Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hell or Highwater [M]

Started by visualspice, March 21, 2014, 11:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

It was only when he spoke did she sense the change in his demeanor. She stared at him for a moment before simply answering him, "Yes. If you've seen what I've seen, and have been through what I've been through... you'd know it's the only option I have left. I can't stay here."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Mercuxio turned to her, expression stern.  "And just what have you been through?" he asked.  "Tell me all about your suffering."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Attalia was surprised by this sudden change to his demeanor, and took a step back to observe him before furrowing her own brow.
"I've been experimented on, forced to have my magics 'corrupt' in an attempt to find a 'cure' for magic. And then their failed corruption has lead me to kill several people from where me and my brother just fled."
And she turned from him, trying to hide her tears.
"If you don't believe me, word will get around quickly enough- about the flood of Allar."
And here she paused before reminding him.
"That was me." And she was shaking. "And now I have to live with that on my conscience for the rest of my life. To know it was my fault so many suffered, so many were slain. I just want this to end. I don't want to be caught again, to be treated like an animal, to be raped of my humanity."

And she turned to him, tears now streaming down her face.

"And it's all thanks to the church I used to so fervently believe in. Now all I can think about is how Angsar can go to hell."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Mercuxio gave her a blank stare, but the anger never left his eyes.  He remembered the burned chapel in the city, the false door that led to the back room.  He saw the experimentation implements.  He remembered the priests body and the examination of it that followed.  He remembered Kentamin's disgust, and his own disgust in his apprentice at his failure in every endeavor.

Mercuxio sighed forcibly through his nostrils, stood and turned away from her with the basket of carrots under his arm, stepping back into the chapel.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Attalie stood there for a moment as she watched him leave in silence. He was angry? But why? Was it so upsetting she'd want to leave this place? Did he not understand the pain she had endured? She might as well have died when her funeral was made public and a grave placed in the cemetery. Now she shed tears for another reason, and lingered back to try to brush them away. No sense in having her brother see her with puffy eyes. He'd prod her to no end.

Though she could always lie and say it was the trauma-
because well...
it was.

After a moment to herself, she followed after him quietly. Perhaps it was best to say no more.

Lion

Mercuxio threw the carrots into the wash basin and scrubbed them by hand.  He was angry, livid even.  Why come to him?  Why bother telling him if he was never going to see her again anyway?  It was like picking at scab so that it would never heal properly.  He wanted to take her by the shoulders and shake her violently, anything to knock some sense into her.  But what good would that do?

Merric  turned to her at last and gave her a carrot. "You should give this to your brother.  For the road."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Attie gave a silent nod and turned from Merric, taking the carrot with her as she gave it to her brother. Though her brother's leaving was a quiet affair, Attie waited nearly half an hour staring at the road once he was gone.

Lion

It would start to rain not long after he left, and the water that poured down at Highwater Chapel was gentle at first, but Mercuxio knew it would quickly transform into a torrent.  He watched her for that time, standing outside, quietly stewing and unsure what to say.  What could he say when the only woman he had ever cared for was leaving his life forever?  What did she expect from him, when he devoted his entire life to that which she most loathed?  How could she ask him for aid he could not freely give?  He felt knotted inside, twisted up into himself that he could retch and nothing would rise up.

And yet he supposed the least he could to was give her cover from the rain.  He had a poncho in hand, leather and waxed where it was knit together and moved toward her, placing it on her shoulders quietly and the hood over her head.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

It was only after the gesture was made did she turn to him, lifting up the hood delicately on one finger as she peered up into his eyes.
"Thank you."
And she paused a moment to observe him.
"Shall we go in?" He wasn't wearing something to keep the rain waters off of him. "I'd hate it to be my fault you've gotten all wet."

Lion

"Please," Mercuxio said and gestured her to go ahead of him as he led them back into the chapel.  By now it was evening prayers and the others were likely meditating in the worship hall.  It would give them some quiet time and for that Merric was thankful.

He led her back to the kitchens and saw there was stew boiling in the hearth.  "Would you like something to eat?" he offered. "Or maybe something to drink?  Tea perhaps?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Tea would be lovely," she said, giving him a small smile.

Lion

"Very well," he said with a nod and served two small cups of steaming water.  He placed peppermint leaves in each one and blessed the with a sign he drew over then and cleaned out the leaves.  He put a dash of sugar in each and gently pushed it in front of her. 

"I remember how you used to take it," he said and smiled.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Attie released a breath and smiled.
"Even after all this time? I'm impressed. I feel its been ages since we've shared tea." And she kept her smile small and averted her gaze down to her cup.
"So... If I might ask, what do you... You know, do all day here?"

Lion

Mercuxio ducked his head, his smile forced.  "Well, It's a bit hard to share tea with someone you were sure was dead," he said and took a small sip of his own when it brewed.  He peered up and around the kitchens and tilted his head.

"Likely about what you'd expect.  We can for the chapel, maintain the land around it, welcome weary travelers if they come.  We don't get many as you probably can see," he answered.  "Or did you mean me personally? What I do here?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Yes," she said with a yawn. "You personally. What sort of job do you hold?"

Lion

Mercuxio felt a cold fist seep down into his gut even as he drank his tea.  The warmth calmed that feeling for a few minutes, and he gave her a small smile.  "My personal duties are the same as the others," he said.  "I came here for a respite, and it is only proper that I contribute.  I prefer to tend the garden, feel my fingers in the earth.  I feel closer to the world, to Ansgar, if that's not a clichéd way of putting it."

Merric smiled sadly and took another sip.  "I'm a priest, as you can plainly see.  As I've told you before.  There's not much glamor to it.  It is a very basic life if anything.   What else could you imagine me doing?" 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

It seemed she gave a sigh of relief to hear his duties were as one would suspect. Considering what she had been through on the darker side of the church.... she had very good reasons to be wary of those who bear it's crest. But Mercuxio was different, and well.... there had been a time when the two had been very close. And what faith she had in him was not lost, even if her faith was slipping away from her and her belief's in Angsar.

But she was a strong woman, through and through, and was not about to let those with a darker intent get the better of her. As far as she had seen it, she had won- she was free, and she'd remain so as long as she could. And she couldn't let herself hold onto ties here, even if she so desperately wanted to. Claiming those feelings... those memories...
They might be the antidote to making her break.

Life had just been too cruel.

Yes...
It would only make sense to start over again.

It was then Attalia blinked and came back to her senses, and found herself laughing through closed lips as she lowered her gaze.
"Forgive me... my mind wandered. But you?" She tilted her head and smirked. "I can only suspect you'd be doing the best at what ever Angsar called you for." And she stared at him curiously before lifting her cup of tea.
"What sort of rank do you hold?" she asked, taking a sip.

Lion

"I am a simple priest," he said with a nonchalant shrug.  "Nothing more."  His face was drawn suddenly.  Even when he tried to cover his expression with his cup of tea, there was a sadness to his eyes and his shoulders drooped ever so slightly.

He forced a smile and tilted his head.  "How soon were you planning on leaving?" he asked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

She caught his expression, and recalling his reaction from earlier, it was no surprise he might still be upset.
"I don't know," she replied quietly. "I suppose the sooner the better."

Lion

"I agree," he said curtly, but then his expression softened and he dropped his head.

Several long minutes passed and he found his tea no longer appetizing.  "So why tell me then?  Why not just leave?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn