Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

After the Storm [Lion rawr!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 05, 2014, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"Don't worry!  You're not the only one who's ever felt that way, I'm sure.  Relax, Yasmin, we're friends.  No matter how much your talking might try to deter me from it," he muttered, chuckling a little.  There might have even been a quiet snort.

"It's nice.  To have friends, I mean.  I got your back, don't worry.  I hope you have mine too.  That's what friends do," he muttered, and closed his eyes.  "Now, go to sleep."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

"Of course I've got your back," Yasmin said with a grin as she nestled deeper into the cot and let out another yawn. She shut her eyes, and it was only then that the exhaustion really hit her, and her voice began to fade.

"Someone's gotta save it from Jana."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

"Ass," he grumbled to her as he promptly fell asleep.  The conversation had sent his mind at ease and sleep suddenly came very easy.  What would await them in the morning was anybody's guess.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

What woke Yasmin minutes from dawn were the nightmares. They were a near nightly occurrence--and a reason she was glad she never shared a cell. They were also why her old master kept her housed at the Colosseum, rather than at his own massive home.

Because she tended to come out of them screaming.

Which was exactly what happened that morning, as what started out as restless tossing and turning ended in her snapping awake with a scream and bolting upright, scrambling backwards on the cot from some perceived threat as, for a moment, dreams blended with reality. But then she realized where she was, sitting on her cot, her back against the wall, and Agrian in the other one, and she dug her fingers into her arms until it hurt to ground herself, and took deep breaths while counting to calm down.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Agrian jerked awake when she screamed.  He blinked at Yasmin, staring at her wide-eyed when at last she grounded herself.  He got out of his cot and knelt beside her, putting a hand on her arm.  "Another one of your dreams?" he asked, eyes genuinely concerned. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin jumped a little at his touch, but then calmed under it and exhaled slowly. She let out a shaky laugh, her heart still racing and face still pale. "Yeah, the usual bullshit," she said. "Can't really remember much, but I think I recall Jana's smothering breasts and puckering lips. Your fault."

She flashed another weak smile at him. That hadn't been what she'd dreamed at all, from the vague flashes in her memory, but she it was an attempt to diffuse the horror with humor.

Lion

Even Agrian wasn't buying that bull.  He wasn't smiling, not even in mild amusement.  "You know that's not true," he said, trying to stay gentle.  "I used to hear them all the way down the corridor into my cell.  I know something's wrong when I hear it.  What was it about?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin's cheeks colored at that. "That loud, huh? Wow...that's...awkward," she said, and rubbed at her arm where she'd left small bruises. No wonder she got dirty looks in the morning, rousing the entire block, no doubt! Ughhh...

"Alright, you caught me. So it wasn't about Jana. It was about, uh..." More fidgeting. "Heh. It always sounds kinda silly when you say it out loud! For reals, though, it was about the arena. I was wading through the blood draining from the corpses around me. Eleven of them," she said, rubbing at the black tattoos on her fingers. She shuddered. "Then, er, they woke up and tried to kill me. As dead people do, I guess."

Lion

Agrian nodded and released his hand from her arm.  It didn't sound pleasant, and he supposed that kind of thing stayed with you.  He wasn't going to lie and say that he never felt anything of the kind when he first began fighting for sport.

"It's all right," he said, looking at her from the corner of his eyes.  "Did they try to eat you too?  You look rather squishy."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"I beg your pardon? Squishy?" Yasmin said, folding her arms over her chest and giving Agrian her best attempt at looking stern. "Are you calling me fat?"

Lion

"Yes," he said with raised brows and reached in to poke her stomach.  "Squishy."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Well, I never!" Yasmin gasped, giving his hand a playful slap. "As if you can talk! I saw the way your thighs jiggled when we fought!"

Lion

"So is that an admission to checking out my thighs?" he said with a raised brow, snickering.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Reaching out, Yasmin gave his thigh a squeeze. "I can't help it, thunderthighs," she said, deadpan. "The jiggling, it's hypnotic. That's the real reason you beat me, you know. I didn't actually give up. You put me in a trance."

Lion

"Damn straight!  Look at that!  Muscle everywhere!  You don't get legs like that in a Prince's palace.  Jiggling your ass," Agrian  'pfft'ed and laughed.  He reached for her hand and pat it between his own.  "At least you put your nightmare behind you.  For now anyway."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin's deadpan expression broke, and she snorted a laugh. Oh, Agrian. He certainly knew how to cheer her up! Meeting him for the first time, all those years ago, she never would have pegged the fierce, mighty, intimidating brute as the sort of man she'd be able to have entire conversations about, well...

Jiggling thighs and sweat-based aphrodisiacs.

And she wouldn't have it any other way.

She smiled at him, far more calm and relaxed now, and put her free hand over his own. "Thank you," she said. "Seriously, that helped. A lot." She wasn't really very practiced at sincere thank yous, since she didn't get much opportunity to give them, but she hoped he realized it really did mean a lot.

"Now, what about you?" she said after a pause. "How're you holding up? Honestly?"

Lion

"Honestly, I'm...okay.  Just okay.  I'm sick of the waiting, frankly.  But I slept better than I had in years.  Now that I don't have a master - not currently anyway - I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me.  I wonder if we'll get to watch their heads coming off.  Yours got carted away too, didn't it?" Agrian asked, looking out to the small window above their heads, and wondering if it led out into the courtyard.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"He--it," Yasmin corrected with a wry smile, rather preferring the dehumanizing way Agrian had addressed her former master. It seemed fitting, after the dehumanizing way it had treated her for so much of her life. "It got carted off, but only yours is to be executed. Mine's getting tossed out into the desert."

She let out a snort. "Good riddance. The ponce won't last two hours before it's food for the vultures. No survival skills whatsoever, and lazy as a worm."

Following Agrian's gaze, she looked up at the window--and then gave a small jolt. "Oh! That's right! Yours was to be killed at dawn, right?" she asked, and rose to her feet with a small grunt. Her body felt sore and stiff. "It's almost dawn. Or is dawn. Hard to tell in this light. Do you wanna try and see out?" she asked, motioning to the window. "I could try and boost you."

Lion

"I'm strong like bull, remember?" Agrian said, gesturing to the window.  "I'll boost you up.  You can get a look and tell me what you see.  I know he was my master but in light of our friendship, I'll let you do the honors."

And just when he was about to boost her up, there was a banging on the cell door.  "You two.  Come with me."  The helmeted man opened it up, sword at the ready in cast.  Agrian turned to him and took his helmet from the bed, slipping it over his face.

"What's this for?" he asked.

"You are to accompany me to the courtyard," he answered simply, no emotion evident in his voice.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin's stomach clenched, a sick feeling churning deep within her. For all that hanging out in a cell wasn't ideal, strangely enough, for those hours she had managed to kind of forget about the outside world and what awaited them. Crazy as it was, she could have stayed in that place longer.

Were their heads going to roll with that of Agrian's master?

Feeling ill, Yasmin followed along with Agrian, sliding in close to him.

"Alright, thunderthighs," she said, squeezing him on the shoulder. A bit too hard, her anxiety pouring into her grip. She kept her voice low. "Serious question. When I die, what crude gesture should I die doing and how long does it take before rigor sets in? You know, so the pose really holds. I'm thinking something symbolic of the way I came into the world, and of how the world treated me after."

As she said it, she held up both hands, middle fingers up and aimed at the guard in front of them.