Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fun with Guns and Bombs [Cambie]

Started by Alegretto, February 20, 2014, 09:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

Now the dwarf was practically bursting with excitement. The only words he'd heard were the ones confirming that the man made his own powder. Few people did. This was an excellent opportunity.

"So what composition do you use in your powder?" The dwarf asked. "What ratios? Oh and where do you get your materials for it? You know, your sulfur, charcoal and saltpeter?" The dwarves had different names for the materials but in his travels Darjak had learned that most humans recognized these designations. "I mean I'll share my composition with you of course. All in the spirit of making a bigger boom." The dwarf laughed "Do you know off the top of your head or do you have it written down somewhere..?"

Cambie

Fletcher's voice caught in his throat. This dwarf, whom he had JUST met, wanted to know how he made blackpowder? A secret like that would have been kept hidden if they were the best of friends. Anxiously he shrugged off the question with a quick "I've got my recipe." After that, his pace quickened again.

By that time they just reached the ten-foot walls surrounding the college of Uthlyn. As renowned and prestigious as it was in Connlaoth, the proprietors of the college also knew that the secrets locked away within the most brilliant minds of the nation were kept safe. The campus only had several gates leading into the actual college itself, and another inner wall surrounding the tower. At the eastern gate, the guards atop the wall halted the two travelers.

Fletcher, of course, was immediately recognized. But it took a hesitant glance at the dwarf and a lot of thought before he told the guard, "He's with me. My, ah... bodyguard. The city's been rife with thieves and killers lately."

Alegretto

The fellow clammed up at Darjak's question. That was fair enough, some people liked to have some privacy, it just meant the dwarf would have to figure out another way to get him to reveal it. Not that it really mattered if Fetch's recipe was substantially weaker than Darjak's. Ah well, time would tell for that. Still, the man didn't have to look at the dwarf like he was a mad-man for asking an innocuous question. And after he'd saved his life!

They arrived at the college in short order, and Darjak was once again impressed by the size of the building and it's fortifications. The Connlaothians didn't protect anything only half way. The gunsmith introduced the dwarf as his bodyguard at the gates. Darjak was going to complain, he'd just been here earlier and he still had permission to access for another few hours, but he realized it was probably faster to go along with Fletcher on this one. The man was in a hurry and something told the dwarf that the gunsmith wouldn't appreciate the delay it would take for them to verify Darjak's identity and allow him in.

The gate opened and allowed the pair through inside. The dwarf had no idea where to go but Fletch clearly had an objective, so Darjak just followed him.

Cambie

The buildings left and right were mostly dark, though several of the workshops still glowed at the windows as their occupants worked by candlelight. The streets past the walls of the college, unlike the jumbled labyrinth of Uthlyn, formed a neat hexagonal grid that coalesced on the grand tower, and toward the tower was where Fletcher headed now. The sheer height of the building loomed larger and larger over them the closer they got.

All the buildings nearest the tower were single-storied, and each one had substantial open spaces either before or behind them. Fletcher turned left past the low stone wall of the third building into a paved courtyard that seemed less an open space as it did an engineer's playground. Cannons, some complete and some half built, sat in a neat row across one end, while at the other sat mounds of hay set up with wooden targets, demarcated every ten paces by red paint. The high-roofed workshop resembled a stable and barn, if not for the complicated pulleys crisscrossing several of the doorways. A large unlit furnace and forge sat underneath a low roof on the eastern end.

"Please, don't touch anything," he asked Darjak softly before fumbling in his pocket for a key. The large door swung open after its iron padlock clicked open, revealing the dark interior of Fletcher's workshop, hay strewn about on the ground. There were several large wooden benches, each one littered with tools of all sorts. And on those tables sat wooden stocks, triggers, hollowed barrels, cogs, screws, and everything else imaginable.

He gently lit a candle and carried it over to a small door to the side, reinforced in heavy brass and also chained with a padlock. Opening his vault, he carefully placed the four lockboxes in a corner before picking himself out several more nondescript guns and a coat.

"As you can see," he called over his shoulder while preparing himself, "this is where I work."

Alegretto

Darjak followed Fletcher through the facilities. The beautiful campus tempted the dwarf, just as it had the last time, to open up shop here and continue his research in comfort. He quickly banished the thought. There was no way he'd be satisfied cooped up in a laboratory or workshop all-day. Better to be traveling out in the world searching for new and better materials himself. The peaceful life would be just too boring.

Fletcher turned off into one of the buildings and Darjak followed him. He walked in as if he owned the place, which he probably the dwarf realized in reflection. The man's order not to touch anything made Darjak stew a little. Seriously, Fletcher treated him as if he was a barbarian. He knew better than to touch another craftsmen's supplies and products!

The dwarf watched as the gunsmith armed himself and spoke again, confirming Darjak's suspicions about who owned, or at least inhabited, the workshop. The dwarf laughed. "Certainly beats my workshop." He said. "But then again, you can't take all this on the road with you." The dwarf looked around. Still, it was nice...

He shook the temptation away. "Anyhow, now that you're geared up, what's that about muscle you mentioned?"

((OOC: Seriously though, are we talking about an NPC or is someone else gonna join in? I'm totally fine if you want to recruit another PC,  but I'd like to know beforehand.))

Cambie

(( I was just going to make up some NPC, but if you want to add someone go right ahead ))

"Down the street," Fletcher grunted as he eyeballed the little vial of blackpowder he kept on a leather string underneath his coat. The measurements of powder he used for his gun were always precise, and a time of crisis like now was no exception. "An old colleague, Klaus. He owes me a favor, and we're bringing him with us. The man knows how to fight."

The gunsmith was equally meticulous in selecting the lead bullets that he kept high on a shelf just inside his locked vault, each one precisely crafted to give him the most accuracy possible with these oft-unreliable guns. Small wonder normal folk could not afford guns, especially his: for an artisan like him, everything had to be perfect.

Finally, he locked the vault back up and turned, ready to go. In place of his other coat was a larger one, thick enough to withstand the elements and to comfortably cover the two long-barreled handguns strapped in leather holsters at his side. He held a third gun in his hand, a longer rifle that seemed so intricately carved that it could have been a sculpture instead of a weapon. Finally, as if an afterthought, a plain shortsword hung from his belt.

Alegretto

((OOC: Nah that's fine))

While Fletcher was preparing his weapons, Darjak took the opportunity to kit himself out as well. After all, not everything was easily accessible in his massive pack.

He dropped the large bag and opened the back pocket. He plucked five blast eggs and three bangsticks out of it and slipped them into pouches on his belt and bandolier. He took the rod he had utilized earlier and slipped it through a loop at his hip and then slipped a couple fuses and some packages of his own black powder into the pockets of his jacket. He secreted a few other useful things into places about his person and pulled out his small bag for sample collection before finally turning to address Fletcher. "Do you mind if I leave this hear for now?" he said hefting his huge pack. He too was ready to set off.

Cambie

Fletcher was about to protest. He barely knew this man, and didn't want him or his belongings in his workshop. Indeed, Fletcher rarely let anyone into the sanctity of this building, especially when he was trying to focus his attention completely on his craft. And yet he couldn't protest this dwarf leaving his belongings there temporarily. After all (and he couldn't forget it) Darjak had saved his life.

With a nod, he said, "You can come collect it once we're done. My workshop is secure, and the guards patrolling the college are competent enough."

He made sure to lock up his vault, blow out the candles, and then chain shut the large doors of the workshop. One could never be too safe, especially now that war was brewing to the north.

"Turn right when we go out the gate," he said over his shoulder as he put his key into the padlock. "Klaus has a smithy on the other side of the college, near the novice dormitories."

Alegretto

Darjak dropped his pack in a corner and then stepped outside so Fletcher could lock his workshop. This fellow seemed so closed off, like he had so much to hide and protect. No, the dwarf definitely preferred the openness of the road, free from responsibility and able to share his knowledge with the world (Darjak never once considered the danger of giving recipes for explosives to others).

He heard the man's directions and followed them to the letter. It was quiet as the pair walked through the campus. Not just between them, but the entire school itself. Darjak lost himself in his consideration of how much of this new sulfur he should take for experimenting, and before he knew it Fletcher was stopping in front of a smithy. The dwarf took it that this was the Klaus fellows place.

Cambie

The forge was dark, although the faint remains of cooling embers still littered about the open-air workstation. In contrast, the small building right next to the smithy had light streaming from its single window. Fletcher made his way over to the door and gave it a loud rap.

From inside came a loud "harumph!" and, moments later, the door swung open to reveal a large, bearded man just layered with muscle. His scowl of suspicion lasted all of a second before his brown eyes fell on Fletch. With a cragged grin, he patted the young man on the shoulder.

"Fletch! You should've told me you were comin' over. Everytime I invite to you supper with me and the wife, you refuse... and now you show up so unexpectedly?"

Fletcher gave the man a pat back and said, "I need to call in my favor from you."

Klaus looked between him and the dwarf with a raised brow. "Trouble, eh? Well, you did help me pay for this house..." He glanced back at Darjak. "Who's this? What's the problem?"

Alegretto

The dwarf was impressed with the forge and the house. It shed a positive light on the owner, and Darjak was pretty sure he already liked this man. Fletcher knocked on the door and the fellow came out. He was a big man and a healthy looking one. Darjak was sure he could like this man.

Klaus asked his questions and the dwarf decided to do his best to answer him. He gave a nod of the head and extended his hand towards Klaus. "I'm Darjak, it's a pleasure. Me and Fletcher here have a little problem and Fletch said that you're a reliable fellow who can help us out. Actually, he referred to you as 'muscle.'"

Cambie

Klaus arched a thick brow and glanced at Fletcher, who conveniently looked away. The big man gave a loud barking laugh. "Muscle... he's never called me that before. But it's true, ain't it?"

He looked between Fletcher and Darjak again. "So trouble, eh?"

Fletcher finally looked back up. "Trouble, down at Silverlight. Some of my guns were stolen."

The smith scoffed. "What, the old sulfur mine? Who'd want to take anything there?"

Alegretto

Darjak shrugged. "I dunno, but Fletch here was attacked by at least five guys. Not very bright, or all that skilled either, but someone paid them off to waylay him."

He smiled knowingly. "Plus, a sulfur mine can be a valuable resource in wartime. The stuff's one of the things you need to make black powder. Anyone assembling a modern army is going to want a supply of it."

Cambie

Klaus let out another barking laugh and thumbed towards Fletcher. "IF you want to assemble a modern army, you need this man. He's the finest gunsmith in all of the land."

Fletcher frowned and turned a slight shade of red, but said nothing. Besides, the smith's boast on behalf of his smaller friend wasn't true at all. He made guns for the sake of art and science, not so they could be used to kill his fellow countrymen. There were plenty of workshops around dedicated to churning out masses of albeit lower-quality wheel lock rifles. And even then, they were rare enough that a full army of riflemen could never be assembled. The cost was just too high.

"It's precisely that," Fletcher explained to the dwarf. "The mine was abandoned months ago when the war started to grow out of hand. The people here need pairs of hands to plow the fields and gather the crops, not to mine sulfur. I didn't think a single Connlaothian had stepped foot there in weeks."

A slight frown crossed his face as he realized something. "Maybe they wanted me, and not just my guns. But who would want me -- aside from someone with money and power? ANd if that's the case... then the mine might be crawling with his men."

Suddenly, three of them didn't seem like enough muscle at all.

Alegretto

An awkward silence rang out between the three of them at Fletcher's words. After it hung for a few seconds the dwarf cleared it with an *Ahem.* "Well id doesn't really matter how many there so long as they don't see us. No harm in doing a little scouting, right? We don't have to fight them, just figure out who's behind it."

He pulled a map out of his pocket. "The librarian let me copy this map. It shows all the tunnels and routes in the mine. With this I think we can figure out how to stay out of sight."

Cambie

Fletcher's face grew firm and adamant as he shook his head. "No, we need to get my guns back."

Klaus glanced over at him and gave him a pat on the back, before turning back to Darjak. "Our short friend here is right. If it's teeming with people, then we haven't a hope of retrieving your goods. So let's not get ahead of ourselves, eh Master Fletcher? Let's go with Darjak's plan."

Upon seeing Fletcher's disconcerted frown, the big smith laughed again. "YOU came to get me, remember? So now take my advice when I give it to you."

(( Feel free to control Klaus or any other NPC, by the way ))

Alegretto

Darjak smiled. He'd been right, he did like this smith! He addressed Fletcher. "See, Klaus agrees. Now Fletch, I'm not saying that we don't take the opportunity to take the guns back if we get it, but we should probably see what we're up against. What'ya say, a little ol' fashioned scouting before we launch our all-out assault?"

Cambie

Fletcher hesitantly nodded his head, but didn't say anything. This sort of thing wasn't his strong suit; give him a workshop and a target any day. Klaus, on the other hand broke into a large grin and said, "Righto, let me go tell the missus that I have an obligation to help Master Fletcher here."

The big smith disappeared into the house. The sound of muffled conversation slowly turned into a serious of shouts, and then Klaus ran back out as the inside of the home echoed with the sound of a metal pot hitting the wall. He grinned sheepishly at the two and said, "She's not happy the dinner'll get cold. Anyway, I have a horse and wagon out back."

Alegretto

Darjak smiled excitably. This could be fun. "We'll let's get this show on the road." He started walking around the house but then stopped as a though struck him. "Are you going to bring anything Klaus?"

The man appeared unarmed, and Darjak wondered if there was anything he needed.

Cambie

Klaus gestured for them to follow him around the building to a small one-horse stable, outside of which sat a rickety old wagon. He pulled back the tarp covering it and began unloading the few crates still sitting in the back.

"I've got my gear in the shed," he grunted as he worked. Fletcher gave Darjak a glance before stepping forward to help clear the wagon. Between the two of them, they made short work of it.

Klaus disappeared into the stable and reemerged a short time later leading his pack horse by the reins. He was also more fully dressed: a dark cloak over a leather jerkin. At his waist hung a longsword in its scabbard. No doubt he'd forged it himself.