in front of each occupant at the table, along with pouring them an expensive red wine. When the lids were lifted roasted duck and an assortment of vegetables were revealed.

visualspice

"Ah, I understand." He did, truthfully and gave a look between father and daughter as their exchange went on. If there was one thing he was good at, it was taking these sort of situations in stride.

"I wish I could offer more to you and your legacy than the minimal education I do have," he began, hoping to catch the attention of father from daughter to ward off any further venomous looks between them. "Although your job sounds pretty interesting, I suppose in another life I might have been so lucky to learn. But I can't claim myself as a smart man, smarts in my family went to my sister," he went on, giving the family a sheepish smile. "But I'd like to believe your daughter chose a good man."

Zero

"I never thought my daughter would choose a bad man, only a bad match. The two of you are not exactly cut from the same cloth." Delmar might be willing to be more civil than his wife, but he was rather blunt about the fact that Holly and Arrick were from very different classes.

"Not a bad man?!" Jessica slapped her hand onto the table. "How can you say that? This...this...this...ruffian has manipulated our daughter into throwing a tantrum to marry him. He has nothing to offer our daughter. Nothing! He is an unscrupulous thief out to steal our daughter and wealth from us!"

Both Holly and Delmar had turned white, eyes wide and staring at the matron in shock. Delmar had the good sense to look embarrassed at his wife's outburst, but Holly was shaking with the effort of containing her rage.

Delmar cleared his throat and turned to one of the well dressed attendants. "My wife is tired. See her to our rooms."

Jessica gave the most withering, venomous look she possibly could to all three of them before turning and haughtily seeing herself out. She didn't want to be forced to sit through this farce a moment longer anyway! Even if it stung to be sent to bed like a petulant child.

"Forgive my wife, Mr. Longfellow. You must understand that this is all very...hard on us. You are not exactly the future we were hoping for our only child, and well, Holly is our only child. Even if she had agreed to marry exactly who we wanted, we would still be losing her in a way." He did look rightly contrite.

Holly looked near tears.

visualspice

Arrick remained quiet as the whole ordeal went on. But what could he say? He waited for the air to settle and her father to say his peace before he himself lowered his gaze and digested over things.

"Maybe it was too soon for us to presume a marriage. I would feel awful to take your only daughter away with such friction between any of us. I come from a large family, and I'm not a fan even when my own sisters squabble, but we always keep our peace. If it makes you feel any better, Holly and I can make an extended engagement, so you can get to know me better, and I you. I think this would be fair, presuming you, and Holly," he went on, finally giving his fiance a look after so long of avoiding eye contact as he thought things over.

"But don't mistake my offer to draw out the engagement as a means to rethink on our wedding to be." He made sure he was very clear nad direct in this. He had not come here to negotiate their wedding, simply make peace of it, as best he and Holly could. "As a man, I could not consider myself honorable if I did not pursue the wishes and desires of my future family in-law." He shook his head. "Perhaps if we allow you both some time, and some other formal invitations so that we can all better get to know one another. I know I'd like that. And since Holly's met and gotten to now my family well, it's only fair that myself, as well as you both, are offered the same."

Zero

Holly's stomach nearly flipped as she sat quietly and listened to all of it. She hadn't expected this dinner to be pleasant, but this wasn't just unpleasant, it was a complete disaster. Her mother had not only repeatedly insulted Arrick, but had accused him of terrible things that were completely untrue. Now her father had somehow managed to convince her sweet miner to drag the whole ordeal out even longer.

She reached over and gripped his hand, giving it a light squeeze. He would be her husband, she had to hold that thought tightly, because right then she was sure that her mother was going to drive him away for sure.

"Well if you were to take in my wife's wishes you would never see or speak to Holly again." Delmar sighed heavily. "Jessica will never be okay with this. I am not implying accepting you as my son-in-law will not sometimes be a struggle for me, but at the very least I can accept that this is what will make my daughter happy. And despite what she might think, I do want her to be happy."

He shifted uncomfortably in his chair, looking between them. "I think an extended engagement is a fine idea, but not because I think you will ever change my wife's mind. As a father it is my duty to make sure my child is going to be well cared for by her future husband, and after dinner I will have much to discuss with you on that front Arrick. I know you want my blessing for this marriage, but before I give it there are some things I expect from you."