Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Fate Changer

Started by visualspice, March 31, 2014, 09:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This is continued from this thread.
--------

The tassels from her palanquin bounced along against the sway of the drapery that concealed the young Shah from the merciless rays of sunlight. It's flags towered sharply towards the skies, and a east-ward wind flapped them anxiously over head, the very noise and sounds of their shadows only increasing the anxiety growing inside Persea. And flanking all sides of her palanquin were the most strongest of men, who held their heads up high and carried the Shah and her closest slave, Malika, through the streets and towards her palace.

She was thankful that her entourage met with no delay, for trying to leave the Colosseum after such an event was chaotic, and she was thankful for the men who guarded her. She had never seen a riot before, but heard terrifying stories of times past when the people would turn into an uproar- and became a force to be reckoned with. It was so powerful, even one of the God-Kings of the past had fallen beneath their wrath- and this very fact terrified her like no other.

"Please, to the palace, swiftly." And she had kept near to her guards, and Malika, until she was now moving in the streets. She chanced but one glance back to the towering structure of the Colosseum with a frown. Her first time in the Colosseum had been sullied, and with it, her pride had sunk, as, she dared guess, her reputation. And she felt vulnerable for it, so the moment she was inside her palace, she commanded her men to bring to her the High Priest. She needed to consult him on this matter of two slaves defying her.

What should she do? A public execution? Exile? Flogging? Hanging? Behead them?
All of these thoughts rolled through her head as she paced about restlessly, while the train of her dress dragged across the floor in her wake like a silken river. She fussed over the sheer fabrics of her dress and the gold bangles adorning her arms held so much sweat, the decorative paints across her skin beneath her attire was beginning to run. And she hated imperfection as she screamed out for Malika to help her fix her crown, which was now askew, as was her wig.

And she was flushed, thought it was hard to tell through all of the layers of paint that decorated her skin. And she gave a huff, her nerves being so shot, she could have struck Malika when the girl accidentally yanked at her hair.
But then the massive doors opened in her Sanctuary and as the Shah whirled around, she was relieved at the man who stepped through the gilded doors.

"Taj!" She exclaimed, and rushed towards him, taking his hand and kissing at his cheeks in greeting, but also in haste. "Oh, you have missed it! Today was awful, simply awful!"
And her gold painted lips were trembling, and her jade colored eyes threatened to spill tears.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Taj was in his study, reed brush in hand as he took down notes from a document he was mulling over, when the doors burst open so abruptly his hand jerked--so his brush stroke went right off the page and onto the table. He closed his eyes for a second, reined in his annoyance, and pulled his face into its usual serene expression before he lifted his head and found himself looking at two soldiers.

Two antsy looking soldiers.

"Can I help you?" he asked, setting his brush aside and rising to his feet.

"Your Holiness, there's been some trouble," one of the men stated. "Her Majesty has requested you at once."

Trouble? Taj worked his face into an expression of concern even as it wanted to warp into one of interest. With a frown, he started for the door. "Take me to her."

One of the benefits of having his own wing in the palace was he had quick access to capitalize on emergencies. The soldiers opened the door to the Persea's sanctuary and Taj bustled on inside, long pleated robes swishing about his legs. No sooner had he entered the room when Persea herself came rushing to him, her greeting hasty--for she was quite obviously distressed.

Excellent.

"Your Majesty?" he said when he could get a word in, taking a step back so he could look her over as though wanting to be sure she was unharmed. "What happened? Are you hurt?" But then, seeing that she was otherwise okay, he let out a relieved breath. "Here, why don't you come sit with me and you can tell me everything. Fetch her some water!" he called to a waiting servant.

With a light touch to her shoulder, he directed her toward the plush cushions, and waited for her to take her seat before he could take his. "Now, take a deep breath. Whatever happened, you're going to be okay now. Alright? Now what happened today?"

He had an inkling. She had gone to the Colosseum today, after all. Perhaps she had been a bit too faint of heart to handle the bloodshed.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

"Water?" she cringed at such a suggestion and shook her head of it as she took a seat upon a plushy chaise lounge nearby. "This requires wine, and lots of it!"

Frowning now more fully, she peered up into his hazel eyes, as she had done so many times before, in her youth,a nd now, in her budding womanhood.
"Today was horrid! Absolutely horrid! And now all of the Essyrni will see me as weak and unauthoritative!"
Her eyes threatened to spill tears, but somehow she had kept them back, as rage over took her, along with sadness and fear.
"Did you not hear the news? Oh, it was dreadful. Not only did I have to watch a woman fight, but command her death. And when I did so, her opponent refused! And then they both walked out! Just like that! Straight out of the Colosseum! Oh, you should have been there! But perhaps it was better you were not, for I then found the entire populace of the Colosseum upset! And now I am so angry and confused! Oh Taj, can you not help direct me in my time of misery? I ordered those offenders here, to deal with them properly beneath my own rules, my own roof, my own laws." Being as they apparently did not wish to obey her in the open air of the Colosseum! She took his hand now and squeezed them, eyes desperately glued to his.
"Tell me what I must do! How shall I deal with such offenders?"
Oh, if only her father was alive!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Taj took a seat beside her and turned to listen, brow first furrowed in concern, and then raising with surprise at what she described--and genuine surprise, at that. An Essyrni slave had rebelled, then? Maybe it was a tiny rebellion, but it was rebellion nonetheless. To refuse the Shah's direct order? To just...ignore it complete and walk away? For both slaves to walk away? That was no small matter. If a slave could disobey the Shah without consequence, what was stopping the people from disobeying her?

And they would disobey a leader they couldn't respect, couldn't fear.

The obvious solution was a very public, very bloody spectacle to handle that transgression.

Taj let out a low sigh and squeezed her hand back when she squeezed his. "I knew I should have gone with you," he said with a shake of his head. "I had a feeling this would be hard for you. The games can be...alarming the first time. The first few times, actually..."

Meeting her eyes, he watched her grimly. "I'm afraid the easy answer would be to execute them, of course," he answered at last. "And I have a feeling you already know that, that you've already considered that, otherwise you wouldn't have come to me for council. And you no doubt know that if you did that, your people would see you not as weak then, but as authoritative, strong..." He paused. "And fearsome."

Reaching out, he covered Persea's hand with his own, placing her hand between both of his. "No doubt, you know that's the proper choice, but not the right choice. Your Majesty, I urge you to make the right decision. I urge you to show them mercy. Killing them would be easy, but I know you, child. And I know you're not a murderer. You can be strong, you can command authority, and you can do it by being loved rather than hated. Anyone else would see them flogged and beheaded, their heads skewered to serve as a warning for others...but that's not you."

He looked into her eyes, expression grave. "This isn't an easy decision, Your Majesty. I don't envy you an ounce. But mercy can be as powerful a tool as wrath. Fear can make people unpredictable, angry...but if you spare them, the news will travel. Those slaves will tell their friends. And they will know you as a fair but just ruler, someone they can respect--because clearly, by their actions, fear was not working on them. If fear already wasn't working, more fear will only make them more volatile. When something isn't working, after all, you change it."

Taj smiled at her then. "And I fully believe you can be that change, Persea."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

"Spare them?" What sort of cruel suggestion was this? The surprise was evident in her face, as Persea rarely wore her mask of emotion around him. "And what do I say to these two? Congratulations for defying me? You can go on with your lives and I am a fool to show you mercy?"
But he was right, and the prickling in her eyes showed it as she pouted.

"Oh, but Taj, what if that is not well recieved? What if there is no end to this insatiable power they seek? For what else would a slave want but power?- For that is what he can not have." She shook her head.

"They must think I'm a fool. But I can not let them think that, but oh- yes! The events were so startling I just... I do not understand it fully, and maybe I would have had my father not been so protective of me. And listened so obediently to my mother. Then, maybe then, I would not have been so surprised, and would have known how to deal with them! And of the show!"

Shaking her head, she mulled over the idea.
"Show mercy!" Oh, the idea made her laugh, but instead of laughing, she found herself suddenly in tears.

Rhindeer

Taj remained calm even in the face of Persea's distress. When she had finished, he squeezed her hand.

"Your Majesty, please remember--these are slaves," Taj said, head slightly tilted. "And not just slaves, but gladiators. Uneducated men and women living as savages, tearing each other apart for sport. We cannot speak of these slaves as we do of people, Your Majesty. It's my belief that they had no concept of what they'd done, no idea of the kind of weight their actions carried."

He squeezed her hand again. "I would not believe their actions to be an act of deliberate defiance, but one of desperation. You said the man refused to kill the woman--have you considered they might know each other? As friends, family, even lovers? Slave or not, having to kill someone you're that close to would be...well, that would be unimaginable. Perhaps, even, at the order of the Shah herself."

He motioned for a servant to fetch a kerchief, and held it out to her when they did. "I doubt those slaves were thinking much of anything beyond saving their own skin. Slaves don't seek power. They seek survival, Your Majesty. Now please, dry your eyes; they're too pretty to be red. Today was not your fault, and nothing could have prepared you, and this day is not yet ruined. That's why you're here, and that's why you made the right decision to have them brought here. You can still save the situation--and save face."

visualspice

Persea blinked. In a profound way, that made sense. But had she almost lost herself to grief by being so upset over slaves? But they looked like all other people...
sometimes it was hard to tell.
She lowered her green eyes in shame at the thought and took the offered kerchief and dabbed prettily at her eyes.

"You show me mercy, and now I must show them it..."
She could have laughed at such an idea if she didn't want to cry again.
"But what if it does not work? What if they wish to strike me?"
For the eyes of the man behind the helmet bore into her. What if the man wanted her dead?

Rhindeer

"If they wish to strike you?" Taj gave her a startled look, eyebrows raised. "If they tried to strike you, they'd be dead before they took a step. Your guard will be present, Your Majesty. They wouldn't dare."

He gave a light shrug. "But I don't think they'll try to hurt you. I doubt that's even what they want--they likely just want to come out of this alive. No, I think they'll be terrified out of their minds, being lowly slaves dragged here for an audience before the Shah herself. They'll be expecting bloody punishment, after all."

visualspice

Persea stared at him.
"So..... then we aim to surprise them?" she said with a blink. "To think, they come in fear.."
Like he had said.
"And come out with their lives.."
The idea was perplexing, yet confusing to her, even as it oddly made some odd bit of sense.

Rhindeer

Taj couldn't help but grin at that. "Whether that was the intent or not, it's a little too late now; the summons was already given. Of course they'll be scared, and of course they'll be surprised. Any previous Shah would have them dragged to the arena and dismembered."

A servant arrived with the wine Persea requested, and Taj held a glass of it out for her. "But it's a good surprise. It's your chance to show that you're different."

visualspice

But Persea wasn't sure she wanted to be different. It made her skin crawl.
"But I still feel they ought to be punished..."
It still seemed as if they were getting off to easily. Though maybe these fighters were just like dogs- for she knew beating her own hounds only made her feel terrible, and she had all but given up that practice when the guilt was too much. But sometimes her hounds could be quite the nuisance.

Rhindeer

"Oh, you may punish them if you wish," Taj said. "Send them away to clean the latrines. Have them beaten. Make them shave their heads. But don't execute them, and don't torture them. See them kept in one piece. And consider..."

Taj sighed. "Consider the scriptures, Your Majesty. What the man did was bold, to be sure. But there are tales in the scriptures of men sparing their enemies in the field, and Hakeshna looked upon them favorably. Sparing their enemies didn't make them weak, for it takes a strong man to know when to use his sword, and when to stay his hand. I can council you, but I can't make this decision for you. You now have to decide whether you're strong because you use the sword, or strong because you abstain."

visualspice

His words were so noble, so deep, she felt a.stirring deep within her breast. But truthfully, she wasn't sure she was strong enough for both.
"If it is Hakeshna's will..." Though part of her feared.this, she knew in her heart that he was right.
"Then come. Help me.prepare. I want to be as.ready for these slaves as I would for any diplomat I meet."
It was time to prepare herself for her own battle.

Rhindeer

Rising to his feet, Taj offered Persea his hand--and offered her a reassuring smile to go with it. "As you wish, Your Majesty."

Lion

The caged wagon used to house the gladiator was worn and rusty and the wood had splintered here and there.  It was too small to sit and so Agrian sat crouched in low ceilinged contraption and it rolled out through the crowded streets, with Habib at the helm.  When they'd finally gotten under way, his rotund master had a severely pale look to him as if his dinner had failed to stay down and his stomach continued to protest, doing flip-flops around his belly again and again.

Which suited the bugger just fine.  He needed to lose a little weight, Agrian thought grimly.  His expression grew darker still when he noticed a splinter had gotten through his knees and he plucked one out with minor irritation.  And just as he looked up the immaculate vision of the Shah's palace emerged from beneath the slabs of sandstone and thatched roofs.

He had to admit, the Shah certainly knew how to live in style.  The palace was larger than any manor house his father had ever owned - where his damnable bastard of a half-brother now sat in his own right - and Agrian's eyes widened to take in the enormity of the abode.  The mules that pulled the carriage were taken through the golden gates, large doors opened by ropes and gears hidden in the very walls of the palace courtyard themselves.

Agrian could feel his heart pounding in anticipation.  He did not let it show, he couldn't for not only his sake, but for the sake of the one residing in the other barred carriage rolling along behind his.  He at least had the courtesy of his helmet, one he refused to part with despite Habib's protests.

The little fat man could have his revenge later, for now they had a Shah to impress.

The slaves were pulled from the carriages when at last the stopped at the doors.  Agrian cut his eyes to Yasmin, pausing for a brief second before Habib pushed him into the steps.  Agrian fell hard, but was soon dragged to his feet and he hobbled along with bruises on his knees.  But instead of being pulled through the doors, he was dragged out to the side, toward a servant's entrance before being shown inside.

Agrian's eyes were quick and he studied the hallway they were shown through, all the while Habib spoke behind him.

"You will not be allowed to taint Shah Persea's entrance hall.  That is reserved for the most worthy.  Not for rebellious slaves that don't know their place," Habib snapped.

Agrian smiled, though he didn't turn his head to look behind him.  "Then what are you doing following me?"

Habib undoubtedly turned as red as a cherry, and was spewing out steam from his ears.  Agrian was careful to keep his laughter internal as they were led into the audience chamber.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

That wagon ride was the longest ride of Yasmin's life.

And not just because it was uncomfortable; she was used to discomfort, though the cramped space and bars made her feel like...like some animal on display. It was humiliating, but she supposed that was the point--and there wasn't much pride in a slave's life. But worse than that was the anxiety, the anticipation.

Because she wasn't the only one who had been summoned. Agrian had, too. Fidgeting, Yasmin picked at the skin around her fingernails and watched the wagon ahead of hers, wishing she could catch Agrian's eye, because he always seemed to have an answer, and right now she needed one. And even as she thought that, she hated herself a little for it, hated that she'd slipped up over the years and allowed herself to grow attached to the man--to view him, truly, as a friend and mentor, someone she could trust outside the arena, which was more than she could say about most people. It was a little embarrassing, this craving reassurance, but...

She just needed to know what made him so certain that they weren't both going to be executed, because he had seemed so confident in his answer when she'd expressed that fear earlier.

The wagons came to a halt before the palace, and by then she felt ready to shred the walls from sheer nerves. The palace was huge, making her feel ridiculously small in its shadow.

And within those walls, the Shah resided. And she held their very lives in her hands.

"Stop gawkin' and get out already! We don't got all day!" her master snapped, jerking her out of her daze. Climbing out of the wagon, Yasmin was relieved to be able to just stretch, but it was short-lived as her master gave her a push to get moving, and she saw that Agrian and his own master were already underway.

Yasmin met Agrian's eyes when he looked at her, gave a lopsided, nervous grin beneath her veil and wiggled her fingers in an awkward wave, hoping she didn't look as anxious as she felt. But then Agrian's master was shoving the man along and her own master followed suit. Yasmin winced at Agrian's fall--and noted that there were steps there, and watched herself so she, too, wouldn't take a spill with her master hastily pushing her along like she didn't know how to walk.

"You're to be on your best behavior," Yasmin heard her master say as they headed through a servant's entrance. "Ya hear? Try and act like an actual woman for once, if ya even know how. No funny business, no goofin' off..."

Yasmin couldn't help it. She laughed, a dry, closed-mouth laugh that came out in the form of a snort.

"Something funny about that?"

"This entire situation is funny, sir," Yasmin said. "How stupid you think I am, that you want me to be ladylike now, that I'd 'goof off' before the bloody Shah, that I might be executed for not being executed..." She covered her mouth with her hand to muffle more laughter--accidentally eating veil in the process. Which, of course, made her laugh harder. Tears sprang to her eyes and she shook her head, because nothing about this was funny, and even what she was laughing about was stupid, but her nerves were so frayed it was about the only thing she could do.

Because the alternative was screaming.

"It's hilarious."

visualspice

Her nervousness might have out shined even the terrifying fear that resided within both the slaves awaiting their fate. She had bee bathed, groomed and properly tended to, and Malika, she realized, had never once left her side. But she needed her here, needed her now more than ever as she sat in a chair, perched much like a bird, as her slave finished tending to her hair.

Fine, thin braids adorned with bejeweled beads hung about her head, and her body, now glistening wtih gold paint and oils, glowed beneath the sheer fabrics of a new robe, and barely kept her youthful, naked body modest. But as an Essyrn, she had no shame in her body, and in fact, reveled in the perfection of her youth.

And she released a hot sigh, nerves steeling beneath her as she felt her palms grow greasy with sweat.
"That is enough, Malika. Please, get my crown, my septar, and the blue lapis lazuli necklace. The one mixed with the gold beads." And she gave a few impatient snaps of her fingers before glancing up at her High Priest.

"To show mercy," she repeated, and gave a dry, nervous laugh. "Do you think my father would approve?" Or would have done so? She couldn't say...
And what of her mother? She wasn't sure how she felt about her. Her mother was always a figure so far away from her- held up on a pedestal even far greater than her father....

She shook the thoughts away and peered up into Taj's light brown eyes, then when she heard Malika return, she smiled and turned to her slave.
"It would be easy if the slaves I had to deal with were you, Malika." she told her, and rose from her gilded stool and took her slaves face in her hands and kissed both her cheeks softly. "For you, you are like my sister. And my blood I could forgive." And she smiled at her, but even this simple gesture of affection did not relieve all of her nerves.

Drawing in a breath, she turned away and took a seat again, and waited for Malika to finish adorning her attire wtih the golden jewels meant to accent and bedazzle the youthful Shah- to remind all of her place of power and wealth, and to also amplify the truth behind the rumors of her beauty...

For as she sat there, she looked like the Jewel of the Desert- albeit, a sad and nervous version of one.

Ivory

Malika's smile was brilliant as Persea showered her with affection.  She needn't tell her mistress she wouldn't have blatantly disobeyed like that in the first place -- she was certain she already knew.

"Mistress, whatever your decision, it is the right decision.  You are the Shah."  It was a matter of simple fact to Malika...  Who were the common people to judge whether her mistress's decisions were correct -- they obviously were, of course!

Perhaps it would sound harsh to say, but...  Mercy was not what she would have expected...  She loved Mistress dearly, but if she embarrassed her so terribly in front of so many, she would have expected nothing less than a harsh punishment...

visualspice

Even with her supportive slave, she still felt her belly churn nervously. She placed a hand over her belly, then glanced to Taj.
"Mercy- but punishment. I think they deserve that. But what sort of things does one do to punish another's slave?"

Rhindeer

One of the benefits of being a High Priest and someone held in such high esteem was that Taj had access to areas other people did not.

Such as the Shah's private quarters, where he could watch her change. Of course, he kept his observations subtle so she wouldn't notice, but having known her since her youth, he couldn't help but admire how she'd grown and filled out, nor could he help but appreciate the curves of her nubile young body. Priest though he might be, he was still a man.

But he could only enjoy it for so long, because it was right back to business.

"Your slave is correct, you know," he said, approaching her. "And you mustn't think of what your parents would do. You are the Shah, Your Majesty. You are not your parents. You must think of what you will do."

He paused a moment to think on her question, and a thought soon came to him. No. She was absolutely correct. Someone did need to be punished today. Having mercy on the slaves would be unpopular, which was fantastic in his eyes--but it wasn't enough. Persea was a smart girl, and the doubts she kept expressing showed as much. She knew, deep down, that mercy was the wrong decision. She knew the slaves needed to be punished, and though she was a gentle girl, though the idea of it obviously tormented her, she might crack at the end and follow in her father's footsteps anyway, because she was strong enough to know what leadership meant.

He couldn't have that.

He needed to redirect her.

With a low sigh, he shook her head. "Perhaps mercy is the wrong word choice," Taj said at last. "I suggested you show the slaves mercy, but you're absolutely correct--justice needs to be done today. I know you're not going to like this, and it pains me to suggest this, but..."

He met her eyes. "The slaves may not know any better, but their masters do. And they should have been properly training and disciplining their slaves to ensure something like this didn't happen. If anyone is to blame for today's debacle, it is the slaves' masters for letting things grow so out of hand. They should have seen the signs and broken them of such disobedience."