Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hell or Highwater [M]

Started by visualspice, March 21, 2014, 11:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Her own tears froze for a moment at the gesture, but then she realized she knew not why she was even here.
"How... how did I get here?" The past few hours were nothing but a blur to her- a ghost of nightmares, haunting her within the back of her mind.

It was only here Leif cleared his throat as he approached.

"I brought you here."

At hearing her brother's voice, she whirled around with a gasp.

"L-Leif!?" Her brother only nodded towards her as she stared at him in disbelief.

"Things... were complicated," he said, peering at the two before glancing away. "I needed to take you some place safe. And this was the only place I could think of."
Well,t he only person left he believed, at least, his sister could trust.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"You both arrived only a short while ago, and we took you in as soon as possible," Merric said softly.  "You were unconscious and I tried to make you as comfortable as possible....  Attie, Leif told me what happened...."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Attie's eyes wavered, her lips gaping and she, unable to say anything at all.

Leif looked from his sister, then to Merric.
"Attie.... can you recall what happened?"

And at those words, a few tears rolled down her cheeks before her face wrinkled in anger.
"Yes.." she breathed. "I remember everything."

"Then you understand what a severe predicament you are in if the church finds you?"

Her eyes never once left Merric's, hot tears still spilling down her cheeks.
"And so you've given me to the church," she whispered, feeling herself trembling even as she spoke those words.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Merric's hands went instinctively to her eyes and he wiped her tears away.  "No.  No, your brother brought me here to protect you. And I will.  That much I know I can deliver, Attalia.  You're safe here, safe now, with me," Mercuxio whispered, knowing the desperation was apparent in his words.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Attie's eyes were wild, angry and afraid.
"But how, Merric?" She was still trembling, still crying. "What makes here safer than anywhere else?"

Lion

"Because I'm here to make sure of it," Merric said steadily.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"And so will I," Leif added, stepping forward towards the pair. "Attie, what has happened... what you've done, no.. what they've made you do, is only just the beginning. They know you're out there, and now that they've sniffed out where you've been hiding, there's no place else I can think of safer. If you're already within the church..."A nd here he looked at Merric. "They'll fail to look under their noses. And if something does happen... even Ansgar himself will regret it."

Lion

Merric would excuse the blasphemy in this chapel of God.  Under the circumstances, he was almost sure even the Abbot here would excuse it, if with pressure from Merric.  He held Attie's hand fiercely and his expression was no less grave. "Attalia, what happened?  What can you remember?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Attalia trembled beneath his attention.
"It's all a confusing blur. I... I think I need to rest." And it was here, as Attie looked up tiredly into his gaze, Leif did too.

"Yes, perhaps, if you would not mind, we both ought to rest up here. Come morning, we'll both be more refreshed to give a better recount of the situation," her brother said.

Lion

Mercuxio loosened his grip on her hand, and let go of it after he pat it.  "Yes, perhaps that would be for the best and you may stay here at the chapel.  It is very small, but I think the infirmary here will be a suitable guest room for the moment.  I can bring you more blankets to make you comfortable," he said and rose to get them.  "Just a moment."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

While Mercuxio left to fetch up blankets, Leif stayed behind with his sister, and long after the man had left, he bent down beside her, taking her hand.

"How are you feeling?"

Turning to him, Attie gave her brother a tired smile.
"Exhausted."

"You know, if you don't feel comfortable..."

"No," Attie said, halting her brother right there. Her green eyes met to his. "I know this is the best place I can be. And you've done so much for me already, to protect me." She took the hand that held hers now and squeezed it. "Trust him, as I have done. I would not have fallen in love with him other wise."

After a moment of silence, her brother gave a short nod before finding himself compelled to hold her tightly.
"Gods, Attie.... don't you worry. I'll make this all right." And upon hearing her soft sobs, he hugged her tighter, his eyes only raising when he heard someone enter the room.

Lion

It was a brother clad in plain brown robes.  It was stretched wool, itchy to look at, but they didn't seem to bother the young man as he stepped into the infirmary.  He peered at the pair with big brown eyes and held in his hands a plate of bread and cheese and some berries from the garden.  "Father Merric said to offer you some nourishment.  We do not have much, but I hope this will suffice," he said with a bow of his head, setting the plate on the beside table and leaving just as quietly as he came.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif gave a nod while Attie replied with a hoarse, "Thank you." But as she turned to her brother, she smiled at him and said, "You should eat some. I am not hungry."

Lion

Mercuxio returned with the fresh blankets and pillows and gestured to the food.  "Both of you eat, please.  It may not be much, but you've both traveled long and far, you'll need your strength."  He set out the blankets on another cot, and took spares onto Attalia's bed, propping another pillow behind her. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

The siblings ate what they could, and considering they were not offered much, when they both started eating, they were able to eat just about it all. Once that was settled, Leif got right down to business.

"I'll have to leave before the morning."

His sister perked up.

"So soon?"

"Yes," he replied with an agitated sigh. "If I'm gone for too long... some might... talk."

Lion

Mercuxio watched Leif specutively, eyeing his garb, his stance, his haggard look, and remembering the speed and desperation at which he brought Attalia here.  Leif was a nobleman, as was his sister.  He had duties to attend to, responsibilities, many of which would have mirrored Merric's own had he not joined the Church.  And yet he was away.  From what he could gauge, it must have been quite a distance, and in some place where he found his sister would be grave danger, so as to rescue her.

Merric found the pieces odd, but there was something off about Leif that Merric hadn't before thought to put his finger on.  Until now.  His haste...such haste in light of such recent events.  But he said nothing and Mercuxio was thankful his expression remained placid and concerned for Attalia, as the moment truly required.

He knelt beside the woman and put a warm hand over hers.  Then he looked up at Leif.  "It's all right.  You can leave her here if you like.  I can take care of her," he said.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Leif spared a glance to Attie, then back to Mercuxio.
"Are you sure it's alright? That she'll be safe here? I know it's a big inconvenience... but-"

And he paused when he saw Attie smiling, despite all she had been through.

"Do not worry about me, Leif. I trust Merric, and you can to. And if I become an inconvenience, I'm sure I can take care of myself," she went on with a sigh and reached out to take Leif's hand.
"Thank you," she said, giving it a squeeze. "But you don't have to keep watch over me every day, every hour. I'll be fine. Those who'll look for me.... well, this place is clever. They'll never think to find me here."

Lion

"You're sister will be safe here," Merric said, eyes softening when he looked at her.  Then he glanced to Leif.  "I will keep her safe.  This is a small abbey.  In fact I'm surprised even you found it."  He extended his hand to Leif to shake.  "Don't worry.  She's in good hands."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

As much as he loathed to do so, after a moment of hesitation, he shook Mercuxio's hand firmly, his gaze never leaving his.
"That's good to hear. And you'd best be sure, I'm keeping you to your word."

Attie smiled at the pair of them before speaking up, "Might I have a look around the abbey? I have a feeling I'll be here for a while. And it would be nice to see this place... if I may."

But before Merric could respond, Leif cut in with an authoritative no. He released a frustrated breath. "Or what I mean to say is, you need to be careful."

And at this, Attie smiled.
"Of course I know that. But don't you think it would be suspicious if I were to simply remained hauled up here?"

Leif released another frustrated breath as he looked at the pair of them.
"Fine... but you should be resting," he finally said, turning away from the pair as he continued to stew in his own anxiety. There was so much to fear in this world of war....

When would this madness end?
And when did he learn to care so much about it?

Lion

"I can take you around.  I do not mind.  But only if you feel you're rested enough to make the journey," Merric said as he rubbed his hands together.  "Are you all right?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn