Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Children of War

Started by Zero, February 26, 2014, 12:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

For Lion, maybe?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lillian was surrounded by a crowd of children with thread-bare clothing, little faces smudged with dirt and grime, and little hands held out expectantly. Considering the state of them all, it was a wonder they were being so well-behaved, another well-to-do person might have found themselves half-mobbed by the hungry crowd, but not Miss Coleridge. For her there was barely contained excitement and patient lines of eager children.

The satchels she'd brought emptied very quickly, the loaves of bread being broken and passed around to the waiting children, as well as the little treats of both sweet and tart fruits and berries. Sometimes the young lady even brought sweets for them, but unfortunately not today. When the food ran out there was a chorus of disappointment, but the children began to shuffle away and before long they were laughing and playing through the streets.

Jade eyes watched them leave, a soft smile crossing her lips, before it turned to a frown. There were so many of them, each week it seemed there were more. The war had made more orphans than she cared to think about. Stepping inside the old, worn building she dropped off a small purse of silver and copper coins. It wasn't much, but it was accepted graciously, and she uncomfortably slipped away from the gushing praise. Too few were helping, the building needed repairs, and the children never had enough to eat.

Chewing on her bottom lip as she wandered down the streets of Reajh, Lillian contemplated what she could do. When the Grand Duke didn't seem to care about how badly the war was affecting his people, it seemed kind of a hopeless battle to fight. Perhaps she should write to her father, beg him for a more sizable donation. She was paid well for being a Knight of the White Lily, but not enough to make a large difference – although any difference at all was something, she supposed.

Her soft grey boots made light scuffing noises on the cobblestones as she walked along, idly staring up at the buildings she passed. There was a tailor nearby, maybe she would stop in there and order more clothes. She thought longingly about a beautiful gown, but she'd never get a chance to actually wear it, sighing she glanced down at her dark leggings and quilted dove-grey tunic embroidered with the white lily of the holy order of the Adhara. It wasn't as if these were horrible clothes, she just missed feeling girly and dainty in her silk dresses and gowns.

Lion

To think that a war could ravage a country, each side hell bent on proving their cause that they never bothered to look back on the ashes of their fires.  It broke a heart, to see that those that really suffered in the war were often ones that had no real part in it. 

While the abode of Jude Armand was nestled away into the nicer parts of the city, it didn't stop him from thinking about that notion on occasion.  It didn't keep him up at nights, for there were always greater things on his mind, but he admitted it was a part of him.  That though he didn't yet fight in this war that raged on and on, in a way they were all a part of it.  He tried to make a difference, however much he could, in all the small discreet ways he could, helping an old man here, an invalid once in a while, aiding a mage in getting out of the city.

Y'know, small stuff.

Donations to the Church weren't really an option.  Jude didn't put much stock in Ansgar, or the people that served in his name.  That and the fact that he never did feel quite at home in the house of the pure and the innocent, being neither of those things.  And really, just how much good did the Church do after skimming from the pot to line their own pockets?

Jude need some time away from everything, from his townhouse, from the soirees, the parties, the drinks, the gossip, a moment to reflect on why anything mattered at all in the face of what this war stood for.  He wondered if the Grand Duke ever really walked around his city, looked at it for what it was, what it was filled with, that it's exterior held none of the gold that it claimed to behold; that it nothing more than a gilded surface, a concealment of the dark and gritty, no less vapid than the clients he served in the cloak of night.

He knew the orphanage on Valkan street rather well, and the headmistress there was a personal friend of his.  Olivya Vanquist was a small slender woman, with graying black hair and bright brown eyes that lit up when she cared for the children of her hall.  She had married, once, but never again after her husband had died from cholera ten years prior.  They both had cared for the children here for the past twenty-five years, and Olivya vowed to continue doing so until the day she died.

Jude could admire her selflessness, for it was certainly more than he could ever claim to possess, and when he could, he made his way to the orphanage to help out once in a great while.  But those visits were becoming scarcer and scarcer.  So when he made his down the street, he seemed to stand out in his fine clothes, a pleated overcoat atop a light beige jacket and white pressed shirt, tucked well in a matching waistcoat and fine brown leather boots.  Well, so what if he was visiting one of the shadier parts of the city, there was no reason he couldn't dress nice.  He could take care of himself after all.

Suddenly there was a ruckus in the street and a guard was rushing down the road hot on the heels of a child with nothing more than a loaf of bread in his hands.  As they rushed passed Jude, he reached out an arm and snatched the boy by this dirty shirt.  "Now there, you know better than to run away from the law, lad," he muttered and the guard had to skirt out of the way to not bump into them.

The guard fixed his helm and approached, his face red from the run.  "You come here you little urchin, before I tan your hide!"

"No, lemme go! Lemme go!" the boy said, trying to no avail to yank himself from Jude's grip. 

"Now, sir, you don't have to do that.  I'll pay for the bread, likely the lad was just hungry," he murmured, looking at the guard just as he reached for the child.

"And who the hell are you?  Do you know this child?"

"Of course I know him!  He's my ward!  I was observing the side windows when I lost track of him is all.  I didn't realize he'd get into so much trouble, but that's no reason to threaten him," Jude remarked. 

"Then what's his name?"

"Tobias."

The boy glared up at Jude but said nothing, still wriggling in his grasp.

"Oh yeah?  How old is he?"  The guard narrowed his eyes at Jude and crossed his arms over his chest.

"He's approximately 8 or 9 years old.  His mother was a drunken whore, was murdered by a fool who didn't want to pay.  I was a friend of the family and decided to take him in.  It's hard to say really, for he does all he can to get out of my sight.  You were a boy once, don't you remember?  But it's a mistake I won't make again.  Sorry, sir.  Please take this gold for the bread.  He won't cause any more trouble."  Jude glared down at the child to play along and shook him a bit and the child just blinked at him but still said nothing.

He just hoped the guard would buy it.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

Lillian had been composing the letter she wished to write to her father in her head, working out the proper wording and sentiments. Some might have thought polite formalities in a letter to one's own father might be odd, but it wasn't a personal letter, it was a business one, and would be expected to be presented as such. She was almost satisfied with her proposal about donations to orphanages in Reajh when there was a sudden commotion.

Turning her head she barely caught sight of the young boy rushing past her followed by a guard. What was this now? Passively she watched as the boy was caught by a well-dressed gentleman, and then there appeared to be some form of argument going on. Normally she wouldn't interfere with a guard's work on sheer principle, but something wasn't sitting right with her as she strolled casually within hearing range.

Jade eyes roamed over the boy, taking note of his scruffy appearance, and then moved to the man holding to the boy's clothing. Well wasn't he a pretty one? Just taking careful stock of the differences in clothing between the man and boy, she'd be willing to bet that the child was no ward of anyone, let alone someone so finely dressed.

Despite not being in her armor, Lillian didn't hesitate to walk over with all the authority she could muster. "Excuse me, but there seems to be a problem here. It seems to me that this boy is being accused of stealing bread, and yet I wonder if there is a witness that saw such a crime or if you simply saw a poor boy with a loaf of bread in his hand and assumed that he'd stolen it."

"Mind your own business you –" The guard's words were choked off as he turned to look at the young woman, his tongue seeming to suddenly tie itself into knots as his eyes bulged at the sight of the white lily. It only took a moment for him to regain himself and bristle with impatience. "This is a guard matter, not a military one, so push off."

Lillian thought she heard him mutter something about stupid girls playing with swords under his breath, and her green eyes narrowed. Yes, women weren't typically used for soldiers, but Knights of the White Lily were the exception, and were at the height of military power. She was practically one of the Grand Duke's personal guards. Her order answered directly to Calent – and no one else. Certainly not to some ignorant guardsman that liked to bully people.

"You are harassing two of his grace's citizens, one of which appears to be quite affluent, and a second that I am vouching for. The boy didn't steal anything. That bread was given to him not five minutes ago." Was he one of the orphans she'd just given bread to? It was hard to say, there were just so many of them.

"By who?"

"Me." The word came out sweet as cream, but the hard edge to her eyes dared him to challenge or question her. Here she had just accused him of using his authority to bully someone and she was doing the same to him, but in this instance, she felt it was justified.

Lion

Jude's eyes narrowed the newcomer that thought it was prudent of her to take his business and make it her business.  He had the situation perfectly under control until she came along.  He was quite certain the troublesome guard would just turn on his hooves and take his donkey ass out of here.  All he needed was a good bribe, maybe a bit of charming - which of course Jude was an expert with.  Despite his initial frowning, he did not say anything to interrupt her.

In fact, his eyes were too busy looking at her chest and the crest that lay upon it.  Well, after the rise and fall of her breasts.  Whether a knight or a bar wench, Jude always appreciated the beauty of a fine form.  He hid his smirk well as he observed the crest of her order so obviously presented on her chest.  What was a Knight of the White Lily doing way out here in the filth and slums of the capital?  Shouldn't they be out rounding up mages like cattle for the slaughter?

Jude's expression was placid midst his thoughts as he observed the exchange between the guards and the Knight.  His eyes were quick and saw the flash of indignation in the man's eyes as his arms went uncrossed and his gloved hands gripped against the weapon at his side.  But he forced himself to relax and he gave a frustrated sigh.  "Very well," he growled.  "But if I catch that urchin again, I don't care how old he is, I'll haul him into the dungeon myself.  And I'll enjoy every bit of it."

The guard turned on his heel and cast Jude a dirty look as he passed him.  But before he could, Jude tossed the cold coin for the bread which the guard caught, though was clearly taken aback.  "For the trouble," he said, smirking smartly.

But guard tossed it to the ground kept walking.  The boy, on the other hand, observed the coin and after Jude let go of him, he discreetly reached for the coin, plucking it up and holding it tightly in his hand before slipping it into his pocket.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

[So bad. x.x]

Lillian was the picture of calm assurance while dealing with the guard, but once he walked away she lifted an arm to wipe her forehead with her sleeve. The action would suggest she hadn't been so sure of herself as she'd seemed. She honestly hadn't been sure he wouldn't put up more of a fight with her. It was one thing to have all the commanding presence of a lady, quite another to be a Knight and be expected to back up her words with force when necessary. Of course it was absurd to think a guard would have gotten into a fight with her. Though his hands had gone to his weapon.

Ansgar she hated this bloody city. Five years in this wretched place, surrounded by the fools that Calent liked to keep about him and it was enough to put even her on edge. Honor and duty before all else, she supposed. Jade eyes had watched the boy pocket the gold coin the guard had refused to accept, but she didn't move to stop him. Frankly, if Mr. Fancypants was willing to throw a gold coin at a guard, and it had ended up on the ground, then the kid could have it for all she cared.

"Lying to guards is rude, and illegal. If he had half a brain beneath that helmet he'd have known you were lying through your teeth about that boy being your ward."

Lion

At the knowledge that the Knight of the White Lily willing chose to take it upon herself to speak to him, Jude turned his head slowly and regarded her with a quirked brow.  "I didn't lie to the man.  I was simply stretching the truth for the sake of an urchin.  I've seen the boy hanging around Miss Vanquist's orphanage on occasion.  He must be new however.  Do you suggest that I let the boy get dragged off for a piece of bread?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Of course not, it was a bit of a noble gesture." Lillian wouldn't have wanted to see the boy get in trouble, but maybe she really had given him the bread. She was admonishing him for lying but the truth was she hadn't really known if the boy had stolen the scrap of food or not. That made her about as guilty as he was in that matter. "Perhaps in this case the ends justified the means."

Time for a change of subject.

"Do you know Miss Vanquist, then? I was just there, lovely woman. A pity about how poor her establishment is doing. With the war there aren't enough orphanages and the ones we do have aren't well funded and are overcrowded."

Lion

Furthering the talk of Miss Vanquist was certainly preferable to talking of guards, nobility, and the theft of bread, which Jude quickly found would make for a very boring first introduction, likely rife with tension for the law it seemed the woman wished to uphold, and the lie Jude would continue to perpetuate.  He smirked nonetheless, observing the woman's expression, his own comfortable and confident.

But never overly confident.

"That I do, in fact.  I was just on my way over there now.  I like to pay a visit once in a while.  Make a donation, see the children.  You are right about this war...  But who would dare speak a word of it to the Grand Duke?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Yes, that always was the problem, wasn't it? Just who would be willing to approach the Grand Duke about such subjects as the troubles of the people? Well, Lillian knew of at least a few options, and she was going to put them to good use. "My father would speak to him about it, as would the Grand Duchess, I'm sure her grace would be sympathetic to suffering children."

Lillian faltered there a moment, remembering that the Grand Duchess had lost a young child. She couldn't imagine how that would feel - for a mother it must have been a living hell. Perhaps not a letter for her, she was sure she could gain an audience with her Kathryn. Even if it was under the guise of visiting her sister-in-law Valia. That thought left a sour taste in her mouth. It was disgraceful that her brother's wife would be sitting pretty in the Grand Duke's Palace instead of at home by her husband's side.

"At any rate, you're quite generous for giving your time and money to those in need, Mr. ...?"

Lion

Was it generosity?  Was it truly selflessness?  Or was it all to make himself look good?  Playing the good Samaritan, like so many of the nobles did when they play-acted that they did their duty and served their people as demanded of them in their oaths.  Perhaps instead it was just a painted veil, that Jude told himself that he actually cared just as a vacant, last minute, attempt to save his own soul from eternal damnation. 

Or whatever really lay on the other side.

Not that he cared.  But he lived in the now.  This moment, this life, was what was important, without a thought to the end of that life.  If he didn't care about those that were left behind, then who would.

"Armand," he answered steadily, extending a hand for her to take, carefully ungloved as it were despite the cold and so that they shook palm to palm, as a show of equability between two strangers; and he half expected her to do the same..  "Jude Armand.  And who do I have the pleasure of making an acquaintance with, o writer of letters, knight of the lily?"  He gave her a small, clever smirk.  "Just what difference could your father make in the lives of these small citizens in our pleasant Capital?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Now why did that name sound familiar? Lillian took off her glove and shook his offered hand with a mild look of amusement. Normally a gentleman would have taken her hand and kissed it. Then again, she could hardly fault him for a handshake instead. After all, she was a Knight first, and a Lady second now. It wasn't as if there was an indication that she was anything more than just another Knight of the While Lily.

"I dare say that my father could make quite a difference if he wanted to, Mr. Armand." A faint smile crossed her lips. "My name is Lillian Coleridge, and I think I've heard of you before. Don't you frequent the parties of the nobility? Your name sounds familiar."

Lion

Oh, but he did kiss it.  But always made a point to feel someone's hand - particularly a lady's - first before doing so.  Jude pressed his lips to the tops of her knuckles and bowed his head like a proper gentleman first before letting it go.  He tilted his head and raised a brow curiously at her recognition.

"Oh is that so?" he said with a small smile of his own.  "I suppose my name would pass around in higher circles.  I'm a bit of a business man myself, and having upper-class clients certainly helps keep my business lucrative.  From the sound of it, you must come from a noble family yourself.  The Coleridges are good people from what I've heard, Lady Lillian, forgive me if I'm a little more casual than I ought to be."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

A grin crossed Lillian's lips when he did kiss her hand, she hadn't thought he was going to do it. Ah, well served her right for assuming, her father always had warned about assuming things. Generally it didn't end well and sometimes you could look a right fool basing anything off of assumptions.

From the sound of it? There was only one family that bore the name Coleridge, and that was the ruling family of Orchy. While she did have distant cousins, the family was small and only her father and siblings bore the family name. She arched a brow slightly at him, though her smile didn't slip.

"I don't mind the casualness, it's not like we're at court with dozens of eyes watching every move we make." That thought brought a slight fidget to her. One of the first things you learned as the daughter of a duke - someone was always watching and listening. "And I do like to think my family are good people."

Lion

Jude's smile only grew at her acceptance of his casualty and he relaxed a little, from a breathless sigh.  He shrugged a little and regloved his hand, bowed his head in due fealty.  "In all honestly, they truly are.  Your family name is always highly spoken of.  I'm afraid I've never had the opportunity until now to truly meet one and for that I'm glad to not be wrong about my observation.  Though how, may I ask, did you hear of me?  Do you frequent social gatherings of the nobility often?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Lillian followed his example and pulled her glove back over her hand, warding off the chill in the air, listening to him praise her family. Her father was very careful about his public image and the images of all of his children as well. "I'm surprised you've never met one of us, to be honest. My older brother and sister are frequently guests at fancy parties, although recently Gabriel has been more concerned with other matters."

She smiled coyly at the question of how she'd heard of him. "I'm the daughter of a duke, I'm expected to know certain things, especially things that could be useful to my father. Knowing which nobles are speaking to whom is one of those things. Names, faces, friends, enemies...I admit I was at more parties when I was younger, but even now I still warrant an invitation sometimes."

She frowned suddenly, eyes lighting up a moment later as she grinned. "Oh yes, now I remember, you're a rather accomplished whore, from what I hear."

Lion

Jude had to admit, he wondered just how long it would take for her to come around to that point.  And that look in her eyes clearly amused him, as much as it seemed to strain her expression.  A brow raised and he gave a modest shrug.  "That would be the most blunt fashion to put it," he said with a nod.  "I prefer Man-for-Hire.  It has a touch of class to it.  But, while I wouldn't want to toot my own horn, I do quite well for myself, yes."

He smirked a little and laughed, feeling as if this would be just the right moment for a blush to come on, but his cheeks remained clear of any redness.  "I hope that won't put a damper on our acquaintanceship.  I see you are clearly a Knight of the White Lily.  I hope my mere presence won't soil your immaculate reputation."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Lillian was grinning, rather pleased with herself for figuring it out. If the fact that he was a 'Man-For-Hire' bothered her, it wasn't apparent. His profession really wasn't her concern. Her half-brother's mother was a prostitute, after all, and she'd never been squeamish about that. "Call it whatever you like, you still sell your body to men and women who are less than satisfied with their spouses. Your clients just happen to have a lot of money."

She rocked on the balls of her feet a moment, hands clasped behind her back as she laughed softly at him. "My immaculate reputation is determined only by my own actions, not by the presence of another. Your choice in business practice reflects upon you, not me."

A sudden thought struck her and she giggled, jade eyes flashing mischievously. "Though perhaps you should meet my sister, unlike me, she's not bound by vows of chastity, and she could probably use your services, might make her more agreeable!" Her brothers would have had their eyes popping out of their heads to hear her say something like that. Gabriel would blame Cyrus' influence. Maybe she had just been hanging out with knights and soldiers for too long.

Lion

Jude genuinely laughed at her words, whether she was jesting or not.  "I'll keep that in mind, or try to anyway.  Though I don't normally do business like this," he said, playing along.  "I'm sure if she comes to it, we'll find a way to take care of her little problem.  In any case, I'm glad I bumped into someone with such a wonderful sense of humor.  Would you like to have tea with me?  There's a lovely little café down the street form here, just a few blocks up north.  Do Knight of the Lily even go out for tea?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Of course she was kidding. Well, mostly. Cyrus said there wasn't much that was more relaxing than a nice romp, and her sister was always grumpy and tense, so by logic, it would be good for her, yeah? Her half-brother wasn't the only one that she'd heard similar statements from either. "Oh Ansgar help me if she ever found out I said that!" Lillian giggled, not sounding at all repentant.

"Not very often, and usually with other White Lilies, sometimes Mordecai, but we do occasionally leave the barracks for things other than duty, hard as that may be to believe." She teased with a playful smile. Perhaps she wasn't serious and grumpy all the time like some of her fellow adhara, but she couldn't help being who she was. "Besides how could I turn down such a lovely invitation? I'd adore a cup of tea, especially if it comes so highly recommended."

Lion

"Forgive my ignorance, but it is in fact, hard to believe.  I think most people find it safe to assume that most Mordecai and Knights of your order simply stand at attention until further notice.  I'm afraid I was one of those ignorant few until today.  Thank you for that small piece of enlightenment.  I've always said, one should never stop learning.  You never know what might surprise you," he said.

With that he bowed and turned to walk beside her, his hands clasped behind his back.  "It is indeed a fabulous cup of tea.  The café is seeing a bit of hard times, but many business are in these times around us, but there so far hasn't been a noticeable change in the service or delicacies they afford their patrons.  Oh!  I nearly forgot.  I'm not sure if you do this either, but I suppose it would be rude of me not to offer."  He pointed out his elbow toward her, offering her his arm like any proper gentleman would.  And should for that matter.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: