Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The March to Ajhfeld

Started by visualspice, February 24, 2014, 02:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Basket

"I wouldn't dream of it," Jacen replied smugly.

This girl needed to loosen up. She may have been a soldier, but she took things way to seriously all the time. Not to mention the serious trust issues. Still, he couldn't help but steal glances at her now and again. She had more of a rugged beauty to her, not like the fragile looking noble women that Jacen was used to seeing. In his opinion, it was nicer to have a woman that didn't look like she would break in half by giving her a hug. But with how much trouble he'd caused her, he probably wouldn't have to worry about that. Still, he was about that age where he should be finding a wife regardless.

His thoughts were interrupted by the approaching Duke. It was time to see where his loyalties lied.

Anadwen

Artemis followed the strange company to the square, and waited for the duke to come out... However, when he finally did, a confident smirk spread on his thin lips. He resisted the urge to shove himself forth and shout 'Hey Blaith!' out loud, and instead pushed himself through the crowd just a little closer, accidentally - or was it really an accident? - poking the woman with his elbow, and his scruffy head appeared right in front of her.

Finally! He was impatient for the speech, just wanting to get to it and get out of here once and for all... He made one more step forth, ruthlessly shoving someone out of his way, to make sure that the duke would see him, and waited.

Alegretto

Tertius watched the soldiers go. It was nice to know that not all soldiers were insubordinate like that fellow with the rifle. While he watched the walk off, a small circle of open space formed around him. Whispers abounded, and he heard his name more than once.

Out of the crowd, a middle-aged soldier emerged and walked up to Tertius. "General Cornelius?" he asked

Tertius looked at the fellow. His armor denoted him as a sergeant, and his age was such that he might have serve with the general in some of his last campaigns. Tertius accessed the massive catalogue of faces he stored in his mind. There was no way for him to remember every soldier he served with, but on the off chance he could recall, it would impress those gathered around him. He needed to make a good impression if he was going to lead this men at all. He had to show that he hasn't lost his edge.

An image in his memory jumped out at him. A boy, barely eighteen, acting as a runner relaying orders from him to his lieutenants. What was the boy's name... It came to him after a few moments. Darius.

"Yes that's me." he finally replied to the mans question. "And you're Darius, right?"

The man looked stunned. "Y, y, yessir, that's me! I didn't think you'd recognize me."

The general smiled. "Lucky guess." he replied with a shrug. He tried to pass it off as something casual, and he was gratified to hear the volume of whispers increase. Good, things were progressing nicely.

He was going to continue the conversation when he heard the murmuring pick up intensely in volume. He looked around to see what the commotion was and saw Blaith emerging from the castle. Tertius' breath caught. The boy looked so much older now, so haggard. What had he been through while the old man was away.

He spoke a quick reply to Darius, "It was nice seeing you again, but I have to be going." The old man walked into the crowd, working his way closer to the Duke.

Nomad

Looking to Igna as she spoke up about being ready, Novak gives a faint nod to let her know that he is ready. As she begins to move Novak keeps his gaze fixed on her for a few moments before he shifts his gaze to the others as they begin to follow after her. Though it had not been confirmed with Igna, Novak waits for everyone to follow after her before he begins to follow after her, taking up the rear of the group.

Moving into the crowed after Igna and the others Novak begins to shift his gaze, glancing around slowly as he pushes threw the crowed. Though he had not given up his weapon the man they were sent after, Jacen, had given in to coming along with them and from time to time Novak would glance to the man to make sure things were alright with him.

Lifting his gaze Novak looks to the man that comes out of the castle and begins to wonder if it is the man that would be giving the speech and there for the reason he had come here.

visualspice

Igna's gaze narrowed at Jacen. She didn't appreciate the remark, but left it at that- and as much as her eyes wanted to remain on the Duke as he stepped forward and the crowd began to turn his way, she kept at least half her gaze on Jacen. But even still, the very presence the Duke of Turgall presented was enough to seal a knot in her throat- one she was having trouble swallowing back.

But then, with a flashing smile across his handsome face, the Duke of Turgall began to speak.

"Good people of the Duchy of Turgall!" he began, a friendly hand raising to the masses. "And.. perhaps some of you not from Turgall..." A comment that elicited a rising chuckle from the crowd. "Do I have your eyes and ears for at least this moment in time? For I have news to share here today, and I am hoping you are all willing to listen- with both an open mind and heart."

At such a claim, Igna found herself growing rigid, squaring off her shoulders and silently nodding to her Duke's words. And inadvertently, her eyes trailed over to Blaith- but just for the briefest of moments. It was hard not to look at their leading nobleman. Their family had been known for their good looks, and Blaith himself always held such charismatic speeches. It's why, though the duchy did much more poorly than the rest, he still held great respect among his people.

"Earlier this week I have received confirmation on something that will only confirm the rumors I've long since denied." He flashed a smile now, though the smile didn't reach his eyes. "You're all aware that my twin sister, Lady Kella Harmond, has been missing for many years now- and despite my best efforts to seek her out, they have gone in vain. Well..." A dry laugh came from his throat as he stared down at the pulpit, a fist lightly tapping against it before his blue eyes rose back to the crowd.

"My sister is no longer lost. But she has been found. And it has been declared she was a mage by the very animal who had lead the slaughter through both the towns of Havanlaar and Thaedes. The very man who raises terror in both supporters of the crown- and those who are not. And it is a hard fact for me to swallow, but the reality is there- and it has been confirmed, visually, and.... on official royal documents, that," he paused for a moment, his smile curling unconventionally across his lips as he shook his head, but continued, "my sister Lady Kella has been taken as a prisoner in the large northern fort in Ahjfeld- Fort Dhagh."

He went silent a moment- as did the crowd.

"I have sent word to the Duke of Ahjfeld on the matter. The letter was simple- demanding the release of my sister. Well.." He gave another dry laugh, one the crowd could not hear, but could clearly see. "I got my answer today." And he held up a scroll in a fist. "And he refuses to comply."

The crowd began to murmur, and Igna found her gaze shifting from Blaith, to the masses. She felt the same uneasiness as they did. So the Duke's sister was a mage? Or was that not confirmed? Though now that she's a prisoner- and his desire to have her released ignored...
What did that mean?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Anadwen

Artemis carefully listened to what Blaith had to say, his lips gradually spreading into a smirk. He was neither young nor stupid, and he knew very well what this meant - that they shall march on the fort, and claim the girl back.

Exactly what he wanted the most in this situation. Finally an opportunity to show the protest, an opportunity to show that they shall not be pushed down into the mud, an opportunity to rise against the oppressors... The imprisoned duke's sister was only a shallow excuse, but it was a reason enough to start something like that.

He made his way to the front of the crowd, ignoring a few scowls and growls, until there was finally no one before him, and he saw the duke of Turgall, knowing that he was able to notice him just as well.

Wicked Basket

"He's not the only one who got his answer today," Jacen said softly.

Jacen knew that he would definitely be participating now. There was no way that he could pass up an opportunity to destroy a mage camp, and with such a formidable force. That camp was as good as gone.

Nascent

Caleb strongly disliked cities. To some the hustle and bustle, the close living quarters, the wall walls and spiraling edifices were reassurances of progress, of security, of the aims of the public good. They brought with them the quiet conciliation that although life was chaotic and haphazard, that although the world was cruel and strange, here and there mankind had carved bastions of order into chaos -- that will and perseverance could overcome the indomitable world in time. But the blind hunter saw things differently. For him, a city was less sanctuary and more wasteland -- an open sea was an apt metaphor. In the wilds all things had their definition, their distinction, distance with connection and liberty of flow... but here, where the masses huddled against the cold in boxes carved from the bones of the earth, the sinews of the land, and the flesh of the soil, that was lost. The wilds were to him a painting in a thousand colors and a thousand shades -- the city knew only one color, the color of people, punctuated only sparsely by tints of tame animals and tiny spots of nature that "progress" had yet to stamp out. He was adrift in this place, lost on a sea of humanity that roiled with thought and emotion, swelled with fear and pride and longings. Part of him yearned to flee back into the trees, to wait out all of this like a bear huddles in the dark until thaw.

But that would not be so. He had been on the run from mage-hunters too long, ever eluding them under branch and hollow, but this could not last forever. His mind still remembered the darkness, the void around his last pursuer. The Mordecai had almost had him... no, hiding alone would no longer suffice.

War called. The hunter would find what succour he could from it.

The cold bit at his skin and whirled his hair with each slight gust, but he did not reach out to still it. Every reminder of the living, green world, even the chill ones, reassured him in this place. At length, by following those whose colors simmered with the anticipation of bloodshed or coin he found his way to where the gathering was taking place. There was anticipation in the air; he had heard that the Duke was to rally those willing for some cause, and that was good enough. Caleb guessed it had not yet started, though perhaps at any --

"Good people of the Duchy of Turgall!"

And so it began. Caleb listened attentively -- not merely to the Duke but also to the crowd, to all his surroundings. He was a stranger to getherings like this, unsure what to think or expect. He shied to the edges of the crowd, stepping carefully, finally finding himself a wall against which to lean, and directed his full attentions outward. He could feel the emotions of the crowd swell and steadied himself against it.

A captured sister -- declared mage and imprisoned. It fit. He knew enough to know that people fought for those closest to them, as his own parents had struggled for his sake. But the Duke of Ahjfeld's refusal... what was he implying with that? To what level would this conflict grow? A gathering like this was not convened idly he imagined; blood was to be spilled, sides taken, lives lost.

Caleb frowned. He had found his hopeful prospect... and it was just as grim as he'd suspected it would be. A devil's deal, this.

"Up north..." Caleb murmured under his breath. There, on the edge of the world, the land was hard and cold, the bones of the earth jutting out in great spires that reached heavenward. He had never been himself, but had heard tell of snow-covered mountains and fields of frost. It was not a... pleasant thought, going there. Still...

Still, freedom and safety would not come cheaply. He would have to win them.

He would have to fight. But first he would listen... and see whether this battle was truly to be his.

Nomad

With the arrival of the Duke, Novak knew things would be starting any moment now and he would find the reason he had been brought here and with any luck the one that will keep him here. As the duke begins to speak Novak remains silent and listens to the man while he addresses the people that had gathered first.

Listening to the man, Novak got the impression that he wished to captivate the hearts and minds of those who had gathered here with the speech he is giving. However Novak knew of only one reason that had brought him to this gathering, the thought of riches that it would bring him. Though the details did not matter as much to him, as he listens Novak gets an idea of why this man had called together so many soldiers and mercenaries. He sought to free his sister from her captors, which was something Novak seen as a good cause, at least to a point, family was of importance to some.

" Well.. " Novak grumbles lightly to himself as he mulls over what the Duke has said thus far. He did not know how much was in it for him but given what the man had said thus far, it would stand to reason that he would be willing to pay a great deal for the release of his sister or aid in her release.

Alegretto

Tertius had gotten close enough for his old ears to be able to Blaith's speech, though the general was still mired in the crowd. The Duke's words confirmed the bleak news that the general had already gotten through messenger. Kella a prisoner and political release unlikely.

He sighed. He'd hoped against hope, but no, war was probable. And he would be a part of it, ordering Connlaothians to fight Conblaothians. He hated it. Still, he'd do anything for the twins, just like he knew that Blaith would do anything for his sister.

He stood, waiting to hear if Blaith had anything more to say and considering the best route from the square to the gates of the palace. The guards would let him in, he had the letter, and from there he could get to Blaith. He was going to need a full update on the situation.

visualspice

Blaith raised a hand and the crowd went silent again. Though for a moment, he did not speak as Igna held a breath. She didn't want to miss what he was about to say, and for the moment, the rest of the world around her did not exist.

"To let the Duke of Ajhfeld know I am not taking kindly to his... denial, I plan to march into Ahjfeld myself, with the backing of the entire Turgall army." He paused a moment, hard eyes moving through the crowd. "But it won't just be the army that is helping me, but I've asked many men willing to fight for this cause to come here today. For this fight is not just about the money, or even just about my sister- but about the ignorance cast upon this country and those too blind, they'll follow. Too long our country has been at war, too long have we all been treated like dogs. It's time we remind the Grand Duke his word is not law- but it was our joint efforts that secured hm the throne, and it is our duty to withdraw if we see fit. Well.."

He gave a dark smile towards the crowd.

"This is the official announcement of our withdrawl from the war. Turgall will no longer support the Grand Duke, or his new laws- and we will go into Ahjfeld and let their duke know- we are not those weaklings they always believed us to be- that even a small duchy cane have it's voice heard above the winds. So if you are with me, if you are desiring change- then come- march with me unto Ahjfeld- and help me make a difference in this war- a Fight to end this unnecessary blood shed for good!"

At the end of his speech, Igna found herself unable to hide the small smile that formed upon her lips as brown eyes remained latched onto their Duke as the crowd began to roar. Blaith was not the only one tired of the war- and Turgall, being the most lenient duchy towards the mages, was finally happy their duke was going to take action. It was just unfortunate his sister had to be the catalyst.

Too long had Igna seen the suffering of men. It was time to make a difference. It was time to take up arms.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Wicked Basket

"One step closer to the end," Jacen muttered softly.

Jacen turned to Igna and spoke to her.

"Now you will get to see a mage camp firsthand. Then you will understand why I'm here."

So, this Duke was on their side. This was a big plus for the mages. If the duchies themselves start turning against the Grand Duke, then there is no way he could keep the war going any longer. Now it was just a question of whether or not Turgall would knock over the next domino.

visualspice

Igna was taken back by Jacen's words.
"He made no mention of visiting the camps.. Perhaps he can still speak peacefully to the Duke in person. There are other ways in dealing with... complications other than simply fighting. He might change his mind with an entire army backing our Duke when he arrives."

Though she had a feeling- if when they marched into Ajhfeld- there would only be one option. She pressed her lips together and turned around to survey the masses. The castle square had grown too boisterous for her. It hurt her head, and she felt a bit dizzy for it. Perhaps it was just too much to take in. And where had General Cornelius gone? There was still the matter of Jacen's fate to be dealt wth- but she had a feeling.. if he was a supporter of this cause, he might be saved from serving any time in prison.

Wicked Basket

Jacen put a hand on Igna's shoulder.

"You look a bit dizzy. You feeling alright? Maybe you should sit down."

While it was only polite to offer his assistance, he couldn't deny that he did care for her well-being. He owed her for giving her such a hard time before. That's what he kept telling himself anyway.

visualspice

Igna stiffened and jerked her shoulder away from his hand. She gave him a surprised look before her gaze narrowed.
"I'm fine."
It seemed the gesture was enough to cement her as she shook off the dizzying sensation from her mind. Though she was still reeling abit from the crowds reaction, as she noted the Duke making a few concluding words, she watched as he returned towards his castle and only then did she note the General among the men. Too bad he was half way across this sea of men. She bit her lip and took a sharp hold of Jacen's wrist.

"Come on. Let's see what the General has to say about your actions now." And she moved forward, hoping to pull Jacen along.

Wicked Basket

"Ow! Not so rough," Jacen said as Igna yanked on his wrist.

Her grip was surprisingly strong, and painful. Nothing quite like being pulled through a crowd of burly men by some woman. This wasn't at all embarrassing.

"Ok, ok. I'm sorry I asked. I'll leave you to your dizziness next time."

Nomad

As Blaith raised his hand Novak glances around for a brief moment as the crowed around him falls silent. Novak shifts his gaze around, glancing to some of the people in the crowed before turning his gaze back to Blaith as he begins to speak. Trough the speech Blaith gave Novak keeps is attention resting on the man while he listens. Though he listens Novak knew he did not have to really listen to what the man had to say, the reason for him being here was a simple one rather then some of the other people that had gathered.

However Novak knew he could not say his only reason for being here was the coin it would put into his pocket. No he also enjoyed the thrill of battle, that was another reason he had come to pledge his skills to aid these people in there fight.

With the speech coming to an end Novak drops his gaze from Blaith and glances to Igna and Jacen for a moment. They still had to deal with the unruly riflemen or at least Igna had to deal with him.  As Jacen speaks up Novak turns his gaze to the man for a moment, a soft and brief chuckle escaping him at Jacen's comment.

For a moment Novak lifts his attention from the two and glances around once again, his gaze slowly scanning over the crowed from his vantage point. If it did come down to fighting Novak wondered how many real soldiers would be willing to go up against there own countrymen. It was easy for a man only in it for coin however when you are someone going up against your brother or neighbor things got more complicated. Dropping his gaze back to the two after they had begun to move, Novak lets out a soft grumble and begins to follow after them as Igna leads the way towards the General.

Nascent

Caleb found it... ironic, that the duke would describe his adversaries as blind. He wondered if perhaps he would grasp the irony should the two of them ever converse, though that was neither here or there. What was here was exactly what the blind hunter had expected:

The ambitions of men. The claims of moral authority. The absurd notion of ending bloodshed with more of it. This, then, was war, in all it's "glory".

And Caleb Draves would be partaking; necessity had left him little choice. He had hunted, and now was hunted in turn; to achieve peace he would hunt again, this time soldiers and commanders instead of beasts, feeding into the cycle of hate, distrust, and malevolence as it turned upon itself. It was as though the world of humanity could not turn without being lubricated by blood... and, perhaps, that was true. Nature may have been red in tooth and claw, indeed, but it took only what it needed and gave back the same. Mankind was wasteful and greedy, taking more than they ought and leaving despoiled what failed to suit them. He sighed and hung his head at the thought.

There was murmuring in the crowds, hushed but excited, energized by the duke's words. Bits and pieces drifted into and out of focus, like a whirlwind making its way amongst a hundred-thousand tree branches.

"...in Ahjfeld. I'm not sure, but that's what I heard from..."

"... see a mage camp firsthand. Then you will ..."

"...my son. That sword's been rusting on the mantle-place too long, and now..."

"...rumors regarding the Grand Duke. Perhaps this really is and opportunity to..."

"...in person. There are other ways in dealing with..."

"... Ansgar's way, a voice to each of us. If he won't heed Duke Harmond with an army at his back then..."

A hundred voices with a hundred opinions, but the Duke would weave them all into the fabric of his aims. Those without weapons would surely find them, those with strength would muster it, and upon the wintry fields the truth of Duke Harmond's words would be tested. Abandoning the wall, Caleb made his way through the crowd, intent to figure out his next step, when one of the voices -- one relatively close by -- caught his attention.

"Come on. Let's see what the General has to say about your actions now."

A General -- a commander of men and leader of armies. Caleb's ears perked. If an arrangement for his peace and protection could be made, it would be through such a one; what's more, he knew his talents would be wasted -- likely along with his life -- were he to recruit as simple infantry. The blind hunter wasn't here to throw away his life, but to save it... and a General would know the value of a talented scout, hopefully. Finding the voice's source amidst the sea of humanity, he followed Igna and the pulled-along Jacen through the crowd.

Anadwen

Artemis was nearly skipping on his tiptoes as Blaith went on with his speech. Yes! They'll march!

For freedom, for the rights of all men, be they mages or not, to end this... Oppression... He gritted his teeth to stop a cheer, and stepped out of the crowd, searching for an opportunity to get to the Duke without being noticed by any nosy bystanders. He was suspicious enough as he was, especially with the stolen armour...

Slipping back among the people that stood around, he began finding his way through the crowd, but it was indeed complicated, as the metal plates and chains kept getting caught on everything around. People were often turning at the poor elf that tried to pass without being noticed with disapproving glances - that was, until he accidentally tripped over someone.

It was the same girl again, the pale-haired soldier, who he fell right onto, or almost right onto, as he managed to turn aside and stop himself from knocking her over, instead falling head and hands first onto the stone tiles. He was regretting that he took that armour more and more - falling onto the sharp edges of the metal plates was more than painful.

Alegretto

Tertius was diverted from his mental routing by the sight of the female soldier he had sent out earlier leading the insubordinate soldier with the rifle. He also saw the big man was trailing behind them, though the blind figure behind him escaped the general's notice.

Tertius smiled and raised his hand in greeting. He moved towards the pair, and was about to start speaking when a man, clad awkwardly in armor, almost slammed into her. He managed by some contortion to avoid the impact, but his efforts left him sprawled on the ground in a heap, right in front of Tertius. The general looked down at the man with surprise.

"Need some help there son?" The general asked, bemused. He extended one arm so that he could help the fellow up.